PDA

View Full Version : A Small Animal Among Bigger Ones

Lady Ignite
03-12-13, 10:08 am
The crowd, the rage, The CAGE… I’ve never been here before, but being here just makes sense. I feel like I am in the place I am supposed to be. This is my element. Cyclones of enthusiastic people scatter up and down the vast isles of free t-shirts, samples and random giveaways, vamped up models, perfect bodies, upbeat popular music, bright signs and glitz. Among all that, an oasis: The Cage.

I raise my eyes toward the ceiling and locate the rugged and distinguished Animal logo. Here I go... I make my way through what can only be described as the dance floor of the most popular local club on a Saturday night, minus the drunken people spilling their drinks down my back. A mass of fans and curious onlookers press up against the metal that houses the accomplished athletes and enthusiast who have been invited inside to pay homage to the “hardcore” appellation and the experience. As I get called inside the steel, it is clear that this brand has set itself apart from the rest of the industry.

Animal appeals to the passionate lifter. It captures a sense of the realness in the lifestyle. To me, Animal is resilient and raw. It is serious, dark and hard working. It is a word that requires a dedication to a certain way of living. Unlike the other booths and companies I see in the expo hall, The CAGE is not about glitz and the popular buzz. In The CAGE, there are no free giveaways. No lines for free samples. Animal seems to believe that you cannot create an accomplishment or a loyal fan with a single serving packet. Being fit, or in-shape, is an act of repetition and commitment. This is the only place on the expo floor where there is a schedule of events happening aside from the general show. The masses are gathered on their own accord and not by the swaying sense of “getting free stuff.”

And here I am… Me. I am in and taking it all in. There are very large and muscular men creating personal records on various strength markers – deadlifters, raw bench pressers and no-handed squatters, among others. A 700 lb. raw bench press with ease? A 130 lb. silent killer who deadlifts well over 600 pounds? Yes and yes. I am now inside what many have deemed “a man’s world.” Is that right? I’m not sure. All I know is, I just feel like a smaller animal amid bigger animals in a space that celebrates passion and dedication. You can feel it in the air – everyone feels exactly like I do.

So who am I? I’m just someone who takes pride in the same things as the male athletes. I’m just a NPC bikini competitor. When I stand on the stage, the audience may only see makeup, heels, long hair, sparkle, bling and femininity. Everything may look glamorous. But this is only the outer shell; inside, I'm someone who takes great pride in my dedication to a self-rewarding sport where there is no substitute for hard work and good nutrition and supplementation. That's why I feel the way I do. The CAGE is a place where people strive to be better and limits are not seen as finish lines, but as new starting points. It is a lifestyle that it gritty, rugged, disciplined, real, raw… And I love it.

I felt very welcomed here. A huge honor and a very exciting moment was being able to flex my tiny forearm next to the infamous, vascular and massive forearm of Frank “The Wrath” McGrath. I was excited to tell him, “I have been staring at your forearm since 2006.” You see my local gym displays many of the unforgettable Animal posters on the wall. To me this moment symbolized where I was and how far I had come. I was lucky enough to be able to have that moment frozen in a picture.

As my stay came to and end, after countless texts, tweets and posts, I prepared for my eight hour drive back home. I knew it wasn't going to be easy leaving this place. Once on the road and not far into my drive, I received a text from a girlfriend. She wrote, “Thank you for the awesome news feed.” With new inspiration, I look forward to my continuing journey. I don't expect it to be easy or unchallenging, but I do expect it to be rewarding.

deanna7272
03-12-13, 10:16 am
Could not have said it better myself... From the passion that can be read between the lines that you wrote, I am guessing it's fair to say.... Welcome... ;-)

JUGGERNAUT
03-12-13, 10:53 am
welcome

P Diesel
03-12-13, 11:04 am
thank u so much for ur insight. it is home here, and u captured the moment of the cage perfectly.

P

Lady Ignite
03-12-13, 11:07 am
Thank you for the warm welcome :)

Kowboy
03-12-13, 11:24 am
You pretty much nailed the cage in my eyes. IT doesn't focus on male or female just those w/ the passion for lifting. You definitely found home. Enjoy your stay.

P Diesel
03-12-13, 11:41 am
Thank you for the warm welcome :)

ur very welcome :) where are u located

P

Universal Rep
03-12-13, 11:54 am
Dedication is dedication no matter how ya slice it. Captured the essence of the CAGE perfectly, LI... Welcome.

Lady Ignite
03-12-13, 11:59 am
Hey P, I am from jersey. I wear high heels, big sunglasses, and big jewelry but for the love of god, please dont call me snookie ;-).

I look forward to being an active member on the forum. I have competed in two bikini compeitions in the past and I am looking forward to more later this year.

This sport is like a journey and I am always ready for the ride.

naturalguy
03-12-13, 12:43 pm
Great write up, you really captured the feeling of The Cage

Phil800101
03-12-13, 12:56 pm
Good stuff, and right on! I definitely agree with what others have said about capturing the essence of The Cage. Welcome!

P Diesel
03-12-13, 1:22 pm
Hey P, I am from jersey. I wear high heels, big sunglasses, and big jewelry but for the love of god, please dont call me snookie ;-).

I look forward to being an active member on the forum. I have competed in two bikini compeitions in the past and I am looking forward to more later this year.

This sport is like a journey and I am always ready for the ride.

haha no snookie, will do. make sure u keep an eye out for out Animal Barbell Club events in the area. we have them quite frequently and always welcome new comers.

P

Lady Ignite
03-12-13, 1:33 pm
haha no snookie, will do. make sure u keep an eye out for out Animal Barbell Club events in the area. we have them quite frequently and always welcome new comers.

P

I would love to come to Animal Barbell Club and I will keep a look out. Thanks! There is never a bad time to learn something new.

Kowboy
03-12-13, 1:46 pm
I know for me at an ABC I always lift stronger, many PR's have been had at ABC's

Universal Rep
03-12-13, 2:07 pm
I know for me at an ABC I always lift stronger, many PR's have been had at ABC's

Not just that T, the ABCs really capture much about what Animal, the idea and the mission, truly stands for...

Kowboy
03-12-13, 2:18 pm
Not just that T, the ABCs really capture much about what Animal, the idea and the mission, truly stands for...

Def the vibe from all like minded people genuinely cheering for you is awesome. For me it is hard to explain just something you feel when you go to one.

Lady Ignite
03-12-13, 2:23 pm
Def the vibe from all like minded people genuinely cheering for you is awesome. For me it is hard to explain just something you feel when you go to one.

Perhaps the extra motivation and inspiration in the air is catching.

Kowboy
03-12-13, 2:26 pm

I try to treat every session like an ABC now days.

Universal Rep
03-12-13, 2:27 pm

Not sure it can be put into words... And no amount of writin about it can ever truly capture the feelin of being there, am I rite?

Animal is contagious...

deanna7272
03-12-13, 2:41 pm
Not sure it can be put into words... And no amount of writin about it can ever truly capture the feelin of being there, am I rite?

Animal is contagious...

Ditto squared...

The Ant
03-13-13, 6:24 pm
Awesome write up, im pump and ready to do it all again!