PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Diet and Stomach Problems

rbowman91
03-18-13, 11:18 am
Been on a high-protein , low-carb cutting diet to lean out a little bit. Nothing to excessive, but definitley a switch from my normal bulking diet.

Stomach has been upset a majority of the time from high protein/ low carbs. WHat do you guys do to digest better? Just makes me feel bloated and gassy, which suprresses my hunger. I want to be able to get all my meals in without forcing it and bloating.

Suggestions?

ajoaks
03-18-13, 9:30 pm
Been on a high-protein , low-carb cutting diet to lean out a little bit. Nothing to excessive, but definitley a switch from my normal bulking diet.

Stomach has been upset a majority of the time from high protein/ low carbs. WHat do you guys do to digest better? Just makes me feel bloated and gassy, which suprresses my hunger. I want to be able to get all my meals in without forcing it and bloating.

Suggestions?

honestly man, when I did the same diet for about 2 weeks, I couldn't stand it. It was awful and I felt like crap all the time. The only thing that I did that helped somewhat was eat a lot of green fibrous veggies and up the fats a little bit more and lower the protein. Regardless, in my opinion, a low carb diet for a long period of time is tough to stick with. Good luck to you though man.

rbowman91
03-19-13, 11:04 am
honestly man, when I did the same diet for about 2 weeks, I couldn't stand it. It was awful and I felt like crap all the time. The only thing that I did that helped somewhat was eat a lot of green fibrous veggies and up the fats a little bit more and lower the protein. Regardless, in my opinion, a low carb diet for a long period of time is tough to stick with. Good luck to you though man.

yah i mean i wouldn't call it a "low carb diet". its morel iek a bodybuilder cutting diet, just not as extreme as some guys who do pre-contest keto. shit just backs me up somethin nasty

JeremyT
03-19-13, 1:36 pm
How low carb are we talking here? Is this an actual keto diet with like <25g of carbs a day or low(er) carb with 100-200?. I think you need to be more specific. Are there any foods that affect your stomach making it better or worse on a particular day? Your GI system will generally react unfavorably to sharp changes in diet or macros. If you are going really low carb maybe take a week to wean yourself off. It may take a few weeks before your fat burning, as opposed to carb burning system, to take over and you will start to feel better. Don't forget to pick your fats well, leaning heavy on the monounsatured/heavily saturated such as avacados and butter as opposed to the various polyunsat's you will find in vegetable fats will do the body good. It takes time for the stomach to 'learn' so to speak (produce more of specific enzymes, such as pepsin..ect) to break down the greater amounts of protein and your gut to produce things like more bile to break down the fats.

C.Coronato
03-19-13, 1:37 pm
Can you outline your exact diet bro?

rbowman91
03-19-13, 2:46 pm
How low carb are we talking here? Is this an actual keto diet with like <25g of carbs a day or low(er) carb with 100-200?. I think you need to be more specific. Are there any foods that affect your stomach making it better or worse on a particular day? Your GI system will generally react unfavorably to sharp changes in diet or macros. If you are going really low carb maybe take a week to wean yourself off. It may take a few weeks before your fat burning, as opposed to carb burning system, to take over and you will start to feel better. Don't forget to pick your fats well, leaning heavy on the monounsatured/heavily saturated such as avacados and butter as opposed to the various polyunsat's you will find in vegetable fats will do the body good. It takes time for the stomach to 'learn' so to speak (produce more of specific enzymes, such as pepsin..ect) to break down the greater amounts of protein and your gut to produce things like more bile to break down the fats.

low(ER). Right, were talkin like 100g's here. And i did this slowly. I used to take in about 300g's during off-season. i put on good, clean size that way. maybe fats are the issue, like ur sayin? I never paid much attention to going with different kinds. which ones would you recommend on a diet like mine?

Can you outline your exact diet bro?

Absolutely. Here is an example daily diet:

Meal 1:
plain non-fat greek yogurt
Protein-granola
Chia seeds (for a lil fiber)

Meal 2:
6-8 oz chicken breast
Quinoa (small amount)

Meal 3:
Same as above but some extra carbs for pre-workout meal

*train*

Post workout shake:
Torrent mixed with Ultra Whey Pro

Meal 4:
6-8 oz top sirloin
spinach salad

Meal 5:
eggs (5 of em with yolks)

Carbs staying around 100 on training days and 80 on rest days

Thoughts? my protein is up there but i feel like i SHOULD be around 200-250 g's (i weigh 180 currently at 5'6)

C.Coronato
03-19-13, 2:50 pm
Are you having any other Veg then the spinach salad?

IrishMike
03-19-13, 5:32 pm
I like to eat my chicken breasts on some cooked greens; like turnip or collards.

A little cajun shake and some sriracha and you're set.

It'll get stuff moving too.

Not to embarrass you, but if constipation is part of the problem, increasing your magnesium uptake can help that as well.

ajoaks
03-20-13, 10:39 am
If you are making good progress with it its hard to say changed it, but you could slowly add in carbs to get to consuming around 200g a day and see how that makes you feel, and hopefully still be leaning out. Currently I'm on a cut but still consuming 315g of carbs a day and still leaning out. I do plan to lower them some once I hit a plateau, but I don't plan on dropping below 200g. You could also try adding in a refeed day where, seeing as right now you are just consuming around 100g, you could take in around 200g or more to refill your glycogen and keep your leptin levels going properly.

JeremyT
03-20-13, 4:23 pm
low(ER). Right, were talkin like 100g's here. And i did this slowly. I used to take in about 300g's during off-season. i put on good, clean size that way. maybe fats are the issue, like ur sayin? I never paid much attention to going with different kinds. which ones would you recommend on a diet like mine?

Absolutely. Here is an example daily diet:

Meal 1:
plain non-fat greek yogurt
Protein-granola
Chia seeds (for a lil fiber)

Meal 2:
6-8 oz chicken breast
Quinoa (small amount)

Meal 3:
Same as above but some extra carbs for pre-workout meal

*train*

Post workout shake:
Torrent mixed with Ultra Whey Pro

Meal 4:
6-8 oz top sirloin
spinach salad

Meal 5:
eggs (5 of em with yolks)

Carbs staying around 100 on training days and 80 on rest days

Thoughts? my protein is up there but i feel like i SHOULD be around 200-250 g's (i weigh 180 currently at 5'6)

From the looks of your diet its basically protein and a small amount of carbs. The thing here is that you are essentially doing a low fat/low carb/high protein diet. While that may for some, for me I have found that I need to up my fat a bit when I'm going low(er) carb. I know you are probably getting something like 40-45ish grams based upon what you posted here. depends on how lean the top sirloin is, and what fat you cook everything with.

It might sound a bit nit picky but some fats are FAR superior to others, and especially for different uses. The basics are, when cooking something like eggs or chicken breast, which will be done at a high heat it is best to use a highly saturated fat with a high (re:useful) smoke point. The Best fat for cooking is virgin coconut oil. If you look up the 'pigpen' videos on Youtube with Frank 'wrath' Mcgrath and C. Coronato he also would echo what I'm saying here. The reasoning behind this is that polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats are unstable under heat and will readily change into trans fats, which are as I'm sure you know, Very Very bad for you. Obviously the usual EVOO suspect is Okay for cooking, but it is best used in a cold application such as salads, on top of cooked vegetables..ect. Although butter does tend to get a bad wrap by some, it is actually a very good fat. Yes, it is highly saturated, but the literature out there supporting its affects on heart disease is spotty at best. That said, get some good butter. Shell out the 10$/pound that the good stuff is. I'm not sure what you have in the states but I think Kerrigold (spelling) or other brands which are from grass fed cows are the best. Higher in CLA and other useful fats. For other cold applications you can't get away from good old avocado and the aforementioned EVOO. Consists mostly of mono-unsaturated fats, but the kicker is that since it is not essentially 'made' like butter or other oils it retains more of a mineral and vitamin content then other fats. Obviously a bonus for a diet that is mostly devoid of green vegetables. Stay away from ALLL vegetable oils, such as sunflower, safflower, canola oil..ect as they are extremely high in polyunsaturated fats (which for some reason were considered healthy for some time as it was believed that arterial plaque was created by saturated fats, but it is actually polyunsaturated..but that's another story)

I could go on and on... Also I see you are eating alot of quinoa. Great stuff, but I found it tough to digest, especially if it wasn't almost 'overcooked'. Try changing up your carb source for a week and see how it goes. You are getting enough protein, and if its just a fiber thing you can get that from other sources too.

Hope this helps.

rbowman91
03-20-13, 5:59 pm
What about the fat from eggs? (Yolk included). Is that okay on a cut?

rhd9132
03-20-13, 7:13 pm
What about the fat from eggs? (Yolk included). Is that okay on a cut?

Absolutely, make sure you get good healthy eggs

Aggression
03-22-13, 9:48 am
WHat do you guys do to digest better? Just makes me feel bloated and gassy, which suprresses my hunger. I want to be able to get all my meals in without forcing it and bloating.

Maybe you're eating too much? Back in the day, when I was 200lbs or so, I was consuming 300g+ protein per day. Now, at 230lbs, I barely break 200g each day. And I'm stronger. Point being, you have to listen to and learn your body. Maybe you're eating too much. Maybe cut back on protein and eat more carbs. Maybe swap some protein and/or carb selections. If sweet potatoes make you gassy, make try white potatoes. I know brown rice bloats the fuck out of me. Haven't eaten it in years. Now I stick to white rice; jasmine/basmati. Everything digests better now.

Menace
05-03-13, 3:30 pm
no one made a real mention of water intake here! make sure your getting enough water. it really helps digestion

sleepyshannon
05-07-13, 9:40 pm
when this happens to me i take a probiotic and it usually does the trick. i feel pretty confident that you could probably just use a healthy dose of gut bacteria. the one that i really like and you can usually get at any CVS is called 'align'. it doesn't need to be refrigerated. Just beware the generic brand that is supposed to be similar is actually different (different bacteria) and doesn't work as well.