PDA

View Full Version : Help a young guy out. Career, life advice.

the gift
03-20-13, 12:06 pm
Hey everybody.

I am sort of at a crossroads in my life right now. I am 21 years old and going to college on the path for medical school. Have a 3.9 GPA. I try extremely hard at everything I do in life. Just the way I am. I have always been told to find something I am passionate about and make a living doing it, then it will not feel like work at all. As much as I would love helping people everyday and being a doctor there is one thing that is always in my mind. Bodybuilding and fitness. I love everything about it: the lifestyle, the dedication and work it takes. It is really not for everyone but I absolutely love it. I see these people at these expos, online, etc doing what they love and it really gets me thinking. Why can't that be me? Why can't I have a career within the fitness industry? Am I going to be Mr Olympia? Probably not, although I do believe I could make it pro someday and that may be a possibility down the line. That however is not my overall goal or why I am asking for advice. I just simply want to do something I love every single day working in the fitness industry. I understand it would still be work but doing something I am passionate about would be great no matter what the salary.

One of my main issues with medicine is going $200k+ in debt. That scares the crap out of me. I have been on my own financially since I was 17 with no real family support system. Everything I do comes from my drive within. I am very curious to see what advice you guys might have for me. Part of me says to stay on the medical school path and live my life while still training and enjoying the lifestyle that comes with it. But another part of me wants to drop all of the medical school stuff and pursue my true passion. People do it all the time. Why not me?

Thanks so much guys!

Firefist
03-20-13, 1:45 pm
I was on the premed route as well. 2 years in, I switched to a less stressful doctorate of physical therapy curriculum. Both included a lot of the same pre-recs and all, so the switch came easily to me. I did this because though my grades merited enough scholarship to cover me through even a few years of grad school, my brother would be attending med school as well and my parents wanted to make sure they could pay for it. My brother would make a better doctor than me anyways.

Now don't get me wrong, I love learning about the human body, different means of treatment, medicine and all of those things, but my passion has truly been people and business. I decided instead of going for my DPT, when I graduated in exercise science and biology, along with my 12 or so prerequisite classes, I would get my MBA and pursue something in the corporate world. Why is this? Why would I leave a profession with a guaranteed job market and steady, sufficient salary, for the business world, with far less stability, a varying range of pay and no guarantees? I had to leave my job at the Rec center, making 18 bucks an hour, to enter the corporate office I work at now for no pay at first. I got really pissed off at myself for doing it at first but kept my head down and trudged along.

Though I am going the MBA route, I still used my HPES background in the office. Looking into employee wellness, absenteeism and presenteeism, seeing how our numbers would work with discounts to employee gym memberships or their premiums.

I love what I am doing now, and people can appreciate that I left what I knew for something that I always wanted to do. I have been getting asked for my resume to send up and opportunities have been opened up to me. None of this would have been possible without taking a chance. I'm happy I took a chance. But in all of this, I got to say I was very lucky.

I'd love to say that hard work is all it takes to make everything happen. In a perfect world, you would follow your passion, produce hard work and it would equal a higher salary and happiness. This obviously isn't the case in our society. Luck as I said plays a huge part in it. People have been leaving solid foundations to head for choppy waters since Columbus sailed the ocean blue. Some people start businesses with the best intentions and lose everything they have. Some people start off with something so simple, like twitter, and it becomes a worldwide phenomenon. Bodybuilding in itself isn't fair. Different judges see different things. Some people will fight tooth and nail for their entire bodybuilding career and never get a pro card, let alone become a famous athlete. People tell me how they work so hard and don't understand why they aren't making it. That is just life happening.

In closing, I guess what I'm trying to say is the Med field is a great career. People would kill to have a 3.9 going into applications like you do, good on you for working hard. When you graduate years from now, you will be covered. You will pay your loans. Many friends of the family have loaned their way through med school and are doing great now. You will still be able to enjoy training as you do now. On the flip-side, if your passion is truly the fitness industry, I suggest you figure out what facet of it you want to focus on. Have a game plan. Have an end game. If you have no idea what you want to do in the fitness industry, or what the job entails, you may want to reconsider that career. My suggestion is you stick with your schoolwork, train hard as ever, network with industry professionals and build a good name for yourself. If something ever comes up, you'll get your shot. If not, you'll have a prosperous career as a doctor.

Just my humble opinions. Good luck with everything brother.

Phil800101
03-20-13, 3:05 pm
Definitely agree with what my man Firefist said. Top-notch solid advice right there.

To add my $.02, why not pursue a career that encompasses both medicine and fitness? Orthopedics comes to mind, especially if you worked somewhere specializing in sports injuries. Orthopedic nursing is also an option...nursing school would put you in debt, but not as much as medical school.

You could also pursue graduate school to become a physician assistant. A guy I went to high school with is a PA, and he works at a sports medicine clinic. Again, grad school = debt, but not as much as medical school.

In any case, Firefist is right in that any debt you accrue you will be able to pay off. And also like he said, you can still pursue competing. The overwhelming majority of people who compete in bodybuilding have day jobs to pay the bills. Even Ronnie Coleman worked as a cop full time until he hit it huge (and even then he still worked part time/reserve if I recall correctly).

If there is one piece of advice I can give to people who are either in college or going to go to college, it is to get a degree in something that will get you a job. Passion is important, but if you can't support yourself financially your passion will only get you so far. Like Firefist said, it's fucking brutal out there, and despite assurances to the contrary from talking heads it's only getting worse (or at best remaining stagnant). Believe me, I know...

I entered college in the fall of 2003, hoping ultimately to pursue a career in law enforcement. I went to a good school (University of Illinois), but never planned on going further than my bachelor's degree. I fucked around and got ok grades, but nothing to write home about. Graduated with a degree in psychology, figuring that I'd have no trouble getting into law enforcement within a few years (hiring was good at the time). This was 2007, and the collapse of 2008 followed shortly thereafter. In five years, I've applied where I could, and even made it onto the hiring list for one department...until it expired. Prospects are looking grim, but I'm still keeping my eyes and ears open. I have a job, and I do ok, but not nearly as well as I should be doing given my education and what not. I've got some plans in the works, but things would be a lot better for me now if I would have developed and implemented a solid back-up plan while still in school.

Anyway, I bring that up just to give you an idea as to where I'm coming from.

Overall, it sounds like you're in a really good place right now and you have a lot of options ahead of you. Whatever path you choose to take, I hope that you will pursue something that will not only provide you with stability, but that you also enjoy and find fulfilling. Do your research, take your time, and don't worry if you don't have it all figured or planned out just yet. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

the gift
03-20-13, 3:05 pm
I was on the premed route as well. 2 years in, I switched to a less stressful doctorate of physical therapy curriculum. Both included a lot of the same pre-recs and all, so the switch came easily to me. I did this because though my grades merited enough scholarship to cover me through even a few years of grad school, my brother would be attending med school as well and my parents wanted to make sure they could pay for it. My brother would make a better doctor than me anyways.

Now don't get me wrong, I love learning about the human body, different means of treatment, medicine and all of those things, but my passion has truly been people and business. I decided instead of going for my DPT, when I graduated in exercise science and biology, along with my 12 or so prerequisite classes, I would get my MBA and pursue something in the corporate world. Why is this? Why would I leave a profession with a guaranteed job market and steady, sufficient salary, for the business world, with far less stability, a varying range of pay and no guarantees? I had to leave my job at the Rec center, making 18 bucks an hour, to enter the corporate office I work at now for no pay at first. I got really pissed off at myself for doing it at first but kept my head down and trudged along.

Though I am going the MBA route, I still used my HPES background in the office. Looking into employee wellness, absenteeism and presenteeism, seeing how our numbers would work with discounts to employee gym memberships or their premiums.

I love what I am doing now, and people can appreciate that I left what I knew for something that I always wanted to do. I have been getting asked for my resume to send up and opportunities have been opened up to me. None of this would have been possible without taking a chance. I'm happy I took a chance. But in all of this, I got to say I was very lucky.

I'd love to say that hard work is all it takes to make everything happen. In a perfect world, you would follow your passion, produce hard work and it would equal a higher salary and happiness. This obviously isn't the case in our society. Luck as I said plays a huge part in it. People have been leaving solid foundations to head for choppy waters since Columbus sailed the ocean blue. Some people start businesses with the best intentions and lose everything they have. Some people start off with something so simple, like twitter, and it becomes a worldwide phenomenon. Bodybuilding in itself isn't fair. Different judges see different things. Some people will fight tooth and nail for their entire bodybuilding career and never get a pro card, let alone become a famous athlete. People tell me how they work so hard and don't understand why they aren't making it. That is just life happening.

In closing, I guess what I'm trying to say is the Med field is a great career. People would kill to have a 3.9 going into applications like you do, good on you for working hard. When you graduate years from now, you will be covered. You will pay your loans. Many friends of the family have loaned their way through med school and are doing great now. You will still be able to enjoy training as you do now. On the flip-side, if your passion is truly the fitness industry, I suggest you figure out what facet of it you want to focus on. Have a game plan. Have an end game. If you have no idea what you want to do in the fitness industry, or what the job entails, you may want to reconsider that career. My suggestion is you stick with your schoolwork, train hard as ever, network with industry professionals and build a good name for yourself. If something ever comes up, you'll get your shot. If not, you'll have a prosperous career as a doctor.

Just my humble opinions. Good luck with everything brother.

Well said! Thanks so much for the advice!

Aggression
03-20-13, 3:56 pm
In five years, I've applied where I could, and even made it onto the hiring list for one department...until it expired. Prospects are looking grim, but I'm still keeping my eyes and ears open. I have a job, and I do ok, but not nearly as well as I should be doing given my education and what not. I've got some plans in the works, but things would be a lot better for me now if I would have developed and implemented a solid back-up plan while still in school.

I went to school for business. Got a degree in Marketing. About halfway through my senior year, I realized that I was just chasing the imaginary dollar, hoping to be some suited out big shot. I finished my degree and went on several job interviews over the next few months. Offered spots at many places, I turned them all down. I remember going on a walk-through at one company, shadowing one guy going through his territory. We were selling phone plans, contracted out by Verizon, for businesses. I remember walking up to the mechanic shop and this burly, inked up dude came out in a jumper suit to talk to us. I looked at him and look at me. Felt like such a bitch. One of those 'eye opener' moments. I would have rather been him than me that day. I turned down all those offers, feeling like I wouldn't be happy anywhere. A few months later, after I was serving at a restaurant, Animal called me back for an interview. Been working here since. If it wasn't for Animal, who knows where I'd be or what I'd be doing. But I'll tell you what, I wouldn't be another mindless office drone.

Point is .. when that 'eye opener' hits you, marinate on it. Think things through. At 21, you have your whole life ahead of you. Don't chase the almighty dollar, taking a job or career field just because you think it'll have a big payout. Venture down the road you're passionate about, whatever that may be. Its never too late to switch gears. I know guys who are in their early 30s that are switching career fields. Its tougher as you get older; you have bills, more responsibility, maybe a mortgage to pay each month.

Bottom line; don't look back in 10 years and think 'what if ...'

JHOORNSTRA
03-20-13, 4:28 pm
Yeah, I agree with the comments above. I got a few degrees, Business, Sociology, Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, etc and ended up a firefighter. I grew up in the fire station with family but despite the less pay that I potentially earn, I know that the retirement is great and it gives me a schedule that is killer for training, traveling, etc. to live the whole traveling athlete dream. I work 24 hours on, and then off for 48 hours with 8 FLSA which is mandatory days off in lieu of getting paid overtime for more than 40 work hours a week. So, one day taken off is really a five day break. Works out and like you said, if you love what you do, it's not work. For me, firefighting is fun, it's athletic, adrenaline, etc so I enjoy it, gives me time to do the other passion in my life and I always have the degrees to fall back on if anything ever bombs out, I get tired of it, etc. Just my two cents as well. Good luck, you seem to at least be pointed in the right direction.

JHo

Phil800101
03-20-13, 4:48 pm
In five years, I've applied where I could, and even made it onto the hiring list for one department...until it expired. Prospects are looking grim, but I'm still keeping my eyes and ears open. I have a job, and I do ok, but not nearly as well as I should be doing given my education and what not. I've got some plans in the works, but things would be a lot better for me now if I would have developed and implemented a solid back-up plan while still in school.

I went to school for business. Got a degree in Marketing. About halfway through my senior year, I realized that I was just chasing the imaginary dollar, hoping to be some suited out big shot. I finished my degree and went on several job interviews over the next few months. Offered spots at many places, I turned them all down. I remember going on a walk-through at one company, shadowing one guy going through his territory. We were selling phone plans, contracted out by Verizon, for businesses. I remember walking up to the mechanic shop and this burly, inked up dude came out in a jumper suit to talk to us. I looked at him and look at me. Felt like such a bitch. One of those 'eye opener' moments. I would have rather been him than me that day. I turned down all those offers, feeling like I wouldn't be happy anywhere. A few months later, after I was serving at a restaurant, Animal called me back for an interview. Been working here since. If it wasn't for Animal, who knows where I'd be or what I'd be doing. But I'll tell you what, I wouldn't be another mindless office drone.

Point is .. when that 'eye opener' hits you, marinate on it. Think things through. At 21, you have your whole life ahead of you. Don't chase the almighty dollar, taking a job or career field just because you think it'll have a big payout. Venture down the road you're passionate about, whatever that may be. Its never too late to switch gears. I know guys who are in their early 30s that are switching career fields. Its tougher as you get older; you have bills, more responsibility, maybe a mortgage to pay each month.

Bottom line; don't look back in 10 years and think 'what if ...'

Word. Damn good advice.

To clarify what I was saying, when I said I should be doing better, I wasn't talking solely about money...I was also referring to job satisfaction and what not. I wouldn't want to be a mindless office drone either, and I definitely agree that pursuing money above all else can be a hollow endeavor that will leave one unfulfilled.

My job is ok, but for what my co-workers and I do we're overworked and underpaid. Not to mention that I could have the same job with just a high school diploma. My last job was the same way.

In referring to my education, what I was getting at is that for the time and effort (which admittedly could have been better) I put into school my degree isn't worth much. A B.S. in psych (by itself, without further education) from anywhere more or less amounts to a receipt for going to school in a lot of cases. Pretty much any of the jobs I find out there require either more or less education than I have, or a degree in a very different field (engineering, for example).

Like I said, I'm looking at my options, and LE is still on the table. I just wish I would have done something back before I graduated, instead of trying to play catch-up for past mistakes. You live, you learn...no point in dwelling on the past. I just hope other people can learn from my mistakes.

Cellardweller
03-20-13, 8:40 pm
I'm a nurse. If being a doctor is what you want then go for it. So what if you borrow $250,000 to do it. I work with residents all the time and some stay where I work when they are done. You'll pay that off fast. Like 5 years fast. How much do you think you'll spend on a house as a doctor? $500,000? There's a big bill. You won't be driving a Ford Focus either. When you make more money, you owe more money. Fact. Don't let that decide your fate. Do what you want. My dad once told me, "there will always be sick people and there will always be garbage." Health care pays more LOL. Even if you can't train as often as you want in the first 4 years, once you start your residency there will be more time for that. Yes, there are different kinds of doctors too. You'll figure out your thing during med school. Personally, I work in an ER. ER doctors basicly do shift work. They don't wear a pager when they are at home. I'd go that way, but I'm biased. Go big. Do what you have to do. The iron is always there waiting for you.

Maccabee
03-21-13, 4:13 pm
Definately agree with everyone else here.

I went to business school and got a degree in marketing. I enjoyed marketing a lot but I didn't want to work for corporations and be a robot in a cubicle. I didnt want the 9-5 life style.

I wanted to work but under my terms and conditions.

After I graduated I worked in a grocery store working on the register, being a butcher, janitor etc...

Later on I got the chance to be apart of a marketing team. This team works from home.

I am so happy that I didnt go off and apply for all those corporate jobs.

I work from the comfort of my own home. I get to play with my kid and be with my wife all day. I truly enjoy it. It is the best job in the world. I wouldnt change it for anything.

Even if a profession scares you or you dont want to follow the profession based on the industry standards, then do it under your own terms.

Every one i know works 9-5....I can work when ever I want...and thats what I do.

If I feel like taking my daughter to the park for 2 hours during the day...I DO IT! Other Dads out there are gone all day and I can understand why...you go to pay the bills...but I am fortunate to have it this way.

I am really lucky and blessed.

Go after what you want and under your terms. You will really be happy! Good luck.

the gift
03-25-13, 2:16 pm
Such great advice everybody!!

My biggest fear is to look back in 10 years and wonder what if..

I know I can make it in this industry as my passion is there! Definitely have some thinking to do!