PDA

View Full Version : Relentless 2013: What can you say about Powerlifters

Freakshowelite
03-25-13, 1:12 pm
On Saturday March 23rd a group of powerlifters and powerlifting enthusiasts came together to do something amazing. Something that gives our sport meaning, and gives us a chance to use our talents and skills to benefit others.

HopeKids:
Hopekids is a charity foundation based out of Minnesota, Arizona, and one other state I cannot remember. HK is much like the Make-A-Wish foundation in that it works with terminally ill children. HK provides events and entertainment for the children and their families. It gives them something positive to put on their calanders. Instead of looking at May and seeing:
Monday-Chemo
Wed-Blood work
Thur-Physical therapy
Sat-Surgery
etc.....

Having a child that you don't know if they will be around for their next birthday is gut wrenching enough. But knowing that, and having to look on your calander every week and see all all that negative bogs you down even worse. Its very easy to be negative. HK mission lies in the name itself, to give Hope. They add events to the calander like:

Saturday: Movie day
Sunday: Trip to watch the Vikings
Monday: Trip to watch the Twins
Tues: Dinner at their favorite resturaunt.
etc....

It adds hope to the calander. If they can, just for a moment, give the families something other than gloom to think about then their mission is complete. Because we all know, if you give up mentally its really hard to keep up physically. The body can defy even modern medicine and technology if the mind is strong. This is what HK is all about.

Scott Nutter, Mike Hamilton, Garth Heckman, and Mike Gray had a dream, a vision. How can we use our strengths and passions to benefit others? Relentless 2013 was the third year of Relentless, and the second year with HopeKids. Their goal was to raise 15k for HK, that would be monumental for a bunch of meatheads. Boy did they underestimate!

HK is associated with professional athletes and organizations. People, and companies that could easily pull together hundreds of thousands of dollars with their individual salaries alone. The highest fundraising event in HK history was 83,000 dollars(give or take).

Powerlifters have no money, theres no fame, no big contracts, its a labor of love. No one makes money powerlifting, or off powerlifting. We do what we do because we love it. It baffles my mind how a bunch of ordinary people, with no huge contracts or fame could ever hope to top that mark of 83k. On Saturday March 23rd we destroyed that mark! At the end of the day the total was 102,000 dollars. But that doesn't count all the lifters that had per pound sponsors. With those added in we will easily go over 110,000 dollars. That is what I absolutely love about this sport. The people involved are legit, honest, and sincere people.

So I ask you, what can you say about powerlifters?

freighttraindane
03-25-13, 1:18 pm
This is such an amazing thing you did for those kids and there families. My hat is off to you Marshall for being a part of such a great event!

Freakshowelite
03-25-13, 1:38 pm
Most importantly to Relentless I want to thank The Nutters, The Hamiltons, The Heckmans, and the Grays for having the dream that was Relentless. Without them this would never be possible.

Thank you Elitefts, Universal Animal, and SouthSide Bully for providing me with the support and the means to pursue my goals and dreams.

Most importantly to me, thank you to my Wife Kathy. Without her I could not do what I do. She takes care of me, most of the responsibilities, and has a patience that I have never seen before. I can be irritable, grumpy, and a nervous wreck getting ready for a meet. Honestly I couldn't do what I do with out her. Thank you Kathy, I love you!

Thank you to Ed May, and Tom Kemper. These two men have supported from day one, have always helped me and given me the shirt off their backs. Ed is a huge contributor to HopeKids every year. Tom has been there anytime I needed him and helped keep me healthy.

Thank you Steve Colescott and Matthew Goodwin. I wouldn't be living my dreams without you.

Thank you Dakota Barbell, SouthSide Bully, P-Town Barbell, Derek Wade, Hoss, Rob Luyando, everyone from Mecca BB, The overkill Pit,and Frankie T for all your help on the day of the meet getting me ready and spotting and plate loading for me.

Thank you to the three different platform crews that kept the meet running smoothly and safely. 93 lifters and the meet was done by 8pm!

Thank you to the hundreds of people who helped, and donated to Hopekids.

Freakshowelite
03-26-13, 1:45 pm
This is such an amazing thing you did for those kids and there families. My hat is off to you Marshall for being a part of such a great event!

thank you for all the support Dane!

Firefist
03-26-13, 1:49 pm
I followed updates as they were happening on FB and such. I've said it so many times, but wow, what a great event. We're all proud of ya marshall, youre a great ambassador to the sport.

Bless the kids.

Freakshowelite
03-26-13, 1:52 pm
I followed updates as they were happening on FB and such. I've said it so many times, but wow, what a great event. We're all proud of ya marshall, youre a great ambassador to the sport.

Bless the kids.

thank you so much man, I cannot express my grattitude for your support.

freighttraindane
03-27-13, 11:55 am
http://youtu.be/T04kFjthUCU

Kowboy
03-27-13, 12:20 pm
It was incredible to follow you guys on facebook with this. You are all amazing people!

C.Coronato
03-27-13, 2:58 pm
Absolutely amazing. Great work man, I'd love to be a part of this one day.

Freakshowelite
03-28-13, 2:34 pm
It was incredible to follow you guys on facebook with this. You are all amazing people!

thank you for following us and supporting us!

Freakshowelite
03-28-13, 2:35 pm
http://youtu.be/T04kFjthUCU

damnit dane you beat me to it haha. Thank you for posting

Freakshowelite
03-28-13, 2:35 pm
Absolutely amazing. Great work man, I'd love to be a part of this one day.

absolutely you could be, there is one in detroit in november, and there has been talks of one maybe in boston

freighttraindane
03-28-13, 2:44 pm
absolutely you could be, there is one in detroit in november, and there has been talks of one maybe in boston

Damn might have to get up to the Detroit show, its only 2.5 hours from me

shortstack
03-28-13, 3:15 pm
I wish I would have paid attention and found out about that before now. You're about 5 hrs north of me but the next time this rolls around, I'll be happy to come up and help out in any way that I can.

That's an awesome cause and having 2 small children myself, my heart goes out to parents and children dealing with any kind of sickness.

Jeremy

Freakshowelite
03-29-13, 2:09 pm
Damn might have to get up to the Detroit show, its only 2.5 hours from me

if you are that close you have to come, you cant miss an opportunity like this. Even if its to come watch

Freakshowelite
03-29-13, 2:11 pm
I wish I would have paid attention and found out about that before now. You're about 5 hrs north of me but the next time this rolls around, I'll be happy to come up and help out in any way that I can.

That's an awesome cause and having 2 small children myself, my heart goes out to parents and children dealing with any kind of sickness.

Jeremy

I thank you for the support, I will be in dubuque IA in July competing and there will be a another Relentless in Detroit in Nov, you should make it to that

shortstack
03-29-13, 5:22 pm
I thank you for the support, I will be in dubuque IA in July competing and there will be a another Relentless in Detroit in Nov, you should make it to that

I'll mark it on the calender brother. I'm doing the UPA meet in Nov over there. Should be great.