PDA

View Full Version : High school senior benches 700 lbs

naturalguy
03-26-13, 8:31 am
This is crazy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/texas-senior-sets-bench-press-record-astonishing-700-101340413.html

deanna7272
03-26-13, 8:49 am
Wow... I like this kid's outlook, and hopefully he stays healthy... I'm sure we will be hearing his name for years to come...

I wish more teens and young adults would get involved and unlock their innate potential...

Altered Beast
03-26-13, 8:59 am
Nice! Only in Texas =)

I couldn't tell if he was wearing a Bench Shirt or not, looked like he was.

Razor
03-26-13, 9:36 am
Shit looked too easy.

naturalguy
03-26-13, 9:45 am
Nice! Only in Texas =)

He was

Altered Beast
03-26-13, 10:01 am
Shit looked too easy.

It really did!

He was

Thought so, VERY nice lift regardless.

G Diesel
03-26-13, 10:11 am
Nice! Only in Texas =)

He was

Right, of course. Reading that article and comparing him to Larry Allen or Ryan Kennelly is ridiculous. The author didn't do his homework.

Beyond impressive for a kid that age, or anyone honestly, but that same weight is near Spoto's raw max, for a little perspective.

Peace, G

naturalguy
03-26-13, 10:27 am
Right, of course. Reading that article and comparing him to Larry Allen or Ryan Kennelly is ridiculous. The author didn't do his homework.

Beyond impressive for a kid that age, or anyone honestly, but that same weight is near Spoto's raw max, for a little perspective.

Peace, G

That's the problem, the general public doesn't know the difference between raw and geared. all they see is a 700 lb bench press

Altered Beast
03-26-13, 10:29 am

Peace, G

It just shows even how truly un educated the masses are on the subject. A TRUE journalist would have investigated further.

That's the problem, the general public doesn't know the difference between raw and geared. all they see is a 700 lb bench press

Agreed.

GUNZ
03-26-13, 1:29 pm

Exactly!! Impressive for high school kid yes, but general public is so lost on lifts they hear about due to reported info like this that don't describe or just explain its done with bench shirt. He's NO Spoto, Mendy, or Hoornstra

wedge
03-26-13, 1:39 pm
Saw this story last night. A few people in the comments section were trying to explain bench shirts and their purpose, but they were drowned out by jealous pricks talking shit.

Altered Beast
03-26-13, 1:41 pm
Exactly!! Impressive for high school kid yes, but general public is so lost on lifts they hear about due to reported info like this that don't describe or just explain its done with bench shirt. He's NO Spoto, Mendy, or Hoornstra

Couldn't agree more.

Saw this story last night. A few people in the comments section were trying to explain bench shirts and their purpose, but they were drowned out by jealous pricks talking shit.

I think the lazy blogger needed to do some research before posting that article.

I've used a single-ply shirt in the past and you get 150-200 pounds out of just a single-ply. It's time we bring powerlifting back to where it once was.

Kingslayer
03-26-13, 6:44 pm
Would have liked to see him do it without the bench shirt. At about 18 and 270lbs to be benching 700 is pretty awesome.

Mizzarler
03-26-13, 7:13 pm
the comments on that vid are hilarious, people trying to justify themselves by calling him obsessed and hating on this kid for no reason just because he had a goal and attacked it, the general public will never understand what it takes to get to that which is why I respect it even more because I know what he had to do to get there, kid's a beast

BigChrisF
03-27-13, 12:41 am
700 lbs in a single ply super katana is pretty good for anyone.

JHOORNSTRA
03-28-13, 8:44 pm
I agree, strong kid, good in a shirt, no where near anybody mentioned. Once again as mentioned above the general public is oblivious to the notion of the whole gear/raw topic. To compare the two is completely stupid. Like Sam Byrd once compared, it's like giving your pole vault numbers when people ask what your high jump is. Worthy of a newspaper article? Sure. Worthy of even having the names compared to him? Not a chance. I hope he sticks at it but it's still not higher in gear than a few raw lifters. My two cents...

JHo

Machine
04-02-13, 12:17 pm
Good lift - yes.

Impressive strength feat for his age irrespective of gear utilized - yup.

Should we get all shook up that "normal" people don't understand the nuances of power lifting vs. weightlifting - NOPE.

In our world, this is impressive, period. I give the kid credit because at the end of the day one still has to hold 700 over thier face and press it - gear or not that is a considerable task.

Having said that, I once watched Jimmy Pellechia attempt 1015 with elbow wraps and a spotters hands on the bar throughout the press; that was impressive too for the same reasons mentioned previously - but it does not deserve to be mentioned among or compared to the top lifts or top lifters in the world - PERIOD.

I have seen some true gym freaks the world over; I have even performed some things that I would have never believed possible - but let's be fair to the men and women who bleed out of their mouths, noses, and asses to move world record poundages in a strictly judged competition - they stand apart from all of us, as they should.

MACHINE

JHOORNSTRA
04-02-13, 12:20 pm
Good lift - yes.

Impressive strength feat for his age irrespective of gear utilized - yup.

Should we get all shook up that "normal" people don't understand the nuances of power lifting vs. weightlifting - NOPE.

In our world, this is impressive, period. I give the kid credit because at the end of the day one still has to hold 700 over thier face and press it - gear or not that is a considerable task.

Having said that, I once watched Jimmy Pellechia attempt 1015 with elbow wraps and a spotters hands on the bar throughout the press; that was impressive too for the same reasons mentioned previously - but it does not deserve to be mentioned among or compared to the top lifts or top lifters in the world - PERIOD.

I have seen some true gym freaks the world over; I have even performed some things that I would have never believed possible - but let's be fair to the men and women who bleed out of their mouths, noses, and asses to move world record poundages in a strictly judged competition - they stand apart from all of us, as they should.

MACHINE

Well said, couldn't have said it better myself.

JHo

skibasgym
04-03-13, 9:57 am
For any high schooler to bench 700 is to be applauded regardless of gear/raw. That is a great accomplishment. I hope this kid sticks with it and he can be great.

As far as the press understanding our sport, it is a waste of time. They never will.