PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifts: Sumo vs Conventional

rbowman91
03-26-13, 11:33 am
And why?

Aggression
03-26-13, 11:52 am
One could argue there's a mechanical advantage to each, depending on the person's body type (torso/arm length)
The other could argue that it's all personal preference.

I've pulled sumo in all my PL meets up to this point. Next meet, I'll be pulling conventional. Why? Just to see if there's a difference in strength.

Firefist
03-26-13, 11:58 am
Preference and having had extended experience in both techniques would be the determinant factor I think. I used to squat and deadlift both with a shoulder width stance. Since Ive widened my squat stance, I've broken PR's consistently. With the deadlift, I've always pulled conventional, and my sumo has always been terrible. I decided to try and fix this by pulling some sumos with 315 on off days to get my technique down. Last night, I pulled 495 pretty easy for sets having never previously maxed a sumo before. Many people would argue the biomechanical advantages of having a shorter distance to pull sumo. I would also venture to say, as with a wide stance squat, your hips are utilized more with a sumo pull.

I think you need to try both and find what works for you.

Cascade
03-26-13, 12:14 pm
As a coach, the sumo deadlift does not translate into a good 1st pull on the clean.

Like the other guys have said it just works for some peoples body. I also think its a mobility/flexibility issue. I've seen a lot of lifters FORCE their bodies into a sumo stance because they think they will pull more. As long as the back stays flat and the shoulders and hips come up at the same time, its a deadlift.

rbowman91
03-26-13, 12:30 pm
Hmmm interesting. Yes, for some reason I am able to pull significantly more weight sumo than I am conventional.

I am a bodybuilder, but I love using powerlifting moves for obvious benefits. Wondering which benefits the physique more?

BigChrisF
03-26-13, 11:40 pm
If you search the site, you will find a lot of information on the two. As has been said, which style you are better suited for will depend on your own leverages and how much work you want to put into each lift.

C.Coronato
03-27-13, 2:46 pm
Ive always pulled conventional, that simply because I couldnt find a good groove sumo. I think its whatever works best for you.

pushin weight
03-28-13, 5:03 pm
Simple...Do both.They both benefit each other greatly.Just my two cents but when I started pullin sumo I felt it translate into my traditional pull and vice versa.

LoneWolf45
03-28-13, 9:58 pm
I train both ways, but am stronger with a sumo stance.
i pull sumo in my comp's

Lifting_Is_Life
03-29-13, 4:48 pm
Conventional:

That's because I absolutely love deficit dead lifting, don't know why, just always have. Plus I love having the explosive speed off the floor I get from conventional pulling. Lastly, like others have said, it just feels right. I have a very long torso and arms so that's just a plus to liking the feel

skibasgym
04-03-13, 9:34 am
I have always pulled sumo in my powerlifting meets. I have recently been training throwing in some conventional-style deadlifts. I find that the conventional pull has really been frying my legs. I'm toying with pulling conventional at my next meet. I'll have to see how confident I feel as my training goes on to see if I stick with the sumo or switch it up to the conventional.

AnnaMcC
08-13-13, 11:35 am
I'm conventional because my back is much stronger than my glutes and hams. Not that conventional doesn't use them, but I believe that sumo requires more of an immediate activation of both. It really depends on the lifter! Some people are much stronger one way, but still train the other stance on say, 'dynamic' days.

I would say train both, my brother Anthony does that (he's pulled 710 in a suit @ 220). I don't train sumo just because when I started out I was using a sumo stance and one training day I felt/heard something in my upper glute - lower back area pop. Forever scared of sumo. Maybe one day I'll grow a pair and get back into it.

under the bar
08-25-13, 6:45 pm
train both and compete with your stronger one.

They feed off each other, I am a conv puller BUT train Sumo once a month for ME day and use sumo every other DE wave

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
09-01-13, 1:29 am
Why choose one or the other? Due both, we do! One will help the other, REALLY!