PDA

View Full Version : Is Powerlifting Making a COMEBACK?!?!?!?

Altered Beast
03-26-13, 1:44 pm
The article below is written by Marty Gallagher. If you don't know who he is you should not be lifting weights on a serious basis.

This is the man that coached ED COAN, need I say more?!?!? He has coached some of the most legendary men in Powerlifting history before Ed as well.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/article/is_powerlifting_undergoing_a_resurrection/P2#.UVHZWje56wk

This article really fires me up!

Brandon Lilly
04-23-13, 12:12 pm
The article below is written by Marty Gallagher. If you don't know who he is you should not be lifting weights on a serious basis.

This is the man that coached ED COAN, need I say more?!?!? He has coached some of the most legendary men in Powerlifting history before Ed as well.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/article/is_powerlifting_undergoing_a_resurrection/P2#.UVHZWje56wk

This article really fires me up!

It is a great article, and I most definitely feel that powerlifting is on the rise. I also feel that the Raw side is leading the charge in getting lifters noticed. Lots of talent in all fields, but the raw lifts are universal so people understand them better I believe. Anyway, I hope to see powerlifting grow, and grow into something awesome!

Universal Rep
04-23-13, 12:22 pm
It is a great article, and I most definitely feel that powerlifting is on the rise. I also feel that the Raw side is leading the charge in getting lifters noticed. Lots of talent in all fields, but the raw lifts are universal so people understand them better I believe. Anyway, I hope to see powerlifting grow, and grow into something awesome!

I think when ya actually watch a big lift, say like in the CAGE, then its really, really hard not to watch and get caught up in it. Still, I think PL is still a niche sport. Not sure why tho...

Altered Beast
04-23-13, 12:24 pm

Couldn't agree more! Thanks for responding!

By the way, hit a 20 Pound Squat PR at my meet and just missed a 20 Pound Deadlift PR inches from lockout! Got two full Cube Cycles before my next meet in September.

The first cycle before the previous meet I wasn't too sure of everything. I'll hit some serious PR's this time around, because I now know what I need to focus on and how to implement them into the Cube system.

Kyle Lombardo
05-06-13, 9:50 pm
This article fires me up!!! I would love to see powerlifting continue to grow and grow.... Especially is RAW powerlifting was leading the way!!

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
05-06-13, 9:57 pm
I think when ya actually watch a big lift, say like in the CAGE, then its really, really hard not to watch and get caught up in it. Still, I think PL is still a niche sport. Not sure why tho...

I agree with this 100%. After being up close and personal and experiencing the energy in the Cage and seeing the big lifts.... I want a piece of the pie. Im planning a bout with CUBE method right now.

Nix0r
05-06-13, 10:08 pm
I agree with this 100%. After being up close and personal and experiencing the energy in the Cage and seeing the big lifts.... I want a piece of the pie. Im planning a bout with CUBE method right now.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Altered Beast
05-07-13, 9:25 am
This article fires me up!!! I would love to see powerlifting continue to grow and grow.... Especially is RAW powerlifting was leading the way!!

It will.

Cube is an absolute blast. Plug in what you know works for you.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

That's what she keeps saying =)

Shukin
05-07-13, 10:05 am

I think it is a niche sport because people don't understand it. It's not taking place at every gym or high school, it's not on any of the 7,000 channels you can get on cable, and none of the athletes are on the cover of people magazine, nor are they getting payed millions of dollars to do it.

Look at crossFit for example, with Reebock behind them they are on espn, so people know what it is. The male and female physiques are attainable by all, like those on the cover of men's health rather than Flex, which is more appealing to the average Joe and Jane, and they don't immediately respond with "steroids" as the excuse as to why they aren't built like that.

If powerlifting and Strongman had some television coverage, with great cuts and edits, was backed by someone with deep pockets it would most definitely be more popular. I have been to PL meets and Strongman meets and seen some dudes in their 60s walking around in singlets and thinking to my self 'really', then the dude pulls a shit ton on the dead lift and makes you think twice about judging someone by size or age. Or if it was on some reality tv show, hell look at all these tattoo shows, 30 years ago tattoos were for bikers and sailors, now you can't play in the NBA without one...lol

I never understood why Spelling-bee was on espn but PL, Bodybuilding or strongman aren't, yes world's strongest man is on there 3 months after the actual comp, but what about all the comps leading up to that?

Some one in the industry needs to talk to Fox, Spike, FX or one of these stations to take a chance on a Strength Based TV show, get some real people, some good writers and some good backers, we might just have a winner.

that's my two cents.

Respect,
Shukin

Altered Beast
05-07-13, 12:41 pm

PL is the most extreme of all strength sports, making it the most fringe sport. Every human being out there fears the Squat, Bench and Deadlift. There are no medleys, no moderate weight with lows reps, it's 9 attempts for Maximal Weight that would kill most human beings.

Most won't want to push it that far, that is why you hear and see so many Powerlifters converting to Strongman. Nothing against Strongman, awesome sport, but it's not Powerlifting.

I think it is a niche sport because people don't understand it. It's not taking place at every gym or high school, it's not on any of the 7,000 channels you can get on cable, and none of the athletes are on the cover of people magazine, nor are they getting payed millions of dollars to do it.

Look at crossFit for example, with Reebock behind them they are on espn, so people know what it is. The male and female physiques are attainable by all, like those on the cover of men's health rather than Flex, which is more appealing to the average Joe and Jane, and they don't immediately respond with "steroids" as the excuse as to why they aren't built like that.

If powerlifting and Strongman had some television coverage, with great cuts and edits, was backed by someone with deep pockets it would most definitely be more popular. I have been to PL meets and Strongman meets and seen some dudes in their 60s walking around in singlets and thinking to my self 'really', then the dude pulls a shit ton on the dead lift and makes you think twice about judging someone by size or age. Or if it was on some reality tv show, hell look at all these tattoo shows, 30 years ago tattoos were for bikers and sailors, now you can't play in the NBA without one...lol

I never understood why Spelling-bee was on espn but PL, Bodybuilding or strongman aren't, yes world's strongest man is on there 3 months after the actual comp, but what about all the comps leading up to that?

Some one in the industry needs to talk to Fox, Spike, FX or one of these stations to take a chance on a Strength Based TV show, get some real people, some good writers and some good backers, we might just have a winner.

that's my two cents.

Respect,
Shukin

I really couldn't agree more. Powerlifting use to be on ESPN and was hugely popular during Ed Coan's day; which was not too long ago! For some reason it got labeled as a, "Steroid Sport" and was outcast by all the networks. When you consider Bodybuilding, Strongman and Olympic lifting which are all HUGE drugs sports, HOW THE HELL CAN POWERLIFTING BE LABELED AS "THE DRUG SPORT!"

Something suspect happened. I'd say the Globalists wanted it removed because it was inspiring to many people to become big, strong and healthy. Since our system depends on people being weak and sick, this is not good for business. I know I took it a bit too far with that theory, but I honestly cannot fathom any other reason why. Every high school athlete in America Squats, Benches and Deadlifts. Why wouldn't you glorify the sport where the athletes strive to perfect these lifts at ultimate poundages?

That's my two cents.

Shukin
05-07-13, 3:06 pm
Altered beast, How the hell can you say Olympic lifting is a drug sport? It's an Olympic sport, They test that shit.

Shukin
05-07-13, 3:30 pm
I don't think it's fair to say that one sport is better, harder than the other. The squat and dead lift our staples in strongman competitions, In Powerlifting is a 200 pounder for example, You decide what you were going to deadlifts squat or benchpress. In strongman you have no idea. The competition could say 530 pound deadlifts, Then you arrived today and they decide to make it 600, We are talking for someone under 200 pounds. You can train for your own max, .com competition you have no idea what you're up against. So you cannot tell me that one sport is better or harder than the other, It's apples and oranges, You may like one I like the other. The bottom line is anyone who is lifting weights, And increasing those weights each time they go to the gym, I have nothing but utmost respect for them.

As for globalists I have no idea, I think perhaps the fact that the Cold War ended, America no longer had beat Russia, Therefore gymnastics and Olympic lifting Have suffered in America.

Altered Beast
05-07-13, 4:46 pm
Altered beast, How the hell can you say Olympic lifting is a drug sport? It's an Olympic sport, They test that shit.

Yeah......

I don't think it's fair to say that one sport is better, harder than the other. The squat and dead lift our staples in strongman competitions, In Powerlifting is a 200 pounder for example, You decide what you were going to deadlifts squat or benchpress. In strongman you have no idea. The competition could say 530 pound deadlifts, Then you arrived today and they decide to make it 600, We are talking for someone under 200 pounds. You can train for your own max, .com competition you have no idea what you're up against. So you cannot tell me that one sport is better or harder than the other, It's apples and oranges, You may like one I like the other. The bottom line is anyone who is lifting weights, And increasing those weights each time they go to the gym, I have nothing but utmost respect for them.

As for globalists I have no idea, I think perhaps the fact that the Cold War ended, America no longer had beat Russia, Therefore gymnastics and Olympic lifting Have suffered in America.

You've missed the point, but that's ok =)

Shukin
05-07-13, 5:20 pm
You've missed the point, but that's ok =)

Then what was your point?

Shukin
05-07-13, 5:24 pm
PL is the most extreme of all strength sports, making it the most fringe sport. Every human being out there fears the Squat, Bench and Deadlift. There are no medleys, no moderate weight with lows reps, it's 9 attempts for Maximal Weight that would kill most human beings.

Most won't want to push it that far, that is why you hear and see so many Powerlifters converting to Strongman. Nothing against Strongman, awesome sport, but it's not Powerlifting.

I really couldn't agree more. Powerlifting use to be on ESPN and was hugely popular during Ed Coan's day; which was not too long ago! For some reason it got labeled as a, "Steroid Sport" and was outcast by all the networks. When you consider Bodybuilding, Strongman and Olympic lifting which are all HUGE drugs sports, HOW THE HELL CAN POWERLIFTING BE LABELED AS "THE DRUG SPORT!"

^^ what did I miss?

tomysaw
05-07-13, 8:53 pm
It's making one hell of a comeback. I personally have brought powerlifting back into my area. Me being the previous sole powerlifter from my school, I have brought almost an entire team out of the wood works. Almost amazing how much powerlifting has become famous in my area these past couple months. Took two boys I trained to state, came back with two state champions, now im talking to a few local schools about coaching(Im only 20, so Im going to grab this opportunity) I was the state champ the year before, whoch brought several people looking for guidance.I've also talked a lot with Gene Rychlek from the RPS federation, as well as the 100% Raw federation into bringing some meets to my home town.
I love the sport and I support it more than anything. I believe that one day we may be able to make our way back onto the screen. I also hope that some of the broadcasters of the Olympics will let them air more of the weightlifting. It was almost impossible to catch it this last years.

Altered Beast
05-08-13, 9:53 am
^^ what did I miss?

If you cannot see it, than it is lost.

It's making one hell of a comeback. I personally have brought powerlifting back into my area. Me being the previous sole powerlifter from my school, I have brought almost an entire team out of the wood works. Almost amazing how much powerlifting has become famous in my area these past couple months. Took two boys I trained to state, came back with two state champions, now im talking to a few local schools about coaching(Im only 20, so Im going to grab this opportunity) I was the state champ the year before, whoch brought several people looking for guidance.I've also talked a lot with Gene Rychlek from the RPS federation, as well as the 100% Raw federation into bringing some meets to my home town.
I love the sport and I support it more than anything. I believe that one day we may be able to make our way back onto the screen. I also hope that some of the broadcasters of the Olympics will let them air more of the weightlifting. It was almost impossible to catch it this last years.

Very nice!

You've got to remember and understand the Globalist's plan. They don't want a bunch of strong and healthy citizens running around this country, because they will not be dependant on the government for anything. They don't want to show sports like Powerlifting, Strongman, Olympic Lifting, etc because it inspires too many people to become strong, healthy and independant. That is not what they are after.

Shukin
05-08-13, 10:00 am

Enlighten me Beast, you clearly state that Olympic Lifting is a drug sport, you also say "PL is the most extreme of all strength sports, making it the most fringe sport. Every human being out there fears the Squat, Bench and Deadlift. There are no medleys, no moderate weight with lows reps, it's 9 attempts for Maximal Weight that would kill most human beings.

Most won't want to push it that far, that is why you hear and see so many Powerlifters converting to Strongman. Nothing against Strongman, awesome sport, but it's not Powerlifting."

I was responding to these blanket statements, in the second you are saying Powerlifting is BETTER than strongman, I'm saying you can't say one is better just because Altered Beast does it.

I also have to disagree that "every human fears the Bench", bench is what most dudes concentrate on, squats on the other hand I agree.

Altered Beast
05-08-13, 10:06 am
I think at this point you're disagreeing with me simply to disagree with me.

*I do agree with the Bench. Most guys give it a go, but get frustrated when they stall and stop doing it. It becomes more of a "I'm not training this movement out of frustration and am whiny about it" type of situation.

Guys holding maximal weight over their heads, oh you better believe they are scared!

Shukin
05-08-13, 10:13 am

I would have to say RAW lifters like yourself, Ben Seath, the Lilliebridge family, Brent Willis, Ben Rice, Chad, and others (please accept my apologies in advance) are catalysts in that resurgence. For me, one of the attractions is moving incomprehensible weight while still being in good physical shape.

Keep up the great work, it takes great responsibility to be a role model and leader of a resurgence.

Respect,
Shukin

Shukin
05-08-13, 10:18 am
I think at this point you're disagreeing with me simply to disagree with me.

*I do agree with the Bench. Most guys give it a go, but get frustrated when they stall and stop doing it. It becomes more of a "I'm not training this movement out of frustration and am whiny about it" type of situation.

Guys holding maximal weight over their heads, oh you better believe they are scared!

I'm not disagreeing with you for the sake of disagreeing. You said I missed the point, so I want to know what the point was that I missed.

It sounds like you are talking about going for the most weight possible, and I would agree that people get scared.

I just don't see how anyone can say "PL is better than Strongman", or "Strongman is better than powerlifting", it's too biased.

AB, I am really trying to understand where you are coming from on this...... That article spoke of possibly doing away with the mono lift, what will you do then? As you said you will never walk a weight out....

Altered Beast
05-08-13, 10:19 am
I would have to say RAW lifters like yourself, Ben Seath, the Lilliebridge family, Brent Willis, Ben Rice, Chad, and others (please accept my apologies in advance) are catalysts in that resurgence. For me, one of the attractions is moving incomprehensible weight while still being in good physical shape.

Keep up the great work, it takes great responsibility to be a role model and leader of a resurgence.

Respect,
Shukin

x2.

Brandon if it wasn't for you I'd still be using Single Ply gear, having serious hip/knee issues and training Westside being very unhappy.

tomysaw
05-08-13, 11:45 am

Very nice!

You've got to remember and understand the Globalist's plan. They don't want a bunch of strong and healthy citizens running around this country, because they will not be dependant on the government for anything. They don't want to show sports like Powerlifting, Strongman, Olympic Lifting, etc because it inspires too many people to become strong, healthy and independant. That is not what they are after.

You also can't expect a committee that removes one of the oldest Olympic Games known to man, one of the originals from the 2020 Olympics!! Wrestling was removed, of course how long has it been since you were able to turn on the TV and just watch the wrestling events as you would swimming or the track and field events. It's almost sad, the weightlifting isn't but hardly aired, and wrestling has been removed. So what next? Remove all of the field events?

My point is, I love weightlifting in all of its aspects whether it be powerlifting, bodybuilding, strongman, crossfit, etc,
etc... I do also believe that it is indeed making a bit of a step back into the sport world in which we live. But where it goes from here I don't know. Olympic weightlifting is never going to be aired like some of the other more "famous" events, and I doubt powerlifting ever makes for a big tv show, at least not with being labeled a "drug sport" and with the things you've said yourself.

I would love to see it! Don't get me wrong, and there is every bit of hope and praying that one day it will be truly a major sport and make it back on the screen or at least publicly known a little more. For me, I don't know where it goes from here.

Altered Beast
05-09-13, 9:45 am
Solid points.

I believe if there was one true Federation for local/state meets and another for National/Qualifier meets, Powerlifting would be taken more seriously.

Ed Coan told me at the Arnold that there was the USPF and nothing else. Everyone competed in it, so there was no confusion or complications. It was the best way to prove who was really the strongest. That is why it was on ESPN, no inter federation politics.

Universal Rep
05-09-13, 4:05 pm
Great convo here. Ill add my $0.02. Is powerliftin making a comeback? Depends on wut that means. Does it mean it will be on major sports programs soon? Dunno. But inherent to the sport are things that can teach and appeal to just about anyone (as same with bodybuilding)... Ideas of hard work, patience, sacrifice, dedication, etc. These are the same values that would make anyone successful in any aspect of life. Here are two things. Single ply, multi ply whatever. This allows for bigger lifts. People are fascinated by extremes. Like in BB, the 300 lb fella at 4% bodyfat. But to most the whole ply thing could be confusin. The raw lifting. More natural and more easier to understand. Guy and the weights for the most part. Easy to get into, but not as impressive as the weights are lower. So if powerliftin makes a comeback, it has to be unified and it has to be impressive while not bein confusin. It just has to make sense. But even more important than any of these things... The inherent values in powerliftin have to be showcased... In every lift, in every athlete, etc. Its a battle of perceptions. Who is a powerlifter? Wut does powerlifting mean as a sport? If the associations are negative (weirdos, drugs), then it will a always be pushed to the fringes. But if people can see a part of who they could become in a powerlifter, if they see positivity, if they see how the sport can encourage them to greatness, aspiration, and a striving for better things, then the chances are very, very good...

Bazz67
05-09-13, 4:28 pm
Solid points.

I believe if there was one true Federation for local/state meets and another for National/Qualifier meets, Powerlifting would be taken more seriously.

Ed Coan told me at the Arnold that there was the USPF and nothing else. Everyone competed in it, so there was no confusion or complications. It was the best way to prove who was really the strongest. That is why it was on ESPN, no inter federation politics.

No doubt your first statement is correct regarding the impact if there were only a couple of federations rather than hundreds. I have nothing against geared lifting but I also think that it confuses the average person because of some of the numbers that are being tossed around. Way too many "records" as well with all of the federations and that also serves to confuse the average person who isn't involved in the sport but may otherwise have an interest in watching powerlifting on television.

Altered Beast
05-09-13, 4:37 pm
No doubt your first statement is correct regarding the impact if there were only a couple of federations rather than hundreds. I have nothing against geared lifting but I also think that it confuses the average person because of some of the numbers that are being tossed around. Way too many "records" as well with all of the federations and that also serves to confuse the average person who isn't involved in the sport but may otherwise have an interest in watching powerlifting on television.

Agreed!

Everyone was talking about that kid that benched 700 in a multi-ply. single-ply whatever shirt because it was on the news. Yet the article discussed geared records and nothing regarding RAW; therefore, the masses were hilariously confused.

Bazz67
05-09-13, 7:56 pm
Agreed!

Everyone was talking about that kid that benched 700 in a multi-ply. single-ply whatever shirt because it was on the news. Yet the article discussed geared records and nothing regarding RAW; therefore, the masses were hilariously confused.

Exactly- I remember seeing that story on AOL and just shaking my head. And of course the next time I talk to someone who isn't dedicated to powerlifting about Spoto attempting an all-time record bench over 700 they will probably say something like "that's not that impressive I read about a 16-year-old who benched 700."

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
06-02-13, 12:49 am
Making a comeback? When did it leave/decline? I've been actively competing in this sport for over 27yrs and have NEVER seen a drop in the number of powerlifters! What has been seen is the addition of many new federations and a huge saturation of the powerlifters. So while you may not see as many at one meet, there are MANY more meets to see them at! A HUGE increase in fact in the total number of competitive powerlifters! What has also changed is the increase in RAW Powerlifting, ( and the shift away from GEARED ) up a few 1000% from where it was 10 years ago, and growing all the time!

LoneWolf45
06-02-13, 8:41 pm
RAW lifting is on the rise!!! recently got a powerlifting club going at my school with a few friends! Only my second year in the sport and i am loving it more every day, nothing else i'd rather do with my days than continue to set new pr's.

I do have one thing i would like to put out here...
What do people think about the HUGE arches lifters make when benching?? I am againt it. I know the "rules" say you have to keep your butt on the bench, and people want to lift heavier so they arch thier back. If anyhting that is the one thing that gives powerlifiting a bad name.

Altered Beast
06-03-13, 1:24 pm
Making a comeback? When did it leave/decline? I've been actively competing in this sport for over 27yrs and have NEVER seen a drop in the number of powerlifters! What has been seen is the addition of many new federations and a huge saturation of the powerlifters. So while you may not see as many at one meet, there are MANY more meets to see them at! A HUGE increase in fact in the total number of competitive powerlifters! What has also changed is the increase in RAW Powerlifting, ( and the shift away from GEARED ) up a few 1000% from where it was 10 years ago, and growing all the time!

Ernie, with your family, Dan Green, Stan Efferdgin, Jim Wendler and Brandon Lily pushing the RAW movement HARD is the only reason it's growing. Everywhere you go, new and intermediate lifters are BOMBARDED with Gear and Westside bullshit. Westside is a fantastic program, but not for RAW lifters. The gear thing is really getting old and even though the RAW Movement is strong, it is still being pushed down lifter's throats.

RAW lifting is on the rise!!! recently got a powerlifting club going at my school with a few friends! Only my second year in the sport and i am loving it more every day, nothing else i'd rather do with my days than continue to set new pr's.

I do have one thing i would like to put out here...
What do people think about the HUGE arches lifters make when benching?? I am againt it. I know the "rules" say you have to keep your butt on the bench, and people want to lift heavier so they arch thier back. If anyhting that is the one thing that gives powerlifiting a bad name.

Great!

The arching thing is annoying but part of the sport.

Li'l Red
06-03-13, 3:01 pm
I would have said that powerlifting is making a comeback but Ernie made a very good point with the saturation. And though Raw is definitely on the rise, I think it will prove cyclical. Even back in the day, the original lifters, when supportive gear became available, they used it. Single ply, weak at that, was all they had available to them so they used it. Gear has gotten so ridiculously supportive that not only do you have to use more weight than you could ever dream of supporting alone to move in it, people are injuring joints and tendons from the weight and the pressure and the records have shot so high that some seem to be far beyond ever breaking again. I think this has led a lot of people to just back off and go to raw. People starting out cannot fathom being able to reach the numbers of people who are equipped, people are feeling compelled to prove they can still lift and be strong out of the gear, and they are trying to heal their bodies. But everything evolves. They will continue to make new gear that will allow people to push records out further. People will find ways to speed recovery and healing time. Methods will evolve to help people prevent injury to begin with. Raw people will reach their maximum potential and want more (not EVERYONE of course, this is a very general statement). This is coming from someone who competes and does well in all of them; raw, single and multi ply. Though multi is my favorite.

And I'm an archer. So, ok, I will admit that I see a video of my bench and I think, that's just crazy. I do have some words of defense. First of all, although it does bring the point I need to touch higher, unless you are talking about a belly bench, which isn't supposed to be legal, your sternum isn't being raised THAT much higher. And that is not the only thing I am doing. It also turns it into something of a decline, allows me to flare my lats more, keeps my butt on the bench, and eases up on my shoulders. I don't think I should be required to put on a couple hundred pounds to get the big belly many men get to bench from and because I have maintained a life of eating fairly clean and training hard I don't even have the boobs some women have that they get to bench to. I also am at the disadvantage of not being able to take all the amount of wonderful supplements the men get to reap the benefits of unless I want to grow a beard that would make Animal proud. So I would like to move that there's a little give and take there.

Altered Beast
06-03-13, 3:13 pm
Interesting point Red.

Ed Coan said they used the first prototype Squat Suits simply because, that is what you did! There was one federation calling the shots and everyone basically had to follow.

Check out this article about Negativity and Powerlifting from Dave Tate himself: http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/has-powerlifting-turned-negative/

Li'l Red
06-03-13, 3:44 pm
Interesting point Red.

Ed Coan said they used the first prototype Squat Suits simply because, that is what you did! There was one federation calling the shots and everyone basically had to follow.

Check out this article about Negativity and Powerlifting from Dave Tate himself: http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/has-powerlifting-turned-negative/

More very good points. Amazing how little we think about how modern technology has changed even the things it isn't innately a part of.

I forgot to chime in on the one fed thing also. I would like to see a few coalitions pop up. Like the XPC started doing. Have as many feds as you want if everyone wants to have their own records. But have them be able to come together under one roof to create a bigger more competitive meet. And I realize this feat must come with a thousand headaches trying to agree on rules and strictness, if it could be smoothed out it would do a lot for the saturation problem, the thinning out of even some of the bigger meets. Then maybe cash prizes could become more of a norm too. I can tell you, as a woman, I have had to become calloused about seeking out competition. If there is another woman in a meet I do, she is probably not in my weight class and most likely not competitive. I have had to learn to be competitive with a list on a website. When I did the Olympia, no one else in my weight class. Though, I liked how Steve does that too ... light, middle, heavy weight. At least gives you bigger groups to compete with. When I qualified for the Arnold, there were only 5 of us in that meet. 5!! And even by the time the Arnold came around (which I couldn't do because of surgery) the number of women did not grow that much. But I recently did a women's meet and that was awesome!! Because there were more people like me to go up against. So anything that could bring the federations together in one place to make it bigger and more competitive I think would go far to creating more excited competition in one meet. Rather than just looking out for one or two lifters results from each small meet.

Universal Rep
06-03-13, 4:15 pm
I dont know much about powerliftin, but Id think there are two types of people... Those who want to watch the most weights lifted no matter wut (geared) and those who want to man vs. the iron without the gear (raw). Which one is more compelling? Think of swimming. Wuz it better when it wuz just swimmers in speedos or swimmers today in their high tech suits?

Altered Beast
06-04-13, 9:08 am
More very good points. Amazing how little we think about how modern technology has changed even the things it isn't innately a part of.

I forgot to chime in on the one fed thing also. I would like to see a few coalitions pop up. Like the XPC started doing. Have as many feds as you want if everyone wants to have their own records. But have them be able to come together under one roof to create a bigger more competitive meet. And I realize this feat must come with a thousand headaches trying to agree on rules and strictness, if it could be smoothed out it would do a lot for the saturation problem, the thinning out of even some of the bigger meets. Then maybe cash prizes could become more of a norm too. I can tell you, as a woman, I have had to become calloused about seeking out competition. If there is another woman in a meet I do, she is probably not in my weight class and most likely not competitive. I have had to learn to be competitive with a list on a website. When I did the Olympia, no one else in my weight class. Though, I liked how Steve does that too ... light, middle, heavy weight. At least gives you bigger groups to compete with. When I qualified for the Arnold, there were only 5 of us in that meet. 5!! And even by the time the Arnold came around (which I couldn't do because of surgery) the number of women did not grow that much. But I recently did a women's meet and that was awesome!! Because there were more people like me to go up against. So anything that could bring the federations together in one place to make it bigger and more competitive I think would go far to creating more excited competition in one meet. Rather than just looking out for one or two lifters results from each small meet.

I would like to see more coalitions as well! I compete in Texas SPF and let me tell you, they are strict for ALL lifters. They also give cash prizes for all weight classes and for other things as well.

Personally, it does not bother me who wears what, but lets be honest, how will we honestly know who is the strongest if everyone is wearing gear? No wonder the Russians have been laughing at us! WE USE to dominate EVERYTHING is strength sports, but we've become soft, literally and metaphorically.

I dont know much about powerliftin, but Id think there are two types of people... Those who want to watch the most weights lifted no matter wut (geared) and those who want to man vs. the iron without the gear (raw). Which one is more compelling? Think of swimming. Wuz it better when it wuz just swimmers in speedos or swimmers today in their high tech suits?

Man vs. Iron is more compelling if you ask me! When a guy squats 900 with only knee wraps to protect his knees from permanent damage, it is far more impressive than a walking mummy in 2-3 layers of gear, plus briefs, plus extra long knee wraps and an erector shirt.

We've become soft in this country. Like I said about, we use to absolutely dominate all strength sports on Earth.

Altered Beast
06-04-13, 9:14 am
above not about*