PDA

View Full Version : Better shoe: VFF or a dedicated strength shoe?

jrh0341
03-27-13, 1:00 pm
Which do you prefer and why?

A minimalist VFF (vibram five fingers aka those goofy toe shoes) or a straight up weightlifting shoe?

Right now I work in a pair of VFF KSO Sports

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzpxemAsx31qegl2ao1_400.jpg

but I am considering switching over to a regular strength training shoe, like a rogue, nike romaleo or adidas adipower.

This would really only be for squats. The VFF are doing just great for all my other lower body stuff. My main issue with squats has been a slight discomfort where my hamstring meets my ass, feels like a tendon issue maybe.

Any opinions or experiences, shoe wise?

Firefist
03-27-13, 1:08 pm
Which do you prefer and why?

A minimalist VFF (vibram five fingers aka those goofy toe shoes) or a straight up weightlifting shoe?

Right now I work in a pair of VFF KSO Sports

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzpxemAsx31qegl2ao1_400.jpg

but I am considering switching over to a regular strength training shoe, like a rogue, nike romaleo or adidas adipower.

This would really only be for squats. The VFF are doing just great for all my other lower body stuff. My main issue with squats has been a slight discomfort where my hamstring meets my ass, feels like a tendon issue maybe.

Any opinions or experiences, shoe wise?

I used to wear a pair of bikalas and a pair of NB minimus. Both were good, low, and had plenty of support. For the last year or so, I've been wearing cloth karate shoes that you see the old guys in the 80's martial arts movies would wear. The last time I was in taiwan, I walked into a small shoe store and the old lady and man who ran the shop sewed and glued 6 pairs of them for me while I walked around the market. For a simple, hand sewed cloth shoe, these things are tanks. Still on my first pair.

Alot of guys are gonna suggest the chucks, for the same reasons we like the barefoot and for me, ninja shoes. I've never tried any shoes with the raised heels.

G Diesel
03-27-13, 1:22 pm
Wrestling shoes. Asics preferably.

Hands down the best thing I've ever trained in.

Peace, G

Aggression
03-27-13, 1:25 pm
I wore a pair of chucks for the longest time (squat and dead days). Recently, I've purchased the asics wrestling shoes, like G mentioned. Worlds different in the comfort department.

Ninja
03-27-13, 1:31 pm

Peace, G

agreed!!!!

Appollonian
03-27-13, 1:33 pm

Peace, G

Do these have any arch support at all in them?

Not to hijack the thread, but I've read that you should have shoes with minimal support (like the Chucks). In theory I can understand, but growing up I had extremely flat feet and had to wear high arch shoes to basically cheat an arch which thankfully I now have a descent one. The problem is if I spend too much time without an arch, I get bad ankle, knee and lower back pain as my arch starts to flatten out a bit. For a few hours a day it isn't a big problem as it's not long enough to do too much damage, but it would be great if I could wear good lifting shoes that don't work against my arch.

Jay_de
03-27-13, 1:43 pm
I always hated the look of the vibram five finger shoes. My son begged for a pair so I picked him up some and decided to give them a shot for myself (the Komodo Sports). I must say, I really really like them a lot. Recently picked up a pair of the black and white speeds after seeing the House in a pair.

I tried chucks but just didn't like the way they felt. I like lifting in the VFF speeds much better.

Phil800101
03-27-13, 2:06 pm
Chucks or wrestling shoes.

I have a pair of the Adidas adipure barefoot trainers. I used to wear them all the time, but now I stick to my Chucks. They're not bad or anything, I just prefer the Chucks.

Personally, I don't think there's any need for the dedicated strength shoes, especially just for regular strength training given what they cost. Chucks or wrestling shoes will work just fine, and at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the strength shoes.

Aggression
03-27-13, 2:11 pm
Personally, I don't think there's any need for the dedicated strength shoes, especially just for regular strength training given what they cost. Chucks or wrestling shoes will work just fine, and at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the strength shoes.

A good point to hit on. Its like how we used to want the 'brand new bat' for little league because we though we'd be able to jack a HR with it. Or the crispiest basketball shoes would make us jump higher. The best of the best in the game wear different shoes, all with preference. When Stan hit the record total this past weekend, I saw he was squatting in wrestling shoes, I believe. Sam Byrd hit an 825 squat, with just a belt and knee wraps, 4 weeks out from a BB show .. in chucks. Eric Lilliebridge and his fam squat in some type of basic, flat soled Adidas shoe. They're all at the top of the sport and they prefer the basics. They aren't going out there buying $200 pair of shoes. And for us 'average joes', we shouldn't be worrying about the minor stuff. Wear what's comfortable and train hard.

Phil800101
03-27-13, 2:27 pm
My main issue with squats has been a slight discomfort where my hamstring meets my ass, feels like a tendon issue maybe.

Sounds like the good ole' glute-ham tie-in.

Do you experience any pain/discomfort in this area other than when you're squatting? Deadlifts, going up stairs, stuff like that?

If the answer is no, then it's probably a form issue with your squats.

If the answer is yes, then it could be an irritation or slight injury...which could also be due to form on squats.

As far as I know, footwear shouldn't have an issue with this either way.

Cascade
03-27-13, 2:59 pm
I was just lamenting that I don't have my Asics for lifting anymore.

I got rid of them because I found them really uncomfortable doing conditioning (prowler, med ball, battle ropes, etc) or explosive movements like plyos or olympic lifts. I have a pair of Adipower weightlifting shoes and I strongly recommend them for squats, RDL, deadlift, cleans, snatches, but I wouldn't say they are required. I would just avoid any "training" shoes that are too squishy and allow your foot to move around too much.

Currently lifting in Nike frees and my Adipowers.

Aggression
03-27-13, 3:33 pm
Ascis wrestling shoes for squats/deads
Asics running shoes for upper body and conditioning days.

I love dem Asics.

Jay
03-27-13, 3:39 pm

Peace, G

Have to agree with G. Just purchased a pair of Asic Wrestling Shoes, split second 9. Got a killer deal on em. (70, got em for 40) Best shoe's for lifting yet.

jrh0341
03-27-13, 4:23 pm
Sounds like the good ole' glute-ham tie-in.

Do you experience any pain/discomfort in this area other than when you're squatting? Deadlifts, going up stairs, stuff like that?

If the answer is no, then it's probably a form issue with your squats.

If the answer is yes, then it could be an irritation or slight injury...which could also be due to form on squats.

As far as I know, footwear shouldn't have an issue with this either way.

Deadlifts yes.

Heavy bent over row or Tbar rows, yes. (noticeable but very mild).

I didn't always have this issue so I was starting to assume it was just age. (32 tomorrow).

I guess I'll stick with my trusty KSOs for now. They feel good and the activation in the lower leg is pretty nice too.

I've done chucks and they were just ok. I actually preferred this really basic cheap pair of AND1 bball shoes I had. The had a thin flat sole but hugged my feet well.

I think one of my all time favorites (other than my KSOs) would be my old MC Combat boots.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/utility/improvements/media/boot_full.jpg
Back in the day on active duty, these things were serious tanks. Comfortable, firm sole, plenty of support. Of course I would only really use them if I was working out in boots and utes, and trying to do legs in those cammie cargo pants, yeah... its doable, but not what I'd call comfortable.

Madcat
03-27-13, 4:30 pm

Peace, G

This, I've had mine for 3-4 years now and still holding up. I actually only use them for back and leg day, then just sport normal sneakers for chest, shoulders, etc. But definitely LOVE the Asic's I got on clearance at Dicks and have lasted forever.

Phil800101
03-27-13, 4:56 pm
Deadlifts yes.

Heavy bent over row or Tbar rows, yes. (noticeable but very mild).

I didn't always have this issue so I was starting to assume it was just age. (32 tomorrow).

Yeah, I would google around about the glute-ham tie-in, see if what you can find. Might be a mobility/tightness issue, in which case some different stretches or foam rolling type stuff might help.

If not (especially if stretching hurts) you might want to see a doctor (if that's an option), especially if it gets any worse.

Appollonian
03-27-13, 5:07 pm
Yeah, I would google around about the glute-ham tie-in, see if what you can find. Might be a mobility/tightness issue, in which case some different stretches or foam rolling type stuff might help.

If not (especially if stretching hurts) you might want to see a doctor (if that's an option), especially if it gets any worse.

And if the doctor can't give you a good diagnosis, see another.

Phil800101
03-27-13, 5:10 pm
And if the doctor can't give you a good diagnosis, see another.

Word.

tomysaw
03-27-13, 7:57 pm
Yeahhh, chucks all the way.

N. Motta
03-27-13, 8:14 pm
If I saw myself wearing vibrams I'd kick my own ass.

TheAlphaWolf
04-09-13, 8:07 pm
I wear Vibrams. I use to be into barefoot running. Oddly enough, I find them very comfortable even though I am flat footed. They also double as shower shoes.