IrishMike
04-03-13, 1:27 pm
Whats better for packing on mass?

Standing Shoulder Press

or Sitting?

Is their much of a difference?

Aggression
04-03-13, 2:04 pm
You're splitting hairs. Do them both throughout your training. Standing will also activate your core for stability while seated isolates the shoulders a bit more. Both are very effective at building great shoulders. Personally, I did more seated than I did standing when it came to BB. Now I do more standing for PL.

In Flames
04-03-13, 3:38 pm
Alternate weekly. One week Standing, next week Seated, the following week Dumbell, etc. I also alternate Seated version with Seated Smith Behind the Neck, lighter weight but higher reps (15-30) to save my joints but it really fries my Shoulders.

rainman
04-03-13, 6:03 pm
Recently I've been doing both. I'll do a standing shoulder barbell press at the start of my arm day, using no leg drive, my benching width grip and having the bar rest on my chest between each press. I have found this has improved my lat and core stability and translated well with my benching too. On my back/ rear delts day I do seated dumbbell shoulder presses, keeping the DBs more to my sides and touching my shoulders between each rep.
I've gone back to doing both during my workouts as I find each has a benefit. I feel the SSP has given me more mass overall but the seated DB presses has targeted the shoulder area more and helped with definition. I do them on different days as I feel that by doing one, then the other, during the same workout I wasn't able to give 100% to each exercise.

IrishMike
04-03-13, 6:05 pm
Great advice all the way around.

Thanks guys

BOSS
04-05-13, 10:25 am
Seated press, military press and seated DB press are all great not to mention seated behind the neck press. My advice would be to go to a heavy top set on whatever exercise you do on a given day and then back down to something you can do 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps with and hammer out a lot of volume as well. And then laterals!

IrishMike
04-05-13, 11:36 am
Awesome!!

will do.

JHOORNSTRA
04-14-13, 7:07 pm
I personally do both and rotate but I believe that standing is harder, there's the balance factor as well as less of a foundation vs sitting where you just rely on the shoulders solely. I think that both are great though and recommend doing them both as well.

JHo

C.Coronato
04-15-13, 2:27 pm
Alternate weekly. One week Standing, next week Seated, the following week Dumbell, etc. I also alternate Seated version with Seated Smith Behind the Neck, lighter weight but higher reps (15-30) to save my joints but it really fries my Shoulders.

Exactly what I do.

brentwillisbgw
04-17-13, 1:39 am
I've found them to be fairly equal as far as adding mass. I did standing presses for over a year, and then because of an injury had to do them seated for about 6 weeks, and I didn't really see a difference in shoulder development.

In Flames
04-17-13, 9:51 am
To add onto my post already and I believe someone else already said this as well but Laterals, Laterals, and even more Laterals. Side Laterals is what really packs on the mass to your Shoulders for the illusion of that X look (wide shoulders, small waist). I do more Laterals than Pressing movements for my Shoulders.

Bcast
04-25-13, 7:36 pm
I like seated better. I think it helps to focus on them a bit more without incorporating other muscles. When you stand it's easier to use other body parts like legs which helps get more weight up, but I think a slower more controlled seated press is ideal.

JHOORNSTRA
04-25-13, 7:47 pm
I like seated better. I think it helps to focus on them a bit more without incorporating other muscles. When you stand it's easier to use other body parts like legs which helps get more weight up, but I think a slower more controlled seated press is ideal.

I think they're easier seated, more stable, etc. I see the leg drive and other muscle groups but the balance and everything makes it harder. I'm doing a solid 50-75 more seated...but that's just me.

JHo

shredduck
04-30-13, 10:28 am
Like Aggression said, there's no huge difference.

I'll usually do seated behind the neck presses on shoulder days. A couple days ago I was doing standing presses in a barbell complex and I felt my core working to stabilize, and I could only knock out about 5 reps standing with what I could do seated for 8.

So if you're looking for the most stress on your shoulders, do seated press. If you're looking for overall functional strength, then do standing presses.

deanna7272
10-07-14, 2:36 pm
I want to throw this out there, but it sure that it's worthy if an entire thread being started... (Possibly two questions... Just bear with me..lol)

Of course, in any division on stage, we are looking to add size to our shoulders ... I have built a base, but always looking to improve them... I've been super setting and such, doing heavier seated DB presses (don't like machine presses unless I'm seated facing the machine because of the angle that it hits gives me a little pain)... For rears, I'm hitting some sort of superset or triset ... Laterals, laterals, laterals, of course...

My issue here is, structurally I have a "flat" spot between my front and rear (at the top shoulder) in my I'm doing laterals... I am not sure if I'm describing it well, I'm not sure if it's an overdeveloped front (aided by benching) or what, but is there anything that I can do to possibly help round out those caps? ((Not sure that's enough info, but...))

Now, the main reason I searched for this thread... The last 3 or 4 shoulder sessions, I am sore through my shoulders, but I am SORE SORE in my lats... Is it just because I am overcompensating on the heavy presses or should I just look at it as additional lat work...lol

Sorry for being all over the place with those questions, and I sound like it's my first day in the gym, but I figured I'd go to those that can help...

Thanks in advance guys...

moparguy55
10-17-14, 10:36 am
I think they're easier seated, more stable, etc. I see the leg drive and other muscle groups but the balance and everything makes it harder. I'm doing a solid 50-75 more seated...but that's just me.

JHo

Ditto

if seated another 50+lbs ontop of my ohp. Not sure i could even push press what i do seated. Seated i can get leg drive vs strict ohp.

G Diesel
10-17-14, 12:10 pm

JHo

Ditto

if seated another 50+lbs ontop of my ohp. Not sure i could even push press what i do seated. Seated i can get leg drive vs strict ohp.

Word. Me too.

The standing military press is a monster of an exercise. When you start getting into heavy low rep sets, your whole body is firing to keep you from falling backwards or folding in half.

Peace, G