PDA

View Full Version : My Road

TheAlphaWolf
04-05-13, 3:48 pm
Going to copy my routine for today at the bottom.

This is my road. My current routine is a Push/Pull/Legs routine. While it may not be the most optimal routine - I greatly enjoy my routine. I make small tweaks along the way to make the routine truly mine. Of course, the most important thing is: I am getting results with this program. Of course, no log would be complete without telling you my goals. I am currently 240lbs. So as you would imagine - I am on a cut. I have delt with a lot of depression over the last couple of years. I lost the love of my life, gained over 100lbs, and spent a long time in a downward spiral. All of that is changing. My past still gets to me at time, but it is also the drive for my future. Every day I want to be better than I was yesterday. My short term goal is simple(6 month to a year) - I want a visible four pack. Why? Because that is my goal. My long term goal: To look into the mirror and not be ashamed of what I am. Both physically and mentally. I would like to see a three plate squat and four plate deadlift, but I know that will take years. I don't mind the length of the road, because I love walking it.

Pull day:

Rack Pulls 2x9, 2x8 @ 275lbs
BB Row 2x9, 2x8 @ 115lbs
Lat Pull down 2x9, 2x8 @ 100lbs
Pull up negatives 1x10
Dumbbell Shrugs 2x9, 2x8 @ 50lbs DBs
BB Reverse Grip Curls 2x9, 2x8 @ 40lbs
Hammer curls 2x9, 2x8 @ 20lbs

Tried reverse grip on the curls. Got a good pump off of it. Got talked into trying pull up negatives and damn. They hit me harder than lat pulldowns.

Dman
04-05-13, 6:49 pm
Looks good and welcome to the forums also!! I like the idea of push pull as long as it gives ya results that's def a plus too! I hear ya there we're all here to help support one another and along the way get Strong(er) and better in the gym and out as a person keep pushing through and you will accomplish those goals there all within reach my man I'm in on ur journey!!

TheAlphaWolf
04-08-13, 10:21 am
Looks good and welcome to the forums also!! I like the idea of push pull as long as it gives ya results that's def a plus too! I hear ya there we're all here to help support one another and along the way get Strong(er) and better in the gym and out as a person keep pushing through and you will accomplish those goals there all within reach my man I'm in on ur journey!!

Thanks!

Saturday was leg day. Didn't want to hit it too hard. Had a long hiking trip planned. Decided to up the weight on squats some and lower the volume.

Squats: 3x5 @ 225lbs
Leg extentions 2x10 @ 115lbs
Leg curls 2x10 @ 70lbs
Hiking afterwards - put in 5 miles at a steady pace with very few stops. Not bad for a fat guy.

Sunday was rest day - push this morning. Came close to getting pinned for the first time. 135lbs may not be much to a lot of guys but getting it up that many times is a challenge for me. But, I held in and pushed with all I was worth and finished out the set.

Bench press 3x9, 1x8 @ 135lbs
Cable Fly 3x9, 1x8 @ 25lbs
Overhead Press 3x9, 1x8 @ 55lbs
Side raises 3x9, 1x8 @ 15lbs
Tricep overhead extentions 3x9, 1x8 @ 45lbs
Tricep push down 3x9, 1x8 @ 35lbs

Somewhat thinking of replacing overhead press with seated dumbbell press for now. Still looking for an alternate for overhead tricep extentions. I enjoy them but, for some reason they seem to put a lot of pressure on my elbow.

Extreme
04-08-13, 1:29 pm
From the small bit of information given on your past it looks as though you and I share similar stories. I've been battling with myself for the last 3 years, but have finally found peace and am on the road to becoming a better individual...and the iron is there to help me with that. Good to see you giving it your all. Will be subbed to see how you progress.

UnknownGuardian
04-08-13, 1:52 pm
Everything looks good so far Brotha. Just remember that you shouldn’t worry about others opinion on what “Light Weight” is. It is our progress not weight that matters. Too many people forget that they started at the same place others did. Good on you for listening to your body. And as for the Over head Tricep Extension you may want to take a look at your form or warmup to what you feel is heavy weight. It took me a while to get those right. Keep your head up your doing great.

TheAlphaWolf
04-08-13, 3:16 pm
It is nice to see someone understands where I am coming from. I appreciate the encouragement guys! You can be I will be following both of you as well. I agree with the overhead extention form - I have to be doing this exercise wrong. I am not feeling it in my triceps - mostly my elbows. I don't really warm up my triceps, I just assumed they were warmed up enough from benching - but in the future I will make sure I warm them up with lighter weight rather than going straight to my work sets. Again, I appreciate the replies!

TheAlphaWolf
04-09-13, 10:24 am
For a long time I was stuck at 225lbs for reps with my deadlift. So, I was doing rack pulls. Today I decided to give deadlifts another shot... I said what the hell - and loaded up 275lbs. Managed to pop out 5 good reps. I am so stoked. I can almost taste that three plate deadlift!

I was talked into trying low rows today and I really like them. I think for now I will replace my BB rows with them since I will be deadlifting again. My lower back is so tired by the time I make it to them. We will see how it effects progress. If I find I am not gaining anything from it, I will switch back. My routine is of course, a constant evolution as I grow and gain new experince.

Pull day:

Deadlifts 1x5 @..... 275lbs!!!!
BB Row 3x9, 1x8 @ 115lbs
Lat Pull down 3x9, 1x8 @ 100lbs
Pull up negatives 4x1 (Superset with the lat pull downs)
Low Row 4x8 @ 100lbs - Was my first time trying this
Dumbbell Shrugs 3x9, 1x8 @ 50lbs DBs
BB Reverse Grip Curls 3x9, 1x8 @ 40lbs
Hammer curls 3x9, 1x8 @ 20lbs
Kneeling cable crunch(superset) 3x9, 1x8 @ 95lbs
Wood chop(superset) 3x9, 1x8 @ 50lbs (Went heavier with this today - felt great)

Cardio:

10 minutes of interval. Didn't have time to finish my 30 minutes due to work. Will do cardio again later to make up for it.

UnknownGuardian
04-09-13, 12:47 pm
For a long time I was stuck at 225lbs for reps with my deadlift. So, I was doing rack pulls. Today I decided to give deadlifts another shot... I said what the hell - and loaded up 275lbs. Managed to pop out 5 good reps. I am so stoked. I can almost taste that three plate deadlift!

I was talked into trying low rows today and I really like them. I think for now I will replace my BB rows with them since I will be deadlifting again. My lower back is so tired by the time I make it to them. We will see how it effects progress. If I find I am not gaining anything from it, I will switch back. My routine is of course, a constant evolution as I grow and gain new experince.

Pull day:

BB Row 3x9, 1x8 @ 115lbs
Wood chop(superset) 3x9, 1x8 @ 50lbs (Went heavier with this today - felt great)

Cardio:

10 minutes of interval. Didn't have time to finish my 30 minutes due to work. Will do cardio again later to make up for it.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish overall? Are you looking to become a Powerlifter or Bodybuilder?

TheAlphaWolf
04-09-13, 1:15 pm
My primary goal is bodybuilding, though I would like to incorporate strength to an extent. At some point, I may shift my focus towards strength training. Once I get to my ideal composition (I do not have unrealistic expectations – though I suspect it will take me at least two years to reach this) I may alternate between strength focus/hypertrophy focus every few months. I do not desire the extremes of either side. I do see benefits in both focuses. Right now though, I want to mold my body.

UnknownGuardian
04-09-13, 1:41 pm
My primary goal is bodybuilding, though I would like to incorporate strength to an extent. At some point, I may shift my focus towards strength training. Once I get to my ideal composition (I do not have unrealistic expectations – though I suspect it will take me at least two years to reach this) I may alternate between strength focus/hypertrophy focus every few months. I do not desire the extremes of either side. I do see benefits in both focuses. Right now though, I want to mold my body.

Ok, so having said that I wouldnt worry about how much weight you want to do untill you get back to "Strength Training". Its good to mix in Basic Powerlifting Movements in with Bodybuilding routines but dont caught up in the numbers of weight. Focus on the contractions, focus on how hard you can contract your muscle with the given amount of weight. In my opinion a Basic Rep Scheme for Hypertrophy 12-15 for Upper Body and 15-20 for Lower Body. When you get back to Strenght Training is when you start hitting those reps that are 10 or lower.

TheAlphaWolf
04-09-13, 2:06 pm
I don’t worry too much about the weight, but it does feel good to make progress. One plate looks better than none, two plates looks better than one, and three plates is just plain sexy. I don’t see myself going very far past three plates on my deadlift/squat and two plates on my bench without switching to a strength routine. When I first started I used All Pro’s full body workout. I enjoyed it – so I carried the varying rep ranges over to my current routine. I start at 4x8 progress up through 4x12. You may have noticed this through my log so far – I add a rep every workout. When I hit 4x12 – I drop back down and increase weight. I think this helps with preventing a sticking point. It is not the fastest progression method, but it keeps me from burning out. The most important part is – it is working. When I first started my routine I struggled with getting 135lbs up. Period. Now – I am able to push it up without dying. I do know at some point I will start to burn out on this routine or plateau. So far my two options I have planned are: 5DAW Bro-split – I know hitting each muscle group once a week when you are not advanced is not optimal, but it would allow some recovery and provide something different. My second option is moving to a strength routine. I would probably keep those routines for 2-3 months, then switch back to Push/Pull/Legs. I hope I don’t plateau anytime soon but I do want to have plans in place!

UnknownGuardian
04-09-13, 2:31 pm
I don’t worry too much about the weight, but it does feel good to make progress. One plate looks better than none, two plates looks better than one, and three plates is just plain sexy. I don’t see myself going very far past three plates on my deadlift/squat and two plates on my bench without switching to a strength routine. When I first started I used All Pro’s full body workout. I enjoyed it – so I carried the varying rep ranges over to my current routine. I start at 4x8 progress up through 4x12. You may have noticed this through my log so far – I add a rep every workout. When I hit 4x12 – I drop back down and increase weight. I think this helps with preventing a sticking point. It is not the fastest progression method, but it keeps me from burning out. The most important part is – it is working. When I first started my routine I struggled with getting 135lbs up. Period. Now – I am able to push it up without dying. I do know at some point I will start to burn out on this routine or plateau. So far my two options I have planned are: 5DAW Bro-split – I know hitting each muscle group once a week when you are not advanced is not optimal, but it would allow some recovery and provide something different. My second option is moving to a strength routine. I would probably keep those routines for 2-3 months, then switch back to Push/Pull/Legs. I hope I don’t plateau anytime soon but I do want to have plans in place!

As long as your are making progress. You mgiht want to look up Periodization Training. It is somewhat similar to what you say you are doing in your training.

Dman
04-09-13, 3:10 pm

Pull day:

BB Row 3x9, 1x8 @ 115lbs

Cardio:

Nice my man looks like u had a solid day here keep pushing past limits and hell yea on hittn 275 on deads that's Awesome!!!

TheAlphaWolf
04-09-13, 3:23 pm
Thanks man! I scoffed at rack pulls at first but, man they do help. Especially with the top range of motion. I will def look into Periodization Training.

TheAlphaWolf
04-10-13, 10:38 am
Almost didn't do squats. My knee is acting up. I may give box squats a try, I am told they are easier on the knee. I have a torn meniscus and my knee didn't fully heal correctly when I fractured it so - Squats can sometimes bring me more pain than pleasure. I will be trying box squats next leg day.

Leg Day:

Tried something new for my leg warmup today. Did some volume work on the lateral leg press. I think I will warm up this way from now on.
Squats 3x9, 1x8 @ 185lbs
Leg extentions 3x9, 1x8 @ 115lbs
Leg curls 3x9, 1x8 @ 70lbs
Seated Calf raise(weighted) 3x12, 1xfailure
Standing calf raise(weighted) 3x12 1xfailuire

TheAlphaWolf
04-12-13, 10:30 am
Today’s workout was crap. Not even going to bother writing it down. Didn’t get much sleep last night, and just couldn’t push through hardly anything today. My mental state was weak. I took some good out of it. I figured if I wasn’t going to get a good workout – I would at least be productive. Spent a good amount of time working on my bench form – I progressed a lot with my form today. Spent a good 40 minutes doing nothing but doing sets of 3 @ 135lbs. I am proud to say that as long as I can keep this form – my elbows experience no pain during benching now. Usually the elbow of my injured arm is close to dying by the time I finish benching. Followed up with 30 minutes of HIIT cardio.

Dman
04-12-13, 3:10 pm
Today’s workout was crap. Not even going to bother writing it down. Didn’t get much sleep last night, and just couldn’t push through hardly anything today. My mental state was weak. I took some good out of it. I figured if I wasn’t going to get a good workout – I would at least be productive. Spent a good amount of time working on my bench form – I progressed a lot with my form today. Spent a good 40 minutes doing nothing but doing sets of 3 @ 135lbs. I am proud to say that as long as I can keep this form – my elbows experience no pain during benching now. Usually the elbow of my injured arm is close to dying by the time I finish benching. Followed up with 30 minutes of HIIT cardio.

Hey that's good you worked on bench technique and worked around being tired, I def have had more than a few of those training days some days in gym are better than others and vice versa but props for sticking it out & gettn in some bench technique sounds like a good opportunity to work on that!

TheAlphaWolf
04-14-13, 9:03 pm
Been a busy weekend. Did pull Saturday, legs today. Managed to squeak out two personal records this weekend! Deadlift 1x3 @ 315lbs! And since I was working out with a friend - I got him to spot me for a bench max out. We loaded up 185lbs thinking that would be close to my 1RM.. Nope. Focused in and banged out 5 good reps. Was so stoked. We loaded up 225lbs - I almost got it .So close that I could taste it. I think this weekend has altered my perception of what I want. I think going forward I will aim for strength in my compounds and hypertrophy in my accessories.

Extreme
04-15-13, 8:50 am
Been a busy weekend. Did pull Saturday, legs today. Managed to squeak out two personal records this weekend! Deadlift 1x3 @ 315lbs! And since I was working out with a friend - I got him to spot me for a bench max out. We loaded up 185lbs thinking that would be close to my 1RM.. Nope. Focused in and banged out 5 good reps. Was so stoked. We loaded up 225lbs - I almost got it .So close that I could taste it. I think this weekend has altered my perception of what I want. I think going forward I will aim for strength in my compounds and hypertrophy in my accessories.

Congrats on the PR's bro!! Its always an awesome feeling when you're leaving the gym knowing you just set the world on fire, haha.

TheAlphaWolf
04-15-13, 10:59 am
Congrats on the PR's bro!! Its always an awesome feeling when you're leaving the gym knowing you just set the world on fire, haha.

Thanks man! It absolutely is. The good thing about setting a new PRs is that you know what you are doing - is working!

TheAlphaWolf
04-16-13, 10:26 am
Dropped back to 8 reps today and went up in weight. I think I will be switching my routine order to: Pull, Push, Legs. Since I am adding heavier deadlifts - this will give me the ability to have a bit more recovery time between them and squats.

Pull day:

Deadlifts: 5x1 @ 315lbs (5 singles)
Low Row: 4x8 @ 130lbs
Lat Pulldown: 4x8 @ 120lbs
Shrugs 4x8 @ 230lbs
BB curls 4x8 @ 50lbs

25 minutes of HIIT Cardio

I think I will change up my macros. For the last month, my weight has stayed the same - 240lbs. Right now I am eating around 2400 calories, so I will drop this down to 2200 and see how it goes. Right now I am cutting, as I want a lower BF. To reiterate - my goal is around 10-12% bodyfat. I give that range because I am not sure what I will look like once I hit 12.

New Macro Goals:

Protein: 200g
Carbs: 180g
Fat: 75g

UnknownGuardian
04-16-13, 5:16 pm
Dropped back to 8 reps today and went up in weight. I think I will be switching my routine order to: Pull, Push, Legs. Since I am adding heavier deadlifts - this will give me the ability to have a bit more recovery time between them and squats.

Pull day:

Deadlifts: 5x1 @ 315lbs (5 singles)
Low Row: 4x8 @ 130lbs
Lat Pulldown: 4x8 @ 120lbs
Shrugs 4x8 @ 230lbs
BB curls 4x8 @ 50lbs

25 minutes of HIIT Cardio

I think I will change up my macros. For the last month, my weight has stayed the same - 240lbs. Right now I am eating around 2400 calories, so I will drop this down to 2200 and see how it goes. Right now I am cutting, as I want a lower BF. To reiterate - my goal is around 10-12% bodyfat. I give that range because I am not sure what I will look like once I hit 12.

New Macro Goals:

Protein: 200g
Carbs: 180g
Fat: 75g

Just a suggestion but your Protein and fat intake should be alot higher, around the range of 300g of protein and 100 to 105g of fat. Did you ever get a chance to look at "Periodization Training"? It would help you with lowering your body fat so much quicker.

TheAlphaWolf
04-16-13, 7:35 pm
Yup. Moving to 5x5 for my strength phase. Will start at 8 week phases. Wouldnt that put me around 2700-2800 calories?

TheAlphaWolf
04-17-13, 8:45 am
Decided to go ahead and started my 8 week strength phase today. Was going to wait until I got a little more of a 1RM, but I figure this will get it up there more than what I was doing. The more I can lift, the more I will be able to do in the hypertrophy phase. I am not sure why this style of training did not dawn on me before. I owe UnknownGuardian for introduction me to it. I really like the idea of the going through the phases. I made a mistake today in underestimating how taxing going heavy can be. 90 seconds rest is NOT enough, at least for me. So, I ended up burning out on bench before getting 5x5.

Bench 1x5 @ 185lbs, 1x4 @ 185lbs, 2x5 @ 175lbs, 1x4 @ 175lbs.. Need to add more rest time here.
Dumbbell Fly 5x5 @ 35lbs(Once again, not sure if I add the dumbbells together or list each one) - This will most likely go up. I am working on technique on the dumbbell fly.
Overhead Press 5x5 @ 95lbs ( I need to add another good shoulder movement.. My shoulders are pretty weak - specifically my right one)
Assisted Dips 5x5
Tricep Pulldown 5x5 @ 65lbs
Wood Chops 5x5 @ 50lbs
Ab machine 5x5 @ 150lbs

Overall, I like the strength style more than I thought I would. This of course, is just a first impression though.

UnknownGuardian
04-17-13, 11:55 am
Decided to go ahead and started my 8 week strength phase today. Was going to wait until I got a little more of a 1RM, but I figure this will get it up there more than what I was doing. The more I can lift, the more I will be able to do in the hypertrophy phase. I am not sure why this style of training did not dawn on me before. I owe UnknownGuardian for introduction me to it. I really like the idea of the going through the phases. I made a mistake today in underestimating how taxing going heavy can be. 90 seconds rest is NOT enough, at least for me. So, I ended up burning out on bench before getting 5x5.

Bench 1x5 @ 185lbs, 1x4 @ 185lbs, 2x5 @ 175lbs, 1x4 @ 175lbs.. Need to add more rest time here.
Dumbbell Fly 5x5 @ 35lbs(Once again, not sure if I add the dumbbells together or list each one) - This will most likely go up. I am working on technique on the dumbbell fly.
Overhead Press 5x5 @ 95lbs ( I need to add another good shoulder movement.. My shoulders are pretty weak - specifically my right one)
Assisted Dips 5x5
Tricep Pulldown 5x5 @ 65lbs
Wood Chops 5x5 @ 50lbs
Ab machine 5x5 @ 150lbs

Overall, I like the strength style more than I thought I would. This of course, is just a first impression though.

No time like the present to start a new program. And don’t worry about owing me anything. That is what we are here for to help and support each other through our "Journey". Whether it is Nutrition, Training, or life in general. As for the question about the 2800 calories. Yes it would put you up there but you have to remember that you are trying to burn "Fat Calories" not just calories in general. So, by keeping your protein high you’re not burning through your muscle, by keeping your fat high you’re teaching your body to use fat as fuel instead of carbs (Which is a good thing since by what I see your carbs are already low). There are so many other benefits to keeping your fat high but I won’t bore you with those now. Just try it for the month that you are using this program and see what happens. Oh, the last thing I wanted to tell you was to keep up your cardio. I’ve heard that HIIT training is best complimented with this style of training that you are undertaking.

TheAlphaWolf
04-17-13, 3:49 pm
I will give it a shot – I mean, I am not losing weight on my current macros so, what could the harm be? I will do additional cardio(Which I should be doing anyway – need to have a healthy heart, especially since heart problems run in the family)

New Macros:
300g Protein
200g Carbs
100g Fats

TheAlphaWolf
04-19-13, 10:25 am
I had a pretty good workout this morning, despite having a bad case of deadlift gas. I was upsetting the person who was using the smith machine near me. But, you know – there are other smith machines in the gym. When I do deadlifts, I try to use the bar from the least used free weight bench and do them in the corner of the gym - out of the way. He gave me an evil look but, whatever. I was there before he was and there are only places he can do his funky smith machine barbell curls. That being said….

Pull day:
Deadlift 1x5 @ 285lbs, 1x1 @ 315lbs
Cable low row 3x8 @ 145lbs
Lat pull down 3x8 @ 120lbs
Shrugs (For reference, I do shrugs on the Hammer Strength shrug machine – I do them standing) 3x8 @ 270lbs
Rear delt fly 3x8 @ 25lbs
Ez bar bicep curl 3x8 @ 50lbs
Abs
20 minutes HIIT cardio

I moved my accessories to 3x8 – as I cannot move as much weight on these. And it seems to be pretty standard with most strength programs to have accessories in 3x8. I have read up a lot of strength rep schemes. To be honest, I am not sure how to mark progression. I’ve thought about going with 70% of my current 1RM and going from there, adding weight each lift day. I have also heard three week cycles such as this:
3x5
4x5
5x5
Add weight, and then drop back down to 3x5. One I thought of was:
5x5
5x4 – add weight
5x3 – add weight
5x2 – add weight
5x1 – add weight.
Restart with 5x4 weight as 5x5 and repeat. Once again, I am not a strength guy – as you can tell by my weaker lifts. What are you guys thoughts on strength rep setups?

TheAlphaWolf
04-19-13, 11:52 am
Also... Another setup I was thinking of was using a ramp up. For example instead of doing 5x5 @ 170 for example I would do 1x5 ramping up 135,145,155,165,185.. Aiming to lift more each ramp up on my last set.

UnknownGuardian
04-19-13, 1:52 pm
Ever heard of the 531 Method. I used it when I wanted to get more strength for my Bodybuilding routine.

TheAlphaWolf
04-19-13, 2:27 pm
Ever heard of the 531 Method. I used it when I wanted to get more strength for my Bodybuilding routine.

No, but I have now. I like the idea. I think I will apply the idea behind it to my routine. I think 531 would go good with my push/pull/leg since my routine is based around compounds(Except that I have OHP and bench on the same day)

Saeger
04-19-13, 3:49 pm
Some solid work going on in here brother, Keep on killing it.

TheAlphaWolf
04-21-13, 5:36 pm
Some solid work going on in here brother, Keep on killing it.

Thanks brother!

Today was push day. My roomie decided to go with me so, my routine got messed up a bit. He is a very new lifter and I was trying to find lifts that would work for him.

On another note... I think I may have discovered a new passion. While, I do want to look good..... I think I may have fallen in love with powerlifting. I am seriously considering signing up for a meet. I won't win anything of course, but it would really give me a solid goal to train towards. I am currently at(Estimated 1RM):

Bench: 200lbs (Based off 185 x 5)
Squat: 250lbs ( Based off 225 x 5)
Deadlift: 340lbs ( Based off 315 x 3 )

I think I would be looking for my first meet towards the beginning of next year. By then I would hope to be around 190lbs with the following lifts:

Bench: 225lbs
Squat: 315lbs
Deadlift: 405lbs

I know these goals are kind of out there but, at least if I am aiming for the sky I will push harder to get there. I think I will still alternate my routine between strength and hypertrophy, but now with 8 weeks strength focus and 4 weeks hypertrophy . This will keep me from over doing it and burning out (Not to mention killing my CNS with constant heavy work) Who knows, maybe I will see some of the Carolina Animals at the meet!

The most important thing I need to work on right now is my squat depth and form. I think my deadlift form is okay, and my bench is okay - though I will need to work on the pause at the bottom for PL meets.

Dman
04-21-13, 6:36 pm
Thanks brother!

Today was push day. My roomie decided to go with me so, my routine got messed up a bit. He is a very new lifter and I was trying to find lifts that would work for him.

On another note... I think I may have discovered a new passion. While, I do want to look good..... I think I may have fallen in love with powerlifting. I am seriously considering signing up for a meet. I won't win anything of course, but it would really give me a solid goal to train towards. I am currently at(Estimated 1RM):

Bench: 200lbs (Based off 185 x 5)
Squat: 250lbs ( Based off 225 x 5)
Deadlift: 340lbs ( Based off 315 x 3 )

I think I would be looking for my first meet towards the beginning of next year. By then I would hope to be around 190lbs with the
following lifts:

Bench: 225lbs
Squat: 315lbs
Deadlift: 405lbs

I know these goals are kind of out there but, at least if I am aiming for the sky I will push harder to get there. I think I will still alternate my routine between strength and hypertrophy, but now with 8 weeks strength focus and 4 weeks hypertrophy . This will keep me from over doing it and burning out (Not to mention killing my CNS with constant heavy work) Who knows, maybe I will see some of the Carolina Animals at the meet!

The most important thing I need to work on right now is my squat depth and form. I think my deadlift form is okay, and my bench is okay - though I will need to work on the pause at the bottom for PL meets.

Looks like an Awesome discovery right there brother keep up the hard work in here and by no time you'll be smashin those goals and breakn new p.r.s!!!

TheAlphaWolf
04-23-13, 10:22 am
Yesterday was legs.. My low bar squat needs a lot of work. I have poor shoulder mobility, this is something I will have to work on.

Today:

Pull day:

Decided to start my 5/3/1 today. I am starting pretty light. To my understanding with 5/3/1 it is much better to start lighter than you think you need to. Start with less weight to lift more later. Its all about progression and progressive overload. Moved my Low row down to 100lbs - At 140 I felt like I was mostly pulling it with my arms and my form was crap. At 100 I feel it in my lats much more because I am able to control my form. I stopped down lat pull down. Since I am in strength phase, I want to minimize my accessories to focus on my compounds.

Deadlifts: 135x5, 145x5, 155x5, 165x5, 175x5.
Cable low row: 3x8 @ 100lbs
Shrugs: 3x8 @ 270
Rear Delt fly - not sure on the exact name for this. Its laying backwards (Chest to bench) on an incline bench and doing the flys there. I know delt work isn't a big deal in strength routines but I need them - both to help create a better shelf for my low bar and because my right delt is very weak from a surgery (They completely seperated my bicep/deltoid to install a plate) 3x8 @ 15lbs(2x15 dumbbell) Exercise was tougher than expected.
EZ bar curl: 3x8 @ 50lbs - I am close to moving up on this one. I was able to perform all reps in a very slow controlled manner with very strict form.

Thinking about ordering a singlet so I can get use to wearing on while lifting. I need to look at different shoe options as well. I don't think they will let me wear my vibrams at a powerlift meet. Plus, I have been meaning to switch to a different shoe for a while - they are about worn out. I am guessing my best bet is a deadlift shoe - since low bar is suppose to have flat sole as well.

UnknownGuardian
04-23-13, 11:38 am
Yesterday was legs.. My low bar squat needs a lot of work. I have poor shoulder mobility, this is something I will have to work on.

Today:

Pull day:

Decided to start my 5/3/1 today. I am starting pretty light. To my understanding with 5/3/1 it is much better to start lighter than you think you need to. Start with less weight to lift more later. Its all about progression and progressive overload. Moved my Low row down to 100lbs - At 140 I felt like I was mostly pulling it with my arms and my form was crap. At 100 I feel it in my lats much more because I am able to control my form. I stopped down lat pull down. Since I am in strength phase, I want to minimize my accessories to focus on my compounds.

Deadlifts: 135x5, 145x5, 155x5, 165x5, 175x5.
Cable low row: 3x8 @ 100lbs
Shrugs: 3x8 @ 270
Rear Delt fly - not sure on the exact name for this. Its laying backwards (Chest to bench) on an incline bench and doing the flys there. I know delt work isn't a big deal in strength routines but I need them - both to help create a better shelf for my low bar and because my right delt is very weak from a surgery (They completely seperated my bicep/deltoid to install a plate) 3x8 @ 15lbs(2x15 dumbbell) Exercise was tougher than expected.
EZ bar curl: 3x8 @ 50lbs - I am close to moving up on this one. I was able to perform all reps in a very slow controlled manner with very strict form.

Thinking about ordering a singlet so I can get use to wearing on while lifting. I need to look at different shoe options as well. I don't think they will let me wear my vibrams at a powerlift meet. Plus, I have been meaning to switch to a different shoe for a while - they are about worn out. I am guessing my best bet is a deadlift shoe - since low bar is suppose to have flat sole as well.

Everything looks great. Keep it up. Only suggestion I would have is to switch the cable row with a dumbbell row. This way you will be able to single out your right rear Delt within another exercise. Which would translate to getting stronger. Do just like you said, light enough to progress through your program.

TheAlphaWolf
04-23-13, 3:10 pm
Everything looks great. Keep it up. Only suggestion I would have is to switch the cable row with a dumbbell row. This way you will be able to single out your right rear Delt within another exercise. Which would translate to getting stronger. Do just like you said, light enough to progress through your program.

I actually thought about that today. One arm dumbbell rows does seem like a great way to address individual weakness, because there is no way for the other one to cheat the weight up. This is why I have moved to dumbbell shoulder press (To address my weaker shoulder)

TheAlphaWolf
04-24-13, 10:22 am
Today was a mess. I had zero strength today. I did a few sets of bench then putted around on machines for a bit. Something beats nothing right? Then.. I did my weigh in. I was heartbroken. I am up in weight. So, I am going to slightly lower my volume and increase my cardio. On my compounds I am switching to 3x5, keeping accessories to 3x8 and maybe even removing some of them. I am going to repeat push day tomorrow, since I didn't do crap today. I am going to try to make my workouts as simple and effective as possible. Everything must have a purpose. I have been slack on cardio and I think that is what has resulted in weight gain. Tomorrows plan:

Bench 3x5
Dumbbell Press 3x5
Incline Bench 3x8
Tricep Pushdown 3x8

Cardio: 30-45 minutes.

UnknownGuardian
04-24-13, 12:47 pm
Today was a mess. I had zero strength today. I did a few sets of bench then putted around on machines for a bit. Something beats nothing right? Then.. I did my weigh in. I was heartbroken. I am up in weight. So, I am going to slightly lower my volume and increase my cardio. On my compounds I am switching to 3x5, keeping accessories to 3x8 and maybe even removing some of them. I am going to repeat push day tomorrow, since I didn't do crap today. I am going to try to make my workouts as simple and effective as possible. Everything must have a purpose. I have been slack on cardio and I think that is what has resulted in weight gain. Tomorrows plan:

Bench 3x5
Dumbbell Press 3x5
Incline Bench 3x8
Tricep Pushdown 3x8

Cardio: 30-45 minutes.

With the kind of training that you are doing you are going to see an increase in weight gain. And just because you gain weight doesn’t mean its necessarily fat gain.

TheAlphaWolf
04-25-13, 3:32 pm
With the kind of training that you are doing you are going to see an increase in weight gain. And just because you gain weight doesn’t mean its necessarily fat gain.

I suppose this is true. I do appear a bit slimmer than before.

On another note: Over the last week I have been having to reshuffle my workouts due to work. Starting next week that will not be an issue. So finally, I will be able to set and stick to the schedule. Tomorrow will be push day again. In the hope for linera progression I am deloading a bit down to 65% or so of my 1RM, that way I will be able to make linear progression. I think my goals have shuffled since I started. So, I am going to list my 3 month, 6 month, and one year goals... These are pushing it, but if you are going to reach - reach for the stars and leave nothing on the table. I never thought I would want to lift heavy, powerlifting was never my thing but.. You know - once you do it... Your addicted. I really need to dial in my diet and my workout focus.

3 months:
315x5 deadlift (Currently 315x2)
250x5 low bar squat (Currently 225x5 olympic - need to work on shoulder flexibilty as I transistion to low bar)
200x5 bench (Currently 185x5)

Weight: 220lbs(Currently 244lbs)

6 months:
405x1 deadlift
315x1 low bar squat
225x1 bench

Weight: 200lbs

1 year:
405x5 deadlift
315x5 low bar squat
225x5 bench

Weight: To be roughly 12% BF.

Once I hit my 1 year goals, I may cut down to 10% BF or I may start bulking and see how far I can push my strength.

charlievanriper
04-25-13, 3:45 pm
I suppose this is true. I do appear a bit slimmer than before.

On another note: Over the last week I have been having to reshuffle my workouts due to work. Starting next week that will not be an issue. So finally, I will be able to set and stick to the schedule. Tomorrow will be push day again. In the hope for linera progression I am deloading a bit down to 65% or so of my 1RM, that way I will be able to make linear progression. I think my goals have shuffled since I started. So, I am going to list my 3 month, 6 month, and one year goals... These are pushing it, but if you are going to reach - reach for the stars and leave nothing on the table. I never thought I would want to lift heavy, powerlifting was never my thing but.. You know - once you do it... Your addicted. I really need to dial in my diet and my workout focus.

3 months:
315x5 deadlift (Currently 315x2)
250x5 low bar squat (Currently 225x5 olympic - need to work on shoulder flexibilty as I transistion to low bar)
200x5 bench (Currently 185x5)

Weight: 220lbs(Currently 244lbs)

6 months:
405x1 deadlift
315x1 low bar squat
225x1 bench

Weight: 200lbs

1 year:
405x5 deadlift
315x5 low bar squat
225x5 bench

Weight: To be roughly 12% BF.

Once I hit my 1 year goals, I may cut down to 10% BF or I may start bulking and see how far I can push my strength.

nice

TheAlphaWolf
04-26-13, 10:40 am
Missed my workout this morning. That o'le depression came up again. For those of you that don't know, a lot of my weight gain came after the end of a long relationship that pretty much destroyed me emotionally. Its going on two years now since then, but every once in a while something sparks those memories and its back to the funk. Nothing I can do but to truck through it. So, my next few workouts might be crap.

After speaking with a couple of local powerlifters - I think I am going to shift to more of a FBW 3x a week routine. Since I have been lifting seriously for only a short time, I still have noob gains on the table. Lifting with a FBW 3x a week with a PL focus will allow(Ramp up 5x5, 2x5 warm up 3x5 work set) me to get more frequency into my routine. I will be doing an A B A routine, based off of Starting Strength. I will be lowering the weight so that I can focus on linear progression as well as getting my low bar squat form dialed in. The accessories will not have linear progression, rather they are just there to provide some extra work in. This should be enough work for now. Focus on the basics, get my compounds up and soak up all the noob gains I have.

(Work sets listed)

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
3x8 Tricep pulldown

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power cleans
3x8 bicep curls

Dman
04-26-13, 3:57 pm
Missed my workout this morning. That o'le depression came up again. For those of you that don't know, a lot of my weight gain came after the end of a long relationship that pretty much destroyed me emotionally. Its going on two years now since then, but every once in a while something sparks those memories and its back to the funk. Nothing I can do but to truck through it. So, my next few workouts might be crap.

After speaking with a couple of local powerlifters - I think I am going to shift to more of a FBW 3x a week routine. Since I have been lifting seriously for only a short time, I still have noob gains on the table. Lifting with a FBW 3x a week with a PL focus will allow(Ramp up 5x5, 2x5 warm up 3x5 work set) me to get more frequency into my routine. I will be doing an A B A routine, based off of Starting Strength. I will be lowering the weight so that I can focus on linear progression as well as getting my low bar squat form dialed in. The accessories will not have linear progression, rather they are just there to provide some extra work in. This should be enough work for now. Focus on the basics, get my compounds up and soak up all the noob gains I have.

(Work sets listed)

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
3x8 Tricep pulldown

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power cleans
3x8 bicep curls

Sorry to hear about the depression comn back but sometimes the best way to smash it is lift some heavy iron brother!!! Looks like you got a good plan going there with the training I Digg, and basics are always a good thing to go back to!!!

TheAlphaWolf
04-29-13, 10:26 am
Thanks brother. I have found that working out helps a lot when it comes to clearing up the mind.

Today was my first day using the FBW. I think my form on the back squats is coming together. Have to figure out a better form on my deadlift, my belt gets uncomfortable. Why do I wear a belt for all my sets? Because that is how I will lift when I lift heavy and I would rather everything be the same rather than having to take something new into account. I hit my abs directly so, its not like it is going to make my core weak. I think I am going to drop the deadlift to 135 like everything else - and then simply add 10lbs instead of 5lbs each workout. I have a feeling my OHP will be the first thing to plateu, as I have pretty weak shoulders... That or power cleans. We shall see!

3x5 Squat @ 135lbs
3x5 Bench Press @ 135lbs
1x5 Deadlift @ 185lbs
3x10 Tricep pull down @ 30lbs

Took me a lot less time than I am usually in there for. I can tell FBW is going to be intense as the weight moves up. I also worked on pausing at the bottom of the bench, to get a feel for powerlifting.. It makes a big difference. I paused during my warm ups and it made 95lbs feel 135lbs. I did a slow 2 count pause at top and bottom. Killer.

I have also started juicing. Its healthy and to be honest, the best way to get the greens in for me. I do 3x handful of spinach, 1x handful of raspberries, 1x handful of blueberries, a little water, and some Mio (Zero calories flavor).. Didn't taste too bad actually! It gives me greens, good fiber, and the benefits of berries. I use it as my breakfast. Fills me up pretty well and is maybe 150 or so calories? I should weigh it. I think I used maybe a quarter cup of each berry and about a cup of spinach (I have fairly small hands - I fit medium gloves usually) I might add more spinach next time, I mean it is so low in calories. I know people say "Oh theres too much sugar in berries, it will make you fat" - I am pretty sure it will not. It is natural sugar, not this processed crap. They taste good to me, especially since I cut out junk food. And berries have great health benefits.

UnknownGuardian
05-08-13, 12:06 pm
It’s been awfully quiet in here.... Oh look tumbleweed. LOL

TheAlphaWolf
05-08-13, 3:07 pm
It’s been awfully quiet in here.... Oh look tumbleweed. LOL

I'm still rolling brother. Just my posts are slow at the moment due to moving. Most of my free time spent packing up.

TheAlphaWolf
07-01-13, 9:12 pm
Where I have been? Sadly out of the gym. Mostly due to moving and... my recent injury(Not lifting related).... So looks like I am going to be out of the game for a while. Its a shame, I was just finally getting close to tasting my goals. I will come back stronger, but for now I need to get my injuries taken care. I'll be scheduling the surgery for sometime within the next 2-3 weeks. What is the surgery for? A really fucked up left knee... Both meniscus torn(One is slightly torn, the other is fully trashed.. but thankfully, surgeon thinks he will be able to repair both), full ACL tear, PCL and MCL strain Grade I, and a substantial amount of bone bruising. Doctor expects 6 months to a year before I will be back to normal and able to resume my lifting life with any sort of intensity.