PDA

View Full Version : Knee wraps for an IPF-rules raw lifter?

Deathride
04-06-13, 6:45 pm
Dear all

I lift in the GBPF (which runs along the IPF rules) in ye olde Englande....and obviously under 'raw' they only allow knee sleeves. My questions are:

- do knee sleeves actually assist the lift beyond keeping your knees warm?

- would squatting WITH knee wraps for a cycle or as an extra lift assist my squatting WITHOUT knee wraps?

Any experience / thoughts / comments welcome!

BigChrisF
04-07-13, 5:08 am
How much assistance is possible would depend on the type of knee sleeve. The neoprene kind that are allowed in the IPF (last I checked) would provide very little rebound even when worn extremely tight.

I don't know how much benefit to your raw squat putting on knee wraps would really be. If you are already strong in the bottom of the lift, it probably won't make much of a difference. I say you should give them a shot and find out how they feel for you.

Deathride
04-07-13, 9:57 am
Thanks BigChris - my squat has always been my weakest lift although I love performing it and trying to constantly improve it! I suppose I'm looking for ways to overload my squat without compromising form and build leg strength.....obviously I can't compete in wraps but if they can build my strength to be point I can improve my non-wrapped squat, I'd give them a try!

BigChrisF
04-07-13, 3:40 pm
If you want to try an overload technique, you should give reverse band squats a try.

You can always compete with knee wraps, you will just have to compete in the equipped division.

Deathride
04-09-13, 1:24 pm
Thanks for your thoughts, Chris. I've nowhere to rig up a reverse band system - however, I think I'll look into other overload systems.........is squatting with chains a similar feel?

BigChrisF
04-09-13, 10:00 pm
Thanks for your thoughts, Chris. I've nowhere to rig up a reverse band system - however, I think I'll look into other overload systems.........is squatting with chains a similar feel?

Chains definitely has a different feel from bands, but are also a good way to do some overload training. Work with what you have. Try something like 75% of your max on the bar plus about 25% in chain weight for a few sets of 5-7 reps and see how that works for you.

BOSS
04-10-13, 11:07 am
Dear all

I lift in the GBPF (which runs along the IPF rules) in ye olde Englande....and obviously under 'raw' they only allow knee sleeves. My questions are:

- do knee sleeves actually assist the lift beyond keeping your knees warm?

- would squatting WITH knee wraps for a cycle or as an extra lift assist my squatting WITHOUT knee wraps?

Any experience / thoughts / comments welcome!

The one other thing I like about the neoprene that helps you to squat more is it gives you a good feel of your depth so you can be a more consistent squatter, which is as important as anything