PDA

View Full Version : Squatting with bands: band position

KettleBellFreak
04-11-13, 9:55 pm
When I squat with bands, is it more beneficial of a lift to walk forward, away from where bands are attached or to walk back, away from the bands attachment? Or are they both equally helpful?

Squatted for the first time with bands today had a 100 and 60lb band on the inside of the bar and had 305 on the bar for 6 reps, the form was good and it was a crazy pump. Squatting with bands is a whole new animal. I really fucking like it. Might do banded box squats next week!

BigChrisF
04-12-13, 2:37 am
I'm not getting a good visual on what you are asking. When I squat against bands, the bands are anchored directly below the bar when I am standing upright and ready to squat.

KettleBellFreak
04-12-13, 7:34 am
So the bands are anchored at the bottom of the rack, towards the front, I have to rig them with dumbbells because my rack isn't bolted down, so I walk forward a little to gain more tension. Would it be more beneficial to have the resistance pulling from behind me or from in front of me?

Big Wides
04-12-13, 8:29 am
So the bands are anchored at the bottom of the rack, towards the front, I have to rig them with dumbbells because my rack isn't bolted down, so I walk forward a little to gain more tension. Would it be more beneficial to have the resistance pulling from behind me or from in front of me?

I would suggest having no tension either from behind you or in front of you since that can cause you to overcompensate and lean too far forward or backward, which will fuck up your normal squat form.

Like what BigChris said, when you set up the bands, your going to want them in the position where you are attempting the rep so that they are not pulling you in any direction. Is there a way you can take a pic of your set-up for us to view?

KettleBellFreak
04-12-13, 8:46 am
I would suggest having no tension either from behind you or in front of you since that can cause you to overcompensate and lean too far forward or backward, which will fuck up your normal squat form.

Like what BigChris said, when you set up the bands, your going to want them in the position where you are attempting the rep so that they are not pulling you in any direction. Is there a way you can take a pic of your set-up for us to view?

yeah I will once I was home tonight or tomorrow. But couldn't that mean that if you had light resistance pulling from behind you or in front of you, wouldnt that strengthen the muscles that account for proper form if it wasn't too heavy to seriously complicate form?

Aggression
04-12-13, 8:59 am
But couldn't that mean that if you had light resistance pulling from behind you or in front of you, wouldnt that strengthen the muscles that account for proper form if it wasn't too heavy to seriously complicate form?

As BigWides said, no matter what the weight, if you're forcing the body to tweak the form when using bands, it will impact your normal squat form. When using bands, when doing the actual rep, the band should be directly above/below you at all times.

KettleBellFreak
04-12-13, 9:29 am
As BigWides said, no matter what the weight, if you're forcing the body to tweak the form when using bands, it will impact your normal squat form. When using bands, when doing the actual rep, the band should be directly above/below you at all times.

Word, glad I know that now after day one of using them. I wanted to use them for DLs tomorrow. How should band positioning be? still right below the bar? Because I'd have to like double them over to get tension on it as large as they are.

Aggression
04-12-13, 9:37 am
Word, glad I know that now after day one of using them. I wanted to use them for DLs tomorrow. How should band positioning be? still right below the bar? Because I'd have to like double them over to get tension on it as large as they are.

Double it over is fine. Some better equipped gyms have something like this: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/KhalipaBandDeadliftDeck_th.jpg

Otherwise, double over or twisting the band itself will work. Go McGyver on that shit, bro. I've had to ghetto-rig bands and chains plenty of times. In the end, as long as the band is directly over the bar, you're good.

freighttraindane
04-12-13, 9:41 am
you could also do this

http://supertraining.tv/2012/02/stand-on-the-band-deadlifts/

KettleBellFreak
04-12-13, 9:45 am
the foot idea is solid!

Agression: no problem jig-rigging anything, the garage gym warrants plenty of it.

Thanks for the advice my dudes!