PDA

View Full Version : Physical Fitness Tests Prep. and Lifting

secondbornpride
04-15-13, 5:35 pm
I am trying to improve my run time for law enforcement/military physical fitness tests (1.5/2 mile). The problem is that not only do I hate running but I love lifting. Right now I am 31 and in good looking shape, but I am a big guy (muscular) at 225lbs with not very good cardio endurance. My last pft two weeks ago was a 1.5mile and I ran it in 12:15, my run today was a 2mile in 17:34 (both pushing as hard as I could).
I know from my military experience that the only way to get ready for the run portion of the pft is to run. To that end, the last month and a half I have been running two to three times a week mixing up interval and target pace runs. I have not run over three miles, but when I do a three mile run it has periodic walk breaks in it. I have never been a fast runner and my best time out of basic was a 14:20 2mile. For the last four years I have hardly run and focused on my passion: lifting.
Because of my schedule I can't workout on the weekends and there is no way I am giving up lifting. My lifting split has been two weeks of chest day/ back day/ rest/ shoulders day/ arms day; then two weeks of two exercises per those muscle groups same day mon/wed/fri....rinse and repeat. This means I am running into two a days with my runs which I do opposite of the time I work out that day (run in the morn lift at night). I get enough sleep and food for recovery (not my first rodeo), and supplement with multi vit. protein powder and glutamine.
So my question is what advice/tips do you have so that I can improve my run time while still lifting and not losing too much of my hard earned mass? Are there any splits that worked for you? I don't care if I can run a 5k but I want a better 1.5/2mile time or a time no so hard to earn, what have you found to work?

MRmichael.hooker
04-15-13, 7:43 pm
I am trying to improve my run time for law enforcement/military physical fitness tests (1.5/2 mile). The problem is that not only do I hate running but I love lifting. Right now I am 31 and in good looking shape, but I am a big guy (muscular) at 225lbs with not very good cardio endurance. My last pft two weeks ago was a 1.5mile and I ran it in 12:15, my run today was a 2mile in 17:34 (both pushing as hard as I could).
I know from my military experience that the only way to get ready for the run portion of the pft is to run. To that end, the last month and a half I have been running two to three times a week mixing up interval and target pace runs. I have not run over three miles, but when I do a three mile run it has periodic walk breaks in it. I have never been a fast runner and my best time out of basic was a 14:20 2mile. For the last four years I have hardly run and focused on my passion: lifting.
Because of my schedule I can't workout on the weekends and there is no way I am giving up lifting. My lifting split has been two weeks of chest day/ back day/ rest/ shoulders day/ arms day; then two weeks of two exercises per those muscle groups same day mon/wed/fri....rinse and repeat. This means I am running into two a days with my runs which I do opposite of the time I work out that day (run in the morn lift at night). I get enough sleep and food for recovery (not my first rodeo), and supplement with multi vit. protein powder and glutamine.
So my question is what advice/tips do you have so that I can improve my run time while still lifting and not losing too much of my hard earned mass? Are there any splits that worked for you? I don't care if I can run a 5k but I want a better 1.5/2mile time or a time no so hard to earn, what have you found to work?

Sup bro, i'm currently in this exact situation for my Army pt test (2miles) next month. I'm currently doing a similar split as yours, except I am not training legs at all because that'd take away 2 days (leg day and the day after) from a solid run effort, and my military career is more important to me than training legs for a couple weeks. Same as you, im not built as a runner at all, as im a bodybuilder now. What I am doing is very simple, keeping everything the same but instead of my normal cardio, i'm replacing it with 2 mile runs. Once a week i'll do intervals, either 100m or 1/2 mile intervals. Rest of the time is 2 mile runs. I figure it's only for a couple weeks, and im still lifting heavy and eating right. All that muscle didn't just come in 2-3 weeks, so it won't go away that fast either

Aggression
04-16-13, 9:19 am
What's more important to you? Recreational lifting (a hobby)? Or securing a great job, along with a pension and benefits, allowing you to provide for your family and pay the bills?

Not trying to sound like a dick, just trying to give you a shot of reality. I've taken ~5 PT tests over the years for various departments; both state and local. I often thought like you; I don't want to stop lifting but I want to improve my PT scores. Unfortunately, its like asking, 'how can i shed body fat and gain lean muscle at the same time?' question. You need to put focus into one. If you want to improve your running time (and overall endurance) then your leg strength may take a hit. It comes with the territory, unfortunately. My advice? Bust your ass preparing for the PT tests. Last time around, I trained with weights 3 days per week, hitting the main movements (SQ, BP, DL) pretty hard and then focused on body weight movements and then ran a few times a week. The weights will always be there. And they'll be waiting for you. But opportunities to gain employment as an LEO aren't as abundant.

JHOORNSTRA
04-22-13, 1:38 pm
I feel ya, sucks to have to choose and hopefully you won't really have to, you will make it through the academy I'm sure so don't sweat it. If you have the discipline to get where you are so far, you'll get the run there as well. What I suggest and what has worked great for me is windsprints and uphill sprints. It greatly improved my times by increasing my endurance without putting in the miles. Granted everyone is different but at least worth a try and it will decrease muscle losses as well...good luck bro.

JHo

jexta
04-23-13, 4:44 pm
I hate running as well but to sprint, as mentioned above, does wonders for improving time. Maybe some more intense lifting sessions as well, keep the heart rate up and going - at the end of the day it isn't your legs that is hindering the run time. Also if allowed, pace off someone during the run, or even look at it as a competition.. just plain running to run is a mindfuck. Just my thoughts. Goodluck man.

Enforcer
04-23-13, 7:38 pm
What's more important to you? Recreational lifting (a hobby)? Or securing a great job, along with a pension and benefits, allowing you to provide for your family and pay the bills?

Not trying to sound like a dick, just trying to give you a shot of reality. I've taken ~5 PT tests over the years for various departments; both state and local. I often thought like you; I don't want to stop lifting but I want to improve my PT scores. Unfortunately, its like asking, 'how can i shed body fat and gain lean muscle at the same time?' question. You need to put focus into one. If you want to improve your running time (and overall endurance) then your leg strength may take a hit. It comes with the territory, unfortunately. My advice? Bust your ass preparing for the PT tests. Last time around, I trained with weights 3 days per week, hitting the main movements (SQ, BP, DL) pretty hard and then focused on body weight movements and then ran a few times a week. The weights will always be there. And they'll be waiting for you. But opportunities to gain employment as an LEO aren't as abundant.

I couldnt agree more with my boy Aggression. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made to help achieve a greater goal in the end. When I knew I was getting into the academy I had to totally change my training. I had to cut back on the weights and get more into the things necessary for my PT that was coming forth. Trust me bro, it all comes back quickly. I wnet into my academy at around 245 and was as low as 215 at one point. I felt like shit and looked like hell. 135 felt like 315 again when I graduated. But with time and hard work I am back and better than ever. Keep your eye on your main goal bro and do what you have to do to get there

secondbornpride
04-24-13, 2:00 pm
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the good advice. I will for sure work intervals and sprints into my runs. As for having to sacrifice the lifting, I am sorta doing that now. If my schedule makes me miss a day I make it a lifting day over my run day so that I am at least running three times a week. Not sure If I should be running more or not. I appreciate the perspective on how a career is more important than a hobby and that I should asses my priorities so I can secure a career. I however am not worried about failing a PT test as that has yet to happen. Testicular fortitude works wonders. I just want my run to be as easy to max as my sit ups and push ups. I guess other than how to improve my run time my real dilemma is that I need to continue to run as part of my lifestyle. So how do I integrate that into my workout so that I can get my leg day back and it is second nature like lifting. What kind of split would you guys recommend? Should I be tacking it on at the end of my lifting split? Is there a split that you like that incorporates running on off days? I do like to lift five days a week and I would like to find something that works to include running and lifting. Thanks