PDA

View Full Version : Lagging Traps: Suggestions?

Cstlfx
01-15-07, 2:27 am
How's everyone working their traps? I've been doing shrugs and upright rows, but are their any other lifts I could use?

Deeds Not Words

NumeroUno
01-15-07, 2:47 am
Make sure you hit frontal and behind the back shrugs.

G Diesel
01-15-07, 9:36 am
How's everyone working their traps? I've been doing shrugs and upright rows, but are their any other lifts I could use?

Deeds Not Words

Seated dumbbell shrugs, smith machine behind the back shrugs, seated or standing Hammer Strength shrugs for direct stimulation plus heavy rowing and deadlifting for indirect trap growth. Peace, G

Idlethoughts
01-15-07, 10:16 am
Couldn't have said it any better G Diesel....

Foyer
01-15-07, 11:21 am
Load one side of the leg press with plates. Grab the empty side bar and then lean back and shrug. It gives you a compact movement that will blow your traps up.

Riesjs
01-15-07, 11:25 am
Agreed...front and back, could try out close grip shrugs and incline shrugs too

Easy E
01-15-07, 11:26 am
High Pulls hit them pretty good too

Rotlex
01-15-07, 12:40 pm
Deadifts. My traps have been big as long as I can remember without ever working them directly. Deads seem to hit them MORE than enough. As heavy as possible of course!

Bravo
01-15-07, 12:54 pm
"run the rack" start with the heaviest dumbbells you can find and work till failure , then work your way down the rack repeating this process... that will burn those folkers up for ya.

Cstlfx
01-15-07, 1:02 pm
Thanks for the lifts, I'll get on those right away.

TheNaturalG
01-15-07, 1:08 pm
Heavy deadlifts and heavy rack deadlifts are all you need bro. Rack deadlifts are when you set the pins in the power rack around the level of your knee and deadlift from that height. If you do thes 2 exercises heavy you wont be complaining about your traps in a couple months.

Big_Game
01-15-07, 1:17 pm
grab the easy curl bar load it up with weight then use the inner grip this creates a great trap workout

D-Bomb
01-15-07, 2:16 pm
damn shrugs for me are my staple in trap development. use the squat cage or similar to load up the plates and then rep out until your shoulders want to explode.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/97248/profilepic/23029orig.jpg

Big Wides
01-15-07, 2:43 pm
try doing cleans (all forms) push press and snatches to get the traps pumped

fireguy
01-15-07, 3:32 pm
I have to say that I'm impressed already.....everybody helping to make everyone bigger and better animals.......THIS ROCKS

Hellreaver
01-15-07, 3:41 pm
I generally stick to the smith machine for shrugs. I can lean a bit forward or backward to change the pull. I always throw in shrugs at the end of my shoulder workout, and sometimes my lat workouts. Deadlifts hit your traps like a motherfucker, as well as overhead dumbbell presses, to a certain degree. Go fucking heavy to work those traps! Peace out.

YeaILift
01-15-07, 3:45 pm
We have a hammer strength deadlift machine I use at my gym.

D-Bomb
01-15-07, 3:58 pm
I have to say that I'm impressed already.....everybody helping to make everyone bigger and better animals.......THIS ROCKS

good shit we striving to do that at this place we can all call home.

HELLYEAH60
01-15-07, 4:38 pm
hey man heres my trap routine i have had some great success with

Dumbell Shrugs 4x15

Barbell Shrugs 12,10,8,10,12

Behind the Back Shrugs 3x15
(I suggest using a smith machine for starters)

Upright Rows 4x12

That is the basis for my typical trap routine. I like to change up the weight and reps from week to week. Sometimes ill shrug 495 for an 8 rep, and then the following week drop down to 385 for a kicking 20 rep. I suggest utilizing variable weight, changing the order of excercises from week to week, as well as changing the amount of reps. The whole key for me was to change the reps up and continuously try to improve my strength levels.

karmazon
01-15-07, 4:40 pm
"run the rack" start with the heaviest dumbbells you can find and work till failure , then work your way down the rack repeating this process... that will burn those folkers up for ya.

I also believe in burning my traps till failure.

spartan300
01-15-07, 6:43 pm
Try various hand positions to find optimal contractile points(front,side,back) on the db shrug and hand spacing on your uprights I find a little wider grip encourages more trap involvement. Another version I discovered to be quite effective was to set an adjustable bench at a little less than 90 and lean into it, placing the db's just ahead of your torso and placing you in a better position to negate any assistance from your lower body.

king1
01-15-07, 10:01 pm
My traps blew up from 1. deads 2. Clean and Press 3. Heavy upright rows 4. shrugs with straps. I think the cleans and straps added to my routine made the most difference. Focusing on the stretch at the bottom of the shrug is crucial

Nine Ball
01-15-07, 10:24 pm
Power shrugs seemed to help mine out a lot. It's basically a cheating shrug...Bend at the knees until the bar is about at the half way point on your quads. Explode up and simultaneously shrug the weight up and squeeze as hard as you can. Be careful with this one though, the idea is to go heavy but not stupid heavy. Other than that nothin' beats deadlifts.

Edz71
01-16-07, 2:26 am

Deeds Not Words

I live and die with my trap bar for deadlifts and shrugs. Give it a try you'll feel like you just got hit by a bus.

HAWK
01-17-07, 11:22 am
Anyone got a twist on an already proven exercise or a new exercise all together? Traps are startin to lag. I've been doin barbell shrugs, behind the back shrugs, dumbbell shrugs, EZ-bar shrugs, but nothin seems to want to shock the shit out of 'em. What you got for me Animals?

~LV~
01-17-07, 11:33 am
Are you working them indirectly with some rows as well?

Also, what set/rep scheme are you using?

Idlethoughts
01-17-07, 11:37 am
superset them, such as front barbell shrugs with one arm dumbbell shrugs...add more weight to your shrugs (stronger = bigger), hit them indirectly as well (rear delt flyes, rows, etc) do some machine or harness neck flexion/extensions, remember that your neck is part of your traps and this is an exercise which many people neglect but it will give you that thick look not only neck wise but trap-wise as well, pretty soon you'll be looking as if your smuggling oranges underneath your shirt....

Brute Force
01-17-07, 12:20 pm
Anyone got a twist on an already proven exercise or a new exercise all together? Traps are startin to lag. I've been doin barbell shrugs, behind the back shrugs, dumbbell shrugs, EZ-bar shrugs, but nothin seems to want to shock the shit out of 'em. What you got for me Animals?

Gottta work them high intensity. Ronnie uses a hitch at the bottom of the movement. For example, do a full rep, do a half rep, full rep, half rep, etc. Each full and half rep constitutes one full rep. Finish off with partials until you can't do any more. Also, use straps so you can use more weight.

Also, squeeze the traps at the top of your deadlifts. Deadlifts build huge traps.

BigGuy345
01-17-07, 1:24 pm
There is one thing that is correct in the answers to this post, you have to do a lot of vloume to improve your traps. Being a powerlifter I take a different approach to the traps. Heavy barbell shrugs for high reps sets- 25 to 60 reps per set. Another great exercise is snatch grip high pulls. But with high pulls it is more important to perform them well, not really heavy. Because so many have a tendency to dip down to the bar because they go too heavy the whole exercise is wasted. You need to extend your body just like you were doing a clean or snatch and simply shrug the weight without dropping down to the bar.

Thats a lot of info at one time. If you are interested in talking some more let me know. But don't be afraid to change it up. The human body adapts to certain exercises in as little as three days. So don't be afraid to change your exercises, reps, sets, weight, etc. Kelso's Shrug book is also a great resource for trap training.

Edz71
01-17-07, 2:47 pm
Mr. Kelso is the man !

The trap-bar is a golden tool.

ironshaolin
01-17-07, 2:59 pm
try the farmers walk. Alot of old-time strong men used to do them, and they've all but disappeared from the iron game. Grab the heaviest dumbells you can manage, and go for a walk. Not only will your grip get stupid strong, but your traps will be shocked into a new era of growth. Also, try doing shrugs with a thick bar like 2-3 inches instead of your standard 1 1/2 olympic. Straps can be good, but I think its more important to build up a massive grip strength to handle heavy weights without them, and thick bar training will do the trick.

G Diesel
01-17-07, 3:02 pm
I saw Cutler train them like this and it is mad effective. When doing standing DB shrugs, hold a db in both hands but only shrug one side. Do 5 straight reps on one side and then switch and do 5 reps on the other. Go back and forth until failure. Trust me, you will feel this the next day. Peace, G

BigAnt
01-17-07, 5:23 pm
I saw Cutler train them like this and it is mad effective. When doing standing DB shrugs, hold a db in both hands but only shrug one side. Do 5 straight reps on one side and then switch and do 5 reps on the other. Go back and forth until failure. Trust me, you will feel this the next day. Peace, G

I tried the "Cutler" shrugs, saw them in a training DVD and they are a killer!

You want to shock your traps...I got a secret TRAIN HEAVY!

Always do the barbell shrug, you will be the strongest on this exercise compared to dumbbells...lifting heavier weights. Try 4 sets of 6-10 reps. Next do dumbbell shrugs, try keeping the palms of your hands facing in, same grip as a hammer curl. Do 3 sets of 8-12 reps. And also do some heavy close-grip up right rows. I do mine with a curl bar, less strain on my elbows. Do 3 sets of 8-12 reps. I train traps with shoulders. You might want to try shocking them with an extra workout on maybe A leg or arm day. On the "extra" day do seated dumbbell shrugs super-setted with cable upright rows. 4 sets of 10-15 reps will get the job done...

Hope this helps!

MC-Hitman
01-17-07, 5:42 pm
An easy way to shock them is an addition to the barbell shrug
When doing the shrug, leave your arms stiff - but pull your arms back if it is a row
It would leave the traps even more contracted than doing the shrug alone
Then go back to resting position, and repeat till you've had enough
If someone was looking at you from the side, the motion would appear to be circular movement of your shoulder

Joe Pas
01-17-07, 5:58 pm
also try doing shrugs on the lying hammer strength press if you have one at your gym ...do it one individually or at the same time to shock them ...i even saw some new excercises that im going to try in here ...

thatoneguy
01-17-07, 5:58 pm
ok find your way over to a cable station. attach a curl war to it put it on a low setting and do and upright row. but at the top imagine hitting a most muscular pose and kinda roll your shoulder forward and let the weight stretch the traps all the way down...had killer growth with this movement

speedster00
01-17-07, 6:02 pm
Try doing them on a smith machine.....but......turn sideways and do them one at a time. Then do the other side, continuous until failure.

Drillers42
01-17-07, 6:06 pm
I love training traps. What I find to be effective is to change it up every week. I used to train them with shoulders, and I've switched them to back days. Super heavy barbell shrugs are my base. Try to drop your shoulders low on the bottom to get a good stretch, then when pulling up keep your chin tucked in to your chest. Try to crush your ears with the pull, and hold for a 3 count. Upright rowing, barbell and cable, both hit it in different ways. If you can feel it when you're doing it then it's working. If you don't feel it as much any more try another variation. Keep your muscles geussing. It works for me, hope it works for you.

TheNaturalG
01-17-07, 7:28 pm

You rarely hear guys with big deadlifts complain about traps. Just thought I would mention that.

Johnnyblacksails
01-17-07, 8:46 pm
My favorite trick for Traps comes in to play when I am doing dumbell shrugs. I use a moderate weight that I can get about 10 reps in with and at the top of each rep I hold the contraction for about 10 seconds and then go SLOOOOW on the way back down. These are fucking killer, for me at least.

king1
01-17-07, 10:29 pm
Cleans & press, heavy (cheating) upright rows, barbell shrugs focusing on the stretch with super heavy weight, and deadlifts. If you do those exercises theres no way they wont get large.

Shrug
01-17-07, 11:06 pm
Cleans & press, heavy (cheating) upright rows, barbell shrugs focusing on the stretch with super heavy weight, and deadlifts. If you do those exercises theres no way they wont get large.

I agree with King. For me, cleans and heavy shrugs did it. Heavy upright rows & deadlifts worked my middle traps (the part snaking the way down your back towards the erector spinae).

KEEPtheZEN
01-17-07, 11:12 pm
Hise breathing shrugs are good. Set the bar as if you are gonna squat and bring your shoulders to your ears. Go heavy. C&j, deads, rack pulls and hold it for 15 sec.

IRONADDICT45
01-24-07, 1:45 pm
obviously any type of shrug, high pull, row, etc will hit the traps in some way but ill tell ya wat'll make a man out of you quick.....i do this on back day after chins, deads and rows...ill do my one set of all out shrugs and after i cant shrug em any more ill do the farmers walk with them til i think im gonna drop em....insane stretch in the traps/biceps/foreams....and most importantly itll make you mentally stronger

Maccabee
01-24-07, 5:46 pm
Go heavy on deadlifts, and most of all do barbell and dumbbell shrugs.

Giant Killer
01-24-07, 5:51 pm
I like loadin' up the EZ bar with some poundage and shruggin' it--makes for a real firm and comfy grip as opposed to a straight bar
this also helps me with rear shrugs as I got a huge ass and it works a little better than the straight to get around that obstacle since its got a little bend where the ass plants...

Shadow
01-24-07, 5:56 pm
G Diesal hit the nail on the head!! Seated dumbell shrugs really kick ass!! Do you front and back barbell shrugs and maybe thro in upright rows for a killer superset. Keep 'em heavy and squeeze.

pdiesel
01-25-07, 12:00 am
try them on the smith machine, the pump feels great..

shutthefuckup
01-25-07, 12:13 am
Yo i love smith machine behind the back shrugs.
That KILLS

MassManiac
01-25-07, 1:02 am
When makin' the transition from delts to traps I usually try to end on bent-over rear flys. For some reason that really hits my traps hard (and destroys my rear delts of course). After that I'll hit up some shrugs. The key to shrugs for me is a slow controlled movement. I'll make sure the traps are bringin' the weight up, I'll hold and squeeze at the top for about 2 secs, then I'll go real slow on the negative until I reach a full stretch. Too many times I see kids in the gym bouncin' the weights recklessly. Not only is it dangerous but I feel as if they're just pissin' in the wind. The hold and the stretch are what just really annihilate my traps. If traps fall on a back day, you can bet your ass I do some heavy deadlifts to finish em off...

wolfpack_scooba
01-25-07, 9:29 am
not sure if this was mentiond yet but:

on thing i love doing it; get on a hack squat machine or a calf raise machine(where the pads are on your shoulders), load it up with weight and just start pressing your shoulders up(like a shrug movement)
i like this cause you can go really slow and methodical or you can just pound some serious wieght out

king1
01-27-07, 7:56 pm
Everyexercise has been mentioned so far. But what about different techniques. Like supersetting shrugs and upright rows. Or doing super heavy shrugs for 5 reps, waiting 10 seconds and doing another 5 and so on until you cant move the bar.

Aengus
01-27-07, 8:10 pm
Like said here, hit the terrible three: deads, shrugs, and the farmers walk. When your grip gives out..add straps.

you'll feel like someone just beat you with a bat.

cuts280
01-28-07, 5:53 am
Exercises like High pulls and snatch sound good and are practically great but they involve a lot of technique and majority of the population don't know how to perform them correct technically. Heavy deads are your best bet when it comes to thick meaty traps....period.

sailorjerry
03-01-07, 7:47 pm
Whats up guys i have a quick question about training traps.... i train traps with shoulders i usually do upright rows, barbell and dumbell shrugs each for 3 sets at 10-15 reps.... my traps seem to be lagging in comparison to my back and shoulders tho.... do you guys have any suggestions on different exercises, rep ranges, or possibly training them multiple times a week?

Dan
03-01-07, 8:04 pm
Ive started training traps 2 times a week with a lower rep range but heavier wieght and is making difference, mite wanna give it a try

SDR
03-01-07, 8:09 pm
I want to really prioritise my traps training, which I usually do on back day.

currently doing around 6 sets (nearly all to failure) with barbell shrugs to the front..did try them to the back but couldnt get a good contraction. DB shrugs are also a must.

What I do with the DB shrugs is hold at the top for a count of 2, these really gets the area pumped. I say this cuz a lot of people just motion up and down with no pause at the top.

hit your heavy deadlifts too which hits your traps indirectly.

NickSP
03-01-07, 8:34 pm
There's at least one other thread on lagging traps, please try the search function..

sailorjerry
03-01-07, 8:50 pm
I searched traps and all i could find was lagging lower traps, my lower traps are actually developing better than my upper traps are... i was looking for some advice on rep ranges (possibly drop-sets or super-sets) or any other ideas that can make my traps and neck bigger

NickSP
03-01-07, 9:17 pm
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=965&highlight=traps

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=3039&highlight=traps

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=408&highlight=traps

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=625&highlight=traps

Mr.Totality
03-01-07, 9:44 pm
there are a lot of traps options. just keep searching

sailorjerry
03-02-07, 1:25 am
thanks for helping me find what i needed

NickSP
03-02-07, 11:15 am
No prob, sometimes even after people realize they could use the search function, they don't realize there's a more specific search option, underneath it says "Maybe something more specific?". Great tool, you can use it to choose posts from only a specific section or subsection, arrange the results by relevancy, find ones from a specific date range, etc. One way or another we should work on trying to make everyone more aware of this.

Sir
03-02-07, 1:45 pm
keep ur routine, only need to do em once a week. Just KILL the barbell shruggs. Push urself to throw another couple of 45 on there and just do it.

Chief
04-24-07, 5:05 pm
Ok I was wondering if I were to add like 4 or 5 sets of dumbell shrugs to every workout i do wil help spark some real growth or will it be overtraining ? Eny suggestions would be great

brandonA
04-24-07, 5:30 pm
From a previous descussion, most said that heavier was better..go as heavy as you can while still being able to hold the weight at the top for about a second..I usally pound them to fail on each set...try searching and see what you dig up...

-B

Chin
04-24-07, 6:58 pm
Ok I was wondering if I were to add like 4 or 5 sets of dumbell shrugs to every workout i do wil help spark some real growth or will it be overtraining ? Eny suggestions would be great

I wouldn't do them every work out... I would do heavy 3 - 4 sets on shoulder and back days. I would switch it up between barbell and dumbell, the heavier the better.

Chin

Kiwi129
04-24-07, 7:45 pm
I was doing barbell shrugs on my back day... usually about 3-4 sets. When I started doing dumbbell shrugs on shoulder day as well it blew them up. I've never seen growth there before besides my initial noob burst quite a few months ago. I prefer and would suggest dumbbells over barbell any day man. Good luck.

Primal
04-24-07, 10:03 pm
i would do barbell shrugs on back day, and dumbell shrugs, close grip upright rows, and rev peck deck on shoulder days, thats the way i train traps, also, if you do heavy deadlifts and bent rows, they kill your traps, but doing shrugs after each workout is overkill, ud have no recovery time, you grow when u rest bro

YeaILift
04-24-07, 11:57 pm
You know I have a weird routine here is what I do.

day 1- chest back (Heavy trap sets)
day 2-legs
day 3-arms/shoulders (Heavy trap sets)

Yea its weird but different thing for different people right? I always go heavy and always go to faliure.

MassManiac
04-25-07, 12:00 am
You should never work the same muscle group two consecutive days in a row. Working out breaks the muscle down, it's rest and recuperation that makes them grow. If you want, maybe hit them twice a week, spacing the workouts with ~2 days between. Make sure your form is in check too. Contract the muscle slowly on the way up and squeeze/hold at the top. Make sure the traps are moving the weight. Hope this helps bro.

afshin
06-21-07, 10:04 pm
I just started working on traps (isolating them) I have been doing only compound traps work outs so far but want to start doing shrugs etc should I go light on the first two weeks or what?

Spikes079
06-21-07, 10:05 pm
Start with a working load you can rep anywhere from 8-12 and work in that range heavy or not bust out thoose numbers in reps and you'll see some growth soon.

afshin
06-21-07, 10:06 pm
So start with stuff I can rep around 12 and after I got some mass their start going a heavier?

Spikes079
06-21-07, 10:13 pm
try cycles, go 12,10,10 for 6 weeks, then go 8,8,6 for 6 weeks, your last set you should have a weight where you almost push it for that last rep or fail a rep or two short of that last 10th or 6th rep. It's not neciserly light or heavy, you keep decent form while mataining a good working to failing weight

afshin
06-21-07, 10:14 pm
thanks a lot bro

Spikes079
06-21-07, 10:16 pm
no problem if need any insight on anything else just let me know

TufffGuY
06-21-07, 10:18 pm
I go 4-6 reps, BB Shrugs and Upright Rows(close grip), I take those to failure.

BigAnt
06-21-07, 10:21 pm
I just started working on traps (isolating them) I have been doing only compound traps work outs so far but want to start doing shrugs etc should I go light on the first two weeks or what?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You must train with very good form and use a full range of motion...
Barbell shrugs, 4x6-8 reps
Dumbbell shrugs 3x10-15 reps
Close grip upright rows 3x8-12 reps

I like training my traps with shoulders, some people train traps with back, it is an individual thing...

Train hard, heavy, warm up good, eat healthy and stay positive!

Ant

Hollow
06-22-07, 7:38 am
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You must train with very good form and use a full range of motion...
Barbell shrugs, 4x6-8 reps
Dumbbell shrugs 3x10-15 reps
Close grip upright rows 3x8-12 reps

I like training my traps with shoulders, some people train traps with back, it is an individual thing...

Train hard, heavy, warm up good, eat healthy and stay positive!

Ant

In regards to the upright rows BigAnt, do you still do them when your shoulder injury is bothering you? Some people knock them as they fear it is a potential injury waiting to happen. I found if you've warmed up enough and keep strict form there is no problem with this exercise.

LHS Monster
06-22-07, 9:59 am
i personally use a two second hold at the top of each rep and it seems to work for me and i also do a long ass set every couple of weeks starting at 20 reps then 18,16,14..etc using higher weights as i go down in reps and i also try to hold the last rep in each set for as long as i can at the end of the set it seems to help alot as i think my traps are one of my best features

IRBS
06-22-07, 10:02 am
I have blown my traps up with the following program:

BB Shrugs Supersetted With DB Shrugs:
BB: 225x25
DB: 100x20

for 3 sets and then rep it out with 225. When I was using this rep scheme I saw some great results. Like Ant said, you gotta have solid form, dont sacrifice the disks in your neck for a little more weight...

TufffGuY
06-22-07, 10:16 am
2 part Hang Clean, do a full shrug, then hang clean the bar, thats 1 rep.

pdiesel
06-22-07, 1:37 pm
You rarely hear guys with big deadlifts complain about traps. Just thought I would mention that.

HAHAHAHAHHAAHA!

live2lift
06-22-07, 1:50 pm

I completely agree with naturalg here...deadlifts and rack pulls. Those along with the shrugs you are already doing and you should be golden. Peace.

garett09
03-15-08, 6:13 pm
im having some trouble hitting the part of the traps that is right behind your neck. ive gotten the front part and back but the area directly behind the neck is lagging it.

any suggestions on how to train this part?

thanks

stumblin54
03-15-08, 6:17 pm
Are you peforming heavy deads and and upright rows on delt day? I haven't trained traps in quite some time but they have developed just fine from everything else I already do.

Stumblin

Lowdown5
03-15-08, 6:17 pm
Big Al, who has some freaky huge traps said that all he does for them is barbell shrugs. His traps are so big that people would walk by him and do a double take on the traps. Alot of back work hits the traps as well.

sanga
03-15-08, 6:20 pm
I like Tinys shrug after every set of deadlifts advice, my traps are growing and are sore for days after.

garett09
03-15-08, 6:20 pm
Are you peforming heavy deads and and upright rows on delt day? I haven't trained traps in quite some time but they have developed just fine from everything else I already do.

Stumblin

ya ive been workin back and delts and lats on the same day. from the front they look alright but just when you look from the side you can see that directly behind the neck they look puny

Polish Prince
03-15-08, 6:22 pm
try behind the backs barbell shrugs (same as a regular barbell shrug just put the bar behind you)

garett09
03-15-08, 6:28 pm
alright thanks alot brothers. really appreciate it

Matt Dickerson
03-15-08, 8:07 pm
What helped me is I put the straps on and started doing sets of shrugs that I would normally do for 10 reps and I forced myself to do 20 reps. The higher reps and more time under the tension seemed to help. Also do heavy barbell rows.

musclealchemist
03-15-08, 9:30 pm
make sure when you do your shrugs that you keep your arms by your side and just go straight up and down when you are doing them. Dont roll your shoulders. Also hold your traps up for 5 counts each time you do a rep. It has helped me.

garett09
03-16-08, 12:06 am
i don't roll my shoulders, but is there a disadvantage to it?

BryanSmash!
03-16-08, 12:33 am
Doing heavy rack pulls works well to build traps in my opinion.

Serrated Path
03-16-08, 11:13 am
Heavy ass shruggs brother and squeeze.

WeeMan
03-16-08, 12:22 pm
make sure u lift your shoulders instead of lowering your neck. my ex training partner did that and his traps are crap, even tho he maintains that they are awsome!

Iron4Life
03-16-08, 12:44 pm
strict db shrugs...heavy as you can go for 15 reps....try keeping your chin tucked down against your throat/chest.....its seems uncomfortable but it really allows for the needed stretch... just what works for me...its worth a try

Sugarbutt
03-16-08, 12:46 pm
Facepulls...

krazyassmexican
03-16-08, 12:47 pm
Deadlift!

WeeMan
03-16-08, 12:49 pm
strict db shrugs...heavy as you can go for 15 reps....try keeping your chin tucked down against your throat/chest.....its seems uncomfortable but it really allows for the needed stretch... just what works for me...its worth a try

thats a bad idea in my opinion, that will restrict your breathing severly!

pmug0000
03-16-08, 12:49 pm
Anyone here do seated DB shrugs? I can't go nearly as heavy as on normal shrugs, but doing them seated gives makes my traps cramp up like a motherfucker.

Iron4Life
03-16-08, 1:13 pm
well if u know how to breath correctly when you lift you dont have an issue. ive been doing it this way for over 10 years, never had any breathing difficulties nor neck injuries

bigdipper
03-16-08, 1:26 pm
im having some trouble hitting the part of the traps that is right behind your neck. ive gotten the front part and back but the area directly behind the neck is lagging it.

any suggestions on how to train this part?

thanks

Try sitting on an incline bench, grab a pair of dumbbells with your arms perpendicular to the floor and shrug. I think it hits the top part pretty good.
Another thing I like I call "row 21's". The first 7 reps are an old school bent-over row, with the body paralell to the floor. The next 7, without any rest, are a 45 degree bent over row, ala Dorian. The final 7 are standing straight up shrugs.

Rocky

LHS Monster
03-16-08, 1:36 pm
i don't roll my shoulders, but is there a disadvantage to it?

yea ur rotators will DIE

h 3 L L b 0 y
03-16-08, 1:42 pm
woo shit i might have been rolling them a little.. not anymore!

RogueLion
03-16-08, 2:24 pm
look directly up at the ceiling when shrugging

bigrhino
03-16-08, 4:06 pm
Anyone here do seated DB shrugs? I can't go nearly as heavy as on normal shrugs, but doing them seated gives makes my traps cramp up like a motherfucker.

I do those. Like them a lot, the lower weight is from the lack of momentum you have at your disposal while standing.
I do whatever, seated, smith, barbell, whatever, as long as I have that connection with my muscle, I can work it really well.

bigrhino
03-16-08, 4:06 pm

That seems like it would put a lot of stress on your neck.

pmug0000
03-16-08, 8:26 pm

I've never heard that one before. It's always been recommended to have your chin down when shrugging.

need2getBIG
03-16-08, 8:31 pm
if looking up works do it,if looking down works do it,whatever works for ya

bharatoza
03-17-08, 9:32 am
Overhead shrugs!!

Hold a BB overhead and shrug.

newbreed
03-17-08, 10:39 am
Front or back shrugs using the smith machine or barbell (I'll do a heavy set of these than at failure, right away I grab 2 dumbbells about 60 lbs then shrug until I can't do anymore)

Hammer shrug machine (hold at the top for about 3 seconds then lower slowly)

Heavy deadlifts

Dumbbell shrugs to the side (on some days, I'll do a tri set putting them to the front palms facing me do 10 the bring them to the sides and do 10 then bring them behind me palms facing away and do 10)

I rotate these workouts around and sometimes I'll add the rest pause method to training traps. My traps definately improved form all of these. Then I'll stretch them by sitting straight on a bench and grabbing heavy dumbbells and letting them pull my arms down as far as they can go and hold for about 15-30 seconds.

BigTimCoats
04-16-08, 10:28 pm
Hey guys i was wondering what everyone normally does for a trap workout... i usually do barbell shrugs with dumbell shrugs suppersetted but i was wondering if there was one workout in particular that you like the most to stimulate growth in the trapezius???

prowrestler
04-16-08, 10:31 pm
yes, its called the hang clean. great uppr back builder.

my traps are genetic masterpieces so i dot gotta worry about them!!

NickSP
04-16-08, 10:57 pm
Heavy...fuckin...deads.

Survivor831
04-16-08, 11:12 pm
Seated DB Shrugs work nice when combined with deads. You can't cheat, and if you lean forward just a bit, it hits the traps at an angle that the standing barbell shrug doesn't.

Zacharicus
04-16-08, 11:34 pm
I do deads on my backday, but do shrugs on shoulder day. Heavy ass DB shrugs on front, on side and barbell behind.

If your face doesn't look like a freak when doing shrugs, you're not liftin' heavy enough..

MonTanaMusCle
04-16-08, 11:36 pm
For me its close grip T-Bar rows and really pinch my shoulder blades together

Infinite Fury
04-16-08, 11:44 pm
When I go Hiking/Walking I carry a 20-30lb backpack on my shoulders for about an hour a day. This has really increased the mass of my traps so much that I don't have to do any shrugs at all or trap work. If your looking for a particular excercise than the power clean is a must. Also when I perform db side laterals I squeeze my traps when my arms are out which has given me a great peak.

SpecialBlend
04-17-08, 12:16 am
try this, if you have a seated cable fly/rear delt machine. approach the machine backwards (reardelt position) but of instead of sitting, rest ur upper chest against the padding and stick out ur ass like you are dead lifting keeping a straight back concentrating more of the trapezius. if you do your traps directly on shoulder day this will be a killer substitute and why not kill two birds with one stone. try thrown in some supersets and or drop setts and u wont regret it. enjoy.

ghost
04-17-08, 12:16 am
Heavy...fuckin...deads.

God damn right brother.

come train traps with me... you wont be able to fucking move for a few days.

TunnelVision338
04-17-08, 12:46 am
I've found that high rep dumbell shrugs superset with seated DB power cleans have been doing the trick. I do 4 sets of 20 on the shrugs and 4 sets of 10 on the DB cleans.

Cstlfx
04-17-08, 1:35 am
I change it up all the time. Deads, rack pulls, hang cleans, power cleans, upright rows, barbell shrugs, dumbbell shrugs, and incline shrugs.

bigla2004
04-17-08, 1:40 am
Heavy deads and rack pulls for sure.. supplement that with some heavy DB shrugs and you should have some mountains

BryanSmash!
04-17-08, 2:57 am
Fill up a wheelbarrow with rocks, junk, or friends. Pick up the handles. Go to the end of your driveway. Turn around and repeat. Continue until you cant take anymore. Your traps will thank you.

Gehlbach!
04-17-08, 5:58 am
BB reverse shrugs. Adds some hella thickness!

sanga
04-17-08, 7:36 am
I shrug at the end of every set of Deadlifts, its hard work but works well, another Tiny tip :)

Riesjs
04-17-08, 9:57 am
Front BB shrugs, lowpull machine (not a seated row), independant DB shrugs

Brutus_515
04-17-08, 10:04 am
I joined a new gym it has a HS seated and standing shrug machine...I love it....also when DB and BB's get boring I will shurg the standing calf machine, one arm cable shrugs or a type of upright row (keepin the elbows in to keep your delt out of it)

TunnelVision338
04-17-08, 12:02 pm
If you have a Safety Squat Bar, you can shrug that also. Keep your hands at your sides and squeeze at the top for 2-3 seconds each rep. I like hitting these for higher reps

theharjmann
04-17-08, 1:09 pm
Fill up a wheelbarrow with rocks, junk, or friends. Pick up the handles. Go to the end of your driveway. Turn around and repeat. Continue until you cant take anymore. Your traps will thank you.

that's fun for everyone! i'm gonna do that! stick my little nephews in the wheelbarrow, rub some chalk on my hands and so for a stroll!

BigAnt
04-17-08, 4:22 pm
Seated dumbbell shrugs, smith machine behind the back shrugs, seated or standing Hammer Strength shrugs for direct stimulation plus heavy rowing and deadlifting for indirect trap growth. Peace, G

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no....not the old school--Lee Haney Behind the back shrugs...

Damn--a great exercise but some what forgotten ! ! !

Thanks for the reminder G!

BrotherInArms
04-17-08, 6:30 pm
I also believe in burning my traps till failure.

Agreed. I like to run a few heavy sets, then polish them off with lighter ones before tucking my traps into bed for the night, lol.

theharjmann
04-18-08, 4:18 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did the Lee Haney Behind the Backs a couple of days ago. I shrugged up, and held the squeeze for every rep once the bar was level with my low lats then released. Did sets of around 15 sets. Am i wrong in noticing that this exercise hit my rear delts more than directly hitting my traps like dumbell shrugs or bar brushing quads shrugs??

IRONJT
04-22-08, 8:40 pm
You should try doing exercises that you may not think work your traps such as heavy deadlifts or lateral raises past your shoulder

you could also try reverse-shrugs, barbell shrugs with different grips--just experiment

NickSP
04-22-08, 9:35 pm

Behind the back...forgotten? or did he do them specifically on the smith? cause hell I've always done my shrugs behind the back...I love em

daznanor
06-08-10, 1:37 pm
hello all bros
generally what is the best for the muscle mass workout it one time in the week or tiwce<<

because i have a bad traps ????????