PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting Speed Work

rbowman91
04-25-13, 8:48 pm
Can anyone with solid powerlifting experience explain speed work to me?

Currently I'm on a training style (bodybuilding/powerlifting hybrid) that has one day for a heavy power movement (i.e. squat or deadlift) and then after 2 days rest it has me doing "speed work" for the movement.

Is this just lowering the weight and repping faster? I tried it that way but didnt feel intense or difficult at all. But if I go too heavy I can't move it fast enough to be considered "speed work".

I know this may sound like a dumb question to my powerlifting cousins on here, but I am a bodybuilder venturing into your turf and I wanna do this shit the right/safe way.

Thanks fellasw

Big Wides
04-26-13, 8:29 am
Can anyone with solid powerlifting experience explain speed work to me?

Currently I'm on a training style (bodybuilding/powerlifting hybrid) that has one day for a heavy power movement (i.e. squat or deadlift) and then after 2 days rest it has me doing "speed work" for the movement.

Is this just lowering the weight and repping faster? I tried it that way but didnt feel intense or difficult at all. But if I go too heavy I can't move it fast enough to be considered "speed work".

I know this may sound like a dumb question to my powerlifting cousins on here, but I am a bodybuilder venturing into your turf and I wanna do this shit the right/safe way.

Thanks fellasw

The purpose of speed work is to activate the fast twitch muscles that are used when your moving the weight. It is not meant to be a difficult movement at all and helps in muscle recovery (my opinion) by getting increased blood flow to an area. The typical speed work ranges from 50%-65% of your 1RM and is done for multiple sets/low reps. If you wanted to, you would also wave your % used for each week (Wk1- 50%, Wk2 - 60%, Wk3 - 65%, Wk4 - 67.5%) For example, a bench speed day might look like this:

55% 1RM for 9sets of 3; each set of three would be a different grip (wide, normal, close)

Could you please post up your program so we can take a look at it? I am wondering if they gave you percentages to use on the speed day.

BamBam
04-26-13, 8:52 am
The purpose of speed work is to activate the fast twitch muscles that are used when your moving the weight. It is not meant to be a difficult movement at all and helps in muscle recovery (my opinion) by getting increased blood flow to an area. The typical speed work ranges from 50%-65% of your 1RM and is done for multiple sets/low reps. If you wanted to, you would also wave your % used for each week (Wk1- 50%, Wk2 - 60%, Wk3 - 65%, Wk4 - 67.5%) For example, a bench speed day might look like this:

55% 1RM for 9sets of 3; each set of three would be a different grip (wide, normal, close)

Could you please post up your program so we can take a look at it? I am wondering if they gave you percentages to use on the speed day.

*THIS*

Also, are you doing a week of squats, then the next deads? If so, once again, after seeing your programming, may be able to do some speed work as an accessory movement too on your heavy day. I know a lot of guys who do this and it helps them tremendously... simply because in powerlifting (much as in anything I guess) that one movement will most ALWAYS compliment another.

I agree with Mr.Wides... would help to see your set up and what your numbers are so maybe we can help with the %'s... also on speed days, once you become comfortable with it, you may try adding bands and chains... but again that may be down the road after you get things hammered out.

Anythign else ya need let us know

rbowman91
04-26-13, 11:49 am

Thanks fellas!

The percentages for my program are the same as what you posted. 55-65% of my 1RM. I guess i was just ocnfused because when I did the speed sets (6 sets of 3, speed squats, with only 30 second rests bewteen them), it didn't feel difficult at all.

Also, i feel like if I speed squat its almost like im dropping down and bouncing up when I go real deep. Should I pause near the bottom and then shoot up fast? Or is it just one fluid motion?

Big Wides
04-26-13, 12:32 pm
Thanks fellas!

The percentages for my program are the same as what you posted. 55-65% of my 1RM. I guess i was just ocnfused because when I did the speed sets (6 sets of 3, speed squats, with only 30 second rests bewteen them), it didn't feel difficult at all.

Also, i feel like if I speed squat its almost like im dropping down and bouncing up when I go real deep. Should I pause near the bottom and then shoot up fast? Or is it just one fluid motion?

With a speed squat you should be performing a box squat motion and explode off the box from the static position.

rbowman91
04-26-13, 2:49 pm
With a speed squat you should be performing a box squat motion and explode off the box from the static position.

Oh wow so i'm using a box. had no idea. awesome, thanks brother

JHOORNSTRA
04-26-13, 5:20 pm
Yep, agreed, on squats use a box or almost imagine one there if there isn't one available. Also, on bench, I try to get 3 reps in less than 2 seconds, rack to rack, however, don't crack your sternum, it's controlled throughout the entire movement.

JHo

rbowman91
04-30-13, 10:09 am
Yep, agreed, on squats use a box or almost imagine one there if there isn't one available. Also, on bench, I try to get 3 reps in less than 2 seconds, rack to rack, however, don't crack your sternum, it's controlled throughout the entire movement.

JHo

Awesome thanks.really appreciate this input. What about deadlift speed work? Just DL with lighter weight and do it fast?

JHOORNSTRA
05-02-13, 3:04 pm
Awesome thanks.really appreciate this input. What about deadlift speed work? Just DL with lighter weight and do it fast?

Yeah, can do that, like touch and go deads, do them with bands lighter, etc. Someone what limited there but that's the basic idea...

rbowman91
05-06-13, 1:09 pm
Yeah, can do that, like touch and go deads, do them with bands lighter, etc. Someone what limited there but that's the basic idea...

Awesome thank you bro

JHOORNSTRA
05-07-13, 12:31 am
Awesome thank you bro

No problem

under the bar
06-20-13, 7:54 am
Thanks fellas!

We have always done Speed Squats as doubles, not triples. 8 sets of 2

As stated before, use a box, I prefer to use a lower box on speed days, this has helped with explosion out of the hole.

FWAW
07-22-13, 4:03 pm
I am also new to Powerlifting, and this thread has proved invaluable. Thank you

JHOORNSTRA
07-22-13, 4:52 pm
I am also new to Powerlifting, and this thread has proved invaluable. Thank you

What we're here for...

FWAW
07-23-13, 6:08 am
In that case i'm going to have to bust a Columbo and ask one more question. Currently, i alternate my Max effort and speed work weekly. Lifting heavy (for me) on Squat and fast for Deathlifts one week, and vice versa the following week. I always squat first, but would it be a good idea to DL first on weeks were they are max effort? I currently base everything on the Gospel according to Andy Bolton, but i realize what works well for one chap may not work well for another.

JHOORNSTRA
07-23-13, 7:12 am
In that case i'm going to have to bust a Columbo and ask one more question. Currently, i alternate my Max effort and speed work weekly. Lifting heavy (for me) on Squat and fast for Deathlifts one week, and vice versa the following week. I always squat first, but would it be a good idea to DL first on weeks were they are max effort? I currently base everything on the Gospel according to Andy Bolton, but i realize what works well for one chap may not work well for another.

Man, honestly it could really go either way. I know a lot of people who do heavy deads and squats the same day, some do deads first, etc. If you're just doing speed work on legs, I wouldn't think that you'd be so shot you couldn't get a good deadlift in. When you start rotating your cycle, that's when you end up having legs or back closer to one another than originally planned. I currently have a speed chest day and a ME chest day, legs and back are pretty much the same a single time. That's basically a lot of writing to say...not sure, give it a shot if you want but if it's working for you now, you should be good.

Goldstone
07-23-13, 10:21 am
Just to add to what the others are saying:

Make sure you're really training to be EXPLOSIVE, not just moving the bar as fast as you can with sloppy form. If your back is coming off the bench, you're not being explosive. That's shitty form. If you're squatting and the bar is coming off your back? Shitty form. The speed work should mimic your form on a max attempt, but the idea is to move the sub-max weight with as much force as the max attempts.

Example: if you have a 315 max bench, and you're using 155 and chains or bands for speed work, apply the same amount of force to the 155lb bar as you would a 315 press.

Speed work should reinforce perfect technique as it's light and you're getting a lot of reps in. No point in doing it if your technique is bad.

FWAW
07-24-13, 3:53 pm
Thanks guys. If it ain't broke why fix it? But maybe tune it up a touch!

JHOORNSTRA
07-24-13, 7:45 pm
Just to add to what the others are saying:

Make sure you're really training to be EXPLOSIVE, not just moving the bar as fast as you can with sloppy form. If your back is coming off the bench, you're not being explosive. That's shitty form. If you're squatting and the bar is coming off your back? Shitty form. The speed work should mimic your form on a max attempt, but the idea is to move the sub-max weight with as much force as the max attempts.

Example: if you have a 315 max bench, and you're using 155 and chains or bands for speed work, apply the same amount of force to the 155lb bar as you would a 315 press.

Speed work should reinforce perfect technique as it's light and you're getting a lot of reps in. No point in doing it if your technique is bad.

Agree