PDA

View Full Version : Busting Plateaus

Average Joe
04-29-13, 12:43 pm
Hey everyone so here is a little bit about my past. I've been a competitive swimmer for the past 6 years and always been a skinny guy. Endurance and cardio wise nothing needs to be changed however sophomore year I was sick of being a scrawny little guy. I started lifting doing a basic 3 day split and went from 135-150lbs. This was fine but after a while I still wasn't satisfied so I went from 150 to 160lbs. Now at the end of my senior year I was 165, right now I'm currently trying to bulk to around 185lbs and I currently sit at 170lbs. Now, even though high school swimming is over I was recruited to swim in college and will be swimming throughout college. However the thing is July first I have a 6 week boot camp for West Point and do not want to be a tiny little endurance athlete who can't lift shit. I am currently stuck at 170lbs and have been for a few weeks so I was hoping I could get some criticism of my routine/diet.
Sun- supersets
Bench/BO row
Inc DB bench/ RG Pulldowns
Decline Bench/ One arm rows
Push-up/ pull-up to failure for 5 rounds

Monday-swim/run

Tues-arm supersets/ swim
Close grip bench/BB curl
Tri pulldowns/ db curl
Pinwheel curl/overhead tri
Dips/ preachers till I can only get 2 reps

Wed- run
Back squat/leg curl
Rear elevated single leg split squat/ deadlift

Thurs-swim/run

Friday- run/ overhead movements
Clean/ shoulder press
Pulldowns/ lat raises
Wood chops with TRX cable machine
Sat- rest

As far as nutrition goes I don't have a routine meal plan but I'm getting 4-6 meals a day. The macros look approximately like 300g protein, 400-500g carb, 150g of fat. Approx 4,000-4,700 cals a day.

Any advice on what's causing the stall would be great.

jexta
05-03-13, 7:45 am
More food man. Seems you have a solid routine down and if you were gaining and now it is coming to a halt its time to up the amount of food intake. Probably squeeze in another 500 calories a day and see if it gets the numbers on the scale changing again and if not, up it some more. I would also say less running and focus on swimming, thats enough cardio in itself eh? Just my thoughts tho, no one else answered but theres something to try. Goodluck man.

jexta
05-03-13, 8:06 am
Also during your workouts/swims take some intra BCAA's possibly. Hold off the catabolic state. I'm not a swimmer so I don't know if that will mess with anything lol, an idea tho!

Average Joe
05-04-13, 5:20 pm
Thanks for the advice, I upped it a few days ago and am also lowering the swims to focus more on running in order to get the legs ready for running. You think a bcaa/carb mix will help hold off the catabolism or just bcaa?

jexta
05-08-13, 4:26 pm
Thanks for the advice, I upped it a few days ago and am also lowering the swims to focus more on running in order to get the legs ready for running. You think a bcaa/carb mix will help hold off the catabolism or just bcaa?

try the carb mix, if it doesn't mess with your stomach while you're trying to run it will be optimal. Goodluck man! Let us know if it helped get some gains going again, I am ganna have to start running in a few months unfortunately so this might be something I will be looking to do as well.

Average Joe
05-12-13, 10:46 pm
try the carb mix, if it doesn't mess with your stomach while you're trying to run it will be optimal. Goodluck man! Let us know if it helped get some gains going again, I am ganna have to start running in a few months unfortunately so this might be something I will be looking to do as well.

Alright it's been a few weeks and I'm starting to see good progress again, I ended not doing the bcaa/carb mix. It just didn't sit well in my stomach during exercise, and left me not hungry at all after a workout. So I just added 300 cals to the diet and it's working good. I'm doing it in the form of like 1/2 a weight gain shake serving in the middle of the night. Are you gonna be running for training of some sort or just cardio for a cut?