PDA

View Full Version : 14 Questions With Eric Lilliebridge

Animal
05-02-13, 4:22 pm
Exclusive FORVM content only for registered members. These are extra questions and answers not included in the feature Lilliebridge interview found on Animalpak.com, "Interview With A Powerlifter, Or Three" (http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=643). To ask Eric your own question about training or anything else, click here (http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?40785-NEW-Lifting-With-E-s-The-Lilliebridge-Family-Answers-Your-Questions).

Animal: Do you see your brother and Dad as competitors at all? It’s an interesting dynamic to have everyone in your family compete in powerlifting.
Eric Lilliebridge (EL): I see them as competitors but also as supporters. Long before I started, my dad was a competitor. But he always supported us in what my brother and I wanted to do. Ernie, my brother, and I did our first meet together. Ernie supports me and I support him. At this point, we’re all different weight classes so we don’t compete head to head. I compete as a junior (20-23) and also in the Open at 275.

Animal: Do you prefer one lift over another?
EL: My whole approach is to be a complete powerlifter in all the lifts: bench, squat, and deadlift. I don’t want to train one harder than another. But of course, one lift comes a little more naturally to me – the squat. My deadlift isn’t too far away either though.

Animal: What about your mother? I don’t hear anything about her—is she important to your powerlifting?
EL: She’s been there supporting us since my brother and I started competing. We grew up watching my dad. Then when we started, my mom came out to watch us compete. Everyone in our family supports us. She doesn’t powerlift, but she does lift.

Animal: How did powerlifting help you as a kid?
EL: For the first 9 years of my life, we lived in Chicago. It wasn’t a nice area, but I never hung out with the wrong crowd. When we eventually moved out to the suburbs, things were a lot different. People were nicer. In high school, I picked friends who were into lifting like me. Instead of partying on Friday, we went to the gym and trained.

Animal: Growing up, was your dad strict?
EL: My dad isn’t really strict. He let me do what I wanted to do. While he gave me guidance and taught me what was right, he also trusted me and let me grow up. When it came to powerlifting, my dad never once pushed my brother or me. We pushed him to train us. I was 11 when I started watching my dad train in the gym. I was too young to understand the dedication that it took to compete at that level. As soon as I turned 13, I told myself I was old enough to start. I started training on my own in the basement, doing basic bodybuilding exercises. Only a month after this, I asked my dad to train me. He was supportive, as was my brother (he started lifting a year before me). I never got in the way of what he did and when he was free, he’d help me and my brother out. Once were taught the proper form from my dad, we went out on our own, but still under my dad’s supervision.

Animal: As a father at 18, how did that change your life?
EL: Having more things on my plate to deal with doesn’t make things easier. As a father though, you always want to be there for your child and give her everything. My parents were so supportive and they helped me out a lot during the tough times. If it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t be where I am today. What’s important to me? I want to be a great powerlifter. But I also want to be a great role model and father for my daughter. At about 5, she can’t understand what I’m doing. She can definitely see that I’m bigger than most people though. Like my dad did for me, I want to support her in whatever she chooses to do. If she wanted to follow in my footsteps and compete in powerlifting, I would help her out – but I wouldn’t push her.

Animal: Is family important?
EL: Definitely very important. My fat her definitely helped me out the most with my training and helped me get to where I am today. But all my family is important to me, equally. Having the support of your family is really important if you want to succeed at the highest level in any sport.

Animal: What is the earliest memory you have of your Dad?
EL: Well, it wasn’t as a powerlifter. He didn’t get into powerlifting until a little later in my life. He was just dad to me. Because Ernie and I were so close growing up, we spent a lot of time with our dad. He helped us do whatever we wanted – bike riding, swimming, etc.

Animal: What is the single most important thing he taught you about life and lifting?
EL: To give everyone respect, from a competitor to a fan. Treat people like you want them to treat you. Don’t’ be a jerk – be humble and respectful. And always make time for your family. Powerlifting is jus a hobby. You can’t make it your entire life. In lifting, always follow good form. People who use bad form miss their lifts.

Animal: When you started powerlifting, you said you were “small and skinny”. What was the single most important thing that helped you get big and strong?
EL: Two things. First, sticking to a proper training program. Staying consistent is the key factor. Second, staying up to par with your nutrition. People ask me all the time, “How do I get bigger?” I always give the same answer. Stay consistent with your training and nutrition. That’s all it is.

Animal: What is the basis of the Lilliebridge training system?
EL: It’s pyramid based and you up the percentages on a weekly bassis until you peak properly for a competition. Over the years, we changed things here and there. It can be used from a 6-8 week cycle.

Animal: When was the first time you lifted more than your dad in any lift in competition and what was that feeling like?
EL: I remember that. I was 19. I entered a meet that I really didn’t train for – just a few weeks. It just came up out of nowhere and I did it for fun. Anyway, I ended up out-deadlifting, out-squatting and out-totaling him. I really didn’t expect to hit those numbers. My dad was there coaching me, helping me pick the numbers. It was a really good feeling. Growing up, I always wanted to be big and strong as my dad. His strength was out of this world. But I went through a growth spurt between 18-19 and my numbers shot through the roof. It was definitely a cool feeling. He was more than happy; he was ecstatic. My lifts, well, that pushed him too.

Animal: I heard you were currently furthering your education?
EL: Education is important. I’m finishing up a two-year Associates Degree in exercise science. I’ll be done this summer. Exercise science is something I’m really interested in. A lot of what I’ve learned in the classroom, I’ve applied in the gym.

Animal: How do you prepare for a meet?
EL: I usually need 8 weeks to train. The week before the meet, I just rest – no training at all. I talked to some powerlifters who train light up to the meet. But over the years, I’ve learned that it’s not necessary for me. You don’t want to risk any injury or experience any soreness.

J-Dawg
05-02-13, 4:37 pm
Awesome interview guys! It's great to see Eric's perspective on things in life and in powerlifting.

G Diesel
05-02-13, 4:39 pm
To give everyone respect, from a competitor to a fan. Treat people like you want them to treat you. Don’t’ be a jerk – be humble and respectful. And always make time for your family.

Awesome words to live by. Very well said.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
05-02-13, 4:49 pm
Awesome interview guys! It's great to see Eric's perspective on things in life and in powerlifting.

Awesome words to live by. Very well said.

Peace, G

Just seems like a great kid with his head on straight and a great family too, these Lilliebridges. How often do ya hear of parents living their own dreams thru their kids today? Parents who yell at the ref at a kids game cuz it aint really about their kids? Parents who push their kids too hard to validate sumthin about their own lives? To hear this about Ernie Sr. is great...

Animal
05-02-13, 4:56 pm
Definitely good people, these Lilliebridges. Great fit with what we do and how we do things here at Animal.

Universal Rep
05-02-13, 5:42 pm
Definitely good people, these Lilliebridges. Great fit with what we do and how we do things here at Animal.

x2

Eric Lilliebridge
05-03-13, 1:51 pm
Just seems like a great kid with his head on straight and a great family too, these Lilliebridges. How often do ya hear of parents living their own dreams thru their kids today? Parents who yell at the ref at a kids game cuz it aint really about their kids? Parents who push their kids too hard to validate sumthin about their own lives? To hear this about Ernie Sr. is great...

Thank you for the kind words! I can't express enough how great it's been growing up in the family I have with all the support we give one another. It definitely keeps us all going and pushing eachother in the right direction.

Universal Rep
05-03-13, 2:05 pm
Thank you for the kind words! I can't express enough how great it's been growing up in the family I have with all the support we give one another. It definitely keeps us all going and pushing eachother in the right direction.

Trust me, ur lucky. Really lucky esp. considerin ya grew up in a tough neighborhood. The environment gets the best of so many kids with great potential...

Animal
05-03-13, 2:14 pm

There is a reason we brought the Lilliebridges on.

Ernie Lilliebridge JR
05-16-13, 5:19 pm
I enjoyed reading this! Great questions with great replies. Everyone on this form has been so supportive it’s great to be part of the Animal family!

brentwillisbgw
07-22-13, 1:58 am
Awesome interview, Eric!

GUNZ
08-21-13, 5:13 pm
Good stuff Eric! We have alot of the same values. I'm glad I got to hang out and get to know you in Australia.

Jay Nera
10-18-13, 1:12 am
I think you and your family have something really special. I wonder how many powerlifters such as myself cannot wait to share a platform with our son(s) or daughter(s) someday. Thats really cool...even cooler that your dad is not slowing down and can lift with you guys. He must be really proud of you and your bro...both as lifters and men. Solid interview.

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
10-23-13, 12:27 am
I think you and your family have something really special. I wonder how many powerlifters such as myself cannot wait to share a platform with our son(s) or daughter(s) someday. Thats really cool...even cooler that your dad is not slowing down and can lift with you guys. He must be really proud of you and your bro...both as lifters and men. Solid interview.

Extremely proud, more then words can express! I am dealing with a few injuries right now, but once healed I'll be gunnin' to take out Eric again, LOL!