PDA

View Full Version : Training Around Injuries......Do or Don't?

The Mississippi Monster
12-18-12, 11:50 am
Most powerlifters I know when they get an injury tend to continue training until the injury becomes so bad they just can't train or they really injure themselves. Others tend to avoid training altogether.....what do you do?

WHen I was younger, I would push until I really got injured....but over the years I've learned to train around the injury.

Tauscheck
12-19-12, 3:56 pm
I train around the injury, if I have to miss a day or not do certin lifts to make it better I will. To me theres no sence in doing a half ass work out or lift when your hurting...and probaly making it worse.
The guy I workout with sumtimes will train through the pain. Which I think drags out the injury longer

RaisingTheBar
12-19-12, 8:08 pm
First thing I do when I get an injury is get my chiropractor's opinion (who also works in sports medicine). I made the mistake early on in my HS football days of not seeing an expert regarding a back injury, and suffered years of meaningless pain. That said...

If I feel an injury coming on, depending on how long it's been without one, I'll take a deload week. Most of the time, this not only gives my injury time to heal, but it rejuvenates my entire body, and I come back a week later foaming at the mouth ready to kill it. I won't take more than that deload week though. During this week, and subsequent weeks, I'll workout around it, incorporating lifts, stretches, foam rolling, etc. that specifically strengthen the area.

Training injured is like taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. It's all about reaching long term goals.

KettleBellFreak
12-19-12, 8:20 pm
Never disregard yoga man. If I hurt myself or feel hurt I should say, I do 1-2 hour yoga sessions with bodyweight exercises thrown in that don't center around the pain, I do these for a whole week all 7 days. You'll actually feel a whole whole lot better than you did before in your muscles that weren't hurt. I do yoga before I train for shorter periods but still. It's a great recovery tool. There are athlete's yoga sessions on youtube and I think some bodybuilder specific ones. I do my own so I have no experience with those. But yoga does it for me.

Oh and Animal PM is AWESOME for recovery weeks. Just take it an hour and a half before you normally go to bed, and you'll sleep an extra hour and gets some nice aminos and gh shit.

BOSS
12-20-12, 12:03 am
bottom line is if you think training through it is going to be productive and not make it worse sometimes it's justified... other times you just have to suck it up and rest