PDA

View Full Version : Training Methods....Which one do you use?

The Mississippi Monster
12-14-12, 9:34 am
Throughout my entire 30 year powerlifting career, I used the old school pyramid training system with great results. I would usually start a training cycle with sets of 10 and as I progressed towards my meet, I would increase the sets but decrease the reps as I increased the weight. By meet time I would be doing sets of 3 and 2 for my top sets.

What your hearing most everyone doing in todays world is some sort of Westside Training Methods........

In the last few weeks, a new one has popped up called the CUBE Method.........

As a bodybuilder, I've always used the Instinctive Style of Training, but still utilizing the 3 main compound movements in my training.

deanna7272
12-14-12, 10:10 am
Throughout my entire 30 year powerlifting career, I used the old school pyramid training system with great results. I would usually start a training cycle with sets of 10 and as I progressed towards my meet, I would increase the sets but decrease the reps as I increased the weight. By meet time I would be doing sets of 3 and 2 for my top sets.

What your hearing most everyone doing in todays world is some sort of Westside Training Methods........

In the last few weeks, a new one has popped up called the CUBE Method.........

As a bodybuilder, I've always used the Instinctive Style of Training, but still utilizing the 3 main compound movements in my training.

I am in no way anyone to emulate in all of this, but this is where I have been for years... I have always trained as a bodybuilder, trying to improve certain body parts, etc. I always seem to find myself training with high volume, I start where I KNOW I can do 12/15 reps. Then as I go up in weights, I go down in reps and end up with possibly 6 or 7 sets (lowest reps would be 3)

Two weeks ago, when got back from the Jersey ABC, I was refueled to change my outlook, my physique as a whole, my increase my strength... I do not want to give up my style of training as far as shaping, but I want to incorporate more PLing movements to build strength and power. (My area is primarily focused on bb'ing, and the PL'ers, tried and true, few and far between...).

I trained with Henri Skiba the day after the ABC and he took me through somewhat of a Westside Mini Camp, showing me certain exercises to reach my goals. He checked my dl and squat form, (having two back surgeries, I was told that I shouldn't even be doing a leg press, so I just started dabbling in squatting and dl'ing on my own, not wanting to reinsure myself, I always kept it light and more reps because I wasn't even sure I was doing it right...lol) He gave me a program to follow and I came back to Ohio with new goals!!!

I have started a program, incorporating it with my normal shaping stuff, but focusing on deads, bench, and squats... I am doing a 6 wk cycle starting with 10x10, 8x8, 6x6 (and so on) principle. I am not sure how my body will react, but with what I have laid in front of me, IT HAS TO CHANGE...lol. I believe that every BODY is different and everyone has to find what works best... I guess I will update in 7 weeks and we shall see...

Not sure ya wanted all that info, but I gave it to ya anyway...lol

deanna7272
12-14-12, 10:18 am
I am in no way anyone to emulate in all of this, but this is where I have been for years... I have always trained as a bodybuilder, trying to improve certain body parts, etc. I always seem to find myself training with high volume, I start where I KNOW I can do 12/15 reps. Then as I go up in weights, I go down in reps and end up with possibly 6 or 7 sets (lowest reps would be 3)

Two weeks ago, when got back from the Jersey ABC, I was refueled to change my outlook, my physique as a whole, my increase my strength... I do not want to give up my style of training as far as shaping, but I want to incorporate more PLing movements to build strength and power. (My area is primarily focused on bb'ing, and the PL'ers, tried and true, few and far between...).

I trained with Henri Skiba the day after the ABC and he took me through somewhat of a Westside Mini Camp, showing me certain exercises to reach my goals. He checked my dl and squat form, (having two back surgeries, I was told that I shouldn't even be doing a leg press, so I just started dabbling in squatting and dl'ing on my own, not wanting to reinsure myself, I always kept it light and more reps because I wasn't even sure I was doing it right...lol) He gave me a program to follow and I came back to Ohio with new goals!!!

I have started a program, incorporating it with my normal shaping stuff, but focusing on deads, bench, and squats... I am doing a 6 wk cycle starting with 10x10, 8x8, 6x6 (and so on) principle. I am not sure how my body will react, but with what I have laid in front of me, IT HAS TO CHANGE...lol. I believe that every BODY is different and everyone has to find what works best... I guess I will update in 7 weeks and we shall see...

BTW, I'm a 40 year old woman, been lifting since high school, with some "oh but honey, you don't need the gym, you look fine, you can do it on your own at home" bullshit I listened to from boys with low self esteem that couldn't handle me going to the gym...lol. Oh, to be young and dumb...lol. I'm over that and here to stay... I live by the , "I do because I can, and I can because I do" principle now!!!!

The Mississippi Monster
12-14-12, 10:22 am

This is cool Brother....just what I wanted to hear.........everyone uses something and it derived from something...thanks for the imput!

deanna7272
12-14-12, 10:25 am
This is cool Brother....just what I wanted to hear.........everyone uses something and it derived from something...thanks for the imput!

Sister... ;-)

The Mississippi Monster
12-14-12, 10:38 am
Sister... ;-)

Sorry should have paid more attention to the name.........even more cool, thanks!

The Mississippi Monster
12-14-12, 11:15 am
Sorry should have paid more attention to the name.........even more cool, thanks!

After 2 back surgeries, I'm glad to see your still open minded about training........most people take a doctors word as gold when it comes to movements like these and never even attempts light weight again.
I have found with clients and myself included that if you stay with these movements and do them correctly, you will strengthen these area's sometimes moreso than before....

With the style of training that your adopting, not only will you gain strength, you will gain size also......Good stuff!

MikeNice
12-14-12, 1:23 pm
I was running a Two Minute Muscle program. You do your exercise for two minutes and count the reps. You start off with a weight you can do for 12-15 reps. When you hit failure pause for 2-10 seconds and hit it again. The point is to shoot for 30 - 40 reps in two minutes. If you're in the 35 - 40 rep range, increase the weight. With some movements you only go for one minute with the goal being 20 reps.

Two weeks of this and I boosted my squat one rep max by ten pounds. It can be grueling though, and if you choose the wrong weight it is easy to get injured.

The Mississippi Monster
12-14-12, 1:44 pm
I was running a Two Minute Muscle program. You do your exercise for two minutes and count the reps. You start off with a weight you can do for 12-15 reps. When you hit failure pause for 2-10 seconds and hit it again. The point is to shoot for 30 - 40 reps in two minutes. If you're in the 35 - 40 rep range, increase the weight. With some movements you only go for one minute with the goal being 20 reps.

Two weeks of this and I boosted my squat one rep max by ten pounds. It can be grueling though, and if you choose the wrong weight it is easy to get injured.

Sounds good except I wanna caution you in doing 1 rep max all the time, this is could produce injury or staleness...I would suggest every 2 to 3 months for a 1 rep max....

J Wong
12-14-12, 2:46 pm

When getting ready for a meet, I tend to do something very similar, but I start with sets of 5 instead of 10s and work my way down. I also try and do a secondary movement on each bench, squat, and deadlift day that will hit my weak areas of the lift.

When I am not getting ready for a meet I like to cut back a little and give everything a break and just do high reps...more of a "bodybuilding routine".

The Mississippi Monster
12-14-12, 3:13 pm
When getting ready for a meet, I tend to do something very similar, but I start with sets of 5 instead of 10s and work my way down. I also try and do a secondary movement on each bench, squat, and deadlift day that will hit my weak areas of the lift.

When I am not getting ready for a meet I like to cut back a little and give everything a break and just do high reps...more of a "bodybuilding routine".

Yeah I like doing high reps in the off season also, but my high reps are way over the typical high reps of most lifters....my sets consist of 50 to 100 reps

GUNS
12-14-12, 3:46 pm
Yeah I like doing high reps in the off season also, but my high reps are way over the typical high reps of most lifters....my sets consist of 50 to 100 reps

Love these, on leg day, 50 - 100 rep Squats and leg presses = growth!

deanna7272
12-14-12, 5:07 pm
After 2 back surgeries, I'm glad to see your still open minded about training........most people take a doctors word as gold when it comes to movements like these and never even attempts light weight again.
I have found with clients and myself included that if you stay with these movements and do them correctly, you will strengthen these area's sometimes moreso than before....

With the style of training that your adopting, not only will you gain strength, you will gain size also......Good stuff!

Yea, believe me, I babied my back for as long as I can remember... Coming back at ZERO weight was humbling, but it was necessary... I had gained a bunch of weight, just became unhealthy... It was in my heart to get back to me. I sent to a couple shows, started training to compete in figure, dropped 60 pounds and got onstage... I haven't quit since, and I won't until I can't...

Henri really opened my eyes to what I CAN do... He brought my attention to my belt that I relied on as my safety net. It wasn't very effective, BUT covered my lower back, so I felt protected. Showed me how to properly use a reg lifting belt, and that just because it touched my back didn't mean it was helping me. I have now discontinued with MY old belt and moved on to a REAL belt..lol.

My goal is to strengthen my back so that I don't have to worry so much.. I train smart and I am getting back to pushing and pulling the weight that feel I should be...

Vrotsos991
12-14-12, 5:39 pm
Began lifting one year ago. I could bench 185 once, squat 185, dead 225, and shoulder 90 at 150 lbs .I followed "houses routine" from nov-may. I started liking the idea of lifting heavy weights. I switched over to bill starrs 5x5 and stayed on this program, until august. I took a small break from the 5x5 and went back to houses routine until October and I'm now on the 531. I am now squatting 410x5, benching295x5, and dead lifting 415x5.

Going to get more serious about strength and stay on a strength program, here on out. Sticking with the 531 until someone shows me a new way to train for strength.

Btw I'm 21 and had a bone graph on my knee back when I was 17. Atrophy allowed me to see ,my tib and fib. Began cycling to get my leg back to "normal". Began lifting when I was 20.
Lifted before the bone graph but never lifted serous. Lost everything after that surgery.

GUNS
12-14-12, 5:52 pm
Yea, believe me, I babied my back for as long as I can remember... Coming back at ZERO weight was humbling, but it was necessary... I had gained a bunch of weight, just became unhealthy... It was in my heart to get back to me. I sent to a couple shows, started training to compete in figure, dropped 60 pounds and got onstage... I haven't quit since, and I won't until I can't...

Henri really opened my eyes to what I CAN do... He brought my attention to my belt that I relied on as my safety net. It wasn't very effective, BUT covered my lower back, so I felt protected. Showed me how to properly use a reg lifting belt, and that just because it touched my back didn't mean it was helping me. I have now discontinued with MY old belt and moved on to a REAL belt..lol.

My goal is to strengthen my back so that I don't have to worry so much.. I train smart and I am getting back to pushing and pulling the weight that feel I should be...

I took a lazy 3 years off after my back surgery! Deployed to Afghanistan and got back in the gym! I figured if Im going to hurt, Im going to hurt on my terms! We all get there, some of us just get up and go kill it anyway. That was 06-09, and I have not looked back!

GUNS
12-14-12, 5:57 pm
Began lifting one year ago. I could bench 185 once, squat 185, dead 225, and shoulder 90 at 150 lbs .I followed "houses routine" from nov-may. I started liking the idea of lifting heavy weights. I switched over to bill starrs 5x5 and stayed on this program, until august. I took a small break from the 5x5 and went back to houses routine until October and I'm now on the 531. I am now squatting 410x5, benching295x5, and dead lifting 415x5.

Going to get more serious about strength and stay on a strength program, here on out. Sticking with the 531 until someone shows me a new way to train for strength.

Btw I'm 21 and had a bone graph on my knee back when I was 17. Atrophy allowed me to see ,my tib and fib. Began cycling to get my leg back to "normal". Began lifting when I was 20.
Lifted before the bone graph but never lifted serous. Lost everything after that surgery.

Great comeback! 5x5, and 5/3/1 sre both pretty great!

Vrotsos991
12-14-12, 7:35 pm
Great comeback! 5x5, and 5/3/1 sre both pretty great!

Thanks man, much appreciated!

MikeNice
12-14-12, 8:41 pm
Sounds good except I wanna caution you in doing 1 rep max all the time, this is could produce injury or staleness...I would suggest every 2 to 3 months for a 1 rep max....

Cool, I thought once a month was cool. If I need to wait longer, I can.

I hit 340lbs (195lb body weight) on the "power squat" and my boy said, "talk to me when you hit 400." So, I was seeing how close I was. I want to bust 400 apart.

(Bar squats have been a no no because of a range of motion issue. It is a result of an injury earlier this year. I think I created the same injury again last week.)