PDA

View Full Version : Knee Wraps

iamthemacattack
05-08-13, 9:46 am
Arf'noon bros,

A quick query about leg training and wrapping your knees.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are? I haven't really bothered previously. Howver my knees are starting to feel the pain and creak a bit now which is a bit worrying since I am only 25.

Is this something to worry about?

Cheers Bros

Ian

mritter3
05-08-13, 10:34 am
Well I'm not 25 anymore but I really only wrap knees for anything 315 and over fir squats...I played catcher in baseball and ran long distance running in cross country and track so my knees pop constantly...I'm at the point of being safe than sorry, I think it's whatever you feel good physically and mentally that will work for ya, I can tell ya I feel better with them on but they do take a bit of getting used to...

iamthemacattack
05-10-13, 3:40 am
Cheers bro, I think prevention is better than cure, so perhaps start wearing them. Or at least give them a go and see how I feel with them on.

ACarter92
05-10-13, 9:23 am
If not knee wraps I'd pick up some knee sleeves man. I use the tommy kono's and they keep my knees really warm and give just enough support. Also, if you don't already, use a lacrosse ball to roll out your quads and IT bands; makes a world of difference for my knees.

G-Six
05-17-13, 12:43 pm
Injury prevention is/should be every athletes concern. No matter what age. If youre not careful and you blow out a ligament or a tendon, youre going to wish like hell you used wraps. Because you are not going to be doing any training for a long time after that surgery and that sucks. Be careful and take preventative measures when it comes to major joints such as the knees/shoulders etc

Mizzarler
05-17-13, 10:34 pm
your knees shouldn't bother you if you squat correctly and go alllll the way down,stopping at parallel or above puts tremendous strain on them, I don't see how knee wraps would help with knee pain??

Eric Lilliebridge
05-18-13, 12:32 am
Definitely do yourself a favor now and get a pair of knee wraps. What I don't understand is how people don't see how knee wraps help with knee pain. It's actually quite simple. It puts and creates pressure on the front and sides of your knees depending on how you wrap your knee, and with that pressure being on your knees, it gives you something to push against and will help out your knee pain a lot. Will also help you build up more confidence in the hole and help you learn how to pick up more speed at the very bottom of the lift.

Ernie Lilliebridge JR
05-18-13, 1:09 am
Also would like to add..... Knee wraps also help prevent any major knee injuries even the minor ones too! My dad use to squat with no knee wraps for many of years, he’s now paying for it in his later years with multiple knee surgeries and the only thing he wishes back then is that he did use knee wraps much sooner!

Take his advice use wraps!

iamthemacattack
05-20-13, 7:55 am
Definitely do yourself a favor now and get a pair of knee wraps. What I don't understand is how people don't see how knee wraps help with knee pain. It's actually quite simple. It puts and creates pressure on the front and sides of your knees depending on how you wrap your knee, and with that pressure being on your knees, it gives you something to push against and will help out your knee pain a lot. Will also help you build up more confidence in the hole and help you learn how to pick up more speed at the very bottom of the lift.

Also would like to add..... Knee wraps also help prevent any major knee injuries even the minor ones too! My dad use to squat with no knee wraps for many of years, he’s now paying for it in his later years with multiple knee surgeries and the only thing he wishes back then is that he did use knee wraps much sooner!

Take his advice use wraps!

Thanks guys... I'm definitely not going to argue with you two! Once I have a set do you have any particular way of wrapping them up? Or just wrap around like a bandage?
Also, would you wear them for the whole workout, or just for the heavier sets of each exercise? And do you leave them on or take them off between sets?

Cheers,

Ian

Ernie Lilliebridge JR
05-20-13, 6:43 pm
Thanks guys... I'm definitely not going to argue with you two! Once I have a set do you have any particular way of wrapping them up? Or just wrap around like a bandage?
Also, would you wear them for the whole workout, or just for the heavier sets of each exercise? And do you leave them on or take them off between sets?

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, we warm up without any knee wraps up until 500lbs then we will put on a light wrap and as the weight goes up from there we keep wrapping tighter and tighter. You can put the wraps on whenever you want, I would suggest putting them on for just about all of your sets so you can learn them and feel them out. Also after every set you take off the wraps and wrap them back up so you can use them for the next set.

Here's a video of my brother showing how to wrap.

/watch?v=KCDiaYrFyyg[/QUOTE]

chromedome106
05-20-13, 8:12 pm
wrappin my knees help with the pain and popping i had in mine def. would wrap up. i use a sub x with a bowtie wrapping style. dont know pros and cons of that style but works for me

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
05-22-13, 12:38 am
Seriously, do yourself a favor and wear them! We have tried all of them, and they all do something different. Start off with a softer, more forgiving wrap that's comfotable. You can crank them on tighter as the weights increase. When you become more experianced with that wrap, you can move up to a stronger one. I went almost 20 years 100% RAW, no belt, no wraps.............and I'm paying for it dearly! Not trying to preach, just giving you my honest opinion to the problem your having. We train without belt / wraps up to a certain point ( WEIGHT ) and then put them on, It's what keeps us in the game, saftley. They can be quite effective when worn / used properly, for both saftey and increase in weight lifted. Powerlifting is not only physcial, it's AT LEAST the same mental. If you have any doubts in your mind about a injuried body part, or risk of getting injuried you will FAIL! Your form / technique will be off, speed, balance, etc, etc. The wraps and belt give you that peice of mind to know you can push it 100%! Give them a try my friend, you'll be thanking yourself for years to come. :)

iamthemacattack
05-22-13, 5:37 am
Seriously, do yourself a favor and wear them! We have tried all of them, and they all do something different. Start off with a softer, more forgiving wrap that's comfotable. You can crank them on tighter as the weights increase. When you become more experianced with that wrap, you can move up to a stronger one. I went almost 20 years 100% RAW, no belt, no wraps.............and I'm paying for it dearly! Not trying to preach, just giving you my honest opinion to the problem your having. We train without belt / wraps up to a certain point ( WEIGHT ) and then put them on, It's what keeps us in the game, saftley. They can be quite effective when worn / used properly, for both saftey and increase in weight lifted. Powerlifting is not only physcial, it's AT LEAST the same mental. If you have any doubts in your mind about a injuried body part, or risk of getting injuried you will FAIL! Your form / technique will be off, speed, balance, etc, etc. The wraps and belt give you that peice of mind to know you can push it 100%! Give them a try my friend, you'll be thanking yourself for years to come. :)

I certainly will be giving them a try, mainly looking at an injury prevention standpoint - I'm not really a powerlifter and am more into bodybuilding, but the weights are still quite heavy (for me) because I like to push myself hard. I guess wraps just give you that extra bit of confidence, much like a good spotter. I will let you know how I get on! Hopefully with a new PR!

chromedome106
05-22-13, 7:57 pm
good luck! go bang out that PR

Sphinx
05-22-13, 10:13 pm
I've been pondering the same thing: whether or not to use knee wraps AND/OR a belt for squats and deadlifts. I currently use nothing, asides from chalk for deadlifts. My knees have taken a pounding over the years from the military and lots of heavy labour jobs. I snap, crackle and pop a helluva lot too, and when I do do heavier weights, they're usually followed by a few days of pain in the knees.

I want to say thanks to everyone here for their input, especially the Lilliebridge fellas, its definitely something I will now actually try and hopefully reach new pain-free goals with :)

chromedome106
05-22-13, 10:31 pm
[/QUOTE]
I want to say thanks to everyone here for their input, especially the Lilliebridge fellas, its definitely something I will now actually try and hopefully reach new pain-free goals with :) [/QUOTE]

get some animal flex too it helped me out alot

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
05-23-13, 1:52 am
Animal Flex packs? I SWEAR by them! They Work!! No B/S, no plaecbo, they work! Took about a week to load and could start to feel it working, really! It's been 3 weeks now, and i love em! Got two of the older guys (my age, lol ) on the team to try it and there hooked! Definitely a " MUST HAVE '' !!

chromedome106
05-23-13, 7:53 pm
^^^^ i dont know how i went with out em lol

J Wong
05-26-13, 7:19 pm
Thanks for posting that vid Eric. I am doing that backyard meet in the Fall and I plan on competing with wraps and I never use them and really had no idea how to wrap my knees. I think that's going to help a lot!

skibasgym
05-27-13, 1:54 am
Sure my knees ache in nasty weather.any athlete does.
My article this month covers hyalaoronic acid shots saved my knees and I feel better than when i was 25
Henri

skibasgym
05-27-13, 1:59 am
to box
tru squat machine 3 sets 10 warmup deep
135/3
225/1
315/1405/1
405/1 no belt
520/1 belt
520/5 could have done 10
rh
4 sets 440/10

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
05-28-13, 1:55 am
Hey Skibasgym, thanks for the good news about the hyalaoronic acid shots. Do you know where I could get more info about this? My knees are all ears!