PDA

View Full Version : New USPA Elite & International Elite Powerlifting Classifications

GUNZ
05-09-13, 2:23 pm
Finally some legit charts for Elite and International Elite!! USPA came out with this the other day, this was a quote from Steve Dension on how they came up with the numbers.

Steve Denison The original classification standards going back to the late 80's or early 90's that I got from Don Haley, who recently passed away at 90+, were Single ply based standards from old single ply gear. Back then there was no raw, classic raw, or Multiply. Just one category so the standards were based on that type of gear in those days. The original classification was also put together based on the average totals for each wt class from say the 1985 to 1990 IPF Worlds. From those totals they derived the elite, master, class 1,2,3, and 4. Then from those base totals we developed our own standards based on percentages for Raw, Classic Raw, and Multiply. Everything is based on the original single ply standards from those days. Those standards were never adjusted for the new generation single ply gear. That's the basic synopsis for the Classification standards we have today. The USPA is the only federation that has put this together in more detail for each category. Now if you look at the Classification standards from the APF they will be somewhat higher because of the gear and that's where our MP classification standards may be more in line with the original APF standards.

Here is like to chart: raw, classic raw(knee wraps) single, multi ply

http://uspla.org/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/USPA-Standards-in-pounds-Men.xls

freighttraindane
05-09-13, 2:33 pm
Thanks for posting this!!

tomysaw
05-09-13, 5:00 pm
May I ask the exact significance behind getting an elite total.

GUNZ
05-09-13, 9:07 pm
May I ask the exact significance behind getting an elite total.

Significance to getting elite or International elite total is whatever you want to make it! What it means to you? Problem for so long with powerlifting is the standards were set so low everyone was claiming elite. The point of elite or International elite is that you are in a very small percentage of lifters out their if you hit those totals. That's all it is a solid legitimate guide to show lifters where they truly stand, good old info.

Kyle Lombardo
05-09-13, 9:24 pm
Good info! Thanks for posting this!

tomysaw
05-09-13, 9:36 pm
Significance to getting elite or International elite total is whatever you want to make it! What it means to you? Problem for so long with powerlifting is the standards were set so low everyone was claiming elite. The point of elite or International elite is that you are in a very small percentage of lifters out their if you hit those totals. That's all it is a solid legitimate guide to show lifters where they truly stand, good old info.

Thank you very much GUNZ! So it means your in a very small percentage. That's awesome! Now, off to my elite total!

Universal Rep
05-10-13, 9:57 am
This is interestin. Not bein a student of the sport, so "Elite" once meant sumthin, then got watered down and now the folks want to give it special meaning again?

tomysaw
05-10-13, 2:36 pm
This is interestin. Not bein a student of the sport, so "Elite" once meant sumthin, then got watered down and now the folks want to give it special meaning again?

I believe you got it.

GUNZ
05-10-13, 2:47 pm
Thank you very much GUNZ! So it means your in a very small percentage. That's awesome! Now, off to my elite total!

Go get it, I would say Elite is something in 8-10 percent range of lifters and International Elite is the small 3-5 percent

Yes correct! Back in the 70s and 80 when powerlifting was on ESPN, the guys that made it To IPF Worlds were true Elite totals. Now we have 15+ powerlifting federations and they all have their own records, different types of rules, different standards of was Elite or Pro totals. Bottom line is they were all set 2 low. Finally this new classification chart is a start to true numbers that reflect true Elite and International Elite totals. Some of the individual lifts need to be adjust as they did take some of they numbers from 80s when they used single ply gear but it's not like the gear today. Good thing is they working on it and even adjusting this current chart to reflect even more accurate totals.

Universal Rep
05-10-13, 3:16 pm
Go get it, I would say Elite is something in 8-10 percent range of lifters and International Elite is the small 3-5 percent

Yes correct! Back in the 70s and 80 when powerlifting was on ESPN, the guys that made it To IPF Worlds were true Elite totals. Now we have 15+ powerlifting federations and they all have their own records, different types of rules, different standards of was Elite or Pro totals. Bottom line is they were all set 2 low. Finally this new classification chart is a start to true numbers that reflect true Elite and International Elite totals. Some of the individual lifts need to be adjust as they did take some of they numbers from 80s when they used single ply gear but it's not like the gear today. Good thing is they working on it and even adjusting this current chart to reflect even more accurate totals.

Yup. I try followin powerlifting, but I always end up confused, haha. So many federations, raw, single ply, multi ply... Makes my head spin. So how do American PLers for example compete against intl powerlifters? How many US federations allow for a sharin of meets and records with international federations, etc? If powerlifting is gonna make an impact in the US, seems like this needs to be sorted out first rite? I think this Elite" designation sounds like a good start. I assume this means ya could compare international lifters now with US lifters. So when are we gonna see that in one place, all the biggest lifts? To be able to compare the world's best "raw" 308 lifter? 275? Etc?

GUNZ
05-11-13, 10:58 pm
Yup. I try followin powerlifting, but I always end up confused, haha. So many federations, raw, single ply, multi ply... Makes my head spin. So how do American PLers for example compete against intl powerlifters? How many US federations allow for a sharin of meets and records with international federations, etc? If powerlifting is gonna make an impact in the US, seems like this needs to be sorted out first rite? I think this Elite" designation sounds like a good start. I assume this means ya could compare international lifters now with US lifters. So when are we gonna see that in one place, all the biggest lifts? To be able to compare the world's best "raw" 308 lifter? 275? Etc?

We already have meets in the US that attract out of country lifter, Mostly Canadians come over for some of our bigger meets like Raw Unity, Clash for Cash, ect. Powerlifting is long way from getting all this fixed, but it's a start. I don't ever see it going to small handful of federations, the sport don't have big money backing it. For now some of the tops guys have to go out the country to a big level meet to see where you stand, example CAPO Nats. In other countries powerlifting is very popular and the meets attract pretty big crowds like BB shows.

Universal Rep
05-20-13, 9:31 am
We already have meets in the US that attract out of country lifter, Mostly Canadians come over for some of our bigger meets like Raw Unity, Clash for Cash, ect. Powerlifting is long way from getting all this fixed, but it's a start. I don't ever see it going to small handful of federations, the sport don't have big money backing it. For now some of the tops guys have to go out the country to a big level meet to see where you stand, example CAPO Nats. In other countries powerlifting is very popular and the meets attract pretty big crowds like BB shows.

Thnx for the info. Very interestin...

DEVILMAN40K
06-25-13, 7:40 pm
About time....

RaisingTheBar
06-26-13, 2:17 pm
Thanks! This is a great way to add milestones to my power lifting journey.