PDA

View Full Version : check my depth!!

LoneWolf45
05-10-13, 5:49 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga0duxh6dsQ

Here is a vid of me squatting 425 for 5 reps.
I feel i have been squatting too depth, but after filming it, i am questioning if this would green light in a meet?
I have a upcoming meet with the RPS federation.
Honest answers please!

BigChrisF
05-11-13, 4:11 am
It looks like you are getting depth to me.

thecookiemonster
05-16-13, 8:01 pm
The correct term would be: white light. ;)

Looking at your hip crease, it still looks like you are around parallel. I would say to drop it 2" or so to really make sure you clear depth, especially during your first competitions. Not all federations are very forgiving. If you plan on competing raw, I'd also suggest training with knee sleeves rather than wraps for the most part, since not all federations allow them. They are alright in training occasionally though.

But I digress.

Generally speaking, if you from time to time have parallel squats in your routine off-season it's not really going to break you, but it's best not to form bad habits. Form looks awesome though. :)

Goldstone
05-18-13, 5:48 pm
As a judge for the past 5 or 6 years (APF and RPS) rep 4 would have passed. The rest of them were either high, or right at parallel but never broke parallel. By definition, the hip crease has to break parallel with the top of the knee. Rep 4 did that. All the rest I would have red-lighted and pulled you aside and told you about an inch lower and you're golden.

I always give the benefit of the doubt to the lifter, but other than rep 4 none were in that range. 4 was solid.

Just my .02

Great camera angle to judge your depth!

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
05-21-13, 1:34 am
1st and 2nd were flat, 3rd thru 5th were in there! Stance looks a little on the wide side for going raw, lots of guys have problems with depth because of this. If your comfortable with this stance, your going to need better flexibilty in your hips to do this correctly. Practice going as deep as you can ALL the time, never cut a squat! Its better to get buried by it then punk out and cut it high! Partial / high squats are worthless to powerlifting! Ever see a guy bury a squat and come up almost to lock out and get stuck? NO! And you never will! People get stuck in the hole or just above. Why? From practicing half assed high squats! Don't be that guy! Also wear you belt and knee wraps religiously! Learning how to use them is essential, plus the added safety factor. If you need any tips or advice, just let me know. Ernie Sr.

LoneWolf45
05-22-13, 5:28 pm
1st and 2nd were flat, 3rd thru 5th were in there! Stance looks a little on the wide side for going raw, lots of guys have problems with depth because of this. If your comfortable with this stance, your going to need better flexibilty in your hips to do this correctly. Practice going as deep as you can ALL the time, never cut a squat! Its better to get buried by it then punk out and cut it high! Partial / high squats are worthless to powerlifting! Ever see a guy bury a squat and come up almost to lock out and get stuck? NO! And you never will! People get stuck in the hole or just above. Why? From practicing half assed high squats! Don't be that guy! Also wear you belt and knee wraps religiously! Learning how to use them is essential, plus the added safety factor. If you need any tips or advice, just let me know. Ernie Sr.

I will deffinetly conctinue to go lower after filming myself.
When you mentioned the wrap and belt, are you saying i should wear them more in my training?
I usually put them on when i get in the 400's although today i did 425 for 3 reps with no wraps.
I out my belt on around 315, but deff can go higher without wearing it.
should i wear these 2 more? Thanks

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
05-23-13, 2:31 am
Yes to both. Squating with them and without them feel completly different. The form and technique are developed without them, but when used they need to work with/for you, not against you. As a general rule of thumb, the belt goes on for your 2nd to last warm up, and the wraps go on for your last warm up. Both of these can cause you to loose your balance and cut your depth. Putting them on earlier allows you to get a feel for them, without risking injury. Each set they are worn tighter to accommdate the increased loads, while maintaining balance and safety! Good luck buddy, give them a try! :)

LoneWolf45
05-23-13, 7:52 am
Yes to both. Squating with them and without them feel completly different. The form and technique are developed without them, but when used they need to work with/for you, not against you. As a general rule of thumb, the belt goes on for your 2nd to last warm up, and the wraps go on for your last warm up. Both of these can cause you to loose your balance and cut your depth. Putting them on earlier allows you to get a feel for them, without risking injury. Each set they are worn tighter to accommdate the increased loads, while maintaining balance and safety! Good luck buddy, give them a try! :)

Ok, thanks! that is good to hear. I do like wearing both the belt and wraps, so i will thrown them on earlier.

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
05-28-13, 2:02 am
Also, when doing reps for powerlifting training, you need to single them out. Meaning, set up for first rep, hit it, reset at top and repeat. Very important to make each rep a '' single '' , and put max effort into each and every one every time! Form, technique, bar posistion, foot posistion, belt adjustment, breathing, etc, etc. Each and every step must be addressed and varifyed before each rep is exacuted! Practice alone doesn't cut it, you must practice perfectly to get better! We have tons of videos on you tube, that we will be posting explaining how to lift properly. If you get a chance, check them out, a pic is worth a thousand words...... a good video is worth 10x that!

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
05-28-13, 2:06 am
UPDATE : Ernie Jr posted our squat workout from 5-25-13 in the powerlifting video section. Chevk it out!

LoneWolf45
05-28-13, 9:14 am
UPDATE : Ernie Jr posted our squat workout from 5-25-13 in the powerlifting video section. Chevk it out!

Just checked his video, always helpful.

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
06-02-13, 1:03 am
Its been over 20 days since you put up this post. Any new squat videos?

LoneWolf45
06-02-13, 7:43 am
actually.... i was at the allentown ABC yesterday and i got on the monolift.

I worked all they was up to a new PR of 555lbs raw with my wraps on.P-Diesel was spotting me and all the other animals there it was awesome.
Unfortunately i have no video, but i will definitely make on in the next week or 2.
I have been wearing my knee wraps a lot earlier in training wich you recomended, and it is working for me.

Secondly...
2 weeks after this video was posted, i competed in a RPS powerlifting meet and hit a 500 squat on my second attempt (sunk in the whole with 530lbs on my 3rd)
Training is going well especially with the PR at the ABC yesterday.
Thanks for all the tips and pointers on here, i will work on getting a video up. what do you want to see? 3 reps? 2? or a heavy single around 500+??

P Diesel
06-03-13, 11:11 am
actually.... i was at the allentown ABC yesterday and i got on the monolift.

I worked all they was up to a new PR of 555lbs raw with my wraps on.P-Diesel was spotting me and all the other animals there it was awesome.
Unfortunately i have no video, but i will definitely make on in the next week or 2.
I have been wearing my knee wraps a lot earlier in training wich you recomended, and it is working for me.

i can vouch for the 555, touch and go off a low box. looked very strong

P

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
06-06-13, 1:26 am
Why not post both! Go 405x3, 455x2, 500x1 and see how it goes!

LoneWolf45
06-06-13, 8:29 pm

ok, good idea. I will be squatting Saturday. i will get a lot of footage and attempt to put it all together in one video.

LoneWolf45
06-08-13, 3:38 pm

here it is from this morning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMWs6zDUus0