PDA

View Full Version : How I train for a meet: Month 1-War is the answer!

Freakshowelite
05-14-13, 2:22 pm
When I started training I really had clue how to go about it. I was a bodybuilder previously and had to use what I knew from bodybuilding to build a game plan. I knew that when I pyramided up I was able to get in quality work and still lift heavy ass weights and get strong(er). So why not apply this to powerlifting. From most people I gathered that 12 weeks is your normal amount of time given to prepare for a meet. So my basic plan of attack was to pyramid towards the meet. At 3 months out I hit 3 reps, at 2 months out I hit 2 reps, and the last month is single. Pretty much progressive overload, with my own twist. Bodybuilding had taught me a lot about work ethic, and in return I learned how to bust my ass. Which is pretty much the basis of how I train, no real rhyme, reason, no real intelligance, just work.

Month 1: "I'll work till I'm dead, and then I'll do it all again"-RB

-This first month is probably the most painful part of my training. The first month consists of:
1.raw
2.no belt
3.ME Triples
4.no straight weight
5.bands, chains, combination
6.multiple bars, angles, deficits, boxes, boards, and blocks
7.pain

The purpose of this first month is simple, WORK! I use a variation of bars, ROM's, and resistance to keep my mind off the actual numbers, previous pr's, and mental blocks. When you train with straight weight you get caught up in numbers numbers numbers f*ckin numbers. I found myself getting discouraged because I didn't hit this number or that number. I started training with chains and bands not because of accommodating resistance, I didn't know what the hell that meant. I trained with them because, well, chains looked badass, and because I never really knew just how much weight was on the bar. My focus was just on working as hard as I possibly could, working up to my maximum triple, whatever that was. Emptying my tank, and then going another ten miles! I use different weights of chain and different strength of bands. I like to keep it changing so I never know my top ends on something. I cannot stress enough how my training is based around just working until I'm dead, then hitting another set. Another reason why I like to use this type of resistance is because I like making the lift harder than it has to be. When you lift against the weight you are just fighting one enemy, the bar. When you add chains, bands, or a combination you are fighting multiple enemies, much like the people who want to see you fail, these enemies want you to fail too. You have multiple forces working against you, testing you, giving you a chance to prove how bad you really want to lock that weight out. If you train in hell then battle is just a another day. By that I mean if you make your training unnecessarily hard, when you get to the meet you are prepared for almost anything.

A sample of each training day

Bench
1st lift
-ME triples(find your absolute top end)
-Chains or bands
-specialty bar
2nd Lift
-drop the bar weight
-add more resistance or use both types
-if the first lift went well, do reps of 5
-if the first lift was less than expected its times to do work! Multiple burnout sets, adding weight each time
-work till your dead!
Lifts 3-5
-assistance movements to build the lift
-triceps, back, and shoulders
-4 sets of 8-20 all depending on how you feel
Final lift
abs

Squat
-Repeat the first two lifts of bench
-either off a box or free

Lifts 3-5
-same as bench
-assistance lifts to build squat
-hammies, hips, quads
-good mornings, hack squats, zerchers, leg press
Final lift
abs

Deathlift
My favorite
DEATH BY LIFT!
First lift
-ME triples against chains or bands again
-rotate sumo, conv, from the floor, deficit, blocks. keep it changing
-triples till your dead!

2nd lift
-ME triples again
-drop bar weight
-use both chains and bands
-lots of resistance
-rotate from first lift your stance, and from where the lift begins
-leave it all on the platform

Lifts 3-5
-assistance lifts for the deathlift
-hammies, lower back, glutes, upper back
-reps and sets same as bench and squat assistance

Final lift
abs

This is just an example of how I train. The weeks are usually not 100% consistant. The only things that remain consistant are the bands and chains, the ME triples, and working till your dead. Something important to add about the chains. I always make it a point to have the chains hanging off the ground at lock out, or at least 95% of them. It always annoys me when people say 120lbs of chain and half of them never come off the floor. I take full advantage of every link.

So there you have it, theres month 1 of 3. Theres no science, or research, or really any intelligance behind it. I just make training harder than it has to be and kill myself in the gym everyday.

Firefist
05-14-13, 3:03 pm
Your recent stretch of articles have been awesome. Thanks for the insight marshall.

Freakshowelite
05-14-13, 3:34 pm
Your recent stretch of articles have been awesome. Thanks for the insight marshall.

thanks buddy, I go in streaks one liking to write

Kyle Lombardo
05-14-13, 11:02 pm
Really appreciate the write up!! These are the types of things I really enjoy reading.... Help soak in as much info and new ideas as possible to better myself in the powerlifting game!! Thanks again and best of luck to you in your training and up coming competitions...

Goldstone
05-16-13, 1:50 pm
I always make it a point to have the chains hanging off the ground at lock out, or at least 95% of them. It always annoys me when people say 120lbs of chain and half of them never come off the floor. I take full advantage of every link.

I wish more people understood this concept, Marshall. People get caught up in "using" chains rather than USING them. They want the attention of doing 135 + a few chains for their "speed" work because it's cool.

The worst is people guesstimating the band tension at the top of certain lifts. "Easily 1000lbs at the top." - said the guy struggling with 750 for an opener...

Side note: For anyone reading this, if that IS your speed work I'm not knocking you. It's the people that want the attention and to look cool using them because they read an issue of M&F on how chains can help training.

Big Wides
05-16-13, 3:07 pm
Something important to add about the chains. I always make it a point to have the chains hanging off the ground at lock out, or at least 95% of them. It always annoys me when people say 120lbs of chain and half of them never come off the floor. I take full advantage of every link.

So there you have it, theres month 1 of 3. Theres no science, or research, or really any intelligance behind it. I just make training harder than it has to be and kill myself in the gym everyday.

We share the same philosophies on training and the point about the chains is a soild one to make for anyone looking to use them. Great article and looking forward to months 2 and 3

Freakshowelite
05-21-13, 2:06 pm
I wish more people understood this concept, Marshall. People get caught up in "using" chains rather than USING them. They want the attention of doing 135 + a few chains for their "speed" work because it's cool.

The worst is people guesstimating the band tension at the top of certain lifts. "Easily 1000lbs at the top." - said the guy struggling with 750 for an opener...

Side note: For anyone reading this, if that IS your speed work I'm not knocking you. It's the people that want the attention and to look cool using them because they read an issue of M&F on how chains can help training.

right on Ryan!

Freakshowelite
05-21-13, 2:06 pm
We share the same philosophies on training and the point about the chains is a soild one to make for anyone looking to use them. Great article and looking forward to months 2 and 3

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to read it!

Freakshowelite
05-21-13, 2:07 pm
Really appreciate the write up!! These are the types of things I really enjoy reading.... Help soak in as much info and new ideas as possible to better myself in the powerlifting game!! Thanks again and best of luck to you in your training and up coming competitions...

thank you very much, I really appreciate it!