PDA

View Full Version : Good Mornings

Cellardweller
05-26-13, 12:49 pm
What's the proper form for good mornings? I did them today and started out in the same stance and bar placement as I do squats. I then bent at the waist keeping my ass out, head up and back arched until I got parallel and then came back up. Why are they called "good mornings?"

Chivalry
05-26-13, 3:49 pm
That's usually the stance I take, similar to squat as far as foot placement, and stick your ass out on the downward motion. Just never round your back. A slight bend in the knees is helpful as it puts more of the stretch on the lower back, if locking the legs it'll hit the hamstrings a bit harder. I'd save them until I was really warmed up, or use really light weights to stretch out the muscle.
As far as why they are called Good Mornings, I think they gave it the name because it represents 'bowing' to greet someone 'good morning'.

Goldstone
05-27-13, 10:56 am
What's the proper form for good mornings? I did them today and started out in the same stance and bar placement as I do squats. I then bent at the waist keeping my ass out, head up and back arched until I got parallel and then came back up. Why are they called "good mornings?"

There are a couple variations to them. What Chivalry said was your typical GM with good form. Some people like doing them with a close/Olympic style stance, and others with a super wide stance like you were in a squat suit. Arch your back hard, keep your legs stiff to a very slight bend, and get reps. No sense in maxing these out as they are an accessory movement, not a main movement.

I think both stances have their place, but a big range of motion makes the most sense. Wide stance good mornings with a 4" range of motion isn't going to do much other than inflate your ego. You'll get more out of 135 or 185 (while maintaining good form) and going until you feel like you're going to double over, than just sticking your ass out and thinking it's a GM.

mritter3
05-27-13, 8:16 pm
I do them with feet closer together than squat form...also I like to do them seated from time to time.