PDA

View Full Version : Manual labor job. can i make strength gains?

LoneWolf45
05-28-13, 9:11 am
Over the summer i work in a warehouse for only 4 months while home from school. Last year i lost about 10lbs and strength. This year i want to attempt to stay heavy, and even make strength gains for a powerlifting meet at the end of the summer.

So far, i think if i just eat a lot more i will be able to do this. Days can be from 6-9 hours, on the floor all day carrying furniture and cleaning out HOT moving trucks, and last year my legs really took a toll.

My question is what else can i do to help keep my weight up, and make strength gains? Thanks

World Eater
05-28-13, 5:54 pm
Simple. Eat and train. P Diesel and Ben Seath both work manual labor and they're surely not the only ones and they seem to be able to keep their strenght up pretty well.

chromedome106
05-28-13, 8:19 pm
i work one as well and im making progess every week.. no big deal

LoneWolf45
05-28-13, 8:44 pm
Good to hear. Ya im gonna just eat like a fuckin horse, and should be able too keep my weight up.

rocky36
05-28-13, 9:19 pm
Good to hear. Ya im gonna just eat like a fuckin horse, and should be able too keep my weight up.

Don't forget to get quality sleep, if you have money for supplements get animal pak, nitro or another amino acid, and real gains.

chromedome106
05-28-13, 9:35 pm
sleep is the only part i have trouble with cuz i train in the mornings and work at nights

LoneWolf45
05-28-13, 9:39 pm
sleep is the only part i have trouble with cuz i train in the mornings and work at nights

Ya i start real early, and hit the gym at night, so i can usually get about 6-7 hrs in.

Riffmaster
05-28-13, 9:51 pm
I had the same problem working in A Coca Cola warehouse. I started packing two coolers full of food and protein shakes and ate whenever I got a chance. We were working 12-20 hour days. I feel your pain. Keep us updated on how it all works for you. If I was able to get good uninterrupted sleep I was able to stay about the same.

-Riffmaster

chromedome106
05-28-13, 10:28 pm
I had the same problem working in A Coca Cola warehouse. I started packing two coolers full of food and protein shakes and ate whenever I got a chance. We were working 12-20 hour days. I feel your pain. Keep us updated on how it all works for you. If I was able to get good uninterrupted sleep I was able to stay about the same.

-Riffmaster

haha i also work at coca-cola im a fleet mechanic

chromedome106
05-28-13, 10:32 pm
i get about 6 hrs a night

Riffmaster
05-28-13, 10:45 pm
haha i also work at coca-cola im a fleet mechanic

No kidding? The warehouse I worked in was owned independently. Is yours corporate?

chromedome106
05-28-13, 11:35 pm
No kidding? The warehouse I worked in was owned independently. Is yours corporate?

yup been here 6 years
. yeah we are under corporate

Nix0r
05-28-13, 11:57 pm
You can absolutely keep your weight up during this time. Whenever you get a chance, pound as much food as possible. Because you're gonna be moving shit around all day, and then training, don't be afraid to dirty up the diet a bit to get in a sufficient amount of calories.

Also, try making your own protein bars (combine oats, whey, milk, and natural peanut butter), and crush one of those whenever you get a free minute from moving things around. You definitely need to make sure you're getting in enough water during the day; you're gonna be busting your ass all day, the last thing you want to be is dehydrated while training.

ATLAS64
05-29-13, 12:06 am
Over the summer i work in a warehouse for only 4 months while home from school. Last year i lost about 10lbs and strength. This year i want to attempt to stay heavy, and even make strength gains for a powerlifting meet at the end of the summer.

So far, i think if i just eat a lot more i will be able to do this. Days can be from 6-9 hours, on the floor all day carrying furniture and cleaning out HOT moving trucks, and last year my legs really took a toll.

My question is what else can i do to help keep my weight up, and make strength gains? Thanks

You can definitely keep your strength up. I worked manual labor for a year before I went to grad school. I cut my weight training back to 2 sessions per week and have continued to do this through grad school. Eat more...cut your training days back to something manageable. If you are used to training 4-5 days per week try 3...if you are used to training 3 days per week try 2. Just play with it until you find something that works for you. Best of luck!

Rudehammer
05-29-13, 2:03 am
Yup, you can still gain,'

I just started with a newer company as a Stone Mason, I lift stones and rocks with 10 hour days and haul shit through the mud. I'm taking a 1 month break to adjust I would sugjest you take a break to get adjusted so you can get the proper sleep (8-10 hours) and eat 3-8 meals per day b4 heading to the gym.

I'm going to share with you my old daily schedule that helped me gain size and strength while working heavy labour.

Wake up eat eggs work eat donuts drink creatine work eat vegtables work go home lay in the tub and eat a bag of marshmellows, NAP FOR 1-2 HOURS eat a big dinner and once/twice a week go to the gym and focus on a 15 set workout and focus on Deadlifts or squats every wedensday after dinner and a big bench day on friday with some arms and lat work. Eat eat Eat. SLEEP LIKE A BEAR. When you get home enjoy a pot full of perogies poached eggs and cottage cheese.I think if you follow somthing similar to what I did you will be surprised at how big and strong you will get.

I also strongly reccommed the weighted chinup and dip if you are lean like me.

I prefer whole food over sups ,but ANIMAL PAK actually works sugjest a multi-vit pak pre workout midweek on your leg day for sure. Try Nitro on friday when you do your arms.

Also a good workout snack is a can of pineapple half way through work-out when you are out of gas.

Don't trash it you try this for at least 2-3 months, it takes time to grow.

Avoid caffeine

Drink Jello.

Enjoy Carbs.

-Rudy

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
05-31-13, 3:38 am
Yes, gains can still be made. You have to really push yourself and dig deep to make it happen. Food and sleep are needed, but proper supplements/enhancements are the real key to success. Not sure whats allowed or not here, so I'll leave it at that, best of luck.

World Eater
05-31-13, 7:56 am
Yes, gains can still be made. You have to really push yourself and dig deep to make it happen. Food and sleep are needed, but proper supplements/enhancements are the real key to success. Not sure whats allowed or not here, so I'll leave it at that, best of luck.
If it's legal, you can discuss it here - though the rules indicate you can only discuss Animal/Universal/Sportpharma supps or just keep it at 'general' stuff like just calling it whey, aminos, creatine without naming the brand.

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
05-31-13, 1:14 pm
Thanks World Eater. Im sure he'll understand what I'm saying without going into specifics.

Maccabee
05-31-13, 1:24 pm
Through out college I had a manual labor job too. I was working my butt off especially in the summer time from early morning to 8pm at night. 12 hour shifts etc... I had school full time, work, etc...

Point is I was exhausted just like you, but every night I went to the gym and I still hit PR's.

I rarely take supplements or any kinds of pills and magic drinks. I am not into supplements. All I did was eat 5-8 whole meals a day.

There are no secrets and there is nothing you can do to make that exhaustion go away. Nothing! Either you want it or you don't. After a little while your body will ADAPT! Mine did and so will yours.

You dont want to rely on some supplement to make you stronger every time you train.

Maybe this is not what you want to hear but it is what it is. You have to dig deep. Good luck.

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
06-01-13, 3:59 am
Reminds me of the story of Sergio Oliva that was told by a major magazine about his training for the Olympia :Drove 2+ hrs to work in the steel mills as a laboror, woked 16hr double shifts pouring hot melted steel in 150+ degree conditions all day long. Was such a hard worker that he would skip lunch and breaks. Then after working 16hrs in these conditions ( without eating or rest ) would drive 2+hrs to the gym where he would train balls out for 4hrs straight! He would do this up to 7 times a week! And of course he NEVER took any supplements of any kind! Lets see if this makes sense: works 24hrs a day 7 days a week at hard intense labor or is in the gym going 100%, never sleeps, never eats, never takes any supplements, walks around at 280+ lbs at 5% bodyfat, is stronger then any top weightlifter or powerlifter in the world, and to top it off IS Mr.Olympia! Yep, makes perfect sense, totally believable!

Aggression
06-01-13, 12:55 pm
Hey bro. I worked at The U Corporate for almost 5 years, sitting on my rear end. About 5-6 weeks ago, I left for a manual labor job. I'm outside, in the heat, moving windows around that weigh between 150-250lbs each. In that short time span, I've gone from 235lbs or so to about 220 in the morning. Strength took a bit of a dive initially, but its on it's way back up. Just eat more. Stay hydrated, eat bigger meals (when you can), and continue to train hard. Maybe cut back the volume on the training a bit until you adjust. I went from 4-5 days a week to about 3-4 training sessions, hitting just the main movements and 2 assistance exercises. Just stay focused.

LoneWolf45
06-04-13, 6:43 pm
8 days of work down so far, and i have been able too maintain my weight which is awesome! Deadlifts tomaro, so i will see how strength is.

skibasgym
06-25-13, 2:03 pm
He still makes awesome gains by following nutrition and consuming many calories.
Sleep is the keep,sacrificing some night life to recuperate and get some rest.
Skibs

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
07-02-13, 2:21 am
Hey LoneWolf45, how did that deadlift training session go?