PDA

View Full Version : IT band brace

Appollonian
06-03-13, 1:14 pm
I've got a question for the masses.

For the background I'm currently rehabbing an injury to my right leg from over 1.5 years ago that I first trained through, then around, and then became impossible to ignore. I've made significant progress working with a great Physical Therapist over the last four months. What we've found is that the original injury caused a cascade of other issues that we have worked through, or are currently working through. One big concern still left is my IT band is extremely tight, so much so it throws my leg out of alignment and worsens other areas of my leg.

I roll it, self message it, get release done at PT, stretch it and it all helps, but I wanted to give a compression brace a try.

I've searched online and checked out numerous products and their reviews, checked other forums, but I always depend on the FORVM more than any other place. From previous experience, one size fits most braces aren't great, and I'm not really that large by any stretch of the imagination. I just need something that wraps around above my knee only and provides compression in a focused area, doesn't really have to be any larger than a quarter.

As far as how to rehab an injury like I've got, I'm open on that, too.

Thank you ahead of time.

BigChrisF
06-03-13, 1:54 pm
Wrap a knee wrap around your leg with a half of a tennis or racquet ball in it. Have the rounded side toward your leg and over where you want the pressure point.

Appollonian
06-04-13, 9:25 am
Wrap a knee wrap around your leg with a half of a tennis or racquet ball in it. Have the rounded side toward your leg and over where you want the pressure point.

Thank you very much for this. By far and away exactly what I needed. It is really doing a number on my IT band, and the rest of my leg feels a lot better, and when I do stretches for my IT band I feel a lot more relief than I was before.

I'll wear it off/on for a few days and let you know how it goes.

Appollonian
06-24-13, 8:20 am
I wanted to thank you again BigChrisF. I've worn a brace I made up based on your recommendation to hit points on my quad, IT band, TFL, and various points on my hamstrings over the last few weeks and it’s made a big difference. I'll wear it for a period of time as it goes from feeling painful, then feeling really good, and then as soon as the pain kicks in again I'll take it off, massage, stretch, and then go without it for a period of time.