PDA

View Full Version : question about Personal Best

RCAF
06-07-13, 3:22 pm
Sup SwoleBros

Question:

Deadlifts or Bench - Wich should I max out today - And how many tries do you do for your 1 Rep Max before calling it quits, I dont want to fail.

BamBam
06-07-13, 3:25 pm
Sup SwoleBros

Question:

Deadlifts or Bench - Wich should I max out today - And how many tries do you do for your 1 Rep Max before calling it quits, I dont want to fail.

Why don't you want to fail?

What is your current PR on both lifts? Knowing your #'s will help gauge how to warm up and what not... What are you looking to max on these lifts? 1 rep? 2? 3?

Fill us in and I am sure people will help.

BB-

RCAF
06-07-13, 3:28 pm
Why don't you want to fail?

What is your current PR on both lifts? Knowing your #'s will help gauge how to warm up and what not... What are you looking to max on these lifts? 1 rep? 2? 3?

Fill us in and I am sure people will help.

BB-

Roger that!

This will ne my first official max since january

It was 275 lbs for the bench 2 reps

and I have never really maxed Deadlifts

I use 225 for sets tho, Should I attempt @ both big excercises today?

PS. I do back and chest training same day

Merc_enary
06-07-13, 3:34 pm
I am not a powerlifter so I could be more than wrong here so my apologies for that. However when training for 1MR for those, especially the DL as a whole, it can be extremely taxing having the possibility of hindering plausible maxes. I have seen PL's at my gym that run all the Big 3 in a day but it looks like training for reps rather than 1MR. Nonetheless best of luck brother.

BamBam
06-07-13, 3:59 pm
I am not a powerlifter so I could be more than wrong here so my apologies for that. However when training for 1MR for those, especially the DL as a whole, it can be extremely taxing having the possibility of hindering plausible maxes. I have seen PL's at my gym that run all the Big 3 in a day but it looks like training for reps rather than 1MR. Nonetheless best of luck brother.

I have seen this done at it's called a "mock meet." basically where a power lifter will go in and max out on all three, in progressive jumps (attempts) like he/she would in a meet... but just in a gym. It's a great gauge to see how you should perform come the day of competition.

I honestly can't say one way or the other if you "should" max out both on the same day... me, personally... I wouldn't. If I know I am going to bench heavy or max out on the bench, I wanna focus on the bench. I wanna get my shoulders/rotators loose, tri's warm, and get warm on the bench... and then go for it.

For you, I would do something like this...

Bar x 10-15
135 x 5
225 x 2
250 x 1
275 x 1
(new max) x 1 - if you hit it, and feel good, add weight
(new max) x 1 - repeat until failure or until you KNOW 100% you don't have anything left.

If you wanna do doubles then do the same thing just add a rep for your sets. That's all.

NOW.... with maxing on the deadlift... that's on you. Whatever weight you have in mind, make the same jumps like above and do no more than 5 down to 1 rep range, and build up to where u wanna be. Let's say it's 405, start with 135 x 5, 225 x 2, 315 x 1, 350 x 1, 405 x 1. Something like that. Main thing to realize is don't tax yourself on the warm ups. Save yor gas for the max..

Hope this helps. Anything else ya need let me know.

RCAF
06-10-13, 11:21 am

Hey Thanks for the input/advice

I maxed only bench press and I got to 285 wich is a new PR for me.

I did almost to a T what you suggested with the reps. I might have gotten 1 more lift but I still had decline and flies to do.

I will max Deads later this week, Thursday is my next chest back day!!

thanks for the reply and ill keep you bros posted

JHOORNSTRA
06-10-13, 5:04 pm
I agree with the setup Bambam posted

BamBam
06-13-13, 12:21 pm
I agree with the setup Bambam posted

This helps lets me know im not nuts... now.. if only I benched as much as you haha