PDA

View Full Version : Homemade atlas stones?

KettleBellFreak
06-08-13, 12:31 pm
Anybody know how?

Was thinking of two stirefoam(fuck spelling) blocks, cutting a half sphere into each, line the inside with thick primer paint, drilling a hole in the top of one of em, taking some plywood and make a box without a lid to hold the sons of bitches together, then pour my mix in.

Does that sound like it would work? It would cost around 50 bucks if that's on the money.

Shukin
06-08-13, 12:38 pm
Here is the place for molds and info
http://www.slatershardware.com

Higa has lots of experience making them.

KettleBellFreak
06-08-13, 12:47 pm
Here is the place for molds and info
http://www.slatershardware.com

Higa has lots of experience making them.

slatwrs is out of budget. man.id love to just buy a mold

Shukin
06-08-13, 12:51 pm
slatwrs is out of budget. man.id love to just buy a mold

what's your budget for a mold? I got a log recently from a guy off craigslist, he had a slater mold he bought years ago but never used, i can ask him if you like.

KettleBellFreak
06-08-13, 1:29 pm
what's your budget for a mold? I got a log recently from a guy off craigslist, he had a slater mold he bought years ago but never used, i can ask him if you like.

hell yeah man! Just like a hundred bucks. Was planning on making one and don't have the money right atm. But I get a check today and next Friday.

Vrotsos991
06-08-13, 2:20 pm
Plan isnt really that solid. THe styrofoam wont hold the weight of the the mix. You will have to put the weight bearing part of the mold in sand to offer support. Plus it will be pretty difficult to make a perfect sphere, when you are just carving away at some foam. I would save some cash up, and then buy the mold. It will save you more head aches, and money in the long run. I also believe you will need to get some re bar to help give the sphere some strength.

KettleBellFreak
06-08-13, 2:33 pm
Plan isnt really that solid. THe styrofoam wont hold the weight of the the mix. You will have to put the weight bearing part of the mold in sand to offer support. Plus it will be pretty difficult to make a perfect sphere, when you are just carving away at some foam. I would save some cash up, and then buy the mold. It will save you more head aches, and money in the long run. I also believe you will need to get some re bar to help give the sphere some strength.

I know a mold would be easier. Just trying to be frugle because I honestly don't have the cash and just wanna train.

Shukin
06-08-13, 3:32 pm
hell yeah man! Just like a hundred bucks. Was planning on making one and don't have the money right atm. But I get a check today and next Friday.

I'll text the dude, he lives pretty close to me so I can mail it to you if need be.

KettleBellFreak
06-08-13, 3:55 pm
I'll text the dude, he lives pretty close to me so I can mail it to you if need be.

shoot me a pm anytime brother, I'd compensate you adequately for helping me out man!

pushin_Fe
06-08-13, 5:13 pm
I bought one of those marble colored bouncing ball, built up some plaster of paris around it making it close to an inch thick and put a bowl on top, when it hardens(bwuup!) take the bowl off and let the air out of the ball so the inside could dry....once dry mix up some cement and fill the ball slowly and stir it a lot inside the mold to get as many of the air bubbles out as possible, over fill the mold and then it just takes a hammer to chip and round it off.....with this smaller ball and no lead center it weighs about 170ish but I have bought a couple larger balls to many heavier stones

P Diesel
06-10-13, 1:40 pm
I bought one of those marble colored bouncing ball, built up some plaster of paris around it making it close to an inch thick and put a bowl on top, when it hardens(bwuup!) take the bowl off and let the air out of the ball so the inside could dry....once dry mix up some cement and fill the ball slowly and stir it a lot inside the mold to get as many of the air bubbles out as possible, over fill the mold and then it just takes a hammer to chip and round it off.....with this smaller ball and no lead center it weighs about 170ish but I have bought a couple larger balls to many heavier stones

more or less what i did to make mine. my heaviest is 365. one thing toi add would be cement sealer to fill in and cracks and hold it together longer.

P

KettleBellFreak
06-10-13, 3:46 pm
more or less what i did to make mine. my heaviest is 365. one thing toi add would be cement sealer to fill in and cracks and hold it together longer.

P

how did you get yours heavier than his?

pushin_Fe
06-10-13, 3:49 pm
I'm guessing mine is smaller and I didn't add any lead for more weight in this first one

KettleBellFreak
06-10-13, 4:28 pm
I'm guessing mine is smaller and I didn't add any lead for more weight in this first one

yeah man I just realized how damn dumb that question was.

JHOORNSTRA
06-10-13, 5:01 pm
My friend bought 3 sets of molds on ebay or craigslist for around $75...to adjust the weight either use lead which we went to a tire store and swept up lead weights off the floor and they let us have them...or a styrofoam cube for making it lighter...then we mixed and set the molds once full on a few tires to make sure there weren't any flat spots. I honestly didn't think it was that hard but made some husefeld stones and they were way easier but wood working was more of a background for me...I'm sure there are a ton of ways to do it though...

JHo

P Diesel
06-11-13, 11:22 am
how did you get yours heavier than his?

yeah man I just realized how damn dumb that question was.

hahahaa all good. u can add lead to the center while pouring the cement. the larger stability balls end up being much heavier just as u would think.

think about it liek this tho, the molds especially one craigslist, will pay for themselves if u make stones for others in teh area or hardcore gyms etc and charge a small amount over materials. it all evens out.

for me making the mold w the stability ball was an easy route, took about 5 days for one

P

STRONGmanmike
06-11-13, 12:12 pm
until you are able to get your stones, check out jts strength's kalle beck's training log, he has a pretty cool trick that he uses to train stones with when he doesnt have access to stones, he uses 45 pound plates.

P Diesel
06-11-13, 1:12 pm
until you are able to get your stones, check out jts strength's kalle beck's training log, he has a pretty cool trick that he uses to train stones with when he doesnt have access to stones, he uses 45 pound plates.

i used to do that before i made my own. i never found it very effective. the onyl real similarity i found was that the weigth was consolidted in one pick similar to a stone

P

Shukin
06-11-13, 1:25 pm
i used to do that before i made my own. i never found it very effective. the onyl real similarity i found was that the weigth was consolidted in one pick similar to a stone

P

Though I have never tried that technique, I have heard from many that it's not the same. I know a 300 # sandbag doesn't compare to a 300# stone, different pick all together.

STRONGmanmike
06-11-13, 1:38 pm
nothing really compares to real stones, but for someone on a budget you gotta do what you gotta do. another option is finding a natural stone that you can load. again it is not the atlas stone but you are still using a lot of the same muscles and when you load heavy natural stones, you find yourself using similar technique to atlas stone loading. (lapping the stone, etc.)

Shukin
06-11-13, 2:28 pm
nothing really compares to real stones, but for someone on a budget you gotta do what you gotta do. another option is finding a natural stone that you can load. again it is not the atlas stone but you are still using a lot of the same muscles and when you load heavy natural stones, you find yourself using similar technique to atlas stone loading. (lapping the stone, etc.)

I was thinking the same thing, good post.

KettleBellFreak
06-12-13, 11:58 am
I appreciate all the advice. I know a place with natty stones that aren't too jagged that I might look into
But I'm going to see how far I can manage with a plaster mold and a ball. i'm going to get the stuff sometime this weekend. I'll post a pic of what I manage to make.

STRONGmanmike
06-12-13, 12:25 pm
go for it bro! i would get some cement fibers to throw in with the cement mix to help strengthen the cement and keep it together. thats one thing i wish i had done with my homemade hussafel stone. definitely will keep it from falling apart on you.

Shukin
06-14-13, 3:48 pm
You still interested in that slater mold? it's never used and he is asking about $60 less than what he payed for it, o.b.o

KettleBellFreak
06-15-13, 9:52 pm
You still interested in that slater mold? it's never used and he is asking about $60 less than what he payed for it, o.b.o

know the diameter or weight?

Shukin
06-15-13, 10:26 pm
know the diameter or weight?

21", pm me

KettleBellFreak
06-16-13, 1:40 am
Shit balls that's a big stone