PDA

View Full Version : Super Squat program

Shukin
06-08-13, 12:36 pm
Anyone ever run Super Squat? Any and all feedback welcome.

Thank you,
Shukin

Riffmaster
08-07-13, 1:37 am
Anyone ever run Super Squat? Any and all feedback welcome.

Thank you,
Shukin

I'm curious about this too. Hope to get a reply.

BigChrisF
08-08-13, 12:59 am
If by Super Squat you mean Smolov squat cycle, then yes. Yes I have.

Brometheus
08-09-13, 1:50 pm

Sounds like it worked well for you?

BigChrisF
08-15-13, 10:57 pm
Sounds like it worked well for you?

It was a difficult program to keep up with, but I saw good results from it.

Big Wides
08-16-13, 8:11 am

Smolov is a tough program to keep up with, I did it as my hamstring rehab once I cleared PT. It helps build size and stamina in the legs I also put on a couple of lbs doing it as well.

twoheadedboy
08-19-13, 2:22 pm
Super Squats is taking your 10RM and doing it for 20 "breathing reps" (i.e. pause between each rep but do not rack the bar). Then add 5 lbs per workout, 3x per week, for 6 weeks, only other lift you do is pullovers, must eat.

I have never done the full program but I have experimented with 20 rep sets like this, it is brutally hard. I'd say it's harder than the Smolov mesocycle physically (which is saying a lot), a hair less mentally. With Super Squats, you only pick up that bar one time, though those last 5 or so reps are pure hell. With Smolov, you have multiple sets so you're picking up again after you set it down; I find that to be the worst part. I found the sets of 9 to be particularly brutal, and the 5's were worse than the 7's and 3's.

In either case you must eat a metric fuck ton, sleep as much as possible, supps are strongly recommended, and prehab work (i.e. mobility, stretching, warmups, hot tubs, massages, acupuncture, witchcraft, anything that helps) is recommended. Do NOT base your rep scheme off more than 90% of your 1RM if you have never done either.

Anyway, those are my views on the two. I think both are excellent plateau busters but unnecessary if you are making progress doing anything less intense...they are a silver bullet you want to reserve for last result when all other attempts at progress in strength have failed. Super Squats is also more size-focused, though you WILL get stronger on both, and the strength gains will carry over to your deadlifts as well, even though you aren't (or shouldn't be) doing them at all for the duration of the program.

Shukin
08-19-13, 2:35 pm
Super Squats is taking your 10RM and doing it for 20 "breathing reps" (i.e. pause between each rep but do not rack the bar). Then add 5 lbs per workout, 3x per week, for 6 weeks, only other lift you do is pullovers, must eat.

I have never done the full program but I have experimented with 20 rep sets like this, it is brutally hard. I'd say it's harder than the Smolov mesocycle physically (which is saying a lot), a hair less mentally. With Super Squats, you only pick up that bar one time, though those last 5 or so reps are pure hell. With Smolov, you have multiple sets so you're picking up again after you set it down; I find that to be the worst part. I found the sets of 9 to be particularly brutal, and the 5's were worse than the 7's and 3's.

In either case you must eat a metric fuck ton, sleep as much as possible, supps are strongly recommended, and prehab work (i.e. mobility, stretching, warmups, hot tubs, massages, acupuncture, witchcraft, anything that helps) is recommended. Do NOT base your rep scheme off more than 90% of your 1RM if you have never done either.

Anyway, those are my views on the two. I think both are excellent plateau busters but unnecessary if you are making progress doing anything less intense...they are a silver bullet you want to reserve for last result when all other attempts at progress in strength have failed. Super Squats is also more size-focused, though you WILL get stronger on both, and the strength gains will carry over to your deadlifts as well, even though you aren't (or shouldn't be) doing them at all for the duration of the program.

Wow, this finally got posted.
Yes I was talking about the Super Squat program published by Iron Mind. I ran it and it was a real son of a bitch in a good way. I wanted to do it because Grant Higa and Sarge Allen spoke of Jesse Marunde being an advocate of 20 reps. I bought the book, worth the price, and ran it till I plateaued after 13 workouts.
It is a mental and physical challenge, I believe in it so much that I was excited to see that Jim Wendler has incorporated 20 reps into one of the programs in 'Beyond 5/3/1' called "first set last" which I started today.
I shot all my workouts on the super squat with the intention of putting them all together in a commentary video but never got around to it. It's easier for me to do videos of others than myself, not sure why, maybe too self critical.

If you have any questions on it please let me know.

Respect,
Shukin

BigChrisF
08-25-13, 10:23 pm
I did a set of 20 tonight. God, that sucked.

Jay Nera
11-10-13, 11:56 pm

What he said^^

And...

I personally have done both.

I did super squats way back in the day when I was trying to put on size for bobsledding. It worked. My appetite was through the roof and my body weight shot up about 8 pounds. I enjoyed it. I did it for a month though because I had to start focusing on running and power cleans etc too.

Smolov was a war. It's a true love hate relationship. Week one wasn't so bad...week 2 was crazy challenging and had me on the floor with a back pump in between sets on my 9 and 7 days. Week 3 was amazing.. I went into every workout not sure if I could even complete 1 set of what was prescribed... sometimes I would cut the number of sets down 1 or 2 because they were already crazy PR's.... I spent a lot of time on the floor this program.... result.. I learned to grind a lot more but I also noticed that my squat stance widened. If you ever look at my WPC worlds in idaho falls squat on youtube you'll notice i'm wider .. ALSO.. MY DEADLIFT SHOT UP AND I DIDNT DO ANY DEADLIFTING!!

Quick summary. I would do supersquats in the off-season when I'm focusing on getting bigger.
If my knees were healthier I might consider doing the first 3 weeks of a smolov cycle again and it would be at the front end of a competition prep but I would cut the sets down each week.

Deathride
11-11-13, 5:00 am
I've done the introductory and most of the base mesocycle once and nearly saw the Black Dog on about four occasions. Ridiculous volume that has made me feel much more comfortable with 'heavy weights' (of course, this is all relative!) for higher reps....and certainly boosted my squat and deadlift strength. However, general life issues (such as working 12 hour night shifts) meant that I did have to cut a couple of sessions and had to stop shortly into week 3 - I was not recovered and just not in a place to complete it.

However, I did love every second of it and would do it again (with a bit of forward planning) in a gap between two meets! Supersquats just sounds awful....

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
11-14-13, 12:12 am
Wow that's a lot of sets an reps. I'm worn out from just reading it, Lol!

RedlegDbell
11-14-13, 12:54 am

Tremendous post Chris!! That sounds pretty horrible lol.