PDA

View Full Version : Variations/Assistance movements and weak points

J Wong
06-08-13, 6:34 pm
For the squat, bench, and deadlift...what are your weak points and which variations of the movement or assistance work do you do to bring them up?

Maccabee
06-20-13, 10:38 am
Deadlift- Lately, I have been doing deficit deadlifts and deadlifts with chains, but I know it is not considered an assistance movement. I have noticed that it helped me explode off the floor faster.

chromedome106
06-20-13, 7:30 pm
squat- out of the hole-jumps off the low box in squat stance on to high box
bench- middle to lock out- floor press and slingshot overload-band work
dead- bar speed off floor-DE deads with chains

Firefist
06-21-13, 1:00 am
Overall, I think revisiting form is an essential. Technique in general makes or breaks a lifter and if a bad habit sticks, you gotta work on getting back instead of moving forward.

I personally like squats and deads banded from the bottom. Both helped add weight in leaps and bounds to my lifts. I'm also a big fan of touch and go box squats. In my mind that quick switch of gears to the concentric portion is crucial to get that weight to start its way up. Focusing on stiff leg deads also helped a lot in both lifts.

ACarter92
06-27-13, 10:16 pm
Overall, I think revisiting form is an essential. Technique in general makes or breaks a lifter and if a bad habit sticks, you gotta work on getting back instead of moving forward.

I personally like squats and deads banded from the bottom. Both helped add weight in leaps and bounds to my lifts. I'm also a big fan of touch and go box squats. In my mind that quick switch of gears to the concentric portion is crucial to get that weight to start its way up. Focusing on stiff leg deads also helped a lot in both lifts.

x a million on technique!

I'm weak everywhere so it's just about getting in volume and making sure I have a solid set up. Exercise wise though, front squats and OH work have helped me a ton as these are lifts I never did consistently until this year.

Simon
07-03-13, 4:01 pm
x a million on technique!

I'm weak everywhere so it's just about getting in volume and making sure I have a solid set up. Exercise wise though, front squats and OH work have helped me a ton as these are lifts I never did consistently until this year.

Same here!

I havenīt found any "special exercises", which got my main lifts up faster than others. At least not to such a degree that it was very noticeable.

Technique is very important and especially finding cues that work for YOU. I have/had lots of problems falling forward in the squat and while tips like "chest up" or "hips forward" didnīt help me, i found out that i have to think "head back into the bar" and that really helps a lot.

hamlin
07-04-13, 2:09 am
Bench - from 90 degree elbow bend to lockout , I use dips, close grip, and pause bench religiously

Deadlift - off the floor - 4inch deficit deadlifts, close stance box Squats, and close stance leg press

Squats - out of the hole, pause squats, close stance pause Squats, beltless squats

If all your lifts are stalling add in a pack of cookies or a half gallon a milk a day and an extra protein shake