PDA

View Full Version : Pain.. Need some help brothas

LoneWoIf
06-09-13, 12:45 am
Iv got some pain/tightness(not sure if pain is from the tightness or not, but been stretching alot lately so not completely positive whats goin on) in my upper upper quad by my waist dont know if its my sartorious or abductor longus but I cant squat without feeling pain. When I go to drop down it feels like all the weight is on that spot and gets tremendous pain and just feels like it drains energy out of that area within a couple reps light and heavy. My squats have suffered tremendously these last few months I used to be able to sqaut 300 pds now barely 250 and thats pushin it hard. The weird thing tho is that I can do front squats just fine no pain no nothin, in my back squats I do have a little lean forward not quite as vertical as id like. Any ways guys just thought id throw it out there see if someone might have some insight for me

Riffmaster
06-09-13, 7:41 pm
Iv got some pain/tightness(not sure if pain is from the tightness or not, but been stretching alot lately so not completely positive whats goin on) in my upper upper quad by my waist dont know if its my sartorious or abductor longus but I cant squat without feeling pain. When I go to drop down it feels like all the weight is on that spot and gets tremendous pain and just feels like it drains energy out of that area within a couple reps light and heavy. My squats have suffered tremendously these last few months I used to be able to sqaut 300 pds now barely 250 and thats pushin it hard. The weird thing tho is that I can do front squats just fine no pain no nothin, in my back squats I do have a little lean forward not quite as vertical as id like. Any ways guys just thought id throw it out there see if someone might have some insight for me

I've got a buddy that is working on a master's in athletic training I'll see if he can figure out what's going on. I'll hit him up. Sorry man, that sucks.

IronWilson
06-10-13, 9:38 am
Go get a lacrosse ball. Now, lay on the lacrosse ball in the spot that is tight and roll back and forth. It will be really tender if you're in the right spot. Stay on the area that hurts the most for a little bit, then roll it out some more. You have to get some new blood into the area to wash out all of the waste products in the muscle.

If you can't back squat but can perform the front squat, it sounds like something in your posterior chain (glutes, hamstrings, etc.) isn't activating properly. Whatever the particular culprit is, it seems like your quads are a lot stronger than whatever the culprit is in your posterior chain, which makes the front of your legs bear most of the weight while back-squatting. This area isn't really meant for this, so this is why you're in pain.

For now, I would cut out the back squat and do the front squat, concentrating on breaking at the hips and getting down deep while squeezing your glutes. Glute-Ham raises should also be your friend here. Prioritize other posterior exercises as well, such as the Romanian Deadlift or Reverse Hyperextension.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you might be flexing your quads a little too much on the way down when squatting. Bodyweight squats while squeezing the glutes will help you get into the pattern of activating glutes/hams first in the squat.

Whatever you do, just don't ignore the issue or it will get worse for sure.