PDA

View Full Version : Back Injury and Training Around It

bashk
06-10-13, 10:26 pm
About a week ago I did something to my back.. while I was deadlifting I felt a slight pop in my lower back. Since then, my lower back has pretty much been outta wack. What could possibly have happened? And how can I train around it?

Lone Wolf
06-11-13, 12:29 am
About a week ago I did something to my back.. while I was deadlifting I felt a slight pop in my lower back. Since then, my lower back has pretty much been outta wack. What could possibly have happened? And how can I train around it?

You probably had bad form, bended/slouched back. Just do anything that doesn't hurt your back. Take it easy for a week or so. I snapped my shit up deadlifting too; I didn't take a break/take it easy, all I did was buy a belt. I just go through the pain, but ever since I started using a belt, I feel minimal to no pain at all. Try doing seated rows, machine rows, basically anything that doesn't hurt the lower back. I saw my doctor as well and he gave me some muscle relaxers and that eased the pain as well. So to sum up it all up: Take it easy, you don't want to injure it more, if it's really bad after a week see your doctor, and get a belt.

rainman
06-12-13, 3:18 pm
If you felt a pop then it could be something quite serious. If you can, I'd try and get to see a Physio. They will be more help than an internet diagnosis I'm afraid. If the pain has gone away then drop the weight and build back up slowly. If you think it may be your form then try and get a video from a side angle to check yourself out. Play around with rep ranges and stance, but don't take any chances where your back is concerned.

You probably had bad form, bended/slouched back. Just do anything that doesn't hurt your back. Take it easy for a week or so. I snapped my shit up deadlifting too; I didn't take a break/take it easy, all I did was buy a belt.
For what it's worth, buying a belt isn't the answer if you have bad form. Dropping the weight and concentrating on the method is. I use a belt only when I'm about 70-80% of my 1 rep max. Having a strong core will improve your deadlifting more than a belt will in my opinion.

Lone Wolf
06-12-13, 10:04 pm
If you felt a pop then it could be something quite serious. If you can, I'd try and get to see a Physio. They will be more help than an internet diagnosis I'm afraid. If the pain has gone away then drop the weight and build back up slowly. If you think it may be your form then try and get a video from a side angle to check yourself out. Play around with rep ranges and stance, but don't take any chances where your back is concerned.

For what it's worth, buying a belt isn't the answer if you have bad form. Dropping the weight and concentrating on the method is. I use a belt only when I'm about 70-80% of my 1 rep max. Having a strong core will improve your deadlifting more than a belt will in my opinion.

This is just from my personal experience, as I have a terrible back. Buying a belt helped for me, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work for everybody. Overall, a trip to the doc would be best. From there he/she can tell you if you need a chiropractor or just need a break from the gym for a week.