PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to take a moment and thank you

CrystalLake
06-11-13, 2:35 pm
I just want to take the time to thank Animal and some guys here, for who you are, and what you guys represent to me. You’re more than just a supplement company. You guys seriously change lives. First though, you’ll have to sit through a backstory on me, as not a whole lotta people know.

In High School I was ambitious. Star football player, weightlifter, artist and goal setter. Fast forward through College and till my mid-20s. Something went wrong. Drug abuse, alcohol issues, and just “got by” to graduate college and make my parents happy. I pretty much quit everything I did as a hobby and focused on what was going on that night in terms of partying. I spend my paychecks on booze then bills. I lost friends due to me being a jerk, my family was getting pissed, and jobs would be a blur.

I remember one year I was too broke around my Dad’s birthday, so I picked up 2 $10 tickets to the Arnold Classic since he was a bodybuilder for years (he’s 72 now). Due to his age and not being able to get around, he had to pass on the tickets. This was around the same time I met my (now) fiancé, so I asked her to go with me.

I really didn’t know what to expect since I was out of that scene for almost 7 years. I got there and saw The Cage. I recognized the Animal logo from tshirts on guys I’d see around town, but had no idea it was a weightlifting company. I just sat and watched what was going on for almost 2 hours, and I was more impressed then, than anything I’ve seen in my life.

I went home that next day and all I could do was hop online and just go through Animal articles, the FORVM, BB.com, etc. and just learn more. I was still in shock on “how cool” my experience was. I had to know more about the Animal brand.

That was when something just hit me. I wanted to prove to myself, and my (now) fiancé that I am that ambitious kid deep inside. Not some slouch that doesn’t deserve her. I hit up naturalguy on the BB.com forums since I recognized him from the event, and just started talking to him. I probably asked 100 stupid questions, but I was determined to gain the knowledge I needed. I started watching YouTube videos of all the pros and listening to what they were all about. I went back to the gym and got my life back together.

I truly believe through weightlifting, exercising and proper dieting, it really teaches you something deep down inside. Animal came in after and taught me one of the greatest lessons- Integrity.

3 years later, I am now training for my first NPC bodybuilding competition in 2 weeks. Also, I got that spark to pursue my art career, and most of all- the booze and drugs have stopped. All I think about these days is being a better person, and staying true to my word. Throughout the past 3 years, my journey couldn’t have been better. I can only imagine what the future has for me.

Special thanks to naturalguy for helping me out, and meeting with me at The Cage and the ABC in Akron, C.Coronato for the diet back in the winter that after a few months on, I knew I wanted to compete. And for House and Ox, as your YouTube videos, and meeting with you guys at events always made me feel like that there was more to bodybuilding than being in the gym.

And to everyone here that had the 10 minutes to read this, I thank you.

Just remember, it all started with a trip to The Cage that I didn’t know existed.

Firefist
06-11-13, 2:43 pm
Hell yeah brother, good on you.

Animal
06-11-13, 2:43 pm
What an awesome post, thanks for sharing. As dumb or as cheesy as this may sound, we take our job here very seriously and know that we are responsible not only for nurturing Animal but also our fans. We know we have the ability to really touch people and change lives, and so this is something we take very seriously. All it takes is just one simple thing, like your experience in The Cage, that can turn a fan into family. Glad you are a part of the Animal Brotherhood. Best of luck and definitely remember what you said – that bodybuilding is more than just training in the gym. Bodybuilding is a way to see life in a positive, uplifting way.

naturalguy
06-11-13, 2:49 pm
This post made my day, glad that we could be a part of your process and helping to get you on the right path. It takes a lot of heart and guts to change your life around. I'll be waiting to hear the results from your contest. Finish these last two weeks strong!

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
06-11-13, 3:41 pm
This is what it's all about. So proud to be a part of the Legion.

J-Dawg
06-11-13, 4:10 pm
Thanks for sharing this CL. Very awesome to hear what an impact Animal and The Cage had on you!

Best of luck in your upcoming bodybuilding contest in 2 weeks. Curious to hear how the whole experience is for you. Keep us posted!

Dman
06-11-13, 4:18 pm
Thats Awesome you've turned your life around like that and nothn but respect to you for doing so,Animal def is above the rest and it shows. Wish you well on your bodybuilding journey CrystalLake!!

STRONGmanmike
06-11-13, 4:58 pm
Hey brother that's awesome, it takes guts to step up to the plate and make major changes like that, especially when certain friends and people around you might not understand. I'm new to the FORVM myself but I can already tell that this is a tight knit community and everyone has eachother's backs. keep grinding bro!

CrystalLake
06-12-13, 10:16 am
Thanks guys! I'm actually going to post some progress pics this week. It's almost surreal the physical changes. But most of all, I changed mentally.

As for the experience as a whole- it was a bit difficult at first. I mean, when you see your body at 16/19 weeks out when I decided this was what I wanted, the 100% confidence wasn't there. As I developed, and saw progress, my confidence, mood, and goal just became a priority. Shit, the first time in 30 years I saw my abs at 7 weeks out. Everyone said that "dieting sucks, and you'll hate cardio." I say screw that attitude. If you go in with a negative attitude, you'll achieve negative results. I made it my priority to enjoy this whole process, this journey, and I think that's where my success will be. When it becomes a job, is when the hunger stops.

Universal Rep
06-12-13, 10:23 am
Thanks guys! I'm actually going to post some progress pics this week. It's almost surreal the physical changes. But most of all, I changed mentally.

As for the experience as a whole- it was a bit difficult at first. I mean, when you see your body at 16/19 weeks out when I decided this was what I wanted, the 100% confidence wasn't there. As I developed, and saw progress, my confidence, mood, and goal just became a priority. Shit, the first time in 30 years I saw my abs at 7 weeks out. Everyone said that "dieting sucks, and you'll hate cardio." I say screw that attitude. If you go in with a negative attitude, you'll achieve negative results. I made it my priority to enjoy this whole process, this journey, and I think that's where my success will be. When it becomes a job, is when the hunger stops.

Def brotha, post those pics... I agree with ya 100%. How ya transform the physical is but a reflection of the changes that have taken place under the surface... No great athlete, no great man, can be great without that inner fortitude and character. Thats the stuff that drives everything else. To me, reading ur words, thats wut came across loud and clear. How ya owned up to your past, decided to make a change, and made it. Awesome brotha... Keep drivin forward.

CrystalLake
07-01-13, 3:55 pm
Just wanna let you guys know I came in 5th place in my weight class! Extremely happy with everything overall, and I can only move forward from here. Saw Josh Halladay there, and spent some time talking to him about the future. Can't wait to keep going and compete again in 2014.

Here's a pic backstage before pre-judging.

http://joneallen.com/img/jon-philly.jpg

Animal Rep
07-01-13, 4:40 pm
Congrats on the placing. Glad we could contribute to your success. Glad to have you as a part of our family.