PDA

View Full Version : Be a stick or grow some stones

Bruiser
06-17-13, 8:27 am
I've been noticing something more and more as I'm sure you all have. First off, let me say congrats to anyone who steps into a gym. I don't care if it's just for cardio, Zumba, yoga, ab work or to curl in the squat rack. Doesn't matter if your a cardio bunny, curl bro or "bodybuilder" who doesn't deadlift or train legs. You got off your ass and are doing SOMETHING! Thank you. Now let the rant begin...

We've got free HBO for 3 months so I decided to check out the show True Blood. Turns out to be a pretty good show (shut up). What bugs the hell out of me is the one actor, Ryan Kwanten. They show him more without a shirt than they do with one. So clearly he's who is supposed to be the "hot guy" on the show. Okay, he's got abs. But that's it! One episode he was wearing a button down shirt and he looked like he just walked out of the Apple Genius Bar! Skinny as shit and looks like he's 12! WTF?! Okay, I know I'm not the biggest guy. At the JTS Seminar I looked like a midget. But I'm over 240 at 5'11". Nine times outta ten I'm the biggest guy in the room, by far. I might have some love handles and more than a little junk in my trunk, but nobody is ever gonna ask me for tech support. I can wear a hoodie and people say, "that's a big MFer right there!". No mistaking it. So you can have your abs and brag about how much time you put in at the gym. You see? I don't need to tell people that I go to the gym. All they have to do is look.

Riffmaster
08-06-13, 10:09 pm
Not to mention those that count tanning sessions as gym time..

Beowulf
08-07-13, 9:42 am
I've been noticing something more and more as I'm sure you all have. First off, let me say congrats to anyone who steps into a gym. I don't care if it's just for cardio, Zumba, yoga, ab work or to curl in the squat rack. Doesn't matter if your a cardio bunny, curl bro or "bodybuilder" who doesn't deadlift or train legs. You got off your ass and are doing SOMETHING! Thank you. Now let the rant begin...

We've got free HBO for 3 months so I decided to check out the show True Blood. Turns out to be a pretty good show (shut up). What bugs the hell out of me is the one actor, Ryan Kwanten. They show him more without a shirt than they do with one. So clearly he's who is supposed to be the "hot guy" on the show. Okay, he's got abs. But that's it! One episode he was wearing a button down shirt and he looked like he just walked out of the Apple Genius Bar! Skinny as shit and looks like he's 12! WTF?! Okay, I know I'm not the biggest guy. At the JTS Seminar I looked like a midget. But I'm over 240 at 5'11". Nine times outta ten I'm the biggest guy in the room, by far. I might have some love handles and more than a little junk in my trunk, but nobody is ever gonna ask me for tech support. I can wear a hoodie and people say, "that's a big MFer right there!". No mistaking it. So you can have your abs and brag about how much time you put in at the gym. You see? I don't need to tell people that I go to the gym. All they have to do is look.

So you valorize size at the expense of conditioning ("love handles","junk in the trunk"). That's great and that's your approach. But who is to say this is fundamentally better than Ryan Kwanten, a guy who obviously put work in the gym to achieve a pretty impressive level of conditioning? Let's stop judging and be united in the fact that we are all lifters who train hard. After all, isn't this the Animal way, that brotherhood everyone talks about? I'm pretty sure that in The Cage, for example, no on is turned away because he looks skinny to you. Look around here. You see bodybuilders and see powerlifters. Do you see one group complaining about the other? I don't. I'm also pretty sure Ryan doesn't go around telling people that he goes to the gym.

Riffmaster
08-07-13, 11:03 am
So you valorize size at the expense of conditioning ("love handles","junk in the trunk"). That's great and that's your approach. But who is to say this is fundamentally better than Ryan Kwanten, a guy who obviously put work in the gym to achieve a pretty impressive level of conditioning? Let's stop judging and be united in the fact that we are all lifters who train hard. After all, isn't this the Animal way, that brotherhood everyone talks about? I'm pretty sure that in The Cage, for example, no on is turned away because he looks skinny to you. Look around here. You see bodybuilders and see powerlifters. Do you see one group complaining about the other? I don't. I'm also pretty sure Ryan doesn't go around telling people that he goes to the gym.

That is a good point man. He at least is doing something active. I think he wasn't meaning to be disrespectful, he was just saying that it's funny how media presents things (I think). They just pick pretty people for powerful roles. Arnold was by no means pretty, but, the dude looked like he could handle things.

Jay
08-07-13, 11:27 am
Isn't it the truth Bruiser. More people are 'attracted' to that. This guy could squat 135 for reps (maybe) but they wouldn't show a shirtless guy who can squat 405 for reps. Guess its all about the publicity and to get people to watch the show.

I always laugh at the guys that are at my gym that are maybe 140-150pds wearing a tank top and have to wipe the sweat off their brow by lifting up their shirt and stairing at their six pack in the mirror. smh

G Diesel
08-07-13, 11:51 am
I lift weights. I have for a long time. It is important to me.

But really, who gives a shit?

I do this for me and it is personal. I'll never be the biggest dude in the world and I sure as hell could be in better condition, but I like that about our lifestyle. It is an ongoing process of self-improvement.

I'm so over the thinking I'm better than anybody else because I can squat more or my t-shirt is bigger. Seriously, who cares? There's gotta be more to who we are than just muscles.

The dude on True Blood does what he does for him, and it sure seems to be serving him well.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
08-07-13, 11:59 am

I do this for me and it is personal. I'll never be the biggest dude in the world and I sure as hell could be in better condition, but I like that about our lifestyle. It is an ongoing process of self-improvement.

I'm so over the thinking I'm better than anybody else because I can squat more or my t-shirt is bigger. Seriously, who cares? There's gotta be more to who we are than just muscles.

The dude on True Blood does what he does for him, and it sure seems to be serving him well.

Peace, G

In my experience Ive often found that criticism flows from insecurity... From ur post its clear ur confident about who ya are.

Firefist
08-07-13, 12:31 pm
We all have different goals man. Different people gravitate towards different things whether we agree or not. If its working for him, good for him. If what you're doing is working for you, awesome. If there is one hard pill of a lesson to swallow in life, its this:

You can't hate the hustle.

If someone is doing better than me, he's probably grinding harder than I am towards his goal and making the most out of his opportunities. Sure, luck of the draw lands some folks in rich families or other fortunate situations. Chance is all I chalk that up to, and you can't fault anyone for that. Even if the individual is a shitty personality, it doesn't matter. Thats on the person, and because the hustle doesn't discriminate, neither should you.

The dude from true blood is getting his shine on, making bank and drawing legions of flocking women to him. Who am I to say thats wrong? Good for that guy, he made it to his version of the big leagues.

To quote one of the greatest,

"All the ladies they love me, from the bleachers they screaming
All the ballers is bouncing they like the way I be leaning
All the rappers be hating, off the track that I'm making
But all the hustlers they love it just to see one of us make it"

G Diesel
08-07-13, 1:01 pm
We all have different goals man. Different people gravitate towards different things whether we agree or not. If its working for him, good for him. If what you're doing is working for you, awesome. If there is one hard pill of a lesson to swallow in life, its this:

If someone is doing better than me, he's probably grinding harder than I am towards his goal and making the most out of his opportunities. Sure, luck of the draw lands some folks in rich families or other fortunate situations. Chance is all I chalk that up to, and you can't fault anyone for that. Even if the individual is a shitty personality, it doesn't matter. Thats on the person, and because the hustle doesn't discriminate, neither should you.

The dude from true blood is getting his shine on, making bank and drawing legions of flocking women to him. Who am I to say thats wrong? Good for that guy, he made it to his version of the big leagues.

Church.

I love nothing more than reading shit that is so on point that I wish I wrote it.

Peace, G

Cellardweller
08-07-13, 1:11 pm
I think he wasn't meaning to be disrespectful, he was just saying that it's funny how media presents things

^This. B started his post off saying good on you for going to the gym no matter what you personal goals are.

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 1:20 pm

Air brushing my friend. They can even generate abs, hence the entire cast of 300.

Bruiser's point is why does the media idolize shrimpy guys who simply have abs because they are naturally stick like. It's like big boobs on a fat chick, it doesn't count because they're always there and no work was really put in to develop them.

*They don't want a nation of healthy and jacked men running around with high testosterone. CAN'T HAVE THAT! We won't be so docile and controllable that way, precisely why anorexic beta male types with estrogen ridden baby skin are so upheld by the globalist media. They're socially programming the masses to believe that is what it means to be a man. It's basically a psy-op with hollywood as the medium and or catalyst.

That is a good point man. He at least is doing something active. I think he wasn't meaning to be disrespectful, he was just saying that it's funny how media presents things (I think). They just pick pretty people for powerful roles. Arnold was by no means pretty, but, the dude looked like he could handle things.

You can't prove he's doing anything physical. Odds are he is just a naturally slim guy that's always had abs. Most thespians do ZERO weight training unless their part is dependent on it and after they fulfill the role, they quit lifting.

*I stand with Bruiser and do not like what's being forced down the throats of society and convincing younger generations that this is the way men should be.

Bruiser
08-07-13, 1:22 pm

Did you even read the opening paragraph? My whole point is that I don't get it! Here's a guy who if he was just walking around in a shirt women wouldn't even look twice at but because he's got abs when he takes it off, the go nuts! That's my point. It's just friggin weird. And if you wanna talk conditioning, I train MMA. So mine is on point.

Exactly!

Isn't it the truth Bruiser. More people are 'attracted' to that. This guy could squat 135 for reps (maybe) but they wouldn't show a shirtless guy who can squat 405 for reps. Guess its all about the publicity and to get people to watch the show.

I always laugh at the guys that are at my gym that are maybe 140-150pds wearing a tank top and have to wipe the sweat off their brow by lifting up their shirt and stairing at their six pack in the mirror. smh

Precisely.

Peace, G

I wasn't trying to say I was better or anything like that. My point is I don't get why skinny with abs is considered ripped. Doesn't make sense.

In my experience Ive often found that criticism flows from insecurity... From ur post its clear ur confident about who ya are.

No insecurity here.

Church.

I love nothing more than reading shit that is so on point that I wish I wrote it.

Peace, G

Once again, did anyone actually read the whole first post. It wasn't against the actor it's against the fact that some dude who looks anorexic is considered ripped by today's standards. It don't make sense.

^This. B started his post off saying good on you for going to the gym no matter what you personal goals are.

Thanks bud. You got it.

Bruiser
08-07-13, 1:23 pm
Air brushing my friend. They can even generate abs, hence the entire cast of 300.

Bruiser's point is why does the media idolize shrimpy guys who simply have abs because they are naturally stick like. It's like big boobs on a fat chick, it doesn't count because they're always there and no work was really put in to develop them.

*They don't want a nation of healthy and jacked men running around with high testosterone. CAN'T HAVE THAT! We won't be so docile and controllable that way, precisely why anorexic beta male types with estrogen ridden baby skin are so upheld by the globalist media. They're socially programming the masses to believe that is what it means to be a man. It's basically a psy-op with hollywood as the medium and or catalyst.

You can't prove he's doing anything physical. Odds are he is just a naturally slim guy that's always had abs. Most thespians do ZERO weight training unless their part is dependent on it and after they fulfill the role, they quit lifting.

*I stand with Bruiser and do not like what's being forced down the throats of society and convincing younger generations that this is the way men should be.

Damn it... once again, I agree 100% with AB.

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 1:24 pm
Damn it... once again, I agree 100% with AB.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm right way too much, folks just don't want to admit that because they're afraid I'll develop a bigger head!

Don't know if that's possible, I wear a 7 & 3/4 hat =)

*On a more serious note, it's an Alpha thing. There aren't many of us out there and we know how one another thinks.

Cellardweller
08-07-13, 1:31 pm
I wear a 7 & 3/4 hat =)

Shouldn't that be in your sig?

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 1:33 pm
Shouldn't that be in your sig?

Hatin are we? =)

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 1:36 pm

Sounds as if you're describing yourself. The insecure see insecurity, not vice versa.

Just because someone disagrees with the norm, does not make them insecure or what have you.

*Funny how when someone breaks away from the masses or societal norms how quickly they are turned upon.

Cellardweller
08-07-13, 1:37 pm
Nope. Just messing with ya. ;)

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 1:38 pm
Nope. Just messing with ya. ;)

I know =) I have to play back or people think I don't like them and or are snobby. I don't like coming across that way.

G Diesel
08-07-13, 1:48 pm

I don't know where anyone is forcing anything down our throats. Or where society is so scared of big guys or whatever that they're socially programming us through the global media. This is a crazy fucking notion.

If there are less guys out there like you or I or Bruiser of whatever... Good. I don't want to be like the standard societal norm in any way, in any aspect of my life. I do my own thing, just like you do yours and the guy on True Blood does his. And rightfully so. We all value different shit and hopefully our own personal tastes and inclinations serve us well along the way.

Peace, G

G Diesel
08-07-13, 1:50 pm
*Funny how when someone breaks away from the masses or societal norms how quickly they are turned upon.

In the small pond where this conversation is taking place, you share the majority opinion. You get that, right? Yours is the popular and thus safe perspective.

Peace, G

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 1:51 pm
In the small pond where this conversation is taking place, you share the majority opinion. You get that, right? Yours is the popular and thus safe perspective.

Peace, G

In the small pond where this conversation is taking place, Bruiser and I are the majority? That's not what I'm understanding from the posts above. Most are neutral or support the other side.

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 1:53 pm
I don't know where anyone is forcing anything down our throats. Or where society is so scared of big guys or whatever that they're socially programming us through the global media. This is a crazy fucking notion.

If there are less guys out there like you or I or Bruiser of whatever... Good. I don't want to be like the standard societal norm in any way, in any aspect of my life. I do my own thing, just like you do yours and the guy on True Blood does his. And rightfully so. We all value different shit and hopefully our own personal tastes and inclinations serve us well along the way.

Peace, G

It's only crazy because you've never pondered it.

I agree with your second point. It will always be that way due to various societal norms and programming.

G Diesel
08-07-13, 1:54 pm
In the small pond where this conversation is taking place, Bruiser and I are the majority? That's not what I'm understanding from the posts above. Most are neutral or support the other side.

We're on a bodybuilding message board, where (in general) everyone is striving towards a large, hyper-muscular ideal.

Peace, G

rainman
08-07-13, 1:56 pm
I think I replied in Bruiser's Journey on this topic a while back, but I believe a lot of it is down to the boom of the contraceptive pill. As it has become more mainstream, women are no longer looking for the 'alpha male' figure due to hormones being affected and this is where the skinny, less intimidating look has come from. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Bruiser
08-07-13, 1:56 pm
G Diesel or URep...

Just close this thread and be done with it before someone says something to get themselves banned. I keep forgetting that whenever I share an opinion it turns into a shit storm. Just end this and I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 2:00 pm
G Diesel or URep...

Just close this thread and be done with it before someone says something to get themselves banned. I keep forgetting that whenever I share an opinion it turns into a shit storm. Just end this and I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

It's ok to express your opinion, Leigh! Don't worry about me. I can handle my own.

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 2:01 pm
I think I replied in Bruiser's Journey on this topic a while back, but I believe a lot of it is down to the boom of the contraceptive pill. As it has become more mainstream, women are no longer looking for the 'alpha male' figure due to hormones being affected and this is where the skinny, less intimidating look has come from. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Brilliant! Ok that makes three of us on this thread =)

G Diesel
08-07-13, 2:05 pm

No, I just don't truly believe that the government or media or society has some inherent prejudice toward big muscular guys. I've joked that BIGotry means "discrimination against those who are jacked." But it was a joke.

But in all honesty, my size has only served me well in life. Being different is a good thing.

Peace, G

G Diesel
08-07-13, 2:07 pm
G Diesel or URep...

Man it ain't that serious and I'm not banning anybody.

Just debating with my boys. We need that shit once in a while around here.

I respect you and AB and your opinions and I may even have shared them in the past. Different perspectives are a good thing.

Peace, G

rainman
08-07-13, 2:09 pm
Brilliant! Ok that makes three of us on this thread =)

I was going to post a topic with a similar theme a while back about the new Total Recall film. Back when I was growing up, Schwarzenegger was THE action hero. Now, in the wholly unnecessary remake, we get Colin Farrell. Johnny Depp, Ewan McGreggor, Russell Brand etc., are all sex symbols now. Times change. I think we can all agree on that.

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 2:13 pm
No, I just don't truly believe that the government or media or society has some inherent prejudice toward big muscular guys. I've joked that BIGotry means "discrimination against those who are jacked."

But in all honesty, my size has only served me well in life. Being different is a good thing.

Peace, G

It is scary, I'll admit at how powerful forces beyond our government are regarding social engineering for one. The research on these forces will reveal things you really don't want to know exist, wish I still had my head in the sand (not referring to you or anyone in particular)!

It goes beyond destroying men and testosterone through many various functions.

*Couldn't agree more on the second part, but to be truly different you must break away from society and the system as much as you can. You've got to look beyond what is put right in front of you.

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 2:13 pm
I was going to post a topic with a similar theme a while back about the new Total Recall film. Back when I was growing up, Schwarzenegger was THE action hero. Now, in the wholly unnecessary remake, we get Colin Farrell. Johnny Depp, Ewan McGreggor, Russell Brand etc., are all sex symbols now. Times change. I think we can all agree on that.

More evidence supporting our points.

Beowulf
08-07-13, 2:17 pm
Did you even read the opening paragraph? My whole point is that I don't get it! Here's a guy who if he was just walking around in a shirt women wouldn't even look twice at but because he's got abs when he takes it off, the go nuts! That's my point. It's just friggin weird. And if you wanna talk conditioning, I train MMA. So mine is on point.

Yes, I did. But I read that as a thinly veiled attempt to justify the "rant" that came after. You know, where you basically went all ad hominem on him with your comments like "skinny as shit", "looks like he's 12" and the whole "just walked out of the Apple Genius Bar". Why attack him personally? What has he done to you? So what if he gets attention from the ladies because he has abs? Why do you even care? I don't. More power to him.

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 2:19 pm
Yes, I did. But I read that as a thinly veiled attempt to justify the "rant" that came after. You know, where you basically went all ad hominem on him with your comments like "skinny as shit", "looks like he's 12" and the whole "just walked out of the Apple Genius Bar". Why attack him personally? What has he done to you? So what if he gets attention from the ladies because he has abs? Why do you even care? I don't. More power to him.

Valid point.

Beowulf
08-07-13, 2:22 pm

Forced down our throats? Turn off the TV. Get rid of HBO and cable. Relax and take a breath. Maybe spend some time outdoors. Seriously, no one is forcing anything down anyone's throat. The media is not "idolizing" anyone. They're just giving us what they think the viewing public wants. It doesn't come out of place of bad intentions. Maybe just intellectual laziness. The truth is, the public doesn't want to look at or like pro bodybuilders or world class powerlifters. So what? It's not the end of the world. I'd like to think people have agency, that they can decide for themselves what they want to look like and who they want to emulate. For the rest who can't think for themselves, is it our job to think for them?

Bruiser
08-07-13, 2:24 pm
G Diesel or URep...

Repeat. Just close the fucking thread.

Beowulf
08-07-13, 2:25 pm
Repeat. Just close the fucking thread.

This is a good, honest discussion. Plenty of civility. I don't see a problem with this thread at all.

Bruiser
08-07-13, 2:32 pm
This is a good, honest discussion. Plenty of civility. I don't see a problem with this thread at all.

There will be if I respond to you...

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 3:14 pm
Forced down our throats? Turn off the TV. Get rid of HBO and cable. Relax and take a breath. Maybe spend some time outdoors. Seriously, no one is forcing anything down anyone's throat. The media is not "idolizing" anyone. They're just giving us what they think the viewing public wants. It doesn't come out of place of bad intentions. Maybe just intellectual laziness. The truth is, the public doesn't want to look at or like pro bodybuilders or world class powerlifters. So what? It's not the end of the world. I'd like to think people have agency, that they can decide for themselves what they want to look like and who they want to emulate. For the rest who can't think for themselves, is it our job to think for them?

I don't watch tv, at all actually.

You completely missed the point, but it's what I've come to expect.

=)

Firefist
08-07-13, 3:17 pm

I agree with your second point. It will always be that way due to various societal norms and programming.

There hasn't been a good debate around here in a while, so lets keep this going shall we? I'm sure no one means any disrespect in their posts.

So the point being made in this debate is that it's the media and public's fault for glorifying a form, body, political platform, style into what is most socially acceptable? We don't understand why sheeple chose to listen to these people, aspire to look like them, etc.? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just disagree with your sentiments. My question is this:

Would the world be right in your eyes if the lead roles were replaced by only top NPC competitors? No more gosling, no more depp, etc.? But why? Just because YOU don't think its right? So everyone should have the same outlook as you on ALL social points, or its wrong?

In essence you guys are asking, why isn't everyone else on the same page as you on these social issues. You don't understand why its so appealing to the masses. To be 100% honest, I don't either. But in the same sense, I don't think about it, and I sure as hell don't care that other people are all about them. Just do you and let the masses carry on. Why does it matter to you who or what the majority of the population chooses to fantasize over? If your conditioning is solid because you train MMA, great. But why are the people who love the true blood dude and the guy himself wrong because his conditioning (or in your eyes, lack thereof) may be strictly cosmetic or genetic? It doesn't matter if he is or isn't doing anything physical. He's getting his, and the people love him for it.

I'm sure there were people in Arnold's prime who were asking the same thing that you are now. "Why do people like the way he looks?" In essence, you and that group are arguing for the same team, and thats the team not accepting towards what is pinned as desirable at the moment. Being an avid supporter of Bigorexia isn't wrong at all, until you start toting that people are wrong or weird because they like something you can't get behind.

Why do girls scream and chase guys like true blood dude with their shirts off but don't for you in your 2xl hoodie that you worked hard to grow into? Who knows. But really, who cares? Let them do what they want to do, and you do what you love to do.

Altered Beast
08-07-13, 3:38 pm
*Bruiser's point is why does the media idolize shrimpy guys who simply have abs because they are naturally stick like?

Why doesn't the media, hollywood or whomever swoon over more alpha types? Why was there SO much controversy when the jacked and tan actor that played Thor was brought to the masses? I ask the question and I'll AGAIN provide the answer. First, it offends too many of the weak, fat and or boney masses that comprise our country. They don't want a nation of healthy and jacked men running around with high testosterone. CAN'T HAVE THAT! We won't be so docile and controllable that way, precisely why anorexic beta male types with estrogen ridden baby skin are so upheld by the globalist media. They're socially programming the masses to believe that is what it means to be a man. It's basically a psy-op with hollywood as the medium and or catalyst.

That is the point Leigh was trying to make.

**Please answer this question, why is it so constroversial with actors like Stallone or Schwarzenegger? The actor that played Thor or Vin Diesel? No one questions a 5'5 guy that weighs 140 pounds plays a role, so why the more alpha types that seem to inspire the masses to better themselves through lifting and nutrition? I pretty much answered my own question, but regardless I want to hear answers to the question above.

Firefist
08-07-13, 3:58 pm
*Bruiser's point is why does the media idolize shrimpy guys who simply have abs because they are naturally stick like?

Why doesn't the media, hollywood or whomever swoon over more alpha types? Why was there SO much controversy when the jacked and tan actor that played Thor was brought to the masses? I ask the question and I'll AGAIN provide the answer. First, it offends too many of the weak, fat and or boney masses that comprise our country. They don't want a nation of healthy and jacked men running around with high testosterone. CAN'T HAVE THAT! We won't be so docile and controllable that way, precisely why anorexic beta male types with estrogen ridden baby skin are so upheld by the globalist media. They're socially programming the masses to believe that is what it means to be a man. It's basically a psy-op with hollywood as the medium and or catalyst.

**Please answer this question, why is it so constroversial with actors like Stallone or Schwarzenegger? The actor that played Thor or Vin Diesel? No one questions a 5'5 guy that weighs 140 pounds plays a role, so why the more alpha types that seem to inspire the masses to better themselves through lifting and nutrition? I pretty much answered my own question, but regardless I want to hear answers to the question above.

I'm sorry, but are we correlating the media choosing thinner actors with (sometimes without) abs to the government controlling the media via said actors to oppress and keep the population docile and controllable? If we are talking political conspiracies, count me out of this thread and keep politics off the forum.

You ever think that the powers that be chose their actors based on the movies they are shooting? Why the hell would someone pick Jay Cutler to play a character in any Nicholas Sparks book? How are you gonna shot The Conjuring starring Ronnie Coleman? Throwing jacked people into movies and shows for the sake of being jacked? Why wouldn't they just find someone who fits the role the story calls for? Oh wait, they do. And I don't understand why is it controversial but I'll be honest, I didn't know it was a controversial topic in the first place nor do I spend time worrying about which celebrities spark controversy. And are you kidding me? The media isn't swooning over The Rock at all? He doesn't have millions of followers retweeting workout pics and motivational quotes? He isn't glorified in interviews? Good Morning America and every talk show on the TV hasn't shown Hugh Jackman deadlifting in the gym from this week? So those guys aren't inspiring the masses to make changes based on diet and training, right?

G Diesel
08-07-13, 4:36 pm

Why is what so controversial?

I like all of those guys, but none of them are great actors. They're more symbols or representatives of an alpha male archetype.

Peace, G

G Diesel
08-07-13, 4:50 pm
The real tragedy is how a breed of men who paid dues and lived their life by a code, in service to their family, God, country and did so with honor, is dying off every day.

They paved the way for our generation to have the luxury to care so much about looks and material things and to take "selfies" in the mirror with their cell phones.

Peace, G

Universal Rep
08-07-13, 4:55 pm

Heres my take. The media dont "idolize" anyone. The media aint a person. People make the mistake of talkin about the media like it wuz a person. I think its way too easy for people to blame the "media" all the time from people who complain about politics, violence or the general downfall of our society. Whether its newspapers, TV or movies, what are the people in control thinkin about? The bottom line, thats wut.... How to sell more papers and more tickets. How to get richer and more famous. More powerful. Its pretty simple I think. So when it comes to the bottom line, wut are movie producers and newspaper editors gonna focus on? Stuff that will sell. Stuff that they BELIEVE will appeal to the masses so that they can sell more. In other words, the media is a reflection of our wants and needs. Us. The masses. Now Im not sayin its accurate. Im just sayin media is for consumption and ya cant have consumption without the people. The more the merrier. There is no massive global conspiracy. So if ya ask me, if ya wanna blame anyone, blame us... I mean "us" as society at large. Mebbe ya can blame the media for misinerpreting our wants and needs, but again, there is no conspiracy. You may not believe this, but the average Joe dont think bodybuilders are healthy. They dont think bodybuildin is a healthy lifestyle at all. They think its full of drugs and unhealthy obsessions. Just look at the backlash in baseball right now and multiply by that 1000.

Riffmaster
08-07-13, 6:53 pm
The real tragedy is how a breed of men who paid dues and lived their life by a code, in service to their family, God, country and did so with honor, is dying off every day.

They paved the way for our generation to have the luxury to care so much about looks and material things and to take "selfies" in the mirror with their cell phones.

Peace, G

All too true.

Kowboy
08-08-13, 11:56 am
I think some of it as well has to do with what women want to look at. I bet if you put a pic of Ox and then Ryan 95% of the time they are going for Ryan.

Riffmaster
08-08-13, 11:59 am
I think some of it as well has to do with what women want to look at. I bet if you put a pic of Ox and then Ryan 95% of the time they are going for Ryan.

Right on the nose my friend.

Kowboy
08-08-13, 12:03 pm
Just using my own personal beliefs, I love the superfit muscular women. You never see them on TV but when you ask most guys they think its gross.

GUNS
08-12-13, 11:24 am
From Lift-Run-Bang's Paul Carter

To keep things in perspective a bit.

For those of us that train, we're just lifting weights. By our own choice.

We're not saving kids from rebel Armies in Congo. Or curing cancer.

We aren't performing heart transplants on little babies to give them a chance at life.

We aren't making a difference in the world, except in our own. Which is fine. However lifting weights has about as much effect on the rest of the world as you watching the game on Sunday afternoons.

That is, very little except to the people directly involved in your life.

Just keep that in mind the next time you decide to ruin someones day that does live in "your world" because your workout sucked, or shit is not going right in your training.

Try not to make it a bigger fucking deal than it is.

"But I LIVE this shit!"

Live for something more, then. Live for your kids, or your spouse, or your mom and dad, or something bigger than picking things up and putting them down.

Lifting weights should always just be something that you do, and never who you are.

Swolepez
08-13-13, 10:06 pm

We aren't performing heart transplants on little babies to give them a chance at life.

We aren't making a difference in the world, except in our own. Which is fine. However lifting weights has about as much effect on the rest of the world as you watching the game on Sunday afternoons.

Just keep that in mind the next time you decide to ruin someones day that does live in "your world" because your workout sucked, or shit is not going right in your training.

"But I LIVE this shit!"

Live for something more, then. Live for your kids, or your spouse, or your mom and dad, or something bigger than picking things up and putting them down.

Lifting weights should always just be something that you do, and never who you are.

Amen.

G Diesel
08-14-13, 9:54 am

"But I LIVE this shit!"

Very well said.

I've often said that if your mind isn't your most powerful muscle, then you're weak. If you don't cultivate that which you can't see, eventually you'll end up with nothing, because the superficial stuff like looks and muscles, only last so long.

I've also found it sad when someone has nothing to contribute other than talking about training or eating. I mean, I love this shit too, but there is so much more to life. Maybe sometimes we lose sight of that fact.

Peace, G

Kowboy
08-14-13, 10:02 am
I agree, since I work in DOD there are a lot of the introverted "nerdy" guys here and they live and breathe this stuff 100% all the time and that is all they talk about. Now that I am married and we are working on growing our third kid you really get to see what life is all about. Training is very important to me and I do my best to train as much as I can but if my little girl calls and says she wants to have a day w/ me then I say fuck it and go hang out with her. I will just make up for it the next go round or go in early and hit it.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
08-14-13, 10:02 am
I've also found it sad when someone has nothing to contribute other than talking about training or eating. I mean, I love this shit too, but there is so much more to life. Maybe sometimes we lose sight of that fact.

Peace, G

This. x1000000000000000000

GUNS
08-14-13, 10:46 am
Very well said.

I've often said that if your mind isn't your most powerful muscle, then you're weak. If you don't cultivate that which you can't see, eventually you'll end up with nothing, because the superficial stuff like looks and muscles, only last so long.

Peace, G

I agree! man do I love to sit and chat and pick others brains on lifting, food, supplements! But I also like to chat about other things! I love movies and music, talking about family! I don't think me and Ox talked about anything but family at the cage! Got to balance it all in life!

Bruiser
08-14-13, 10:59 am
I agree, since I work in DOD there are a lot of the introverted "nerdy" guys here and they live and breathe this stuff 100% all the time and that is all they talk about. Now that I am married and we are working on growing our third kid you really get to see what life is all about. Training is very important to me and I do my best to train as much as I can but if my little girl calls and says she wants to have a day w/ me then I say fuck it and go hang out with her. I will just make up for it the next go round or go in early and hit it.

I agree! man do I love to sit and chat and pick others brains on lifting, food, supplements! But I also like to chat about other things! I love movies and music, talking about family! I don't think me and Ox talked about anything but family at the cage! Got to balance it all in life!

I agree guys. You know if there's anybody who puts his family first, it's me. I may have started this thread as a rant, but I damn well put others before myself. Whether it's spending every waking minute with my boys, participating in charity events or organizing my own... those are the things that truly matter.

Auslifter
08-15-13, 1:16 am
Off topic. But you're all very correct in what you say. Its a beautiful foundation of knowledge and enlightenment the iron gives us.
I feel privileged to read the insightful posts of intellectual iron addicts like myself!

G Diesel
08-15-13, 8:52 am
I agree guys. You know if there's anybody who puts his family first, it's me. I may have started this thread as a rant, but I damn well put others before myself. Whether it's spending every waking minute with my boys, participating in charity events or organizing my own... those are the things that truly matter.

When it is all said and done, nothing is more important. Much respect for having your priorities straight bro.

Peace, G

IronWilson
08-15-13, 9:12 am
The guys in 300 had real abs. it is next to impossible to generate fake abs on video.

I ask you all this question: How many times have you seen a hot female actress or model and have loved watching them because, well, they are attractive? And you will hear other women saying: "That's not what a real woman looks like." Because the celebrity in question is naturally very thin and not muscular or into fitness? Instead, women would argue that "Real women" have "curves" because they are not like them.

This is exactly the same. You "alpha males" are being catty and jealous. It is exactly the same as women sitting around watching The View or something.

So what is this actor supposed to do? Train to ultimately be 250 lbs? If you are built huskier, you will gravitate towards something like this, because it will come easier to you. If you are skinnier and have smaller joints and bones, constant heavy weight training takes it's toll on the joints. So to get to that kind of weight at a level of respectable conditioning with that kind of natural body build, you will need steroids or something extra, even thought they don't compete. But only insecure pussies do that, right? So that leaves us with the ideal (within this forum.) that only people who are respectable body types are husky and muscular?

"Real greatness comes in what you do with the hand you're dealt."

Kowboy
08-15-13, 9:22 am
I am probably going to have a sex change to become Bruiser

Cellardweller
08-15-13, 10:04 am
The guys in 300 had real abs. it is next to impossible to generate fake abs on video.

Seriously? Did you watch the movie? There are fake shadows all over some of those guys. Did you watch any of the Hulk movies or The Avengers? The hulk is all muscle and is completely computer generated.

I ask you all this question: How many times have you seen a hot female actress or model and have loved watching them because, well, they are attractive? And you will hear other women saying: "That's not what a real woman looks like." Because the celebrity in question is naturally very thin and not muscular or into fitness? Instead, women would argue that "Real women" have "curves" because they are not like them.

This is exactly the same. You "alpha males" are being catty and jealous. It is exactly the same as women sitting around watching The View or something.

So what is this actor supposed to do? Train to ultimately be 250 lbs? If you are built huskier, you will gravitate towards something like this, because it will come easier to you. If you are skinnier and have smaller joints and bones, constant heavy weight training takes it's toll on the joints. So to get to that kind of weight at a level of respectable conditioning with that kind of natural body build, you will need steroids or something extra, even thought they don't compete. But only insecure pussies do that, right? So that leaves us with the ideal (within this forum.) that only people who are respectable body types are husky and muscular?

There might be an element of cattiness to this thread, and maybe some jealousness at his success, but what really gets me about your post is that you think little guys will always be little guys and only big guys can be big unless the little guy is juicing. Little guys can get big with hard work and good dieting. You don't need to do one rep maxes to add muscle to your frame. Genetics will play into whither or not you get on the Mr. O stage but will not stop you from getting huge without juicing. For the record, heavy weight beats up the joints of big guys all the same. Do you know who Richard Hawthorn is? He deadlifted 611lbs at only 128lbs. Not bad for a little guy. By your logic he'll be in a nursing home by the time he's 40 since he won't be able to move anymore. You've been here since '07?

GUNS
08-15-13, 10:06 am

There is some real BS in here. First off, no need to throw the drug card out there, nor is it allowed on this forvm, read the rules, they are listed in my sig.

Yes the way your body is built by design, has something to do with it. BUT, I was 159lbs coming out of HS, 23 years later Im 250. I have been lifting for almost all of those 23 years, and have busted my ass to get where Im at. Myself and a lot of others didn't need that "Something Extra" to reach our personal goals. Everyone here is forgetting the words, "personal goals". If your fat, and want to be lean, stick to your goals, bust your ass while getting there, and you will get where you want to be. If your skinny, and you want to be a big BB type, again, stick to your goals, bust your ass while getting there, and you will get where you want to be. Your hung up on the media BS that there has to be other "supplements" to get to where you want to be. When has any media ever given any credit to someone for really busting there ass? You seem to be in that same boat! Give credit to where credit is due.

Appollonian
08-15-13, 10:20 am

"But I LIVE this shit!"

Thanks for sharing this Jimmy, I think having a good perspective always helps, and being reminded never hurts.

Universal Rep
08-15-13, 10:53 am
Seriously? Did you watch the movie? There are fake shadows all over some of those guys. Did you watch any of the Hulk movies or The Avengers? The hulk is all muscle and is completely computer generated.

There might be an element of cattiness to this thread, and maybe some jealousness at his success, but what really gets me about your post is that you think little guys will always be little guys and only big guys can be big unless the little guy is juicing. Little guys can get big with hard work and good dieting. You don't need to do one rep maxes to add muscle to your frame. Genetics will play into whither or not you get on the Mr. O stage but will not stop you from getting huge without juicing. For the record, heavy weight beats up the joints of big guys all the same. Do you know who Richard Hawthorn is? He deadlifted 611lbs at only 128lbs. Not bad for a little guy. By your logic he'll be in a nursing home by the time he's 40 since he won't be able to move anymore. You've been here since '07?

I dont think thats wut Iron wuz sayin. I think he wuz saying if that physique is OK for the actor, then it's OK for the actor and thats enough. Iron wuz questionin this kind of thinking, "that only people who are respectable body types are husky and muscular?"

There is some real BS in here. First off, no need to throw the drug card out there, nor is it allowed on this forvm, read the rules, they are listed in my sig.

Yes the way your body is built by design, has something to do with it. BUT, I was 159lbs coming out of HS, 23 years later Im 250. I have been lifting for almost all of those 23 years, and have busted my ass to get where Im at. Myself and a lot of others didn't need that "Something Extra" to reach our personal goals. Everyone here is forgetting the words, "personal goals". If your fat, and want to be lean, stick to your goals, bust your ass while getting there, and you will get where you want to be. If your skinny, and you want to be a big BB type, again, stick to your goals, bust your ass while getting there, and you will get where you want to be. Your hung up on the media BS that there has to be other "supplements" to get to where you want to be. When has any media ever given any credit to someone for really busting there ass? You seem to be in that same boat! Give credit to where credit is due.

Hes not endorsing the use or encouragin it. It wuz illustrative...

IronWilson
08-16-13, 12:23 am
I dont think thats wut Iron wuz sayin. I think he wuz saying if that physique is OK for the actor, then it's OK for the actor and thats enough. Iron wuz questionin this kind of thinking, "that only people who are respectable body types are husky and muscular?"

Hes not endorsing the use or encouragin it. It wuz illustrative...

THANK YOU U-REP!

As soon as you mention the word steroids around here everyone goes nuts. What I meant is that is why naturally skinnier people will gravitate towards this body type.

IronWilson
08-16-13, 1:06 am

The hulk was a full 3-d model. Fake shadows are possible, but fake abs cannot be generated on a moving image without it being extremely obvious. I do this stuff for a living.

And yes, I have been here since '07. And I fell into this kind of bullshit back then, thinking that my way was the only way. If you weren't into getting big, you weren't shit. Except that one day I realized that people are different for reasons. And in my time here, I have seen countless threads like this, where people questioned people that didn't share their ideals. This is the reason I posted in this thread.

An experience in the gym helped solidify a lesson for me. I have a list of genetic conditions that existed way before I started lifting. So basically, in order for me to lift, I have to foam roll and stretch for at least an hour every day. I had just got done working a 14 hour shift in my 12th consecutive day at my construction job and I was beat. In addition, my house just burned down the week before. But I went to the gym, because I like to lift. So I start with my warm up sets and get to my working sets on deadlifts. This college kid, watching me, walks up next to me and loads a bar on the floor with the same amount of weight as I did for my working set without warming up, and lifts it. After finished his deadlift, the little prick turned and grinned at me with this smug little smile. And walked away with his chest puffed out, and head held high. Whenever I would put on more weight, he would put that plus 10 lbs. on, constantly grinning at me.

So at face value, this kid thinks he's stronger. But what if he had a tough situation? Could he still do the same thing? At first, in angered me. But then I realized, that I had that attitude a while back. There was no excuse for not being big or strong. None at all.

The lesson I learned was that you quite simply should not judge people. If you were in their situation, you might not be able to handle it as well as them?

If someone who benches 300 lbs. compares themselves to someone with no legs in a wheelchair benching 135, who is stronger?

Apples and oranges is what it is. So why should we belittle others? That is exactly what this thread is doing.

The point of everything I just said is that we have no right to judge anyone who makes a choice not to get big. If you had an opportunity to land a multi-million dollar television contract, as long as you maintained a lean, but skinny physique, would you say no just because you are a "hardcore" bodybuilder?

Kowboy
08-16-13, 7:43 am
I think on 300 they did say that the guys who weren't in the front were airbrushed etc., I remember seeing that. I agree w/ not judging because I remember being 300 lbs at 6'5" benching 135 when I first started and having people just stare at me like I was some big ol puss. Well I am ahead of most of them now but I will always toss out a helping hand, spot or event advice if they ask. Your story is pretty funny, guys do that shit at the gym here on base all the time. The worst is leg press, load it up w/ a elevenity billion pounds, quarter rep it and look at me like they are a badass. I did have 4pps but guess what, I just had surgery chief and went all the way down.

I think this thread has brought a lot of good discussion as everyone judges at some point on something. I know I have been judged my whole life as I do not fit the stigmata for what I do for a living. Try talking about the gym etc w/ a bunch of computer science guys in college. If you found 1 or 2 you were lucky.

Universal Rep
08-16-13, 10:41 am
The point of everything I just said is that we have no right to judge anyone who makes a choice not to get big. If you had an opportunity to land a multi-million dollar television contract, as long as you maintained a lean, but skinny physique, would you say no just because you are a "hardcore" bodybuilder?

^^^

I think this thread has brought a lot of good discussion as everyone judges at some point on something. I know I have been judged my whole life as I do not fit the stigmata for what I do for a living. Try talking about the gym etc w/ a bunch of computer science guys in college. If you found 1 or 2 you were lucky.

We judge and are judged. Thats just how the story goes for better or worse, eh?

Kowboy
08-16-13, 10:45 am
I think everyone does to a point, even small stuff. Is it right? No but we need to make ourselves aware so we dont try to force our judgement on others. When we see a guy in the gym who is lifting light or has the wrong body type we don't know what they have been through or what their struggles are. I am just saying that before we pass judgement or even make a face we need to reflect on it and ourselves.

Universal Rep
08-16-13, 10:48 am
I think everyone does to a point, even small stuff. Is it right? No but we need to make ourselves aware so we dont try to force our judgement on others. When we see a guy in the gym who is lifting light or has the wrong body type we don't know what they have been through or what their struggles are. I am just saying that before we pass judgement or even make a face we need to reflect on it and ourselves.

I agree. This aint sumthin easy to do and its harder for sum than it is for others. But its good advice for sure.

Kowboy
08-16-13, 10:50 am
I agree. This aint sumthin easy to do and its harder for sum than it is for others. But its good advice for sure.

I just try to be stronger then I was yesterday.

Cellardweller
08-16-13, 9:28 pm
We are our own worst judges. We judge ourselves all the time in the mirror and by the numbers. What we all have to do is change the filter when our gaze falls on someone else.

Jay Nera
04-30-17, 12:41 am
We are our own worst judges. We judge ourselves all the time in the mirror and by the numbers. What we all have to do is change the filter when our gaze falls on someone else.

And sometimes when our gaze falls on someone else, we can recognize that some of the things we notice in others are the things we like and dislike about ourselves.