PDA

View Full Version : the magazines

TheJuggernautBitch
06-18-13, 5:44 pm
so I either want to subscribe to muscle and fitness or flex...
which do you guys prefer and why

Sprint
06-18-13, 5:51 pm
so I either want to subscribe to muscle and fitness or flex...
which do you guys prefer and why

Flex, as it's more bodybuilding-centred which is more to my taste.

I really like Muscular Development, for it's hardcore, no-holds-barred approach, but it's tricky to find over here at times. Shit, sometimes you gotta go on a treasure hunt for Flex..

G Diesel
06-18-13, 5:52 pm
Flex, for me personally, is and always has been, the best bbing magazine from an all-around content perspective.

M&F is a good publication with a large and loyal readership, and it has some great moments, but is too mainstream for my tastes and my view of our lifestyle.

Peace, G

TheJuggernautBitch
06-18-13, 6:31 pm
thanks guys! yea, i'm definitely looking for something more about bodybuilding.

Bruiser
06-18-13, 6:37 pm
Power Magazine

TheJuggernautBitch
06-18-13, 6:43 pm
bruiser, I end up buying it every time I see a new issue on the shelves!

naturalguy
06-18-13, 6:47 pm
FLEX or MD. Muscle & Fitness is becoming more Crossfit and mainstream as G said

naturalguy
06-18-13, 6:48 pm
Power Magazine

Power is an great mag

TheJuggernautBitch
06-18-13, 6:50 pm
now between flex and MD haha which one has more info and less ads?

Bruiser
06-18-13, 6:55 pm
now between flex and MD haha which one has more info and less ads?

Less ads? Hahahahaha.

TheJuggernautBitch
06-18-13, 7:31 pm
for real... a lot of the ads look like things youd get a virus for clicking on the internet.

intoodeep25
06-18-13, 8:28 pm
Power Magazine

x2. everything else is a joke

IronWilson
06-19-13, 10:14 am
Before you count Muscle and Fitness out, it has gotten exponentially better in the past couple of years. It used to suck really bad. But now Muscle and Fitness has turned into my new favorite magazine. It shows you exercises that you may have never thought of, has a section on rehab every month, and then maybe a workout from an athlete like Brock Lesnar or something. A lot of the writers featured every month are some of the best powerlifters and trainers or bodybuilders.

Muscular Development focuses so much on pro bodybuilding and steroids. Flex is too superficial for my taste. It is always the same recycled crap over and over with that magazine, just different sponsored athletes. Do you really need to know what Jay Cutler eats every day? Because most of us do not live the bodybuilding lifestyle full-time. I would rather focus on the science of exercise and diet and learn something. To me, MD is just a manly paparazzi news rag. Some people like to read interviews from all of the pro bodybuilders. That's cool if that's what you want. But after awhile it gets kind of stale.

G Diesel
06-19-13, 10:19 am
Less ads? Hahahahaha.

for real... a lot of the ads look like things youd get a virus for clicking on the internet.

Welcome to bodybuilding, gents.

Before you count Muscle and Fitness out, it has gotten exponentially better in the past couple of years. It used to suck really bad. But now Muscle and Fitness has turned into my new favorite magazine. It shows you exercises that you may have never thought of, has a section on rehab every month, and then maybe a workout from an athlete like Brock Lesnar or something. A lot of the writers featured every month are some of the best powerlifters and trainers or bodybuilders.

Muscular Development focuses so much on pro bodybuilding and steroids. Flex is too superficial for my taste. It is always the same recycled crap over and over with that magazine, just different sponsored athletes. Do you really need to know what Jay Cutler eats every day? Because most of us do not live the bodybuilding lifestyle full-time. I would rather focus on the science of exercise and diet and learn something. To me, MD is just a manly paparazzi news rag. Some people like to read interviews from all of the pro bodybuilders. That's cool if that's what you want. But after awhile it gets kind of stale.

A passionate endorsement on behalf of M&F. I really liked the Dorian and Steve Reeves features the past couple months, plus the round table discussion on fruit. Awesome content, even if Superman was on the cover.

Peace, G

Cellardweller
06-19-13, 10:55 pm
Seems like half the time M&F doesn't even have a bodybuilder on the cover. It's always a pro football or MMA celeb.

naturalguy
06-20-13, 8:55 am
Seems like half the time M&F doesn't even have a bodybuilder on the cover. It's always a pro football or MMA celeb.

More than half, I don't think they are putting bodybuilders on the cover anymore, they are putting on a lot of Crossfit guys and celebrities/athletes

IronWilson
06-20-13, 10:10 am
And just as I spoke so highly of M & F, I go to the store today and see the actor from Man of Steel on the cover...WTF? It's all about how many readers you can get.

All muscle magazines suck and have the same recycled crap in 2 year cycles. But I feel that M & F has the most new information on actual exercises and nutrition, and not what Branch Warren ate last month.

Bruiser
06-20-13, 10:17 am
M&F has turned more into a "men's magazine" than a training mag. I will say that it was the first one I ever picked up that got me into this game though. From there I quickly jumped to MD. Honestly because of their whole "NO BULL" attitude and articles. Since then I only read Power, Ultimate Grappling and Fight Magazine (as far as "fitness mags go). I've actually got more good information from Men's Health than most fitness mags! A lot of my favorite recipes have come from there, a lot of good recovery info, etc. Sometimes you need to think outside the norm if you want to find what you're looking for.

Universal Rep
06-20-13, 10:44 am
MuscleMag is no more... Says sumthin about the state of BB, magazines, and BB magazines...

TheJuggernautBitch
06-20-13, 4:42 pm
sucks that musclemag is no more. i have this awesome issue... legends of bodybuilding three and its great. the thing i hate about m and f is exactly what was said... its more of a mens magazine. even though i'm average, i don't want to learn how to stay average or hear from average celebrities... you see all the freaks in flex but the content just isn't always great. this months issue seems tight though.

Appollonian
06-20-13, 5:14 pm
It really depends on what your preference is and what you are willing to wade through to get the info. There was a recent deal to get 1 year of Flex for an absurdly low price, up to 3 years, so I jumped on that. I got M&F from 2001 till 2007; I paid maybe $0.50 per issue at absolute most, closer to $0.30 most years for my subscription, and honestly when I first started getting it, it was quite good. Over the years though it became more like Men's health. Nothing against Men's health, but I don't need two of those.

Then I got Flex from 2007 till 2011, but stopped until a few months ago.

So now I consider content first, but price per issue is a big deal, too.

As for the content, over those 6 years with M&F, it kind of seemed like a lot of information got used and reused. The good articles would put a different spin on the content and make it fresh, but sometimes I think it was cut and paste, with just the pictures changing. Flex seems to do a little better with this over time, so I'll see how it goes.