PDA

View Full Version : Cube vs 531

Vrotsos991
06-19-13, 8:07 pm
What are your guys views on the two against each other. What are your opinions of the pro's and cons of each. I currently do 531, but have read a little on the cube. Interested in peoples opinions of who did both, and even people that only stuck with one.

Goldstone
06-19-13, 11:27 pm
I just finished working with Brandon for 10 weeks and have run the Cube since fall of last year.

I also know Wendler personally (not trying to name drop or brag, please know that) and ran 5/3/1 for the better part of 4 years from late 2008 to fall 2012. If I had questions, Jim had answers.

That being said, they are both awesome plans.

5/3/1
- is a lot simpler in terms of the setup, %'s, and layout
- get in, get out with your work and exercises. All you need is a barbell and some weight.
- my OHP/Squat/Deadlift have been their strongest with 5/3/1
- continual progress over extended periods of time

Cube
- Even coming off a pec injury in January, my raw bench worked better with the Cube method
- nice variety of exercises, especially for the deadlift
- need access to blocks to pull from
- plans laid out in 10 week blocks

I don't think either is better, per se, just which plan you're going to BELIEVE in more. They both work, and both have a slew of lifters kicking ass with their progress. Ben Seath is dominating competition using 5/3/1 right now, while Brandon himself and others are destroying people with the Cube. Both require hard work and dedication, and both will make you a better lifter.

For me, I'm switching back to 5/3/1 due to school schedule/work schedule and having to do some training at the local YMCA with only 1 or 2 workouts per week at the big boy powerlifting gym in town. Jim's NOV plan might be the most conducive plan for where I'm at in life, and I BELIEVE in the program as well for what I'm trying to achieve.

Hope that helps.

Firefist
06-20-13, 12:03 am
Awesome writeup Goldstone. That's some really good info that I'm sure can help a lot of people on here.

Nix0r
06-20-13, 12:13 am
I've run 531 in the past, and am just starting up the Cube.

The one thing for me (and this is because of past injuries and whatnot) is that every time I would have my 1 week, my lower back would be destroyed from having to squat and deadlift heavy in that same week. With the Cube, and the rotation of reps, heavy, and explosive training for the Big 3, I don't see myself having any of those giant flare ups, so I should be able to work around all of those setbacks, and hopefully get back on the platform in late fall / early winter.

under the bar
06-20-13, 7:47 am
For me I thought that 531 lacked volume. It is a super simplistic program and great for a novice lifter.

Cube obviously has way more volume, I have used it and still have some of my crew running it. Only problem I have seen with cube is with the bench press, for whatever reason everyone at my gym that ran cube sees huge increases in squat and pull, bench is very minimal if any better.

Bruiser
06-20-13, 7:50 am
For me I thought that 531 lacked volume. It is a super simplistic program and great for a novice lifter.

Cube obviously has way more volume, I have used it and still have some of my crew running it. Only problem I have seen with cube is with the bench press, for whatever reason everyone at my gym that ran cube sees huge increases in squat and pull, bench is very minimal if any better.

Exactly. I ran two cycles of 5/3/1 and all my lifts except DL dropped 5-15lbs. Not nearly enough volume for me.

Vrotsos991
06-20-13, 1:08 pm
Exactly. I ran two cycles of 5/3/1 and all my lifts except DL dropped 5-15lbs. Not nearly enough volume for me.

I been feeling the same way with 531. It does feel like there is not enough volume. I am trying out the 531body builder workout that wendler created to add more volume. Cube sounds interesting and i am thinking of trying.

Goldstone
06-20-13, 4:24 pm
Jim addresses the volume issue, especially with the bench.

When you get to your three working sets, you can then work back down with the same %'s and numbers.

As for the volume, try the Boring But Big template for 3 months. It will kick your ass if volume is what you seek.

5/3/1 is meant for long-term gains. Yes, initially the lifts take a dive if you start off with 90% of your max for your training numbers. But if you stick with it long enough (more than a month or two) you start repping what was your max a little while earlier.

TheJuggernautBitch
06-20-13, 4:44 pm
531 has never worked for me... i'd go with cube any day.

TheJuggernautBitch
06-20-13, 4:44 pm
but really everyone should run juggernaut at least once. its not getting the attention it deserves.

Aggression
06-20-13, 5:34 pm
For me I thought that 531 lacked volume.

So just add in more volume...

I've run both programs and I've had success with both of them. No routine should be followed blindly. The Cube, given it's basic layout, tends to have more volume than the 5/3/1. But if one wanted more volume in their current program, then they just add it in. While running both programs, there were days I did the main exercise and left the gym, days I did what was 'recommended', and days where I added more volume. Through both programs, I've gain legit strength.

BamBam
06-20-13, 8:12 pm
but really everyone should run juggernaut at least once. its not getting the attention it deserves.

Agreed x100

So just add in more volume...

I've run both programs and I've had success with both of them. No routine should be followed blindly. The Cube, given it's basic layout, tends to have more volume than the 5/3/1. But if one wanted more volume in their current program, then they just add it in. While running both programs, there were days I did the main exercise and left the gym, days I did what was 'recommended', and days where I added more volume. Through both programs, I've gain legit strength.

x2.. it's easy.. I ran 5/3/1 for like 3 or 4 "blocks" or whatever u wanna call it and I always added more work on a particular exercise at the end (ie. boring but big) and my accessory work was upped too. If you want volume, turn it up..

I think both programs are what PL needs.. same goes for Juggernaut.. I have ran all three and they are basic. Juggernaut a little more laid out and "detailed" to me.. but just find a bar, some weights, and do work..

I'll say this and get back to eating.. If you run a program and let it run you, you're missing the point. If you choose a program and adapt it to YOUR BODY... You'll smash whatever you come up against