PDA

View Full Version : Getting Strong and Stuff. (Thumbelina's Cube Log)

thecookiemonster
06-23-13, 10:42 pm
Oh hai.

My name is Christine. I'm 19, from Toronto Canada, and a RAW powerlifter in the 60kg division. I wasn't always into powerlifting. I had a lot of trouble with eating disorders when I was younger, and was the ultimate cardio bunny (weights make you bulky, right?!). I decided I wanted to make a change in my life, and committed to doing a figure competition when I was 16. I was convinced that I wanted to be the next Ms. Olympia. All that changed after my terrible rebound post-competition, when I realized that after years of body image disorder, being judged on my appearance was the LAST thing I needed.

I was convinced to start training for powerlifting from a friend of mine from the BodyBuilding.com boards. Through him and a little bit of networking, I came across my first coach, Eric Brown, who helped me out for a solid 2 years (he gave me the nic-name "Thumbelina"). I owe a lot of my success with powerlifting to this man. His patience and generosity is something I will never forget. He taught me how to be a better lifter, and more confident person.

I hit an "elite" total last December, though considering how I never think I am strong enough, I would hardly call my current total "elite"! My ultimate goal is to reach a 1000 lb. raw total, natural, at 60kg BW.

Dunno how long it will take, but I will get there. :)

I have been a long time follower/fan of Brandon Lilly, and have run The Cube previously for a cycle and loved it. I respond very well to high-volume training from the looks of it, and I'm really excited to see where the program AND Animal's awesome products will take me!! I've been on a maintenance diet since December, so I hover around 129-132 lbs. But seeing as this program is all about GAINZ, I suppose I can make some exceptions and increase the calories if need be!! If nothing else, I'm hoping it's gonna add a little more size to my chicken legs. :P

That's all I suppose. I have a tendency to ramble so there will be plenty of that in future posts.

Thanks for reading/following. :)

Universal Rep
06-24-13, 9:44 am
Subbed. Good luck CM.

J-Dawg
06-24-13, 12:39 pm
In for this Christine! I'm curious to see how the CUBE plus Animal products work for ya! Here's to some good PRs!

Big Wides
06-24-13, 3:31 pm
subbed

CMDay91
06-24-13, 7:25 pm
you have been subbed

thecookiemonster
06-25-13, 8:01 pm
Damn. Just got my shipment in.

So overwhelmed and humbled by the generosity of Brandon and this amazing company. I'm so excited to get started. Is it July 1st yet?!

Universal Rep
06-26-13, 1:47 pm
Damn. Just got my shipment in.

So overwhelmed and humbled by the generosity of Brandon and this amazing company. I'm so excited to get started. Is it July 1st yet?!

Soon... Lookin forward to all the logs on Monday. Gonna be a blast.

thecookiemonster
06-27-13, 9:00 pm
I missed two days of training this week, and since the new program is starting I figured I'd get some heavy-ish work in and taper off over the weekend so I'm recovered for Monday.

Good news is, I made a beltless rackpull (below the knee) PR: 300x5. More left in the tank. Felt good. First time doing anything close to heavy since my meet on the 8th.

(NOTE: I should mention that this is my "recovery" stage as a reformed vegan. I had become a full-fledged strict vegan in February, right up until my last meet which is when I decided to add fish, and occasionally some eggs back into my diet. This has now expanded to whey, though I still don't have a desire to eat pork/beef, etc.

I definitely do notice that my strength has gone up again since changing the way I was eating. Always a plus. My sport comes first...I'm sure the fish will understand, lol.)

thecookiemonster
07-02-13, 9:00 pm
Just got my program. I've already done a medium squat session and a medium-heavy bench/floor press session this week, so I will probably just pick back up on the squat day on Thursday, and then do an assistance work day on Friday.

Starting fully next Monday! Started taking the supps today as well. So far, it's a LOT more pills than I am used to, haha. But I will get accustomed I'm sure.

Bazz67
07-02-13, 9:45 pm
Just got my program. I've already done a medium squat session and a medium-heavy bench/floor press session this week, so I will probably just pick back up on the squat day on Thursday, and then do an assistance work day on Friday.

Starting fully next Monday! Started taking the supps today as well. So far, it's a LOT more pills than I am used to, haha. But I will get accustomed I'm sure.

Hey Christine, I think we are all in the same spot having already done some of our own programming this week. Praefect is checking with BL about having everyone start the Cube programming next week.

CMDay91
07-02-13, 11:16 pm
Hey Christine, I think we are all in the same spot having already done some of our own programming this week. Praefect is checking with BL about having everyone start the Cube programming next week.

Well crap I did deadlift today...

thecookiemonster
07-04-13, 10:43 pm

Yeah, I wanna start the program off fresh so I will be beginning it on Monday. Which will put me about a week behind, but I figure it's better to get all the work in!

Bazz67
07-05-13, 8:26 am
Yeah, I wanna start the program off fresh so I will be beginning it on Monday. Which will put me about a week behind, but I figure it's better to get all the work in!

I'm starting Monday also.

thecookiemonster
07-08-13, 8:59 pm
Official Day #1 for me!!

Deadlifts:

135x5
165x3
185x2
205x20

Rack-pulls (didn't have blocks to use; roughly 4.5"):

190x3
205x1
220x22

Pause Squats (3 sec. in hole):

bar x bunch
95x5
135x1
155x2x10

Natural GHR (i.e, on the ground) (slow controlled eccentric; push off of floor to starting)

1x5x5x5x5 (rest-pause between each "set" of 5; 10-15 sec)

Planks:

2 x 1 min.

NOTES:

My video cut off at rep 5 of my deadlifts unfortunately. Seriously though, I feel like my cardio could definitely use some work. Felt like I just finished some HIIT once I was done, haha.

I got a vid of my first set of squats. Looking at it now, I realize I definitely had more in me. They always feel harder than they look!!

Back was toast after those deadlifts. Definitely felt like a solid session though.

As far as nutrition goes...diet has been so-so today. Had to force down my Animal Flex + Omega because I forgot to take them. Have to get used to all these pills, haha. Also trying to organize it where I can take the PM stack on a semi-empty stomach, but that's hard...I'm always eating, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DQppOGoFFQ

Bazz67
07-08-13, 9:20 pm
Nice work! You girls and guys are going to make me look really weak on these high rep days.

The 20 and 22 rep sets are cardio as far as I'm concerned, I got 9 and 8 and had to take several minutes to regroup and catch my breath before squatting.

thecookiemonster
07-08-13, 9:32 pm
Nice work! You girls and guys are going to make me look really weak on these high rep days.

The 20 and 22 rep sets are cardio as far as I'm concerned, I got 9 and 8 and had to take several minutes to regroup and catch my breath before squatting.

Definitely felt like cardio. My lungs gave out before anything else, haha.

Universal Rep
07-09-13, 8:56 am
It seems like a lot of pills for sure, but trust me, its gets a lot easier... Good luck with the rest of the program.

thecookiemonster
07-10-13, 9:57 pm
Day #2: Max Bench

Bench:

bar x bunch
65x5
75x3
90x2
105x1
110x5
115x5 (had a bit more in me I think)

"Board" Press (no board so I tried using safeties in power cage instead...fail):

95x10 (real awkward)

DB Press (rest-paused; 10-15 secs between rounds):

15's x10
25's x 15 x 5 x 5 x 5 x 5

Chin-Ups:

3x5 (slow negative in L-position on the last rep; short rest between reps to re-set)

One-Arm DB Rows:

50 lbs. x20 (per arm)

NOTES:

To be honest, the way this workout was set up was a little bit weird to me. But not bad. The bench felt a bit easy but I didn't want to miss any reps so I didn't risk putting the weight up more.

As for the "board press" with safeties...total disaster. Won't try this again. I'm going to make myself boards this week so I can do this properly.

I have a question...and I hope someone can help me out. I really don't know what to do on these AMRAP sets. I don't have any sets lined out for me or anything...is it supposed to be one? Five? How heavy is the weight supposed to be?

Hope I can get this cleared up so I know how to make better weight jumps and such.

J Wong
07-10-13, 10:34 pm
I am pretty sure the AMRAP sets without a weight listed is just..pick up a moderate weight and do as many reps as possible...I'm sure they are meant for higher reps (15+) but I may be wong. I mean wrong.

thecookiemonster
07-14-13, 8:55 pm
Forgot to update from the other day.

SQUATS (had no reverse bands for today so I just did straight weight)

bar x bunch
95x5
135x2
155x8x2

ROMANIAN DL'S:

135x5
185x1
205x1
225x1
250x2 (could have gone down a bit more)

Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdN3Ie0Saqo&feature=share&list=UUWfotTxi5fmkHGxnDW172pg

WIDE-STANCE SQUATS:

135x15 (could have gotten more; See notes)

TIRE FLIPS (unknown weight; really fucking heavy)

2x1

NOTES:

So I sort of got side-tracked at the end of this workout. I was challenged to try and flip a tire in my new gym that no female so far has been able to flip. I got it for two singles. Was hard as fuck, I'd place the weight around 450-500, but I could be wrong.

For the wide-stance squats...these felt very weird/awkward. And to be honest I still feel strange with all this AMRAP stuff. I guess I need to plan ahead better and pick a challenging weight so that by the time I get to the set I'm not so lost as to what to do.

I haven't been able to get many videos this week, but this coming week I will be sure to take some of my squats/deadlifts/bench and such.

CMDay91
07-18-13, 11:04 am
Forgot to update from the other day.

SQUATS (had no reverse bands for today so I just did straight weight)

bar x bunch
95x5
135x2
155x8x2

ROMANIAN DL'S:

135x5
185x1
205x1
225x1
250x2 (could have gone down a bit more)

Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdN3Ie0Saqo&feature=share&list=UUWfotTxi5fmkHGxnDW172pg

WIDE-STANCE SQUATS:

135x15 (could have gotten more; See notes)

TIRE FLIPS (unknown weight; really fucking heavy)

2x1

NOTES:

So I sort of got side-tracked at the end of this workout. I was challenged to try and flip a tire in my new gym that no female so far has been able to flip. I got it for two singles. Was hard as fuck, I'd place the weight around 450-500, but I could be wrong.

For the wide-stance squats...these felt very weird/awkward. And to be honest I still feel strange with all this AMRAP stuff. I guess I need to plan ahead better and pick a challenging weight so that by the time I get to the set I'm not so lost as to what to do.

I haven't been able to get many videos this week, but this coming week I will be sure to take some of my squats/deadlifts/bench and such.

I wanna see a video of you flipping a 500lbs tire!

Brandon Lilly
07-18-13, 6:49 pm
In the future if you don't have access to a reverse band, just make a small 5% jump in straight weight to finish out. Good work!

thecookiemonster
07-25-13, 9:28 pm
Man. I have really fell off the wagon with logging the past 2 weeks. Just been crazy busy and it kept slipping my mind.

I have however been following the program still. The weights and volume isn't quite what I am used to (usually heavier and higher volume) but I am liking it.

As for the supps, I feel like I may have to take a little less of the Animal PM. It is making me over-sleep my alarm!! Yikes. (Guess it works though!)

Brandon Lilly
07-25-13, 10:11 pm
Yes please keep posting, I went MIA for a bit too as things get hectic. Hit me up if you feel you need any changes to the program...

I love Animal PM, I sleep like a baby.

J Wong
07-27-13, 1:03 am
Man. I have really fell off the wagon with logging the past 2 weeks. Just been crazy busy and it kept slipping my mind.

I have however been following the program still. The weights and volume isn't quite what I am used to (usually heavier and higher volume) but I am liking it.

As for the supps, I feel like I may have to take a little less of the Animal PM. It is making me over-sleep my alarm!! Yikes. (Guess it works though!)

I know what you mean man...I mean woman! This whole balancing a big handful of things at once is getting old...why can't we just go back a few years when all we had was high school level course work/minimal working hours and training in our lives?

thecookiemonster
08-01-13, 7:08 pm
Hey again guys.

I sent Brandon a message the other day apologizing again for my lack of updates. Life just got crazy very fast. I'm working 6 days a week at the moment and honestly haven't had time at all for much. Even sleep. My diet sucks. Tired all the time.

I have been keeping up with training still and will try to post an update at the end of the week. Sorry about all this. :(

thecookiemonster
08-06-13, 8:58 am
So this week is week 5 for me. I had to switch my bench day with a lower day since my joints were quite sore. I have started to experience some more severe tendinitis symptoms, and have cut out pretty much all extension work. Some days it hurts just to bench the bar. It's more in my wrists than anything.

Taking some anti-inflammatory stuff and hoping that some rest will help the issue. I am going to the doctor some time this week to test for gout and get some bloodwork done.

Otherwise am feeling pretty good though. Going in for a bench session today so fingers crossed that there is minimal discomfort!