PDA

View Full Version : How to train for leg mass when you are tall

korn_fed
06-27-13, 2:58 am
Whats goin on fellas and ladies,
I want to start a thread as more of a discussion thread, not so much as a specific question. For all my animals that are 6' and over out there, how do you train legs for mass? Do you train with high reps and moderate weight or low reps and heavy weight? Do you use a full ROM or do you implement partial reps? What exercises have you felt provided you with the best growth?
I'm 6'3, and hovering around 230lbs, about 10-15% BF (currently trying to drop that down a bit). I have decided that I will compete in the 2014 NY NPC Metropolitan as my first contest, and am worried about my legs being overpowered by my upper body. I have recently implemented sumo-stance box squats with chains and sumo-stance deadlifts, which I have felt are definitely contributing to thickening up my legs. My legs look good from the side, and my quad sweep is up to par, but my legs are lacking width from the front, and my hamstrings/calves need work overall. I also love the leg press. I usually start out at about 4 plates on either side as a warm-up, and continue adding two plates on either side until I can't lift any heavier. My heaviest leg press to date was 1,350 for four reps.
So what do all you tall guys think have helped you the most with your legs?

Sean_Warrior
06-27-13, 6:58 am
Im 6.2 ish. I tend not to 'lock out'. Fininsh my rep just shy and keep the tension on the muscle im working.

current leg workout.
Leg ext
Squat
Leg Press
SLDL
Lying Curls

Nothing fancy but it works. I don't think we need to do anything special. just need be patient and fill out that extra space/frame we have lol.

Big Wides
06-27-13, 8:08 am
I don't think height has much to do with the muscle development since you can be 5'4 and have long muscle bellies which give the appearance of an elongated muscle. To me, this is more of a genetic makeup of how your muscles formed, which you can use to your advantage. One thing I would recommend is if you are trying to add mass to your legs, focus on heavy straight weight compound movements: Squats (no box), Leg Press, SLDL, Deadlifts, Front Squats, Zercher Squats...

The key point is to focus your energy on multi-joint exercises with heavy weights, as for reps I am a believer that anything from 0 reps to 100 reps will build muscle. If you can do a certain weight for a large number of reps, add more weight and try to get the same rep count as your previous set. Also, keep in mind your I think 18, which you have plenty of time to build up your leg size and it will only increase as your training years progress

Maccabee
06-27-13, 5:23 pm
I would say just about the same thing that anyone else would do. I would just focus a lot MORE on high reps and heavy weight for the squat and front squats. In my opinion, the squat and front squat is the cake and the leg press, extensions, machine hack squats is the sprinkles. Also, deadlifts, sldl, leg curl variations. just mix and match. I read a lot in interviews and personal experience that high reps and heavy weight will just build up those legs really good.

KettleBellFreak
06-27-13, 11:39 pm
6'1.

Just squats, kb front squats, stiff DL and barbell lunges, calves raises go into any workout and get trained like 3 Times a week. have only been training a bit under two years and have 24" thighs at a 8-10% Bf.

Pause squats have helped leg growth tremendously

P Diesel
07-02-13, 9:41 am
the most weight for the most amount of reps u can possibly do. u have to fidn what works for u. what works for me may yield not results for u and conversely what works for u may not work for me.

P

mstersmith
07-02-13, 1:51 pm
I am 6’5” and 220 bro and leg day is a slaughter for me. I am currently using the HRT on this site but modified it with a series of squats. 4 sets in the rep range of 6-8. I find that being this tall does have disadvantages in the squat, a lot of it has to do with leverage mechanics but you can get great mass gains using weight you know you can lift. I usually warm up with a set of ten at 225 ass to the grass and then move up to 275-315 box squats. Heavy deep and spread the reps out as much as you need to. I started out doing this 5 years ago as I was a squat “cheater”! I dropped all the way down to 135 pounds and added 2.5 until I stopped making gains. Then it was Smolovs or whatever I need to get through the lull. One of my favorite is adapted from a power lifting working out from Pavel, do 10x5 or if you are brave 20x5. Constantly confuse your muscles by creating a weight matrix try to avoid a ladder like rep set though. 60%,80%,60%,70%,90%,60% ect. I find for us tall guys doing lots of low rep sets heavy is more productive than high rep heavy sets as those can be harder on our lower backs and core leading to cheaters delusions. From there I move into a standard of leg press, extensions and Romanians. Hope this helps. Oh and if your deadlift is lopsided from your squat it’s the mechanical advantage of your height! Being tall isn’t all bad!