PDA

View Full Version : My 10th Year Anniversary Training

Maccabee
06-27-13, 5:11 pm
Hello Everyone,

This is a post for all the beginners starting out. Nothing I say is fact or set in stone because plenty of people have had success without doing some of these things on my list.

This summer marks the 10th year that I have been training. I learnt so much in the past 10 years I wanted to share some stuff with the beginners.

I started off boxing, did martial arts, to bodybuilding, then to my passion of powerlifting.

This is my list of important stuff to do with your training. You here this stuff all the time, and I am sure you will hear it again. I have had my fair share of challenges from muscle tears, tendon damage, not being able to walk normallyfor a little while (busted my lower back on more then one occasion lol), and even once it took me a month to regain full mobility in my left arm. There are guys out there that have been through worst none the less here is my recomendations to you guys and gals just starting out.

If anyone wants to share feel free to add on.

It doesnt matter if your a strongman, powerlifter, oly lifter, bbder etc..

1. Mobility- Do it every week. Before your workout or after...or a seperate session completly...I dont care just do it and you will not regret it in 10 years. There were times I had to ask my wife to put my shoe on because I was so tight and not mobile at all. Embarrassing! Your an athlete...move like one.

2. Stretching- Same as 1.

3. DONT MAX OUT EVERY WEEK. I understand there are times when you feel super strong, but learn to follow a program and peak your strength. No one can run full force without breaking down. Your not a performer, but an athlete. A performer comes to the gym to show everyone how strong he is, but an athlete is there to train..you understand your program and you are one with your program...you dont have to show your friends or anyone how strong you are etc...no one gives a damn anyways

4. Nutrition/Health: Eat healthy and you will be healthy. Our extreme life style is not always the healthiest thing for us and the guys doing this for years know what I mean. Just take care of yourself and get check ups with your doc. Some of you will read this and call me weak or whatever...but I have seen my fair share. Take care of yourself!

5. Injuries- Take the time to heal. Thats it! I had 3 tears on my left quad and 2 on my right, because I didnt take the time to heal! I busted my back etc.. the list is long. Just take care of your injuries, be smart about it.

6. This one most will not agree with me, but I stand strong on this. Dont miss birthdays for a workout. Dont miss anniversaries for a workout. I am not saying to cheat on your diet, but to leave a bday or not show up to a family event for a workout in my opinion is STUPID. Especially, if its some one close to you in your immediate family. If its a friends bday or some event I understand if you leave early, but not for close family members. I skipped out on a lot of important family events these past 10 years for a workout, and I do regret it. Would I have made less progress had I attended the bdays probably not.

7. Take time off- Not to long like 2 months or even 1 month. After a brutal training cycle or just months of destruction take a week or two to yourself. Sleep, eat less, relax.

8. DO NOT RELY ON WRAPS, STRAPS, OR BELTS to get stronger all the time. You should take time off away from these tools and get stronger "naturally" without these tools. You can squat 500 GREAT! take off the stuff and lets see what you can do.

9. There is more to life then weights. Meaning, learn to be a person first. I used to not share food or just do ridiculous things just to get things my way because it would have negatively impacted my training or nutrition. I am hoping you will get what I mean with this one. Just learn to be a person.

10. Conditioning- If you can squat 600 lbs or bench 400 and you cant run a block without gasping for air then your not strong in my book (not that anyone cares about my book lol). You flat out suck! Your probably fat.

11. You can be good at a few things or great at one thing. Take it the way you want. Not one is better then the other. You can either be great at one thing or good at a few. Its your choice!

I made a lot of mistakes these past 10 years in life and in training. Mistakes and screwing up is a part of life, but dont let it eat you alive. Accept them, improve on it, and move on. Best of luck to you all on your training,especially to the beginners. I wish I knew what I know now 10 years ago! I am very excited for the next 10 years G-d Willing!

Good luck to you all!

intoodeep25
06-27-13, 7:24 pm
This is a great post. I hope people take the time to read it and actually apply the info to their training/lives. Its funny how people who are in this game for a while and have success end up learning a lot of the same lessons along the way.

To add to one of your biggest points, the one about not maxing out constantly: This one has finally gotten through my head. While I've reached very strong numbers by doing some less than smart things throughout the years, if I would have learned this one earlier on I would be even further ahead. Underloading (to a certain extent) is huge to making continuous progress. Hitting a reps PR (5, triple, double) is just as important as a new weight PR. Both mean yielded progress. Chasing a new weight PR every session/week will be the demise of your training program. Start training and stop testing.

Like I said, great post brother, I hope people take the time to read it.

intoodeep25
06-27-13, 7:29 pm
Oh and #10 LOL. That one kinda hurt my feelings :( What if im running that block doing farmers walks with 300#'s each hand and gasping. Do I still suck!? hehehe

Sandman
06-27-13, 10:04 pm
#6 and #9 are the biggest to me. My son is the reason I got back into the gym. And he's the reason I took yesterday off from the gym. When I got home from work and got my gym bag to head out the door, he asked me not to go and said he wanted me to stay and play with him, so I spent the whole evening laying on the floor playing trucks. The gym will always be there! But you can't get that time with your family back.

Maccabee
06-27-13, 10:29 pm
Oh and #10 LOL. That one kinda hurt my feelings :( What if im running that block doing farmers walks with 300#'s each hand and gasping. Do I still suck!? hehehe

haha with 300's in each hand there is no way your not in good condition. I cant do that at all.

I dealt with the #10 a lot. I have squated 585 lbs in the past, but I couldnt even bend over or even run a block. How can someone consider themselves strong if they cant even run a block?

Maccabee
06-27-13, 10:31 pm
This is a great post. I hope people take the time to read it and actually apply the info to their training/lives. Its funny how people who are in this game for a while and have success end up learning a lot of the same lessons along the way.

To add to one of your biggest points, the one about not maxing out constantly: This one has finally gotten through my head. While I've reached very strong numbers by doing some less than smart things throughout the years, if I would have learned this one earlier on I would be even further ahead. Underloading (to a certain extent) is huge to making continuous progress. Hitting a reps PR (5, triple, double) is just as important as a new weight PR. Both mean yielded progress. Chasing a new weight PR every session/week will be the demise of your training program. Start training and stop testing.

Like I said, great post brother, I hope people take the time to read it.

This is a huge one for success. I was that kid who walked into the gym everyday and maxed out on my lifts everyday. I got strong as hell doing that to, but I got hurt a lot of times doing that. I had taken my time and learned how to peak I for sure would have saved myself from majority of my injuries.

Maccabee
06-27-13, 10:36 pm
#6 and #9 are the biggest to me. My son is the reason I got back into the gym. And he's the reason I took yesterday off from the gym. When I got home from work and got my gym bag to head out the door, he asked me not to go and said he wanted me to stay and play with him, so I spent the whole evening laying on the floor playing trucks. The gym will always be there! But you can't get that time with your family back.

Bingo! That is exactly what I was talking about. I became a father a year ago. I would never exchange a moment with my kid for a session in the gym.

Building a family is my number one priority. I want to be 80 years old sitting at the head of my table looking at my kids, grandchildren, and even great grandchildren knowing that I did everything I could for them. I dont ever want to look at one of my kids and think where did I go wrong or why didnt I spend more time with them instead of the gym.

Either way majority of the time we will get our training done. Good for you man. Real proud of you. That is what makes a good dad.

Sandman
06-27-13, 11:17 pm
Bingo! That is exactly what I was talking about. I became a father a year ago. I would never exchange a moment with my kid for a session in the gym.

Building a family is my number one priority. I want to be 80 years old sitting at the head of my table looking at my kids, grandchildren, and even great grandchildren knowing that I did everything I could for them. I dont ever want to look at one of my kids and think where did I go wrong or why didnt I spend more time with them instead of the gym.

Either way majority of the time we will get our training done. Good for you man. Real proud of you. That is what makes a good dad.

Fatherhood was the best thing that ever happened to me, motivated me to get off my lazy ass and get back under the bar. Just had our second son last Wednesday. So now I've got twice as many reasons to lead by example.

intoodeep25
06-28-13, 12:44 am
haha with 300's in each hand there is no way your not in good condition. I cant do that at all.

I dealt with the #10 a lot. I have squated 585 lbs in the past, but I couldnt even bend over or even run a block. How can someone consider themselves strong if they cant even run a block?

definitely not running. more like staggering around and drooling trying to get oxygen in lol

Swolepez
07-03-13, 1:54 pm
I also agree with #6 & #9. I could give up lifting weights for 5 years and come back and a 50lb dumbbell will still be a 50lb dumbbell. Plus, muscle memory will help me ease back into it.
But with family its different, you miss so much and then have to spend time catching up while regretting your choices. And the only memory in this case would be that of your kid(s) and/or wife/husband remembering how you've been neglecting them and not being a priority in your life.

Simon
07-03-13, 4:05 pm
great post man! many true words in there...