PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift progress and the road to 500 lbs

Bruiser
07-01-13, 7:05 pm
About 11 months ago I was just out of the hospital from a long battle with pancreatitis and ulcerative colitis. I had just work my DL back up to 315 lbs. Around Sept-Oct I got it up 405! I was thrilled with that! Considering I was told 6 years ago that I would never lift 50 lbs again (botched back surgery that left me with nerve damage and confined to a wheelchair for several months). I never tried pulling 405 again until three weeks ago at the JTS Seminar in Chicago. With a few tweaks to my form (From Ed Coan) and some extra motivation (Pete Rubish) I pulled 405, 425, and 445! 40 lb PR. Loved it! Then a week ago I went and trained at a new amazing powerlifting and strongman gym, Madtown Fitness. I felt I had more in me and I was right. Pulled 455! All of this no belt. Then last week at Madtown I pulled 405 (my max from less than a month ago!) and hit it for three reps. I probably had more in me too. Then I did a ridiculous DL drop set for the first time ever. My back probably had another 5-10 reps in it but my legs were jello! Now I'm almost to my goal of pulling 500 at the Wisconisn ABC on August 3. I'll keep posting my progress here.

Here's a video Dan got of the 405x3 and the dropset from hell.

http://youtu.be/E9SSW42JBP0

RaisingTheBar
07-02-13, 4:24 pm
Badass, Bruiser! Way to fight back from all the surgery and setbacks. Inspirational!

Bruiser
07-02-13, 5:23 pm
Badass, Bruiser! Way to fight back from all the surgery and setbacks. Inspirational!

Thanks man! The first time I pulled 3 plates I thought that would be it and I was MORE than happy with that. Now I've crushed 4 plates and I'm on my way to 5+.

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
07-03-13, 2:29 am
Wait till we get a few more training sessions in together............... you'll be a deadlifting monster!

Bruiser
07-03-13, 7:54 am
Wait till we get a few more training sessions in together............... you'll be a deadlifting monster!

I like hearing that! I'll be down at Jakked to lift with you and the boys on July 13. Really looking forward to seeing you guys again.

mcbeast
07-03-13, 8:50 am
Proud of you Leigh. Stay tight, keep those arms fully extended when you initiate the pull and for the love of god (and your back) reset the reps!

Bruiser
07-04-13, 12:35 pm
Dan got a hold of me last night and said the gym would be open today from 6-11am... Hell. Why not? Time for some speed deads and a nice pull day. My hips and hamstrings were already pissed of at me, might as well make them hate me.

DEATHLIFT:
135 - 2x5
225 - 2x3
295 - 10x1

Seated leg curls- 5x15

Seated rows (varied grip) - 5x8

DB curls - 5x8-20

DONE