PDA

View Full Version : Thunder From Down Under. The Beginning.

youngblood
07-08-13, 5:55 pm
Hey Guys, brief background on me, I'm 21, been lifting to help performance on the rugby league field, fractured my patella in a tackle and realised it wasn't what I was enjoying. Have always known about powerlifting and used to train with power lifters on the conjugate method and enjoyed it more than anything.

Basically this is my journey to the platform. I want to compete, and be great. At the moment I'm coming back from injury so to me past lifts mean nothing. While I'm not the strongest (or even remotely strong compared to some) I will always work hard, waking up at 4am every morning to train in freezing cold Canberra ain't a joke.

Currently mainly hitting upper body (paused benches, reps, shoulders, back etc) in a power building style while slowly getting in some Deads and rehabbing the knee.

While young I've read more than most people know and know a fair bit about training but with training partners whom I am helping with their sport there isn't really anyone keeping tabs on me. I enjoy reading journeys here on the forvm and seeing bros keeping tabs on each others training and helping each other progress.

I am always open to criticism and hoping to learn as much as I can.

Cheers.

youngblood
07-08-13, 6:18 pm
Waddup, quick post on my current training layout.

Mon: Paused Bench
Tues: Light Deads, Heavy Abs, Rehab
Wed: Shoulders/Arm Pump
Thurs: Light Deads, Heavy Abs, Rehab
Fri: Rep Bench
Sat: Back
Sun: Rest

At the moment Deads is all Iam comfortable doing with my injured leg but am slowly getting back into some light squats/box skwats for rehab as well as sled work.

Gonna try a basic 6 week bench cycle I read by spoto which is basically heavy triples and adding 5 pounds per week and hopefully will hit a 150kg bench soon.

While it is awhile away I'm aiming to compete in a push/pull comp on the 1st of Dec and put up something not embarrassing, I'm putting my pride at stake and while I am rather far away from it at the moment I hope to hit a 160-175kg bench and a 250-260kg deadlift by then.

While small to some it is a big goal to me and I am confident I have what it takes to hit these numbers.

Chur.

youngblood
07-09-13, 7:53 pm
Just some shoulders and cheeky biceps, also just quickly I'm gonna be putting my weights as kilograms because that's how we roll over in Oz so don't be a hater haha

Seated Barbell OHP
Bar x 20, 40kg x 10, 60kg x 8, 70kg x 8, 80kg x 7(PR), 85kg x 5(PR), 55kg x 21

Seated DB OHP
30kg x 4 x 10

Lateral Raise DB
15kg x 4 x 10, then drop set

Banded Rope Face Pulls, 35, 35, 35
Ss
DB Shrugs @ 30kg (tight squeeze), 10, 10, 10

Assortment of curls for abit of a pump

If majority overrules ill change the weights to pounds but until then have fun converting ;)

Show some love peeps, chur

youngblood
07-12-13, 8:13 pm
Had a late night bench session last night @ Golds Gym, on low cals, and tired as hell from working all day, just trying to see where Iam at before I start a new bench cycle.

Bench Press
Bar x 20, 90lb x 20, 135lb x 10, 185lb x 6, 225lb x 5, 275lb x 3, 295lb x 1, 305lb x 1, 315lb x miss

Incline DB
@ 80s x 15, 10, 8, 6

Hammer Strength Chest Press
Worked up pyramid style to 4 plates and then did a drop set finishing with slow negatives and partials

Skull Crushers
Pyramiding up in weight and then drop setted

Rope Pushdowns
Pyramid then drop set

Dips @ BW x 50 reps

Considering my attitude going into the bench session not bad but still not where I want to be right now, 315 should've been easy but rushed the setup, didn't stay tight and lost leg drive, in 6 weeks ill crush this weight, watch this space.

The gym I go to at the moment is pretty much a garage type gym with a few squat racks and what not but the bars are cheap, stiff and thick and the gym doesn't have much in terms of machines so Ill hit up golds a few times a week but I just ordered a Texas Power Bar, Slingshot and some Adidas Power Perfect 2s so super excited to get them in and start getting stronger.

Peace.

youngblood
07-14-13, 6:28 pm
Bench session. Today was one of those days, woke up tired as hell, was still jacked up from last time I trained and everything felt heavy as hell. Reading an article from dan green called bench more by benching more but now starting to rethink my training set up.

Paused Bench Press
Warmed up to 255lb for 3 sets of triples

Wanted to overload the triceps as I'm waiting for my slingshot to come so did paused two boards, hit 305lb for a double and the second rep was a grinder. Wasn't happy so went back to 255lb for paused reps and did two more sets getting that speed off the chest.

DB Bench
Didn't warmup and went straight to 110s, should've hit it for 4 sets of 10 but it didn't happen; 10 reps, 6 reps, 8 reps

At this point I had tweaked my anterior delt and was ready to call it at that but thought I'd make up for the session with a whole lotta back

Single Arm Rows 5 x 8 @ 110s

Banded Lat Pull (Lilly styles) x 4 x 20
Ss
Lat Pull Down x 4 x 15
Ss
Chest Supp Row x 4 x 15

Triceps and Battle Ropes.

I know you've had it before, those days where everything is weak and you wish you could start the workout all over again? What do you do? How do you approach the rest of the week? Would love some feed back bros.

Peace.

youngblood
07-15-13, 7:48 pm
Progress is key. Made a huge step today and did my first body weight squats since fracturing my patella. While the injury is fully healed the fluid build up and instability of the surrounding muscles and tendons puts me in my place. But today was a good day. After doing a few sets of ten squats I decided to throw on the rehbands and jump under the bar doing a total of 10 sets of 10 working up to 60kg. Everything felt solid and I know I could've gone heavier, that's where I struggle. In lifting patience is a very hard thing for me to do, but after ready a few articles on patience and its importance I sucked up my pride and left with being happy I have finally got under the bar. I feel like my new journey has just begun and with work on the rise and things in life going good it seems to be coming together. While ill be only taking jumps of 5kg max each session my confidence is growing and soon enough ill be fit to compete. Very excited for the future ahead.

Watch this space.

youngblood
07-26-13, 2:29 am
Quick update, been busy with getting a new job and more clients, squatting and dead lifting again, keen to start throwing real weight around, peace

mr muscle
11-12-13, 7:54 am
how u going Thunder From Down Under

So i stumbled on your thread tonight great to see someone from Australia on this website.I too am from Sydney,New South Wales and from what you say Canberra aint a joke for being cold you are dead serious haven't been down there myself but my mate reckons its cold.hope your training and dedication is good and that you have a speedy recovery from your injury.

regards

mrdamo
11-13-13, 4:37 pm
Hey boys, good to see more Aussies are joining the board.

What gyms are you training at?

I know of very good powerlifiting/strength gyms in Sydney and Canberra if you like to check some other places out. Let me know and i'll post up the details for you.

youngblood
11-13-13, 6:59 pm
So been off here for abit, started training with josh bryant and couldn't be happier, strongest I've ever been and I'm just starting out, I train at a few gyms, who do you know in Canberra?

mrdamo
11-13-13, 7:28 pm
I know a few of the lifters from elite physique, John Sheridan Ray and Katie Carlisle and others.

mrdamo
11-14-13, 6:29 pm
Forgot to mention there's a PTC Canberra in the making as well.