PDA

View Full Version : Smith Machine Bar & T-Bar Rows

Swolepez
07-10-13, 4:28 pm
Hey guys, I've been keeping track of the weight I use to make sure I progress every workout in either reps or the amount of weight.
My questions is, do you count the weight of the smith machine bar to your totals or just the plates ? Also for t-bar rows I use the barbell and a cable row handle. Do i count the 45lb bar in my totals ( i currently dont)?

Chivalry
07-10-13, 9:30 pm
I always count the bar on the Smith Machine as it feels more like a 45lb bar in itself, but I do know that certain smith machines have lighter bars. That would truly have to be up to you on whether or not you want to add that weight onto it.

For T-bar rows, I never count the bar, only the weight that's being used.

rocky36
07-10-13, 10:17 pm
out of curiosity.. why do you use a smith machine for rows instead of a barbell?

Swolepez
07-11-13, 12:20 am
I always count the bar on the Smith Machine as it feels more like a 45lb bar in itself, but I do know that certain smith machines have lighter bars. That would truly have to be up to you on whether or not you want to add that weight onto it.

For T-bar rows, I never count the bar, only the weight that's being used.

Thanks man! That's what I was thinking but its annoying bc I've asked 3 workers at my gym how much the smith machine bar weighs and none of them know! They can't even give me a estimate so I was wondering if I should even count the bar at all. But your right, I do feel the weight of the bar so I will start to ask a worker again at my gym and see if they can tell me this time.

Ok good so I'm counting the t-bar rows correctly than, thanks bro!

Swolepez
07-11-13, 12:23 am
out of curiosity.. why do you use a smith machine for rows instead of a barbell?

Sorry bro, I didn't mean to make my question confusing. They were two separate questions: one was for the smith machine bar which I use for shoulder press and some chest lifts. The second question was regarding t-bar rows which I use the barbell.

But, I have used the smith machine for supinated rows before, I felt it hitting my back nicely....

rocky36
07-11-13, 12:28 am
oh gotcha, sorry about that i read the question kinda quickly lol, anyways i count the bar weight on the smith machine we have, however some are counter-weighted to near zero. Personally if it was me and the smith machine wasnt counter-weighted i would count the bar weight

Swolepez
07-11-13, 12:47 am
oh gotcha, sorry about that i read the question kinda quickly lol, anyways i count the bar weight on the smith machine we have, however some are counter-weighted to near zero. Personally if it was me and the smith machine wasnt counter-weighted i would count the bar weight

no problem bro, Yeah the bar I use is not counter-weighted so I need to go back to my gym and ask what the bar weighs....

Chivalry
07-11-13, 1:28 am
no problem bro, Yeah the bar I use is not counter-weighted so I need to go back to my gym and ask what the bar weighs....

If they don't know, find out the brand and goggle it and see if you can find the weight that way.

Swolepez
07-11-13, 10:15 am
If they don't know, find out the brand and goggle it and see if you can find the weight that way.

I feel stupid for not thinking of that lol.....thanks bro!