PDA

View Full Version : Greek God / Old School Pro's

In Flames
07-26-13, 9:29 am
Hey Animals! Does anyone else here train similar to the old school pro's of the Golden Age of BB'ing? Danny Padilla, Serge Nubret, Frank Zane, Vince Gironda, etc?

Danny Padilla would perform 5 sets of 12 with around 30 seconds of rest between sets. He would never pyramid the weight, he would keep the same weight on each set until he completed 12 reps on all 5 sets, than he would add weight next workout.

Serge Nubret trained in a very similar fashion to Padilla and Gironda. High volume, 5-8 sets of 12-15 reps with 30 seconds rest between sets. Like Padilla, he would never pyramid the weight. The weight would stay the same until he got all 12 reps.

Their workouts were cardio based as well since the high volume and very short rest periods. I've been training like this for a while and the pumps are incredible plus it's much easier on the joints. I'll probably get flamed for this, but i prefer the old school "Greek-god" statue look of the older pros compared to the pro's of today. The V-taper and small tight waists.

Just wondering if anyone else trains like this.

iamthemacattack
07-28-13, 5:06 am
I train pretty much the exact opposite to this... heavy, 3 sets.

Only similarity being High Intensity.

Mind you... that might be why I don't look like a Greek God...

rainman
07-28-13, 2:47 pm
I've always based my training on an initial '12 rep set', (where I know I can complete 12 reps every workout), and have gone from there. Whilst I don't do the 12-12-12-12-12 range, I mostly run a 12, 10, 8, 8, or a variation similar and pyramid the weight up. Occasionally I'll go for max reps on my '12 reps' and drop the weight over 4 sets. Other times I'll go for a max weight and work up using a 5, 3, 1 style pattern. I have never based any workouts on a '1 rep max' value, but appreciate how this style of training can benefit powerlifters for example. I may give the training you listed a try as I quite like mixing up my workouts at the moment and cardio is rubbish.

I also agree with you about the 'Greek God' era of bodybuilding. I feel it's a shame that it all seems to be more mass centred nowadays. I know this is what wins the Olympia, but I feel like to get to that point, more risks have to be taken to get there and it's a shame that you have to put yourself in that position to win. I can't deny that it is a seriously impressive feat to get that big, but the other day I stumbled across a Francis Benfatto profile and was blown away by his physique.

JHOORNSTRA
07-28-13, 9:42 pm
I thought that any set over 8 was considered cardio...? haha

rbowman91
07-29-13, 11:04 am
Hey Animals! Does anyone else here train similar to the old school pro's of the Golden Age of BB'ing? Danny Padilla, Serge Nubret, Frank Zane, Vince Gironda, etc?

Danny Padilla would perform 5 sets of 12 with around 30 seconds of rest between sets. He would never pyramid the weight, he would keep the same weight on each set until he completed 12 reps on all 5 sets, than he would add weight next workout.

Serge Nubret trained in a very similar fashion to Padilla and Gironda. High volume, 5-8 sets of 12-15 reps with 30 seconds rest between sets. Like Padilla, he would never pyramid the weight. The weight would stay the same until he got all 12 reps.

Their workouts were cardio based as well since the high volume and very short rest periods. I've been training like this for a while and the pumps are incredible plus it's much easier on the joints. I'll probably get flamed for this, but i prefer the old school "Greek-god" statue look of the older pros compared to the pro's of today. The V-taper and small tight waists.

Just wondering if anyone else trains like this.

I do train like this, yes.

However, i ALSO train at a lower volume with higher intensity. My training is constantly changing. I'm of the belief that "everything works". As long as its going at a high intensity and it hurts like hell, your muscles will have to respond by adapting (i.e., growth).

For example: Today I will do an arm routine entirely made of supersets. Short rests, high volume, huge pump (Nubret style). But next week, I will probably hit my arms with heavy working sets (non-superset), and incorporate more drop sets, and negative reps for added intensity. My rests will be longer.

I've seen the most gains from doing EVERYTHING, as opposed to one style vs another.

In Flames
07-30-13, 10:59 am
Awesome posts everyone. I agree as well with the much deserved respect for all the current pro's to get to that level. I agree with you rainman as well about Olympia now a days is a mass game which I wish it wasn't. Serge Nubret once called his style of training "cosmetic" bodybuilding. His main concern was shaping and sculpting his body to a work of art like the artists and sculptures of Michelangelo, Bernini, and the many other famous artists. That was Serge's ideal image, the sculptures of Achilles, David, Poseidon, etc.

Thanks for mentioning Francis Benfatto, another amazing physique. Bob Paris also I believe had one of the best proportioned physiques, unfortunately his sexuality is what really hurt him because you can't take away his almost perfect physique.

Vrotsos991
07-31-13, 12:54 am
I have to agree with the Greek god opinion. I like the look for Franco, Arnold, even Stallone. It for sure is impressive of what the top pros can take their body mass to, but I personally think its too far. I think that it has been taken too far but that is my opinion. When Arnold became popular, people wanted to look like that and it was achievable to a degree for most serous lifters. Now when you look at the current top 3, the average serous lifter will never obtain a figure like that without gear. I feel like its put some false hope in younger lifters.

For training I lift heavy but I don't go for the cosmetic look. I like being strong in a smaller package and my
Wife enjoys the type of look I attained.

iamthemacattack
07-31-13, 5:14 am
I personally appreciate both forms of bodybuilding - the classical look, Frank Zane, Bob Paris, Lee Labrada and the likes. But I also love the mass and freakiness of people like Markus Ruhl and Orville Burke and now Big Rami.

I just have insane levels of respect for anyone who has the dedication and the mindset to get their body into either that sort of condition and symmetry or to add that sort of muscle mass to their frame.

I just love the sport of bodybuilding and everything that goes with it.

Cellardweller
07-31-13, 10:37 am
I have a body like a Norse god.

Kingslayer
08-02-13, 9:14 pm
Frank Zane > Big Rami unless you really like sweat pants.

In Flames
08-03-13, 11:43 am
Frank Zane > Big Rami unless you really like sweat pants.

haha. I know it's all about personal opinion but I think Frank Zane, Serge Nubret, Francis Benfatto, Bob Paris, Steve Reeves own every top pro current bb'er. Their more aesthetically pleasing looking.

Fredo95
08-04-13, 1:38 pm
I'm also a follower of the old principles. Legs / Chest & Back / Shoulders & Arms, high volume, 8-12 reps and so on. Can't say I hate the type of physique that is required to be Mr.O this days, but It's not the kind of physique that I'm looking for. I prefer the golden age look, like many others out there I idolize Arnold Schwarzenegger, also like Sergio Oliva, Serge Nubret and Franco Columbu. Didn't know Bob Paris was gay 'till now...

KettleBellFreak
08-04-13, 4:49 pm
Thanks for mentioning Francis Benfatto, another amazing physique. Bob Paris also I believe had one of the best proportioned physiques, unfortunately his sexuality is what really hurt him because you can't take away his almost perfect physique.

Look at Bob Paris in his Olypmia line-ups, he's incredible. He's honestly my favorite bodybuilder gay or not. He was cast aside just for the homophobic bodybuilders at home not to turn away from the O. Best abs, phenomenal legs and incredibly portioned chest. Him, serge, Franco Columbu and Arnold will always be the best.

In Flames
08-04-13, 10:42 pm
Look at Bob Paris in his Olypmia line-ups, he's incredible. He's honestly my favorite bodybuilder gay or not. He was cast aside just for the homophobic bodybuilders at home not to turn away from the O. Best abs, phenomenal legs and incredibly portioned chest. Him, serge, Franco Columbu and Arnold will always be the best.

Amen. Agree 100% with everything you just wrote.

Wingman
08-04-13, 10:55 pm
I have been doing Serge Nubret's style of training for the past month, and honestly it has been the greatest progress I have ever made, even better than when I first started lifting. Using low weight is something a lot of guys do not like to do, but I feel that with this method, one can achieve a fuller, rounder physique. Rather than just going for huge, these routines allow for very nice symmetry. After the month of progress I have seen I will most definitely only train with this style, being high volume, little to no rest. Hitting 8 sets of 12 on squats with 30-60 seconds rest in between is probably the best/ worst thing ever. I tweaked the routine a bit, but it works wonders!

Serge is my favorite. Simply because of his proportions, work ethic, and how he ate like a fucking monster.

In Flames
08-05-13, 8:17 am
I have been doing Serge Nubret's style of training for the past month, and honestly it has been the greatest progress I have ever made, even better than when I first started lifting. Using low weight is something a lot of guys do not like to do, but I feel that with this method, one can achieve a fuller, rounder physique. Rather than just going for huge, these routines allow for very nice symmetry. After the month of progress I have seen I will most definitely only train with this style, being high volume, little to no rest. Hitting 8 sets of 12 on squats with 30-60 seconds rest in between is probably the best/ worst thing ever. I tweaked the routine a bit, but it works wonders!

Serge is my favorite. Simply because of his proportions, work ethic, and how he ate like a fucking monster.

Awesome to hear your progress man! Are you doing each body-part twice per week like Serge's split or only once per week? He did eat like a monster, 4-5lbs of meat a day, but he only ate once per day. He never snacked, never did the 6 meals a day, he would just sit down once a day and eat his entire food for the day in one sitting. Pretty impressive and very similar to Ori Hofmekler's "Warrior Diet" - eating only once per day and in the evening hours.

Wingman
08-05-13, 4:40 pm
Awesome to hear your progress man! Are you doing each body-part twice per week like Serge's split or only once per week? He did eat like a monster, 4-5lbs of meat a day, but he only ate once per day. He never snacked, never did the 6 meals a day, he would just sit down once a day and eat his entire food for the day in one sitting. Pretty impressive and very similar to Ori Hofmekler's "Warrior Diet" - eating only once per day and in the evening hours.

Gotta hit everything twice a week. I have never loved hitting the gym as much as I do now. I even look forward to the 8 sets of squats, knowing they will suck. And I have been eating about 2-5 meals a day depending. normally its about 4.

1) 6 eggs
2) 2 scoops whey, banana, milk or pb
3) half a chicken, 1lb of green beans or brocoli
4) same as 3
I'll throw 2 more scoops of whey and another banana after my workout as well.

If I dont get a chance to eat one of those meals Ill just combine it with whatever else I havent eaten yet. But these guys most definitely had it figured out. I have only been taking protein and multi vitamins, no supplements and I have never grown like this or felt like this. I highly, highly, highly recommend starting ASAP, and going balls out. Don't worry about the weight, just focus on getting the reps and squeezing the fuck out of everything.

The workouts I have been doing are in my journey, which is in my sig if you were curious how I have tweaked it.

In Flames
08-06-13, 2:00 pm
Gotta hit everything twice a week. I have never loved hitting the gym as much as I do now. I even look forward to the 8 sets of squats, knowing they will suck. And I have been eating about 2-5 meals a day depending. normally its about 4.

1) 6 eggs
2) 2 scoops whey, banana, milk or pb
3) half a chicken, 1lb of green beans or brocoli
4) same as 3
I'll throw 2 more scoops of whey and another banana after my workout as well.

If I dont get a chance to eat one of those meals Ill just combine it with whatever else I havent eaten yet. But these guys most definitely had it figured out. I have only been taking protein and multi vitamins, no supplements and I have never grown like this or felt like this. I highly, highly, highly recommend starting ASAP, and going balls out. Don't worry about the weight, just focus on getting the reps and squeezing the fuck out of everything.

The workouts I have been doing are in my journey, which is in my sig if you were curious how I have tweaked it.

Nice! I've been following the Nubret / Padilla style with a few tweaks for a few months now and I don't see myself training any other way for a while. I only hit everything once per week though, basic 5 day body-part split, hitting abs and calves every other day. I like to keep my workouts short but very intense. With the 30 second rest periods, it's a like a HIT session for each body-part but I'm sweating and trying to catch my breath, I love it.

I usually only eat 1-2 meals a day, lunch and dinner, sometimes only dinner, but sometimes it's like a 3 course meal for around 4 hours in the evening. This has worked wonders for keeping body-fat levels down. I have constant energy during the day since I have no food holding me down and getting me bloated. I drink water and black coffee If I get thirsty through out the day, and this keeps my blood sugar and insulin levels down so I have no crazy energy spikes. This style of eating goes against every other diet out there, but it works like a charm for staying lean and cut up, which is exactly my goal; Staying lean year round.

Aggression
08-06-13, 5:02 pm
I don't think anyone on here has to worry about getting 'too big like the current pros'. Most of us can train/eat like the top pros now and will never come close. So let's toss that part aside. Training, diet, and the overall bodybuilding lifestyle have greatly evolved (and continue to evolve) over the years. Years ago (Arnold and his buddy's era), more volume was the name of the game. Workouts lasted much longer than they do now. And they often trained twice a day at times. Now? People don't hit it with as much volume or frequency, both which play a big role in recovery/growth. Diet was extremely different as well. There wasn't drastic off-season gains or competitors dropping 40lbs of weight in order to hit stage-condition. Maybe if Arnold and his buddy's had the information we have today, they'd look a helluva lot different than they did back then.

Bottom line? Find something you like, both training and diet wise. Use the aforementioned bodybuilders as motivation and inspiration. But when it comes to how you want to 'look', train to look the best YOU can look.

Aggression
08-06-13, 5:03 pm
I usually only eat 1-2 meals a day, lunch and dinner, sometimes only dinner, but sometimes it's like a 3 course meal for around 4 hours in the evening. This has worked wonders for keeping body-fat levels down. I have constant energy during the day since I have no food holding me down and getting me bloated. I drink water and black coffee If I get thirsty through out the day, and this keeps my blood sugar and insulin levels down so I have no crazy energy spikes. This style of eating goes against every other diet out there, but it works like a charm for staying lean and cut up, which is exactly my goal; Staying lean year round.

Sounds similar to CarbBackloading.

Wingman
08-06-13, 7:00 pm
I hear ya, I plan on sticking with it. If you ever try the twice a week per body part let me know. Legs is stupid hard.

iamthemacattack
08-07-13, 2:49 am
I don't think anyone on here has to worry about getting 'too big like the current pros'. Most of us can train/eat like the top pros now and will never come close. So let's toss that part aside. Training, diet, and the overall bodybuilding lifestyle have greatly evolved (and continue to evolve) over the years. Years ago (Arnold and his buddy's era), more volume was the name of the game. Workouts lasted much longer than they do now. And they often trained twice a day at times. Now? People don't hit it with as much volume or frequency, both which play a big role in recovery/growth. Diet was extremely different as well. There wasn't drastic off-season gains or competitors dropping 40lbs of weight in order to hit stage-condition. Maybe if Arnold and his buddy's had the information we have today, they'd look a helluva lot different than they did back then.

Bottom line? Find something you like, both training and diet wise. Use the aforementioned bodybuilders as motivation and inspiration. But when it comes to how you want to 'look', train to look the best YOU can look.

Amen.

In Flames
11-26-13, 12:46 pm
Sounds similar to CarbBackloading.

Very similar to CarbBackLoading which works wonders. I think every serious lifter should definitely read this and apply its principles every now and than especially if you're trying to diet down for a photo shoot or competition.