PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you?

deanna7272
07-31-13, 1:04 am
I had a very frightening experience tonight... I went to the gym and it was leg day... I stretched in the corner, like usual and decided I was starting with squats... I have been doing box squats and decided to change things up this week. I lightened the weight and went low...

My first set of 10 felt good, different, but good... I go for my second set and on about the 7th rep, I get this HORRENDOUS pain on the lower left side of my skull.... It felt like someone stabbed me in the back of the head!!! I did 2 more and that was it. I stepped out of the rack and took the heel of my hands and buried them in my temples. The pain had radiated to my temples and behind my eyes... Now, if you follow my log you know that I have trained through headaches and just did what I could, but the stubborn side of me got back under the bar.... Two reps in on my 3rd set and I was done...

I racked and walked to the window... I took off my glasses, so that I could get to my temples easier... I couldn't hold back the tears, so I made a beeline for the ladies room... I made it halfway down the steps and had to sit. I was a little light headed, shaky, and felt like I was going to throw up. I took my pulse and it seemed to be in the normal range (no racing heartbeat.) After sitting there a few minutes, tears flowing, I decided it was time to go home.

I gathered my stuff, walked up on the stage and Bodey came to see if I was okay (I didn't tell him what was going on because he was in the middle of a set when I left the floor.) He came up and saw that I had tears flowing down my cheeks... I didn't mean to scare him, but I can't honestly say that I WASN'T scared. I told him what happened, and told I'm I would call if I needed him to come home. I left the gym and as soon as I got home, I took 3 ibuprofen and grabbed an ice pack and to the couch I went...

It was almost 60 minutes before the headache subsided from the onset (about 40 minutes once I got home.) Weird feelings in my head and nausea lasted longer through the night. I will tell you, I was scared to death... My first thought was, "ugh, my freakin' head hurts!" Then "holy crap, my head hurts SO freakin bad!!" Then it changed to "OMG, is something seriously wrong?"

After doing some researching, there were a couple people on bb.com (not that I follow that crap forum, but it cane up in my search) that experienced almost the SAME EXACT thing... It made me feel a little better, but I'm still a little freaked out about it. We texted Andy and he said that he has gotten it when he inadvertently lifted his head off the pad on leg press... Who knows if it was the same thing, but it comforted me a bit...

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else has experienced this... It scared me and I was definitely a little freaked out...

Bruiser
07-31-13, 8:51 am
Check your journey, I responded. Your inbox is full.

deanna7272
07-31-13, 10:28 am
Check your journey, I responded. Your inbox is full.

Thanks...
I saw that, I cleared a few out...lol

Madcat
07-31-13, 11:00 am
I actually used to get migranes from over hydration. Yes, there is such a thing. If you had a different kinda day and took in more water than usual, or didn't do the same amount of activity up until that point, could be something like that. I've gotten headaches at the gym, but seems like its a low blood sugar most of the time. I usually just slam my intra drink and get a few more sets in before I rush home to eat or stop on the way.

RedlegDbell
07-31-13, 12:09 pm
That's freakin scary! Never had that happen before D. I have gotten a headache before and during training but not like that. Headed to your journey now to read Bruisers post.

deanna7272
07-31-13, 12:30 pm
I actually used to get migranes from over hydration. Yes, there is such a thing. If you had a different kinda day and took in more water than usual, or didn't do the same amount of activity up until that point, could be something like that. I've gotten headaches at the gym, but seems like its a low blood sugar most of the time. I usually just slam my intra drink and get a few more sets in before I rush home to eat or stop on the way.

That's freakin scary! Never had that happen before D. I have gotten a headache before and during training but not like that. Headed to your journey now to read Bruisers post.

I have had headaches ranging from lack of caffeine, low blood sugar, allergies, sinuses, and vision blurring migraines (had the migraines since my 20's with no KNOWN triggers. I get a blurry area, kind of like looking in the sun or like an oil slick. If not treated ASAP, I get a pretty rough headache on the opposite side of the head from whichever eye it started in) before/during training but NOTHING like this... It was immediate INTENSE pain that felt like someone stabbed the back of my head!! Bad enough that it scared me.

I have upped my fluids, but nothing that I would consider over hydrating. My neck is a little sore today, but I think it may be because I slept with an ice pack under the back of my head... My traps and shoulders are sore from training them 2 days ago, but I still have a little residual headache going on.

I know things happen while lifting, I know injuries occur, but when you feel like someone smashed you in the back of the head it kinda freaks ya out...

Cellardweller
07-31-13, 1:54 pm
It was immediate INTENSE pain that felt like someone stabbed the back of my head!! Bad enough that it scared me.

I know things happen while lifting, I know injuries occur, but when you feel like someone smashed you in the back of the head it kinda freaks ya out...

I really think you should get checked out. It might be nothing but if it came on suddenly, isn't like any other headache you've had before and scares you that much then it's worth it just for piece of mind. The problem with looking up your symptoms online is that once you find something to match them your search stops. There can be several things with similar symptoms out there for whatever it is you are looking up, not just this. Online sources also don't take into account your personal/ family/ social medical history, meds, supps or herbals you may be taking as well as a bodybuilding lifestyle. This is why we still have doctors as much as we sometimes bash on them here myself included. They have their place and yes, they err on the side of caution, but you would too if people liked to sue you as much as doctors get threatened.

rainman
07-31-13, 2:54 pm
I've suffered from migraines since I was a boy. Again, no known triggers, but I believe it's food based as I haven't had hat many since I started eating healthier. I've had one come on mid way through deads, but not squats.

The thing that comes to mind with what you described though was a time when I was talking with a PT at my old gym who was telling me about how marathon runners go a bit mad after years of doing it. Something about restricting blood flow in to the brain through multiple small neck compressions when running long distances. I can't remember exactly what study he was quoting, but it kind of made sense, as boxers get knocked out by having the same thing restricted when their head is thrown back during a punch. Could you have possibly trapped a nerve in your neck or something when prepping for the lift?

(Sorry if I haven't made much sense. I didn't really listen to him about stretching either.)

JHOORNSTRA
07-31-13, 3:40 pm
That sucks...I've honestly never had a headache but can imagine how stressed you got when it was triggered by lifting. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

deanna7272
07-31-13, 4:12 pm
I really think you should get checked out. It might be nothing but if it came on suddenly, isn't like any other headache you've had before and scares you that much then it's worth it just for piece of mind. The problem with looking up your symptoms online is that once you find something to match them your search stops. There can be several things with similar symptoms out there for whatever it is you are looking up, not just this. Online sources also don't take into account your personal/ family/ social medical history, meds, supps or herbals you may be taking as well as a bodybuilding lifestyle. This is why we still have doctors as much as we sometimes bash on them here myself included. They have their place and yes, they err on the side of caution, but you would too if people liked to sue you as much as doctors get threatened.

I did look into other sites, but the reason I chose one that was actually related to lifting and such.... I guess I was going for that immediate satisfaction that "he survived, so will I"... I would have definitely went to the ER if that pain hadn't subsided... I am going to the doctors within the next 3 days and will definitely talk with them about it. ((My only concern with just talking with them is that sports medicine and the general practitioner usually aren't used in the same sentence...lol

I've suffered from migraines since I was a boy. Again, no known triggers, but I believe it's food based as I haven't had hat many since I started eating healthier. I've had one come on mid way through deads, but not squats.

The thing that comes to mind with what you described though was a time when I was talking with a PT at my old gym who was telling me about how marathon runners go a bit mad after years of doing it. Something about restricting blood flow in to the brain through multiple small neck compressions when running long distances. I can't remember exactly what study he was quoting, but it kind of made sense, as boxers get knocked out by having the same thing restricted when their head is thrown back during a punch. Could you have possibly trapped a nerve in your neck or something when prepping for the lift?

(Sorry if I haven't made much sense. I didn't really listen to him about stretching either.)

This cracked me up because I am terrible with stretching or rolling for recovery...lol. Your post makes sense though and my immediate thought was definitely something with the blood vessels... Hopefully the doc will shed some light...

That sucks...I've honestly never had a headache but can imagine how stressed you got when it was triggered by lifting. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Thanks JH... Oh I was freaked out to say the least... I've never had that pain, I kept thinking "Dear God, please don't tell me I'm having an aneurysm..."

JHOORNSTRA
07-31-13, 4:37 pm
I did look into other sites, but the reason I chose one that was actually related to lifting and such.... I guess I was going for that immediate satisfaction that "he survived, so will I"... I would have definitely went to the ER if that pain hadn't subsided... I am going to the doctors within the next 3 days and will definitely talk with them about it. ((My only concern with just talking with them is that sports medicine and the general practitioner usually aren't used in the same sentence...lol

This cracked me up because I am terrible with stretching or rolling for recovery...lol. Your post makes sense though and my immediate thought was definitely something with the blood vessels... Hopefully the doc will shed some light...

Thanks JH... Oh I was freaked out to say the least... I've never had that pain, I kept thinking "Dear God, please don't tell me I'm having an aneurysm..."

I do agree with getting it checked out...don't think it's an aneurysm as it is better now...I had a medic I worked with that had a headache after lifting light, crossfit stuff, and went to ER, took xray, cat scan, etc and nothing. Went home...few days later couldn't take it, so and went back again, said probably nothing but let me do a spinal tap...ended up having a bad aneurysm, went in and told him that a helicopter was on the way, tell family it's 50/50 even coming back...not to scare you and as I said, it's probably not that but you never know. Better safe than sorry when it comes to your health.

deanna7272
07-31-13, 7:20 pm
I do agree with getting it checked out...don't think it's an aneurysm as it is better now...I had a medic I worked with that had a headache after lifting light, crossfit stuff, and went to ER, took xray, cat scan, etc and nothing. Went home...few days later couldn't take it, so and went back again, said probably nothing but let me do a spinal tap...ended up having a bad aneurysm, went in and told him that a helicopter was on the way, tell family it's 50/50 even coming back...not to scare you and as I said, it's probably not that but you never know. Better safe than sorry when it comes to your health.

Oh yea, NOT scared at all now...lol. Just kidding, but you are exactly right... I actually contacted a friend as soon as I got home and he said that his buddy's wife suffered a stroke and another with a blood clot... I am going to head to see my doc tomorrow and let them know what happened...

I have to grasp at the fact that we are not invincible... There are so many factors that come into play with our health and well being that sometimes trying to pinpoint what caused what takes someone that knows more that I do...lol

JHOORNSTRA
07-31-13, 8:15 pm
Oh yea, NOT scared at all now...lol. Just kidding, but you are exactly right... I actually contacted a friend as soon as I got home and he said that his buddy's wife suffered a stroke and another with a blood clot... I am going to head to see my doc tomorrow and let them know what happened...

I have to grasp at the fact that we are not invincible... There are so many factors that come into play with our health and well being that sometimes trying to pinpoint what caused what takes someone that knows more that I do...lol

Good, I'm sure it's nothing but at least you'll know now.

deanna7272
08-01-13, 10:19 pm
Went to the doctor today...

A little "good" and a little "eh"... I'm not going to say bad, because it's not "bad bad." It's just something that I need to watch... If it happens again, the doc said that she will get me in for an MRI to see what's going on, but I think we kinda pinpointed something...

I mentioned that I have been dealing with these headaches, like allergy or sinus headaches for a while... Well, a fact that I didn't really think of until today is the fact that the last 2 dr. appts that I have gone to my bp has been elevated. I ALWAYS carry a low bp at 110/70 bp ((and my cholesterol is at a good range also.)) My last 2 appts, my bp has been 130+/80+... I thought maybe it was a fluke last time, but I guess not. After talking with the doc, my family history is riddled with heart conditions (momma passed from a heart attack and had a couple minor ones, her brother had several angioplasties to clear the arteries and on my daddy's side, my Pap passed from a massive, grandma had open heart, and an uncle had open heart at 12!!) So, it's not crazy to think that it may be in my future.

She suggested that I start journaling my headaches and bp (I bought a cuff to have at home) and gave me some ranges to follow. If it's above a certain level, she said NO TRAINING. That could have been one of the issues that caused the head thing the other day...

So that's a start, our first course of action is to try to lower the bp by changing a few things here and there. My diet is clean, except for a little PB here and there and our cheats on Saturday. Other than the cheats (which has been narrowed to one meal out and a dessert) the rest of the week has been clean. There are a few factors that can attribute to this also... My weight has gone up (I thanked the doc for noticing...lol) and I have been dealing with some seasonal anxiety again this summer, so this may also attribute to the bp issue, BUT there is ONE thing that I have added to my diet (since Feb) that may attribute to the whole package... I started using coconut oil daily... Now, I researched it before using and thought that it would be a better source of fat... Maybe, maybe not, but I have decided that as of tomorrow the coconut oil is gone and we shall see... MCTs are supposed to be used by the body differently than saturated fats, but like I said, maybe, maybe not...

So, in a nutshell, no tests run just yet, but controlling (and being more aware of) my bp (without meds) is the first step. Hopefully the headaches go away and I don't experience THAT pain again... Thanks for all the concern for my wellbeing through messages and texts... I'm thankful to have such a group of friends here....

JHOORNSTRA
08-01-13, 10:35 pm
Went to the doctor today...

A little "good" and a little "eh"... I'm not going to say bad, because it's not "bad bad." It's just something that I need to watch... If it happens again, the doc said that she will get me in for an MRI to see what's going on, but I think we kinda pinpointed something...

I mentioned that I have been dealing with these headaches, like allergy or sinus headaches for a while... Well, a fact that I didn't really think of until today is the fact that the last 2 dr. appts that I have gone to my bp has been elevated. I ALWAYS carry a low bp at 110/70 bp ((and my cholesterol is at a good range also.)) My last 2 appts, my bp has been 130+/80+... I thought maybe it was a fluke last time, but I guess not. After talking with the doc, my family history is riddled with heart conditions (momma passed from a heart attack and had a couple minor ones, her brother had several angioplasties to clear the arteries and on my daddy's side, my Pap passed from a massive, grandma had open heart, and an uncle had open heart at 12!!) So, it's not crazy to think that it may be in my future.

She suggested that I start journaling my headaches and bp (I bought a cuff to have at home) and gave me some ranges to follow. If it's above a certain level, she said NO TRAINING. That could have been one of the issues that caused the head thing the other day...

So that's a start, our first course of action is to try to lower the bp by changing a few things here and there. My diet is clean, except for a little PB here and there and our cheats on Saturday. Other than the cheats (which has been narrowed to one meal out and a dessert) the rest of the week has been clean. There are a few factors that can attribute to this also... My weight has gone up (I thanked the doc for noticing...lol) and I have been dealing with some seasonal anxiety again this summer, so this may also attribute to the bp issue, BUT there is ONE thing that I have added to my diet (since Feb) that may attribute to the whole package... I started using coconut oil daily... Now, I researched it before using and thought that it would be a better source of fat... Maybe, maybe not, but I have decided that as of tomorrow the coconut oil is gone and we shall see... MCTs are supposed to be used by the body differently than saturated fats, but like I said, maybe, maybe not...

So, in a nutshell, no tests run just yet, but controlling (and being more aware of) my bp (without meds) is the first step. Hopefully the headaches go away and I don't experience THAT pain again... Thanks for all the concern for my wellbeing through messages and texts... I'm thankful to have such a group of friends here....

Awesome, could've been worse and def a step in the right direction. Prevention is the best medicine. Glad to hear you're taking measures to ensure the same hereditary conditions don't catch up with you as well. Good luck.

deanna7272
08-01-13, 10:54 pm
Awesome, could've been worse and def a step in the right direction. Prevention is the best medicine. Glad to hear you're taking measures to ensure the same hereditary conditions don't catch up with you as well. Good luck.

I was happy that I had the woman that I did for a doc today (my PCP is the head of an Urgent Care, so I see whoever is there...lol). She was previously an athlete, knew what I was talking about when I explained how I was squatting!! When we discussed family history, I said, "you know how hard I try to fight this? I thought I had it beat." lol...

I know that there are things that are just going to happen, but one thing that I am fortunate enough to have is the knowledge of HOW to fix it and the WILL to do what needs to be done. I know that I have a lot of friends that if this was their diagnosis, the first thing they would do is go the pharmaceutical route (because it's easier)... That will be my LAST course of action if there's anything I can do about it!!

Thanks for the well wishes... I'm crossing my fingers and toes...

JHOORNSTRA
08-01-13, 11:14 pm
I was happy that I had the woman that I did for a doc today (my PCP is the head of an Urgent Care, so I see whoever is there...lol). She was previously an athlete, knew what I was talking about when I explained how I was squatting!! When we discussed family history, I said, "you know how hard I try to fight this? I thought I had it beat." lol...

I know that there are things that are just going to happen, but one thing that I am fortunate enough to have is the knowledge of HOW to fix it and the WILL to do what needs to be done. I know that I have a lot of friends that if this was their diagnosis, the first thing they would do is go the pharmaceutical route (because it's easier)... That will be my LAST course of action if there's anything I can do about it!!

Thanks for the well wishes... I'm crossing my fingers and toes...

Yeah, good idea, the med route seems more often than not to cause another problem, which is solved with meds...that create a whole new problem. Sucks. Nothing like a healthy diet, sleep and regular exercise. It will work out and for the best...I'm sure you're be squatting again soon...

korn_fed
08-02-13, 1:52 am
Sometimes I'll get crazy pains right at the top of my neck where my spine meets my skull when I'm doing leg press, like someone its bashing a tire iron into the back of my head. I have a habit of pushing my head forward when on the leg press. Strain from 1200lbs + strain on neck from pushing my head forward = getting stabbed in the back of the head. Low and behold, I focused on keeping my head back on the seat, no more crazy pain!

BigChrisF
08-02-13, 2:11 am
I have strained the muscle on the back of my neck, near the base of my skull while lifting. It really hurt and caused a headache for a couple hours.

Appollonian
08-02-13, 8:34 am
Hopefully everything turns out OK at the doctor.

I have strained the muscle on the back of my neck, near the base of my skull while lifting. It really hurt and caused a headache for a couple hours.

This was similar to what happened to me. I felt a twinge in my neck, then a flood of warm sensation in my neck/trap on the left side but no pain immediately, then a strong headache that didn't go away till the next day. Then my neck was in pain and I was unable to turn my head more than a few degrees for about a week.

deanna7272
08-02-13, 1:20 pm
See, that's the thing that bothered me is that from what I experienced, I truly do not believe it was muscular. The doc and I discussed "maybe" I brought my head back a little too far to keep my eyes on my focal point. The bar was in the usual position, and IF I happened to go deeper than usual, it was no more than an inch, maybe...

Hopefully, it was just a "perfect storm" sort of incident, I just hope that it's a one and done kinda thing... I'm just glad I'm not alone in all this... ;-)

Wrath
08-04-13, 8:58 pm
I had a very frightening experience tonight... I went to the gym and it was leg day... I stretched in the corner, like usual and decided I was starting with squats... I have been doing box squats and decided to change things up this week. I lightened the weight and went low...

My first set of 10 felt good, different, but good... I go for my second set and on about the 7th rep, I get this HORRENDOUS pain on the lower left side of my skull.... It felt like someone stabbed me in the back of the head!!! I did 2 more and that was it. I stepped out of the rack and took the heel of my hands and buried them in my temples. The pain had radiated to my temples and behind my eyes... Now, if you follow my log you know that I have trained through headaches and just did what I could, but the stubborn side of me got back under the bar.... Two reps in on my 3rd set and I was done...

I racked and walked to the window... I took off my glasses, so that I could get to my temples easier... I couldn't hold back the tears, so I made a beeline for the ladies room... I made it halfway down the steps and had to sit. I was a little light headed, shaky, and felt like I was going to throw up. I took my pulse and it seemed to be in the normal range (no racing heartbeat.) After sitting there a few minutes, tears flowing, I decided it was time to go home.

I gathered my stuff, walked up on the stage and Bodey came to see if I was okay (I didn't tell him what was going on because he was in the middle of a set when I left the floor.) He came up and saw that I had tears flowing down my cheeks... I didn't mean to scare him, but I can't honestly say that I WASN'T scared. I told him what happened, and told I'm I would call if I needed him to come home. I left the gym and as soon as I got home, I took 3 ibuprofen and grabbed an ice pack and to the couch I went...

It was almost 60 minutes before the headache subsided from the onset (about 40 minutes once I got home.) Weird feelings in my head and nausea lasted longer through the night. I will tell you, I was scared to death... My first thought was, "ugh, my freakin' head hurts!" Then "holy crap, my head hurts SO freakin bad!!" Then it changed to "OMG, is something seriously wrong?"

After doing some researching, there were a couple people on bb.com (not that I follow that crap forum, but it cane up in my search) that experienced almost the SAME EXACT thing... It made me feel a little better, but I'm still a little freaked out about it. We texted Andy and he said that he has gotten it when he inadvertently lifted his head off the pad on leg press... Who knows if it was the same thing, but it comforted me a bit...

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else has experienced this... It scared me and I was definitely a little freaked out...

I had that many times been years since I have felt that and it fucking kills
And then it just went away.

deanna7272
08-04-13, 9:33 pm
I had that many times been years since I have felt that and it fucking kills
And then it just went away.

I am hoping it's a one time thing... I trained back tonight, paying close attention to my head position, breathing, etc... At the end of my workout, I started to feel a slight tightening in the left trap... I am making an appt with my med massage therapist tomorrow and he may be able to answer something...