PDA

View Full Version : Training for NOTLD and Relentless Detroit

Freakshowelite
08-03-13, 5:25 pm
I recently had the opportunity to compete deathlift only, a week after my full meet in Iowa. I was just curious as to how much I could pull in just a singlet. I was very excited to hit a 705 conv, which is not the stance I train. On Wed, 4 days later I decided to do something stupid and see if I could match that sumo, I did. It didnt look as pretty but I locked it. This in no way means I am ditching the gear! I am a geared lifter. But I am going to take some serious strides towards improving my raw strength.

Deathlifts:
Wed was actually supposed to be a squat rep day. Right from just the bar every muscle in my legs was cramping, from front to back, and hard. I was so pissed because it came out of no where. I might have had a little less water that day, but not enough to give that kind of reaction. I made it to 315 and could squat anymore. I stomped around for about 15min like a little baby, frustrated, and decided to see if deads were effected. They weren't, and actually felt really good. So I decided to try and match my dead from sunday.

135x3
225x3
315x1
405x1
495x1(straps added, my hands were still torn up from the dead bar at the meet)
605x1
705x1

Conv deficit 3in
4 sets of 5 with 405

Freakshowelite
08-04-13, 2:39 pm
I wanted to get an idea of what I had to work with squatting raw. My initial goal of the day was 315x10 and 500x1 with no belt or wraps. I brought my stance in closer than in my gear, it felt not to bad

Squats
Bar(55lbs)x10x3
145x10
195x10
235x10
325x10
375x3
415x3
465x3
505x3

impressive by no means, but I havent free squatted in years.

Front Squats
235x5 4 sets

Leg Press
5 sets of 20

Hammy curls against orange band
4 sets of 12

Sled drag
6 trips

Paul Carter explaining to me how even though raw may feel weird, it will come back very fast. This analogy made so much sense to me, I wanted to share.

"Nothing at all wrong with those man. I think the main thing right now is, since you haven't done them in so long they feel "off" or "weird". In two weeks, they will feel fine again and the "grooves" will get reinforced.

Do you play video games? If so, think about someone handing you a new video game controller. Same game, but a new controller. All of a sudden you suck at it. You built "muscle memory" in with the other controller and you know what buttons to push, and WHEN to push them in order to do whatever you want to do on the game.

No different here. It's still a squat. However you've been using a different controller for a while, so you feel out of your element. Your hip drive looks good, your posture looks good, your depth is awesome. Nothing wrong with any of those. It just feels like shit because you are used to "feeling" other aspects of the squat in order to perform it. Give it a few weeks and you'll be fine man."

Riffmaster
08-05-13, 10:24 am
Definitely in for this!

Freakshowelite
08-11-13, 5:24 pm
My mission was to work on being explosive and driving as hard as I could all the way till the end of the lift. This light of weight still feels heavier than it should, but I'm a work in progress.

Prowler warm up
no weight
4 trips
large steps

Squat
bar(55)x10 3 sets
145x5
195x5
235x5
285x5
325x5
375x5

Leg press: single leg
4 sets of 20 each leg

Hammy curl
against orange efs pro band
4 sets of 20

Freakshowelite
08-11-13, 5:25 pm
Last night was a rep night. I was happy with how last night went. I took advice I got from EFS team members and tried forcing my knees out. You can't see it but I was haha. I was having a discussion with Paul Carter about my set up. We were discussing feet tucked vs feet out in front of the knees. Feet out I cannot keep my butt from coming up. We decided to stay with what was comfortable and work on leg drive. He proceeded to call me Buffalo Bill and keep it tucked haha. Apparenetly you need to reference a trans gender serial killer for me to "get it". I feel like I am getting leg drive, but thats the number one thing everyone points out that I lack.

Raw Bench
Barx10 3 sets
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x5
365x5 4 sets
Slingshot
405x5 3bd
405x5 2bd
405x5 1bd
405x5 touch

Floor press
-legs flat
-flat back
-CG, elbows in
-Axel Bar
135x10
185x10
225x10
add 1 chain each sidex10
add another chainx10

Grenade Ball tricep pressdown
4 sets of 15

Freakshowelite
08-11-13, 5:28 pm
On Friday I had an ahhh haaa moment with my deadlifts. I have always aspired to pull like guys like Andrey Belyaev, and Chris Duffin. Their form is just flawless, almost no wasted motion. They are very technical deathlifters. They pull the slack out the bar and load perfectly.

My pull has always looked like a door hinge opening. Early on in competing I could keep up with form like that. But now that the weights are getting heavier I don't have much left in the tank when it comes to deads in a meet. The way I pull requires a lot of back. My deadlift numbers in meets have hit a wall. I have always tried to be a technical lifter but with deads I just couldn't get it to click.

If you watch those guys pull you can see their knees can externally rotate, they sit back, and pull the slack out of the bar. Its almost like they squat the weight up. Its a clean, straight up motion. No matter what I tried I could never get into postion, knees out, sat back, and torso up right. I thought maybe I wasn't flexible enough or maybe something else. I would try to sit back but alls that would happen is I would move down thru the balls of my feet, and my knees wouldnt externally rotate, leaving me still hunched over. There wasn't anyone out there, no matter how well informed they were, who could explain it for me so it clicked. Until I tried teaching a teammate to load the bar.

One of my training partners, Dusty, has a great pull. 500@165 raw. His pull is strong but its still a little bit choppy. I suggested he watch videos of Belyaev to polish up his form. Dusty came back the next day and showed me whats up. I watched him experimenting, walking thru the steps trying to figure it out. Towards the end of the night it clicked for him. It was as simple as him saying, " when I set up, just before I pull I just push my hips forward". It was a combination of watching him walk thru this process, and the way he described it, it finally clicked in my head.

I tried it today and was just dumb founded. I finally figured out how to do it. I am so excited to try this on wed when I pull. Below I added video of myself walking thru it. The first two reps are how I used to pull. The last two reps are with the new approach. I am very excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPaioMDbxd0&feature=share&list=UUbzbUMQgtxMAUKmNbesRccA

Goldstone
08-13-13, 12:22 pm
Thanks for the video explanation, Marshall. I really want to try this now, as your original form is how I've always attempted to pull sumo.

How easy was it to make the change of just pulling the hips through? Literally just swing them forward before the pull?

Kowboy
08-13-13, 1:22 pm
Nice, thanks to you I had my moment w/ conventional pullling. It looks like everything is def moving forward for you.

freighttraindane
08-13-13, 1:33 pm
Thanks for sharing this FS. I am still looking for my lightbulb to go off in terms of deathlifts. See ya in a couple months in Detroit!

Freakshowelite
08-15-13, 7:15 pm
Resurrecting the dead
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been almost two weeks since started to put together a plan to improve my deathlift. Last night I was finally able to lift, it was so hard not being able to deadlift. Like I had said before I was having problems understanding how to load my hips and keep my body upright. Something I struggle with, both writing and training, I cannot just be told something. I have to be inspired, something has to click. Its always random and always inconsistent. I have had some of the best lifters/coaches in the country try to help me, but it never clicked. What clicked for me, was watching my training partner Dusty trouble shoot and walk himself through learning it. It can be very frustrating at times, but I suppose as long as I have that "ahh haa" moment its all good I suppose.

My goal for the night was to put in a lot of reps, reinforce the form. I decided on raw, 4 sets of 5 off the floor, 4 sets of 5 off 3in blocks, and 4 sets of 5 off a 3in deficit. I used 70% of my raw 1rm. I didn't want the weight to be to light, but still wanted to be able to hit 60 reps total. When we got to the 3rd round, deficits I decided I still wanted the same weight at lockout, but I needed it a little lighter in the hole. So we dropped the weight and put chains to replace it. I had a new guy with me, Chris, he follwed me every rep and every set! Awesome!

Raw sumo pulls off the floor

4 sets of 5 with 500lbs

*The sets felt great, it felt like I was making some real improvements but the tape told a different story. I was loading the bar with my hips a little bit but as soon as I went tlift the weight off the floor my hips shot back and my chest fell. Very small changes in round one.

Raw sumo pulls off 3in blocks

4 sets of 5 with 500lbs

*After watching the video and seeing that I was still doing it wrong I focused a lot harder on keep my chest up. These sets looked a little bit better. Still a lot to work on, but its a good start.

Deficits conv raw

4 sets of with with 315bar weight+170lbs chain

*Something I took from David Hansen was using deficit deads against tension as explosive speed work. I really enjoy these

So all in all I feel good about doing 60 reps with 70% I feel like I busted my ass, but I don't feel wrecked and in pain.

Here is a little vid I shot after our training sesh, explaining what I am trying to accomplish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4DleX2NOZ0&feature=share&list=UUbzbUMQgtxMAUKmNbesRccA

naturalguy
08-16-13, 10:26 am
This in no way means I am ditching the gear! I am a geared lifter. But I am going to take some serious strides towards improving my raw strength.

This is good to hear, getting stronger raw will only help you get stronger in gear. I have no doubt you would be a GREAT raw lifter as well

P Diesel
08-16-13, 10:32 am
awesome brotha, increasing ur raw strength can onyl correlate into bigger geared numbers. see u in TN

P

Goldstone
08-16-13, 2:19 pm
Pumped to see your deadlift take off to the next level, Marshall. Thanks for the video explanation.

I definitely have some things to play with after my meet. These vids helped a lot!

Freakshowelite
08-17-13, 6:19 pm
This is good to hear, getting stronger raw will only help you get stronger in gear. I have no doubt you would be a GREAT raw lifter as well

thank you very much, I think the carry over will be great

Freakshowelite
08-17-13, 6:20 pm
awesome brotha, increasing ur raw strength can onyl correlate into bigger geared numbers. see u in TN

P

hope your training is going well, do you have a youtubes channel

Freakshowelite
08-17-13, 6:20 pm
Pumped to see your deadlift take off to the next level, Marshall. Thanks for the video explanation.

I definitely have some things to play with after my meet. These vids helped a lot!

absolutey goldie, I hope all is well with you

P Diesel
08-19-13, 10:45 am
hope your training is going well, do you have a youtubes channel

i believe there is an old one floating around on there. the combiantion of camera has been busted, training alone and being a technological moron isnt helping haha. ive been asked quite a bit for video updates so im gna see what i can do. i think i am the only raw lifter at this meet from what i am seein. got sum work to do before then my brotha. hope its goin well for u so far

P

Freakshowelite
08-21-13, 5:58 pm
Sunday was a great day. We had two new guys, and two very good friends from out of town training with us. My goal was to hit 405 for 4 sets of 5 completely raw. I am finally starting to get more comfortable squatting raw. You can tell I am squatting more aggressive and confident. Afterwards I figured we had so much extra help I would try to break in a new squat suit.

Squat
Bar(55)x 10 3 sets
145x5
235x5
325x5
415x5
Metal IPF V-Type Squatter
505x3-straps down
555x3
595x3
645x3
685x1-straps up

Speed pulls
raw
9 sets of 3
335lbs

Freakshowelite
08-21-13, 5:59 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8r9N6nPVQ

Freakshowelite
08-21-13, 6:02 pm
Raw bench
barx10 3 sets
135x10
185x3
225x3
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x1
435x1
455x1 slingshot
495x1
525x1

Floor press
4 sets of 10

Motivation for myself last night was lacking. But my motivation for helping the teammates and guests from out of town was very high. There were a lot of friends training, hitting big pr's, and killing it. I was very happy about this. My good friend bubbles hit a big bench PR in a shirt he had never worn before. Yoshi had a great day to, put in a lot of work and volume! All in all it was a great night

Firefist
08-21-13, 7:40 pm
Yo freakshow, your latest vid on goals was exactly what I needed to kick myself in the ass and wake up. I've been so hellbent on pulling heavy singles every workout like im going into a meet, and my progress stopped for the longest time. I've been forcing myself to do what I need to do to succeed on the platform and your vid was the nail in the coffin to bring it on home. So thanks for that.

Definitely in for this great cause. Following along for the last relentless meet you did was a breath of fresh air. I'll support relentless every event, every year. Can't wait for that signature shirt.

Freakshowelite
08-25-13, 8:39 pm
Yo freakshow, your latest vid on goals was exactly what I needed to kick myself in the ass and wake up. I've been so hellbent on pulling heavy singles every workout like im going into a meet, and my progress stopped for the longest time. I've been forcing myself to do what I need to do to succeed on the platform and your vid was the nail in the coffin to bring it on home. So thanks for that.

Definitely in for this great cause. Following along for the last relentless meet you did was a breath of fresh air. I'll support relentless every event, every year. Can't wait for that signature shirt.

absolutely your welcome! I am so glad you got something out of it. The only way I learn is usually the hard way

And thank you so much for the support of Relentless

Freakshowelite
08-25-13, 8:44 pm
I have been trying so long to get into a good position on bench. I get tons of advice from multiple people. So of course someone one will always get upset because everyone has a different opinion on which way is the best. Leg drive is usually the problem that people try to help me fix. If I put my feet out in front of my knees I cannot keep my butt on the bench. If I tuck my feet under me I cannot drive my heels. With either position when I bring the bar down I try to bring my body to the bar, and create as big of an arch as possible. Since I am already driving up with my legs, when it comes to press I have to room left to leg drive because they are already driven. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying anyway is wrong, its just that not any way is universal. I have seen people have tremendous numbers either way. Chad Aichs, and Vincent Dizenzo crush weight with feet forward. Frey and Joey Smith have a ton of success with feet tucked. I am just saying you have to find what works for you.

For bench on Friday I just decided to say "F" it and lay down on the bench, roll around until something felt comfortable and strong and roll with it. I thought, there are plenty of guys out there with big benches that don't have hug arches. I ended up with a neutral foot position, flat feet, and a mild arch. I was able to feel a little bit of leg drive. Granted it still looks like crap, but I feel like there was some improvement for me.

Bench
60%
4 sets of 5
315lbs 4 sets of 5

Floor press
same weight
4 sets of 5

Flat bench
buffalo bar(trying to create a deficit)
225+90lbs chain
4 sets of five

This was a great day of work, lots of sets with moderate weight.

Freakshowelite
08-25-13, 8:45 pm
This weekend we traveled to Minneapolis(Burnsville) MN to train at my sponsors gym SouthSide Athletic. There was a huge deathlift party planned for Saturday. Also a birthday party Saturday night for our friend Jen Zerwas. There had to be about 20-30 people there training. It was packed. With about 12 people on our platform it took a while but it was still a blast. My two old teammates Brian Carley and John Wood(60yr old ass kicker) came down to train with me. It was just like old times. Carley is as strong if not stronger than me, so we are always pushing each other. Plus Woody is 60yrs old and still hitting huge pr's so that's very inspiring. I will never let Carley go last again, that f'r will always do one more rep than me if he goes last!

*The goal today was to pull 85% of my raw max, for multiple sets and from multiple angles. All raw with no belt.

From the floor(sumo)
135x8 a few sets
225x3
315x1
405x1
495x1
585x3 4 sets 12 reps total

Block pulls(sumo)
bar starts below the knees
585x3 4 sets 12 reps total

Deficit 4in(conv)
*at this point the body is pretty tired, so I took to plates off of our original weight(585) and then replaced the weight taken off with chains. So it was still 585 at the top.

405+chains(585 at top)
4 sets of 3
last set was a 5in deficit
12 reps total

*36 reps total

*after a workout like this I will not pull next week. Plus I will not squat again until next weekend. Something I trying really hard to do is find that medium between training hard and recovering.

Freakshowelite
08-26-13, 9:09 pm
Still trying to find whats right. I feel about one out of every three reps felt some what correct. I am still pushing with my legs straight up, just causing my hips to raise. I have to remember to push back. It will come though, slowly but surely.

Speed bench
9 sets of 3
3 seperate grips
wide-med-close
225lbs

DB press
125's 4 sets of 10

Precor Fly Machine
4 sets of 20

DB Side raise
5 sets of 20

DB front raise
5 sets of 20

Standing one arm milt press
5 sets of 10
ending with 70's

Freakshowelite
08-29-13, 8:50 pm
Liar! Yes I know I am a liar, I said I wasn't going to deathlift until next week. But I wanted to do work damnit! Well more or less I am trying to polish my form and I need reps and reps and time over the bar. So I did equipt pulls with 50% I wanted the emphasis of the day to be putting work in, so I made my pulls a secondary lift. I started the day with the prowler and sled drags.

Prowler
50 yard walks
4 trips empty

Sled drag
100lbs
200yard walk
2 trips
I really liked this btw, I was beat after

Speed Pulls
raw
275 4 sets of 3

Add single ply briefs
405 6 sets of 3

Still feels choppy 75% of the time. I had some good reps hidden in there.

Freakshowelite
09-10-13, 8:18 pm
Deathlifts

Raw deficit
-3in deficit completely raw
405x3 x5

Front squats
-completely raw
325x5 x5
*apparently my flexibility is horse shit! I was struggling to hold the bar, on the third set I had a huge cramp in my bicep and ended up dumping the bar. So I had to finish with a safety bar flipped around. I pretty much holds itself up.

*Wed night will be my raw/volume night. This weekend will be my heavy work day. Very excited!

Bang

Freakshowelite
09-10-13, 8:19 pm
Thursday night will be row night. There will be a lot of emphasis on strengthening my upper back

Bent over row
4 sets of 8 @275

Chest supported row
3 plates
5 sets of 10

Lat pull
wide grip
3 sets of 8

Lat pull
triangle handle
3 sets of 8

Freakshowelite
09-10-13, 8:19 pm
Deathlifts in gear
- Working sets started
635x3
655x3
705x3(missed third, came back and got the third after a few min)
585x5 3 sets
500x5 5 sets

Stiff leg Deaths

2 sets of 10

Leg curls
4 sets of 20

This workout kicked my ass, but was fun to find my brink again.

Freakshowelite
09-10-13, 8:20 pm
Yet another back night! This new program is really going to test me, which is Awesome! My main focus is building a weapon of massive deathlifting destruction!

Good Morning
straight bar
135lbs 5 sets of 10
*main focus was a long slow stretch followed by a strong contraction of the glutes and hammies.
*I took a wide stance, and went Steve Goggins, knees to chest!

Chest supported row
5 sets of 10
with 3 plates+25'r

Triangle Handle Pull ups
5 sets of 5

Feeling good!

Freakshowelite
09-17-13, 5:41 pm
Bar shrugs
225lbs
5 sets of 20

DB Rows
5 sets of 10
ending with 125's

Leg Curls
4 sets of 20

Freakshowelite
09-17-13, 5:42 pm
Raw pulls no belt
3in deficit
425x3
5 sets

Front squats
PS- I fffnnnnnn hate front squats!
315x5
5 sets 60 sec rest between sets

*I still struggled with front squats again this week. I can't find a way to hold the bar that doesn't A. roll down, or B. give me massive cramps in my bicep. But hey, at least this time I didn't dump the bar.

Very well suited song for front squats

Freakshowelite
09-17-13, 5:42 pm
Thursday,

Bent over row
4 sets of 8
295lbs

Chest supported row
5 sets of 10
4 plates

Wide grip lat pull down
3 sets of 8

Close grip pull down
3 sets of 8

Freakshowelite
09-17-13, 5:43 pm
Bench
4 sets of 3
3 sec pause

Db Rear delt
4 sets of 20

Freakshowelite
09-17-13, 5:43 pm
Deathlift
working sets start at:

655x2
675x2
725x1(supposed to be a double but I missed)
725x1
605x5 3 sets
515x5 5 sets

I was absolutely cashed!

Freakshowelite
09-22-13, 8:59 pm
Thursday -
Barbell Rows - 4x8 using same weight.
Chest Supported Rows - 5 x 10
Lat Pulldowns - wide grip - 3x8
Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns - close grip - 3x8

Finally done! Now two days of rest until my final ME pull day before the NOTLD

Freakshowelite
09-22-13, 9:00 pm
We had the great honor of hosting southside bully for the weekend. Yoshi and Nutter came over to train for the weekend. Most of us are training for Relentless Detroit coming up Nov 2nd.

Bench
315x5
3 sets

DB Rear delt
lay face down on an incline bench
20lb db
4 sets of 20

Freakshowelite
09-22-13, 9:00 pm
Today was my last heavy deathlift day before the NOTLD. I convinced David Hansen to come train with me. We are both competing in the meet. This is my last heavy day, but this wed will by far be my hardest night of the cycle.

Deathlift equipt
245x3 for a few sets
325x1
425x1
515x1 Metal pro squatter, straps down
605x1
*Working sets
675x1 straps up
725x1
750x1
635x3 3 sets
550x5 5 sets

Daves heaviest set was 725 at 198. Dave has the highest coefficiant at the NOTLD.

Freakshowelite
10-16-13, 6:57 pm
Last Saturday, Saturday the 12th of Oct, I got the chance to live a long time goal of mine. Since the beginning, about 5 years ago, my friend and training partner Frankie T and I saw a video of the NOTLD meet and both swore one day we would be there. Alex Campbell, the meet director, takes the best 25 light weights and best 25 heavyweights to come battle it out for a winner take all competition based on a body weight coefficient. This year my Animal Teammate Richard "The Ant" Hawthorne took home the gold with a 639lb pull at a bodyweight of 131lbs. Thats 4.9 times bodyweight BTW! I could not have had a better experience. I hit a lifetime PR, and raised 800 dollars for Relentless Detroit because of the PR!

*Thank you so much to Joey and Tina Smith for showing Kathy and I real life Southern Hospitality! We stay with them for a few nights during and after the meet. We had a great time catching up with friends. Plus Tina is one hell of a cook, no wonder why Joey is so fluffy!

Warms up went a little like this:

135x3 4 sets
225x1 3 sets
315x1
405x1(Metal Pro Squatter straps down)
535x1
625x1(straps up) final warm up

On the Platform:

705ish: Boom!
765ish: Boom!
815.5: Boom! PR Baby!

This was the first time in over a year I hit a PR on the deathlift, and the first time I had that old feeling of being bullet proof. It felt Amazing!

*A huge HUGE thank you goes out to Animal, Dave Tate, Elitefts, Southside Bully, My Wife, my entire team at Dakota BB, Thomas Kemper, Ed May, Scott Nutter, and Frank Tekautz for daring to dream with me. Frankie if you want it you can make it there too.

Freakshowelite
10-16-13, 6:58 pm
Sunday, the day after NOTLD training for Relentless Detroit started. That was 3 weeks out for me. Training for NOTLD I had zero time to learn my single ply gear for Relentless, oh yeah I am going single ply for Relentless. FYI I honestly do love Metal Single Ply. I was very excited to be able to train at NEBO BB with Joey and his team. Thats an awesome, gifted, and promising young group of men Joey has training there. This was only my second time in the Metal Bash Pro single ply, and trust me the first time was no gem haha. This training sesh though was great.

Bar x20 3 sets
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x1(best its felt in forever)
435x1(best its felt in forever)
Metal Bash Pro Single Ply added
455x3
500x3
545x1 touch
585x1 touch

3Board Lockout with Catapult
425x3
475x3
515x3
565x3

Rope Pressdown
4 sets of 20

CG press on cable bench machine
4 sets of 20

Freakshowelite
10-17-13, 8:39 pm
Metal Single Ply Squat Gear!

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=203&pid=722

Overall I was pretty happy with how things went. My back was definetly still tired from competing this weekend, it wasn't sore by any means, just couldn't keep my chest up. My final set 775 moved pretty good I just couldn't keep my chest up. You can see I ended the lift still forward.

Bar(55lbs)x5 3 sets
145x3 2 sets
235x3
325x1
415x1
Metal V-Type Squatter
505x2 straps down
595x2
705x1
775x1 straps up
655x5 straps down

Front squat
325x5 5 sets
2 weeks till Relentless!

http://www.youcaring.com/nonprofits/relentless-detroit-2013-freakshow-s-piggy-bank/69058

Freakshowelite
10-24-13, 5:08 pm
Barx10 4 sets
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x1
445x1
Metal Bash Pro single ply
475x5 5 sets

CG Bench
315x5 4 sets

Freakshowelite
10-24-13, 5:09 pm
Metal Single Ply gear:
Metal IPF V-Type Squatter

Barx5 3 sets
145x5
195x3
235x1
325x1
415x1
Metal V-Type squatter
505x1(straps down)
635x1
725x1(straps up)
825x1
700x5(straps down)

Front squat
325x5 5sets

Freakshowelite
10-24-13, 5:09 pm
Last night was a medium paced night. I need to feel some weight without getting all gung hoe in the shirt. I decided to use my Metal Catapult.

Bench
barx10 3 sets
135x5 3 sets
185x3
225x3
275x1
315x1
Catapult added
365x1
405x1
455x1
495x1

Wam bam thank you mam, easy night

Freakshowelite
10-24-13, 5:14 pm
With all the information that is available on the internet, what would be the best advice for a new lifter and/or a lifter trying to get to the next level? What would you consider a valuable resource?

The best advice that I could give to someone in the sport can be quoted. "This shit's chess it ain't checkers"- Training Day. A lot of promising people burn out to soon simply from frustration or jealousy. I myself have been victim of these poisonous thoughts. You see people who are successful, people of great accomplishment and naturally you want that. After a few months go by, years go by, and you don't have what they have you get frustrated. You forget that their accomplishment is a product of years and decades of hard work and sacrifice. Reality sets in and you have to ask yourself is this what I really want? A lot of really promising people fall to the way side because of this. My advice is to focus on the positive, focus on how far you have come. Not what you haven't accomplished and how far you have yet to go. Nothing great comes without sacrifice. Traveling to the top, in any endeavor is a long hard and trying process. But I promise, in the end it will be worth it, it will be earned!

Freakshowelite
10-24-13, 5:14 pm
Last night was my final squat before Relentless. We are still trying to figure out what I am capable of in single ply gear. So we prob worked up a little heavier than normal this close to a meet. I ended up hitting my biggest squat in sinle ply. I love Metal Single Ply! Its like Ano tailored it strictly for me.

Warm up
-prowler
-leg press
-hip swing
-roll hips and hammies

Squat
bar(55)x5 4 sets
145x3
245x2
345x1
435x1
Metal V-Type Squatter
535x1 straps down
635x1
755x1 straps up
855x1(pr)

Leg Press
4 plates
4 sets of 20

Freakshowelite
11-05-13, 3:15 pm
I made a video to explain what Relentless means to me. It is uncut, personal, and very much real. I did not make this for sympothy or attention, I was asked for a real response and here it is.

http://youtu.be/lFZLfn1rFTs

Relentless Detroit was the biggest Relentless yet! This was the second year in Detroit, 5 Relentless's total. In 5 events Relentless has raised over $300,000 for families with children with terminal illness or facing a life threatening condition. Just a bunch of powerlifters! Gym rats! Weekend warriors! We aren't professional athletes, we don't get paid for this. Anybody in the NFL, from RG3 to 4th string quarter back could easily make this donation and it wouldn't even make a dent. This to me, is powerful, its amazing, it's inspiring! Help us take this to the next level in MN in March 2014!

*Whether you know these people or not you need to say thank you to these people responsible for Relentless. Scott and Rachel Nutter, Mike Hamilton, Tommy Westhoff, JJ Thomas, and Clay Brandenburg. These people have made Relentless their lives, putting all things unrelated on hold. Please find them via social media and just say thank you!

Freakshowelite
11-05-13, 3:17 pm
Even though this event was for the kids, and it was a charity event, that didn't mean the judges would be giving away gifts. It was actually one of the tightest ran meets I have been to. They took my ass to the hole on squats. Now not to act full of myself but I pride myself in having a legit squat, but even I thought they were burying me haha. But when you go through a meet like this you know you earned those lifts. I had two personal goals for this meet. I wanted to squat at least 900, and I wanted to total 2300, all single ply. I hit the 900 squat which I was crazy excited about, I didn't walk it out, but I still think thats a pretty great squat. I missed my third attempts on bench and deadlift so I fell short of my goal of 2300, ending with 2250. All in all I could not have been happier with my performance. Thank you so much Matt Graber for handling me the whole day, anything I needed you were there. Also thank you Rob Luyando for being such a great freind and a source of strength and positivity!

Squats:
800-good
850-good
900-good

Bench:
520-good
575-good
610-miss

Deads:
720-good
775-good
825-miss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QgYpSr8i6k&feature=share&list=UUbzbUMQgtxMAUKmNbesRccA

Thank you so much to Animal, David Tate, elitefts, Southside Bully, My wife Kathy, The Nutters, Edward May, Thomas Kemper, Matt Graber, Dakota BB, Tommy Westhoff, JJ Thomas, Paul Carter, and so many others I apologize if I leave someone out.

Firefist
11-05-13, 3:30 pm
Awesome job marshall! I'm definitely gonna do one of these in the future.

smoothballer
11-05-13, 3:58 pm
Impressive Marshall. Great Cause

Freakshowelite
11-07-13, 9:42 pm
Awesome job marshall! I'm definitely gonna do one of these in the future.

Thank you! I absolutely hope you get too, it will definitely change your life! hows your training?

Freakshowelite
11-07-13, 9:42 pm
Impressive Marshall. Great Cause

thank you very much for the support, hopefully this expands so theres more across the country