PDA

View Full Version : Symmetry problem with my arms

T-Buch
08-07-13, 1:15 pm
hey guys I'm Training for my first show ever at the begging of next year. I have an issue with my front double Bi where my left arm is noticeably smaller than my right. Is there something I can do in my training to fix that?

Thanks

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
08-07-13, 1:26 pm
hey guys I'm Training for my first show ever at the begging of next year. I have an issue with my front double Bi where my left arm is noticeably smaller than my right. Is there something I can do in my training to fix that?

Thanks

I would recommend doing more unilateral movements overall. Sometimes when you use a bar you can overcompensate with one side or the other. Using dumbells or doing one arm at a time can eliminate that variable. If you feel that there is a huge difference, maybe do 1 extra set of each exercise with the lagging side.

rainman
08-07-13, 2:20 pm
Try using the cable machine for curls. Get a cable handle on each side, set the pivot to the base of the machine and perform curls slow and controlled. Sometimes when I have been carrying an injury I'll overcompensate with one arm when using a bar, so switching to cables for a week or so helps keep me in check.

I would also go out on a limb here and say that wide grip weighted chins have built my arms up more than curls ever have done. It's pretty difficult to favour one arm over the other doing these, so add these in your routine if you haven't done already.

KettleBellFreak
08-08-13, 10:49 am
Man I've got the same problem. Right dominates left. Add like 10 pounds of weight higher to the left side of barbell moves and make sure you compensate with your left side. Or do single arm movements for multiple sets before working the arms together with barbell curls or skull crushers.

Riffmaster
08-11-13, 12:20 am
I'd try using lighter weights, so you can make sure you're getting the,proper contraction. I have the same problem,and this helped me. The smallest thing can affect the biggest outcome. Wrist positinioning, elbow position, etc. Best of luck!

Swolepez
08-12-13, 12:14 am
I have the same problem...my left tri, bi & forearm are a bit smaller.....so I'm using dumbbells on all arm exercises and even most of my pressing movements like chest press & shoulder press so that each side is lifting equally.....sometimes I will add 1-2 extra sets for my left arm where I drop set or rest pause or do forced negatives to force my left arm to grow and catch up lol..

Dan0eh
08-19-13, 5:38 pm
Same problem, my left is slightly smaller than my right. When I do dumbbell curls I always start with my smaller arm and never let my right arm do more reps than my left. Sometimes I'll even do a set, left than right, then wait like 20 seconds and just do my left again then rest for a minute and do another set left then right. So far that has worked for me.