PDA

View Full Version : HIT Mentzer/Yates Style?

rbowman91
08-08-13, 2:29 pm
Fellas,

I've used many different training styles over the last few years, but never actually experiemented much with the very low volume Dorian Yates/Mike Mentzer styles of trainings: HIT.

Does anyone train like this and have some advice on how to get started? I was looking at them online, and doing 1-2 sets per muscle group to failure doesnt even seem like it would wreck me the way other training styles would.

Can anyone with HIT knowledge/experience please shed some light on this? I want to try it out, but want to make sure I'm doing it the right way. or if anyone can show an example program that would be great.

Swolepez
08-08-13, 7:56 pm
Haven't really researched much about Mentzer's style......but I did DC training or DoggCrapp training which was low volume, valued stretching each muscle group & involved rest pausing. The point was to continually beat your previous workout in either reps or weight thus forcing body/muscle into adaption. It's a lot more complicated than that but it's a lot to explaining so I suggest reading up on it for a couple of days before attempting the program...in fact they recommend not to do this program unless you've been training seriously for 3-5 years. Overall = I gained mass from the program....even when adding cardio and reducing cals..

just recently switched to Dorian's Hit routine ( bc although I like low volume I missed having chest day & such) about two week ago. I do the split that looks like this...
Mon = shoulders, traps, tris
Tues = back, rear delts
Wed = off
Thurs = chest, bi's
Friday = off
Sat = legs
Sun = off
With this training you do only 1 working set of each exercise. To make it more intense I take 3-4 sec on the negative/eccentric portion of the lift and do 2-4 negatives with each lift. I use weight heavy to allow about 6-8 reps (and do forced negatives for 2- more reps). Obviously with Negatives you need a spotter ( my wife spots me) so I would suggest having someone to spot you so you could go past failure on some exercises. Me personally I write down all my reps and weight on each exercise in order to beat my previous workout either in reps or weight.....

..also remember, when doing a low volume, heavy weight, and going past failure style of training you can't keep it going for a year straight...even Yates had off loading weeks and such about every 6 weeks or so....every one is different so your going have to see how long you can up this style of training before you need a deloading week or two or complete week of rest.....

Main point: In my opinion any training style can be bring results with added overload. I believe the key is to continually overload your muscles with either beating you previous reps or weight or adding more intensity by adding more sets, or reducing time between sets, doing drop sets, negatives, forced reps and such. I like low volume training and plan to stick to it for now...hope this helps a little bit bro

iamthemacattack
08-09-13, 10:40 am
yeah, me and Joe J both train this way.

Awesome style of training once you get your head around it.

Go heavy, go hard, go home.

One of the most important things about HIT is to make sure you don't over train and get plenty of rest.

Also having a good spotter is a huge advantage and will help you force those extra couple of reps out.

I think this style of training can help build a more powerful looking physique

rbowman91
08-09-13, 12:53 pm
Awesome thanks fellas.

Actually, abouT Doggcrapp:

I've researched it a lot over the past few weeks, but always been hesitant to try it since its only 3x a week training. I typically train 5x a week, so my concern is still making gains with such a decrease in frequency.

Did you train 3x a week on DC and actually feel like your muscles were getting wrecked?

Swolepez
08-09-13, 11:37 pm
Awesome thanks fellas.

Actually, abouT Doggcrapp:

I've researched it a lot over the past few weeks, but always been hesitant to try it since its only 3x a week training. I typically train 5x a week, so my concern is still making gains with such a decrease in frequency.

Did you train 3x a week on DC and actually feel like your muscles were getting wrecked?

Yeah bro it worked....I trained mon, wed & fri. and I honestly felt like I needed that rest day between each workout...plus your suppose to perform cardio on the off days so you still get some form of exercise...

with dorian Yates routine, I only train 4x a week....3-4x a week will be my max bc I feel with HIT training that if your pushing yourself past failure then you need those rest days..

Swolepez
08-09-13, 11:38 pm
yeah, me and Joe J both train this way.

Awesome style of training once you get your head around it.

Go heavy, go hard, go home.

One of the most important things about HIT is to make sure you don't over train and get plenty of rest.

Also having a good spotter is a huge advantage and will help you force those extra couple of reps out.

I think this style of training can help build a more powerful looking physique

I agree with EVERYTHING you said here bro..... side note: I never use to grunt or make noises when lifting but I feel with HIT training that I have to or I wont get that weight up sometimes lol....

iamthemacattack
08-12-13, 6:04 am
Yeah bro it worked....I trained mon, wed & fri. and I honestly felt like I needed that rest day between each workout...plus your suppose to perform cardio on the off days so you still get some form of exercise...

I agree, when you really push hard that extra rest day is vital for recovery and growth.

with dorian Yates routine, I only train 4x a week....3-4x a week will be my max bc I feel with HIT training that if your pushing yourself past failure then you need those rest days..

I agree with EVERYTHING you said here bro..... side note: I never use to grunt or make noises when lifting but I feel with HIT training that I have to or I wont get that weight up sometimes lol....

Hahaha, same here, I usually train very quietly, but sometimes you need to grunt!

Swolepez
08-13-13, 6:56 pm
Hahaha, same here, I usually train very quietly, but sometimes you need to grunt!

Haha, yeah I usually have my headphones on so hopefully i'm not grunting too loud lol...i'm a quiet lifter as well

Swolepez
08-13-13, 6:57 pm
Hellraiser Training is also pretty low volume and high intensity...im going to do dorian yates routine for 6 wks and then give HRT a go..

RK
08-13-13, 7:44 pm
I saw my biggest gains ever when using a Dorian style HIT. would throw it into the mix for 4-6 weeks then go back to a higher volume training.

You NEED a training partner or at least someone in the gym to spot you to trully follow the protocol. Also make sure you get enough rest, it wears you down super fast. But if neither of those are issues, get ready for one hell of a ride!