PDA

View Full Version : Bum knee and effective leg training and staks

jnature
08-15-13, 10:48 pm
Hi All

Need some advice. Im definitely a textbook hard gainer and I inherited a bum right knee. I used to be able to squat heavy and often. However my knee got gradually worse (i know some are thinking bad form amd rather than try to disuade you of that - anythingnis possinle) but now my knee pops even when I'm walking and is very uncomfortable. Regular gluclosamine tabs helped but I need some advice on how I can still try to grow my glutes, hams, quads, and calves especially. I can still do light squats and heavy leg press. Growing my calves are especially difficult. Any thoughts?

I'm 5`10, 160lbs, 6% body fat.
Stacking M-Stak and Pump. I had better results stacking Stak and Pump which I'm restarting tomorrow.

Thanks Guys

Firefist
08-16-13, 9:09 am
If you can do heavy leg press, I don't think there is any reason why you cant do moderate to heavy squats. Popping can be a number of things and no one can really give you a diagnosis through a computer screen haha. If it pops and you feel really unstable on it, please go see your physician.

Preventative maintanence is the name of the game homie. Wear sleeves, wear wraps. And I know you don't want to hear it, but check your form. If your knees are bowing in at all, well, you might have just found the answer. Squats are crucial to lower body development, and though light squats might have their place in this world, I'm from the school that likes moderate to heavy-as-shit-to-me-weight.

I'm not saying this as a guy who has never had knee problems and wouldnt understand. I've had 2 surgeries on my left knee.

Good luck man.

jnature
08-16-13, 7:34 pm
If you can do heavy leg press, I don't think there is any reason why you cant do moderate to heavy squats. Popping can be a number of things and no one can really give you a diagnosis through a computer screen haha. If it pops and you feel really unstable on it, please go see your physician.

Preventative maintanence is the name of the game homie. Wear sleeves, wear wraps. And I know you don't want to hear it, but check your form. If your knees are bowing in at all, well, you might have just found the answer. Squats are crucial to lower body development, and though light squats might have their place in this world, I'm from the school that likes moderate to heavy-as-shit-to-me-weight.

I'm not saying this as a guy who has never had knee problems and wouldnt understand. I've had 2 surgeries on my left knee.

Good luck man.

Thanks man and I don't mind hearing it. I try to be humble in life. I will consider the straps to. However I didn't have any issues with bowing in knees. Just was uncomfortable on the descent. I do agree might be doc time. Maybe I've spiked myself out pick but maybe I'll try it again with straps. How do feel about squats on the smith machine? I ask cuz I always workout alone hence no spotter.

Thanks again homie

Firefist
08-16-13, 9:24 pm
Thanks man and I don't mind hearing it. I try to be humble in life. I will consider the straps to. However I didn't have any issues with bowing in knees. Just was uncomfortable on the descent. I do agree might be doc time. Maybe I've spiked myself out pick but maybe I'll try it again with straps. How do feel about squats on the smith machine? I ask cuz I always workout alone hence no spotter.

Thanks again homie

Some say the smith is better (for injured joints) because you can position yourself in a way that wont hurt you But I say that can cause weakness due to adjusting your form to the machine. I think free weight squat is safest, as its all you and theres no bars on the side dictating how you squat. If you are worried about failing, set the safety bars higher so you can bail. No shame in dropping weight man.

Wraps and sleeves have done wonders for me. The support goes a long way homie.

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
08-17-13, 1:57 am
Hey Jnature, In order to better answer your question, I need some more information.
1. How old are you?
2. Is there any pain in knee or just the clicking noise?
3. You used to Squat Heavy.
A. How long ago?
B. How heavy (LBS/KG)?
4. Are you taking FLEX? If not, you should!
5. Do you have any videos of you squatting?

There's always hope, as long as there is life in the body, and the will to do it! Please let me know the answers to the above questions, the more accurate and complete the info you give me, the better the answer is I can give you!

Wrath
08-19-13, 2:05 pm
I have been battling bad knees for years. But do what I can to work around it. I warm up on the bike for 5 mins then I start with hams find it warms up my knees. Then I start leg press I find it the least pain full. I will do squats mid work out or at then end. The knees are nice and warmed up. What ever it takes man

Dan0eh
08-19-13, 5:33 pm
Idk if this would be the reason your having knee pain or not but every since 2006 during my senior year of track my left knee has been killing me and I've had to do somewhat the same routine as Wrath then about 3 years ago I started wearing wrestling shoes (I read somewhere that a flat shoe sole helps strengthen the muscles in your feet that go dormant wearing cushiony soles and that causes muscles in your leg to strain more which in turn strains muscles attach to your knee) and rolling my IT Band out 2-3 times a week and I haven't had any pain since then.