PDA

View Full Version : Help on Deadlifts

Thunder Chicken
09-13-13, 11:02 am
So im pretty sure i still cant get this right, i have been playing around with deadlifts, i wanna do them and get strong, trying it alone and watching people on youtube, i have got away from doing them because i cant get my form right from the start! i don't have a training partner or someone that knows what they are doing that lives around me. i have a strong rack pull but if i start from the ground i don't think Im doing it right, sometimes i feel like i am bending my back (i know that's bad) i just need help, i can wait till the Arnold and have someone help me at the ABC or if there is an ABC near me in the future i will try and go. thanks.

DEADn
09-13-13, 11:26 am
So im pretty sure i still cant get this right, i have been playing around with deadlifts, i wanna do them and get strong, trying it alone and watching people on youtube, i have got away from doing them because i cant get my form right from the start! i don't have a training partner or someone that knows what they are doing that lives around me. i have a strong rack pull but if i start from the ground i don't think Im doing it right, sometimes i feel like i am bending my back (i know that's bad) i just need help, i can wait till the Arnold and have someone help me at the ABC or if there is an ABC near me in the future i will try and go. thanks.

Here is what I did because I had issued. I am 6'1" with long legs. I had trouble with deadlifts as well until I learned a trick and now understand what I did wrong.

You have to get your BUTT DOWN. Easier said than done for long legs. I grabbed the bar and leaned my shins against the bar. I looked forward but then pushed myself to look upward at a slant which helped my butt to lower. Than in an instant I grabbed the bar hard and pushed up through my legs. Looking upward at a slant helped my butt to fall and then I focused on pushing upward through my legs. Once I get passed a certain point than my back does the rest.

As a result of doing this I gained PR's today! This morning. I hit 315lbs for 1 reps. Then I did 365lbs for 1 rep and then back it down to 315lbs for 5 reps. I recorded the first to 2 reps.

Grab the bar, shins against the bar at an angle, head up forward and even at an angle upward. Once I feel my butt fall I grab the bar hard and push upward through my legs and it just goes.

I hope this helps because this is what I learned. My training couldn't tell me this. He said I was good before that but inwardly it didn't feel good until I changed this. When I changed and I threw up 315lbs fast he looked at me and said 'DAMN!'. I just laughed and held 315lbs for 10 seconds laughing at myself. My grips is getting very good as well. I don't want straps.

Firefist
09-13-13, 11:28 am
Nothing better than posting a video so everyone can see whats going on brother. I'm sure all the resident deadlifters in the house will be able to help you then.

If you're having problems from the floor though, I'd recommend deficits and banded from the floor lifts.

Thunder Chicken
09-13-13, 12:11 pm
Here is what I did because I had issued. I am 6'1" with long legs. I had trouble with deadlifts as well until I learned a trick and now understand what I did wrong.

You have to get your BUTT DOWN. Easier said than done for long legs. I grabbed the bar and leaned my shins against the bar. I looked forward but then pushed myself to look upward at a slant which helped my butt to lower. Than in an instant I grabbed the bar hard and pushed up through my legs. Looking upward at a slant helped my butt to fall and then I focused on pushing upward through my legs. Once I get passed a certain point than my back does the rest.

As a result of doing this I gained PR's today! This morning. I hit 315lbs for 1 reps. Then I did 365lbs for 1 rep and then back it down to 315lbs for 5 reps. I recorded the first to 2 reps.

Grab the bar, shins against the bar at an angle, head up forward and even at an angle upward. Once I feel my butt fall I grab the bar hard and push upward through my legs and it just goes.

I hope this helps because this is what I learned. My training couldn't tell me this. He said I was good before that but inwardly it didn't feel good until I changed this. When I changed and I threw up 315lbs fast he looked at me and said 'DAMN!'. I just laughed and held 315lbs for 10 seconds laughing at myself. My grips is getting very good as well. I don't want straps.

Nothing better than posting a video so everyone can see whats going on brother. I'm sure all the resident deadlifters in the house will be able to help you then.

If you're having problems from the floor though, I'd recommend deficits and banded from the floor lifts.

i will see if i am getting my butt down, i know i was always told my knees shouldn't go past the bar when i go to lift and they do all the time, i cant figure that out. also firefist i didnt think of that, next time i try them i will tape it and see what i am doing

SquatPressPull
09-13-13, 12:12 pm
i will see if i am getting my butt down, i know i was always told my knees shouldn't go past the bar when i go to lift and they do all the time, i cant figure that out. also firefist i didnt think of that, next time i try them i will tape it and see what i am doing

I think you have squat and dead lifts confused....

I agree with FireFist, get a video, side/angle shot. That'd be the best way to see what's going on.

Thunder Chicken
09-13-13, 12:13 pm
I think you have squat and dead lifts confused....

I agree with FireFist, get a video, side/angle shot. That'd be the best way to see what's going on.

lol good deal

SquatPressPull
09-13-13, 12:15 pm
lol good deal

Wow.. read it again. Your knees are going to naturally extend out past the bars, as you pull, your knees will have to go back to allow the bar to come up on your thighs.

4 hours of sleep for the (not) win.

Thunder Chicken
09-13-13, 12:19 pm
Wow.. read it again. Your knees are going to naturally extend out past the bars, as you pull, your knees will have to go back to allow the bar to come up on your thighs.

4 hours of sleep for the (not) win.

i get what u mean, i just know that is what i have been told in the past, going back to me saying no one around me knows what is going on and so many people are confusing me with what i am trying to get done. so i figured people on here would be more help then they was

DEADn
09-13-13, 12:47 pm
My knees go past the bar. I don't have my shins on the bar until I bend down and then they touch the bar at an angle and this way the leverage is there and then it is just a matter of pulling straight up. All legs in the beginning, with a good grip, and then the back takes over halfway through.

J Wolf
09-15-13, 10:23 pm
Get your glutes back, if you have issues getting a strong floor pull, do some sumo deads for a few weeks and get more glute engagement, you could also try to do good mornings.
EliteFTS put out a good video series, so I would check it out, its call " So you think you can deadlift" its on youtube. just search... so you think you can deadlift elitefts and you will be able to find it and watch the whole series, good info for sure.

The Ant
09-18-13, 8:36 pm

You have any videos if so post one here

Blondie Weapon X
09-18-13, 8:47 pm

Hey come into the Y on Thursday, if you are free, and join us, we start at 7.
We started training with the CUBE method about 6 weeks ago. HUGE SUCCESS for all of us.

We train on Mon, Tues, Thur & Sat. Come anytime

Thunder Chicken
09-22-13, 8:42 am
You have any videos if so post one here

i had some issues with my hand so i took sometime off per the doctor, but i will be taping one here soon when i get back at it.

Hey come into the Y on Thursday, if you are free, and join us, we start at 7.
We started training with the CUBE method about 6 weeks ago. HUGE SUCCESS for all of us.

We train on Mon, Tues, Thur & Sat. Come anytime

i might have to join you guys in the near future, thanks!

blokpost
09-22-13, 9:57 am

useful post. I'm the same height and didn't know how to do deadlifts correctly (not to hurt my back) but by time I understood how to lift and now I'm working my back out just as you posted :)

Jay
09-22-13, 12:00 pm
There is some great info on youtube. I don't have anyone that I can train with, and Im a visual learner so I had to get some help from the net. One of my favorites is supertrainingtv.com - they have a youtube channel as well. They have a lot of great information on deadlifting, and even have commentary during the videos. It has helped me.

The Ant
09-23-13, 9:00 am
i had some issues with my hand so i took sometime off per the doctor, but i will be taping one here soon when i get back at it.

i might have to join you guys in the near future, thanks!

ok sound good hope the hand's all good

Ernie Lilliebridge Sr
09-27-13, 3:05 am
Seriously bro, a video would be invaluable! A picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth at least 10X that!