PDA

View Full Version : Help On Legs

jnature
09-18-13, 2:27 pm
Hi All

So I've spent the last few weeks prepping my knee for returning to squats after some issues and discomfort for an extended period of time. Legs feel healthy and ready now.

I've started off slow and building from the ground back up to make sure my form is good. I've taken some tips on form and style from the links below.

Any thoughts on doing 5X5 for ATG Squats around medium weight - for me thats around 185lb right now.

Also my calves have been struggling to grow for years. I've been doing Ben Pulaskis two calve works twice a week.

These are just three workouts but I'm also doing heavy leg press, lunges, lying leg curls, leg extensions, stiff leg dead lifts. I feel some difference but not seeing any real changes in my quads, hams, glutes, or calves.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU-awOLwNzQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player - Ben Pulaski
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AVIgDN72c0 - Ben Pulaski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUOQoMpYvXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nY8IzoIhjM

Goldstone
09-18-13, 2:54 pm
Hi All

So I've spent the last few weeks prepping my knee for returning to squats after some issues and discomfort for an extended period of time. Legs feel healthy and ready now.

I've started off slow and building from the ground back up to make sure my form is good. I've taken some tips on form and style from the links below.

Any thoughts on doing 5X5 for ATG Squats around medium weight - for me thats around 185lb right now.

Also my calves have been struggling to grow for years. I've been doing Ben Pulaskis two calve works twice a week.

These are just three workouts but I'm also doing heavy leg press, lunges, lying leg curls, leg extensions, stiff leg dead lifts. I feel some difference but not seeing any real changes in my quads, hams, glutes, or calves.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU-awOLwNzQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player - Ben Pulaski
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AVIgDN72c0 - Ben Pulaski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUOQoMpYvXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nY8IzoIhjM

What's your current setups looking like now? You've mentioned you want to squat below parallel, which is great. But what does your programming look like for your working sets? Sheiko? Smolov Jr 23, 32, 43, 904? 5/3/1?

How are you programming your assistance work?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just want to know where you're so we can help you. I can give you a blanket routine of what works for me, but you might respond to different types of training/volume differently. How long have you been lifting total?

If you want just a basic recommendation: run Wendler's 5/3/1 Boring But Big template for 3 months to kick start everything.

Hope that helps.

jnature
09-18-13, 3:21 pm
What's your current setups looking like now? You've mentioned you want to squat below parallel, which is great. But what does your programming look like for your working sets? Sheiko? Smolov Jr 23, 32, 43, 904? 5/3/1?

How are you programming your assistance work?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just want to know where you're so we can help you. I can give you a blanket routine of what works for me, but you might respond to different types of training/volume differently. How long have you been lifting total?

If you want just a basic recommendation: run Wendler's 5/3/1 Boring But Big template for 3 months to kick start everything.

Hope that helps.

Hey no I dont think your being a dick or anything. Honestly your schooling me right now so I dont know what you mean? Can you elaborate on what you mean by programming? (My entire routine including sets and reps?)

I've been lifting 8 1/2 years but - had some health issues that caused a lot of weight loss awhile back which also has been a struggle to regain. I'm going to lookup the Wendlers template now.

Thanks so far!

Goldstone
09-18-13, 3:29 pm
Hey no I dont think your being a dick or anything. Honestly your schooling me right now so I dont know what you mean? Can you elaborate on what you mean by programming? (My entire routine including sets and reps?)

I've been lifting 8 1/2 years but - had some health issues that caused a lot of weight loss awhile back which also has been a struggle to regain. I'm going to lookup the Wendlers template now.

Thanks so far!

By programming I mean:

- What is your training split looking like? How many days a week are you lifting, and what are you training on each day?

- Is you training setup to train/improve movements like the big four: squat/bench/deadlift/overhead press? Or is it a legs day, arms day, shoulders day, back day kind of approach?

- Do you have a rhyme or reason to the sets you lift? With 5/3/1 (for example) you have three main working sets, where you go for rep PR's on the last working set of that first exercise (squat/bench/deadlift/overhead press). Do you go into the workout with a goal? Or just go by feel and see how the workout goes?

There's a lot more to it than the above, but those are some basics. If you don't have answers or don't know, that's perfectly fine. We've all been in your spot before trying to learn, so please ask questions and don't feel like anything is stupid.

jnature
09-18-13, 3:38 pm
By programming I mean:

- What is your training split looking like? How many days a week are you lifting, and what are you training on each day?

- Is you training setup to train/improve movements like the big four: squat/bench/deadlift/overhead press? Or is it a legs day, arms day, shoulders day, back day kind of approach?

- Do you have a rhyme or reason to the sets you lift? With 5/3/1 (for example) you have three main working sets, where you go for rep PR's on the last working set of that first exercise (squat/bench/deadlift/overhead press). Do you go into the workout with a goal? Or just go by feel and see how the workout goes?

There's a lot more to it than the above, but those are some basics. If you don't have answers or don't know, that's perfectly fine. We've all been in your spot before trying to learn, so please ask questions and don't feel like anything is stupid.

Ok yeah cool that makes sense. I've actually tried to stick with the training routine from this site (number 9) which was good. Just I needed more now.

I'm about 4 days a week with the goal of mass gaining / bulking. I try to split the days based on (from what I learned) body parts that compliment each other; back and biceps, chest and tris, or chest, shoulders, and tris, Legs and calves between 4 days. Each day I end with abs. Except I'll end my chest day with the calf workout I posted the link for.

I must say I work out solo alot so I dont get to bench a lot but I'll do heavy dumbbells incline and flat and flys. I deadlift on back day; squat of course on leg day and overhead press with bar and dumbbells on shoulder day. The goal in my head is each set should be a strain / struggle not just the last one.

Thanks

Goldstone
09-18-13, 4:48 pm
Ok yeah cool that makes sense. I've actually tried to stick with the training routine from this site (number 9) which was good. Just I needed more now.

I'm about 4 days a week with the goal of mass gaining / bulking. I try to split the days based on (from what I learned) body parts that compliment each other; back and biceps, chest and tris, or chest, shoulders, and tris, Legs and calves between 4 days. Each day I end with abs. Except I'll end my chest day with the calf workout I posted the link for.

I must say I work out solo alot so I dont get to bench a lot but I'll do heavy dumbbells incline and flat and flys. I deadlift on back day; squat of course on leg day and overhead press with bar and dumbbells on shoulder day. The goal in my head is each set should be a strain / struggle not just the last one.

Thanks

If that's working for you, don't try and fix it. Sounds like you have a solid bodybuilding split!

Don't be afraid to push the reps with lighter weights for more hypertrophy, especially if you train solo. Would probably be a good thing if you're recovering from what I assume to be some kind of injuries or issues in the past. Force some blood in there, but be smart. Don't go ballistic with the assistance work after your main exercise.

Are you able to find a training partner? Definitely something to look into, as it will take your training to the next level with the right person.

jnature
09-23-13, 6:02 pm
If that's working for you, don't try and fix it. Sounds like you have a solid bodybuilding split!

Don't be afraid to push the reps with lighter weights for more hypertrophy, especially if you train solo. Would probably be a good thing if you're recovering from what I assume to be some kind of injuries or issues in the past. Force some blood in there, but be smart. Don't go ballistic with the assistance work after your main exercise.

Are you able to find a training partner? Definitely something to look into, as it will take your training to the next level with the right person.

Hey sorry for late reply but since I've done this I've switched to the 5x5 medium to heavy weight ATG squats full time. Lovin it! And you are right the lighter weight also is making a big difference.